Craftable ash catchers for expanding in lavaland

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Craftable ash catchers for expanding in lavaland

Post by Xhuis » #257611

Pull request body:
Spoiler:

Pictured: Showing off the sprites of the catchers and the changing alphas for mobs.

Ash catchers function based on a system centered around a variable called `ash_caught` that increases every tick the catcher is in an ash storm. At certain thresholds, the catcher's name, description, and sprite will change; these thresholds are 150 ticks, 300 ticks, and 400 ticks. At 400 ticks, the catcher will collapse from the weight and be destroyed.

People can activate the ash catcher with an empty hand on help intent to clear out the ash over five seconds and restore it to full integrity. It can also be torn down over seven seconds to be relocated, and takes seven more to set up again.

Catchers are made with one goliath hide chunk and two rods, or one goliath hide chunk and one bone. Goliath hide chunks are broken down into from one goliath hide, at a rate of 3 chunks/hide.
In English, these are structures that you can build and move around lavaland to catch the ash from ash storms. You can stand under them and not take damage from the storms, meaning you can have a large area covered in them and be able to traverse the area freely without having to worry about dying from said storms.

They collect the ash over time, so you can't just put it down and forget about it forever. It takes several storms, but the ash catcher will eventually collapse from the weight. You can activate the catcher with an empty hand on help intent to clear out the ash and reset it to normal. You can also attack it on disarm intent to break it down and move it somewhere else.

Ash catchers are crafted from a goliath hide chunk (craftable in the menu from one goliath hide and vice-versa) and either two rods or one bone.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Last edited by Xhuis on Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Craftable ash catchers for expanding in lavaland

Post by D&B » #257660

Why make ash storms trivial?

Might as well remove them if you can just become immune after killing one goliath.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Kel
Byond Username: Jaraxxus

Post by Kel » #257664

this makes literally 1 tile immune and it decays over time

you basically become immune to ash storms anyway if you bother to use your basically infinite amounts of points to buy more bluespace capsules
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #257665

Or you can just make 4 sandstone doors and be immune to ash storms without having to worry about it decaying
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257676

What Kel said. This is mainly intended as a method of expansion, and serves to make ash storms less of a nuisance as many lavaland roles. For miners, the problem essentially doesn't exist, and for roles, it just serves as a way to limit how far they can go. If ash walkers spawn far from any ruins and the shelter, chances are that they'll never see another person because the ash storms would kill them before they could get that far. Not only are catchers a pain to lug around (huge-sized, meaning you have to either drop what you're holding or make yourself vulnerable to carry both it and a corpse for the nest), but they restrict you to one tile, so you're completely vulnerable if anyone wants to attack you.
Anonmare wrote:Or you can just make 4 sandstone doors and be immune to ash storms without having to worry about it decaying
That doesn't work. Please don't make assumptions based on false comments on GitHub without testing them yourself.
Spoiler:
Even if that did work, it's obviously cheese and I would probably patch it out.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #257687

No please continue this
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Xhuis
Github User

Re: Craftable ash catchers for expanding in lavaland (Closed

Post by Xhuis » #257688

Well, apparently, there's an exploit(?) where you can make an area through doors, but people didn't actually bother to tell me the correct way to do it. PR has been closed as it has no reason to exist.
Bombadil wrote:No please continue this
Why? It seems like there's an easier way to do the same thing already.
Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #257689

Xhuis wrote:Well, apparently, there's an exploit(?) where you can make an area through doors, but people didn't actually bother to tell me the correct way to do it. PR has been closed as it has no reason to exist.

I like the idea of makeshift shelters more than just slapping a few doors on the floor to make a safe zone

Bombadil

Post by Bombadil » #257690

Xhuis wrote:Well, apparently, there's an exploit(?) where you can make an area through doors, but people didn't actually bother to tell me the correct way to do it. PR has been closed as it has no reason to exist.

I like the idea of makeshift shelters more than just slapping a few doors on the floor to make a safe zone

Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257692

Bombadil wrote:

I do too, but there's mechanically no reason not to use those doors as removing the functionality to do so would make expansion essentially invalid.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #257695

PR is reopened because you and some others still want it, apparently.
Consider yourself on thin ice :^)
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #257721

Lavaland roles are considered learning roles so I don't see why they should expand. This is just making danger trivial for the sake of making it trivial.

Up the cost and make it better or make it worse and a little cheaper. Most roles that actively deal with Goliaths shouldn't be given free reign to run away from their intended purpose (learning.)
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #257987

There's hardly much to learn for ash walkers, which will be the primary users of these. Golems can either make ash-proof golems or build areas outright, miners have capsules, podpeople have issues outside even without a storm, and ops have lava to worry about if they feel like walking out.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #258034

Well, Kor closed the pull request instantly without alerting me. Oh well.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #266380

Shoddy, expensive & codersprite.

meeeh, not sad to see this go, a buildable tee-pee with some accessories like a spear rack & bonfire would have been much better, don't ruin the illusion by adding roofs.
D&B wrote:Lavaland roles are considered learning roles so I don't see why they should expand. This is just making danger trivial for the sake of making it trivial.

Up the cost and make it better or make it worse and a little cheaper. Most roles that actively deal with Goliaths shouldn't be given free reign to run away from their intended purpose (learning.)
Golems have the direct tools to expand, ashwalkers are based in the ash-hut because its the only real safe place to be beside sandstone communes (you outline the area with doors, pickaxe the doors down and its a ash free place)

I still support and stand by teepees.

Spoiler:
Xhuis
Github User

Post by Xhuis » #266401

This thread is a month old. What are you gaining by reviving it?