/vg/station lighting

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: /vg/station lighting

Post by Steelpoint » #264977

Bottom post of the previous page:

I did a quick check in game, here's a comparison between the three main light sources. PDA, Flashlight and Flare.

PDA Light (same light level irrespective if you hold it in your hand or its on your ID slot)
Spoiler:
Flashlight (Note: Sec Light is slightly better)
Spoiler:
Flare
Spoiler:
Amusingly a penlight offers more light than the PDA light.

------------------

I think two changes are warrented.

Firstly, the PDA light should offer the samelight levels that the penlight offers.

Secondly, more flashlight spawns should be made available within departments.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #264980

It's easier to see with the blindness disability than with a PDA light. It strains my eyes to try and see the screen.
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #264981

Iatots wrote:On box, medbay and the general recreational areas have no readily accessible lights outside maintenance. Sci and sec have a whopping 1 O2 closet each.
On meta, departments have around 1 roll at a lightsource, with some like sec having a desk lamp.

The dumb guy here is you, because you don't seem able to grasp that PDAs suddenly not providing a decent light source seriously nerfs the general crew as some people clearly are having difficulty orientating themselves on little to no light.
> Security
> Lacking light sources

Dude, they have lockers and vendors full of seclites, practically standard security equipment which also happens to be the best type of flashlights available on the station. That's like saying security has a shortage of flashes. Science can also easily make an autolathe and mass produce flashlights, or even NVGs if they and miners actually did their jobs. You can also use PDA light just fine enough to locate and acquire an actual light source in the nearest locker.

Stop using your own incompetence as an argument.
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #265000

Pda lights had it coming get good
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #265004

glowshrooms need to have their green colour lowered, some things could do with less saturated colours for lighting

i've had ahelps about performance issues

i wish this works out though, it's pretty atmospheric at times
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #265005

oh my god that new PDA light range is atrocious

it was in a good place before - it was enough to not be totally blind and navigate, but an actual light source was still a million times better
Limey wrote:its too late.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #265009

I would be more of a fan of this if it was purely a visual change and didn't rebalance lighting entirely and randomly
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #265010

danno wrote:I would be more of a fan of this if it was purely a visual change and didn't rebalance lighting entirely and randomly
EDIT: To be fair it was likely unintentional and will be fixed, but.. yeah
Limey wrote:its too late.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #265014

I didn't truly understand the pda light until it was too late, at least buff it to see the tile the SPACEMAN IS ON.
lntigracy
Confined to the shed
Byond Username: Intigracy

Post by lntigracy » #265018

The PDA light isn't anywhere near that bad on /vg/. This is something TGcoders did
in advance of my eventual forum ban, I just wanted to say
you are mom is gay
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #265024

lntigracy wrote:The PDA light isn't anywhere near that bad on /vg/. This is something TGcoders did
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... d64ff2cf73

So the offending line in the code is light_power = 0.35

https://github.com/d3athrow/vgstation13 ... PDA/PDA.dm

Which /vg/ lacks as far as I can tell

Clearly PBJ was just fucking with us
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265026

I told you cucks that you literally can't see even with the PDA light, I can barely even see my dude's face and they're a goddamn albino with yellow hair. Buff this shit.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #265028

This just shows that you guys suck at testing.
you are mom is gay
cedarbridge
Byond Username: Cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265047

Under old lighting I never had a reason to use anything but my PDA light since it already lit up most rooms entirely. That's completely retarded for the light equivalent of a cell phone screen.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265048

>Lit up most rooms entirely

So? Better that than them being utterly fucking useless. Plus, I never even used the pdalight except when I needed to because you couldn't quickly cut them off to go into STEALTH MODE in dark areas.
Last edited by ShadowDimentio on Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #265049

cedarbridge wrote:Under old lighting I never had a reason to use anything but my PDA light since it already lit up most rooms entirely. That's completely retarded for the light equivalent of a cell phone screen.
PDAs have actual lightbulbs in them.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265050

ShadowDimentio wrote:>Lit up most rooms entirely

So? Better that than them being utterly fucking useless. Plus, I never even used the pdalight except when I needed to because you couldn't quickly cut them off to go into STEALTH MODE in dark areas.
>darkness as a mechanic and antag tool/hazard should be entirely removed by a roundstart item that literally everyone has
No
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #265051

I agree that darkness should be an hazard, but I would like to see at the very least the tiles around me with my PDA light.
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265052

TrustyGun wrote:I agree that darkness should be an hazard, but I would like to see at the very least the tiles around me with my PDA light.
Look at Steelpoint's post above. You can definitely see your tile and the tiles immediately around it.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #265054

In a well lit room I had to turn my brightness on my phone all the way up and zoom in to properly view it.

Now imagine if I was on a computer..
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265056

cedarbridge wrote:
TrustyGun wrote:I agree that darkness should be an hazard, but I would like to see at the very least the tiles around me with my PDA light.
Look at Steelpoint's post above. You can definitely see your tile and the tiles immediately around it.
No you can't you idiot, you can literally barely see your own face. How goddamn bright do you have your screen!?
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265058

ShadowDimentio wrote:
cedarbridge wrote:
No you can't you idiot, you can literally barely see your own face. How goddamn bright do you have your screen!?
There's nothing special about this laptop's settings. I'm glad you can tell me what I'm seeing though. I mean, from my view I can clearly see the atmos ports on the tiles directly adjacent to Steelpoint's mob but the vision does not extend to the wall. I mean, if you run around with your gamma turned all the way down I could see that being both an issue and your own lookout.

Again, I don't think PDAs should ever return to what they once were. Nobody ever used flashlights before unless 1) they got PDA bombed and couldn't find a replacement 2) it was really am EMP flashlight.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #265066

Speak for yourself baka boy, I never used the PDA light instead of flashlights.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
Shaps-cloud
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Shaps

Post by Shaps-cloud » #265069

I used flashlights and helmet lights all the time before, what are you talking about
P.S. Shoot Dr. Allen on sight and dissolve his body in acid. Don't burn it.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #265075

It takes about 30 seconds to adjust the lighting value of a light, what the fuck are you all making 300 posts about it for
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #265081

People can't be assed. I changed the formula for alcohol poisoning after three months of constant complaining by people who couldn't be bothered to change one number.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #265083

not a fan of the new darkness tiles, they're a nerf compared to old darkness in which you could hide in semi-dark tiles and easily get by unnoticed, whilst now you have to be in 100% absolute darkness for any chance to hide. Also it just doesn't look very good to me. the darkness also feels very oppressive even when in full lit areas but im not sure if thats a good or bad thing.
colored lights need to be applied in moderation, its becoming apparent that it's getting out of control looking at the github.
things that didnt emit light before shouldn't suddenly start emitting light just so they can have colorful lighting.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #265086

oranges wrote:It takes about 30 seconds to adjust the lighting value of a light, what the fuck are you all making 300 posts about it for
It's a Bikeshed thread but instead of building the bikeshed you're tweaking the value of the light in the bikeshed.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #265089

Consider the following:

Become proficient
Stop being bad
Desist being inexperienced
Gain ability
Acquire skill
Don't be not good
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #265094

If people using PDA lights to see is so triggering just give them a chance to turn off now and then. Then it would be unreliable and inferior to dedicated lightsources.
The solution is always RNG.

Also, only 90s kids remember old darkness when things were just dark and not pitch black.
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #265101

It's a fucking PDA light, if you try to navigate around a dark room with your cell phone it's going to be about the same amount of light
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #265103

Yeah but smart people use the flashlight function on their phone
MrStonedOne
Host
Byond Username: MrStonedOne
Github Username: MrStonedOne

Post by MrStonedOne » #265105

bandit wrote:It's a fucking PDA light, if you try to navigate around a dark room with your cell phone it's going to be about the same amount of light
oh no.....

My cell phone light puts out enough light that I can see an entire room pretty well. its 80 to 100 lumens, the avg nightlight you find in the bath room (the kind with that small bulb on some receptacle and some kids related face plate covering the front of the bulb is 45 lumens.

The light output of the pda in their current form is like, 5lumens, less then the screen output of an iphone (10 lumens).
Forum/Wiki Administrator, Server host, Database King, Master Coder
MrStonedOne on digg(banned), Steam, IRC, Skype Discord. (!vAKvpFcksg)
NSFW:
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #265108

cedarbridge wrote:Nobody ever used flashlights before unless 1) they got PDA bombed and couldn't find a replacement 2) it was really am EMP flashlight.
All the more reason to nerf PDA lights?
Anonmare wrote:Consider the following:

Become proficient
Stop being bad
Desist being inexperienced
Gain ability
Acquire skill
Don't be not good
This tbh
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #265114

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... PDA.dm#L31
change this to f_lum = 2 or f_lum = 1 so the light isn't insanely bright

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... PDA.dm#L60
remove this

suddenly you can use the PDA light enough to where you can actually see

alternatively if you want to keep it really shitty but slightly better, change the second one to 0.5 and change nothing else
you are mom is gay
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #265117

The dynamic lighting is really pretty.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
onleavedontatme

Post by onleavedontatme » #265135

Please stop arguing about realism it has little impact on our design thank you.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #265176

Iatots wrote:
Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not get poisoned.
You can just dodge the bullets.
You can just not die.
You could just have an argument
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #265205

PKPenguin321 wrote:
Iatots wrote:
Sligneris wrote:ITT: People don't realize they can just grab a flashlight; instead they expect PDA light to solve all their problems.
You can just not die.
You could read the rest of that conversation instead of making low effort comments.

When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
Was it HG that trained you to eat shit and ask for seconds?
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #265209

We should just make all crewmembers immune to poison, invulnerable to bullets and immortal. That way, no one will ever need to powergame in order to survive.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #265210

I believe that intensity "light_power" and range "light_range" can be changed separately. Perhaps we could increase the intensity of the lights while limiting the range.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #265216

Sligneris wrote:We should just make all crewmembers immune to poison, invulnerable to bullets and immortal. That way, no one will ever need to powergame in order to survive.
What a great rebuttal.
It seems in your efforts to increase your imaginary post count you have paid no attention to a certain motif in this thread, which is that the change to the light a PDA emits is not a deliberate attempt at a rebalance, unless the porter tried to sneak it in unannounced. You can make any number of arguments for/against an eventual rebalance, but when an object the whole crew carries is UNWILLINGLY broken, your go-to response can't be "just use other object X".
lntigracy
Confined to the shed

Post by lntigracy » #265218

Gun Hog wrote:I believe that intensity "light_power" and range "light_range" can be changed separately. Perhaps we could increase the intensity of the lights while limiting the range.
My post explains how to fix things ffs
you are mom is gay
Slignerd
Github User

Post by Slignerd » #265220

PDA is meant to be just enough to see anything but darkness in your nearest surroundings, but it should not be a match for a flashlight.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #265221

lntigracy wrote:
Gun Hog wrote:I believe that intensity "light_power" and range "light_range" can be changed separately. Perhaps we could increase the intensity of the lights while limiting the range.
My post explains how to fix things ffs
Sorry, I missed it. Things started melding together during my skim and I dropped off.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #265418

Iatots wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Iatots wrote:
You can just not die.
You could read the rest of that conversation instead of making low effort comments.

When did the normal response to "feature X rework screws its balance" become "powergame harder"?
Not an argument
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #265422

This lighting is eye strain bad, especially as it doesn't work properly to start with, barely being able to see is annoying, barely being able to see, and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.

Other than that really cool, pretty and atmospheric, I like how the consoles glow the different colours and think this an overall good change. Just needs some tweaking.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265438

Iatots wrote:
PKPenguin321 wrote:
Iatots wrote:
You can just not die.

We're reaching that stage where "pick up a flashlight to see in the dark" is "powergaming"
:whiskey:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #265439

Reece wrote:and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.
Not exclusive to the new system at all. This has been a combination of lag and whatever else for a while now.

Some of the colored lights could use some desaturation, and the wall buttons thing, but yeah this shit is 9/10 "it's okay" -IGN
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
cedarbridge

Post by cedarbridge » #265441

Saegrimr wrote:
Reece wrote:and then having to pause, turn off your light sources one at a time, and then back on because the next chunk of darkness just failed to register a flashlight as being on is fucking painful.
Not exclusive to the new system at all. This has been a combination of lag and whatever else for a while now.

Some of the colored lights could use some desaturation, and the wall buttons thing, but yeah this shit is 9/10 "it's okay" -IGN
There's a PR to tone down the BRIGHT GREEN BLOOM you get from massed glowshrooms so that's good at least. I almost mass deleted them they're so much brighter than wall lights.
A3STH3T1CS
Byond Username: Mack3r3l

Post by A3STH3T1CS » #265488

Told coderbus goonlighting is terrible and asked about the pros vs the cons and was told "because all the other servers have it"

Oranges also told me that he hopes my computer explodes and I die while some other shitposters ganged up on it.
I hope tgstation13 continues being successful
banned consecutively from multiple communities
professional space law botanist
<Pirou> Xhuis: You have 10 unread memos. You may read them by speaking in the channel. <Xhuis> ?!
<Chocobro> aesthetics is the best flower maker
Username change: Mackerel -> A3STH3T1CS