make shadowpeople good

For feedback on the game code and design. Feedback on server rules and playstyle belong in Policy Discussion.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

make shadowpeople good

Post by Armhulen » #262749

old conversation
Spoiler:
I've tried out the mutation toxins (specifically the more expensive ones) and let me tell you, they are extremely unbalanced in some cases.

Let me break it down for you:
Mutation toxin: turn into a slimepersob isn't terrible, but the hunger pains are and going to medical with toxin damage is garenteed death. I think I would actually like being able to switch to an alive body if my slimeperson dies, because what's the point of being a slimeperson anyways? For the most part I'm okay with these, just a suggestion

Stable mutation: human, not much to say here

Lizard:no complaints, considering you need radium to get mutation toxin anyways

Fly: kind of expensive considering all it does is remove your humanity.

Jelly toxin: expensive to get, you need to become a slimeperson/get someone to be a slimeperson just so you can be a more risk reward slimeperson. IMO just remove this race and give it's abilities to

Pod toxin: now we're getting to the meme tier stuff. Never hungry, regeneration... these are amazing so they must have a big price tag right? No, all you need is stuff in a vendor that anyone can use. In the PUBLIC GARDEN.

Golem toxin: you need mining just for a chance to get a good one? Boo. They're slow as shit, at least the wooden one has the op traits of the pod people

Abductor toxin: now, these seem fair a first until you realize they're one of the best traitor items of all time. Perms mute plus a stun plus they can't even use guns or ANYTHING RANGED. I'd make it more expensive for that alone, at least make it advanced mutation toxin

Android mutation toxin: Teslium isn't easy to get and androids are extremely good, no complaints.

Advanced mutation toxin: oh look another pretty good traitor poison. I'd use abductor instead, because of how long it takes to kick in, but it is pretty easy to escape an officer dragging you to the brig if they turn into a slime halfway through. Watch out, slimes will kick your ass if you're not prepared. All in all this is okay price for what it does

Skeleton toxin: Milk isn't that hard to get for a toxin that makes you immune to poisons, space worthy, no breath, and a cool rattle font. I'll mention why this should REALLY be upped in price later, but this is enough alone

Zombie mutation toxin: HAHAHAHAHA this, THIS is a meme. You need an emagged chem machine to get a shitty race. They're spaceworthy but who cares, be a skeleton instead you dolt. They might be slower, citation needed but they have no upsides after that. REMINDER: emagged chem console to get a race so shitty they're not a good traitor item or something you'd ever want to be
Edit: you can get toxin from the med vendor, making this actually a relatively easy to get race. That makes it semi-decent but skeleton is still easier to get and better in every way.

Ash mutation toxin: decent for a nobreath shoeless species I suppose but once again, it's easier to become a skeleton and the skeleton has more upsides

Plasma mutation toxin: And the best race toxin plus some mining (just grab it from rnd) and you have an instant unavoidable kill toxin! G-git gud faggets. Make THIS require emagged chem machines you jerks.
Shadow people suck, okay? I go into it a bit here but we should make them great again.
Shadow mutation toxin: lets see here, they take more damage in light then they heal in darkness, they're not that good for a traitor toxin, and the eyeball organ update broke their night vision. Yep, totally worth stable black matter plus holy water plus black slimes. Even POD PEOPLE heal faster than them, in the LIGHT. Dropped.

And, coming back to this:

They heal one per tick of every damage, which actually sucks. They take pressure damage, can't go into space because space is bright, and they can be pierced

lets compare that to the skeleton. They're immune to syringes. They don't take pressure damage. They can go into space naked and survive. They're easier to make (shadowperson is the hardest mutation in the game, requiring cooperation between three departments at once and the very end of the xenobio tech tree)

give them chitin, give them powers. I don't care what but come on guys, they're a joke
Last edited by Armhulen on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: Mutation toxin prices: out of wack, man.

Post by D&B » #262752

Giving xenobio the ability to control what was supposed to be random is oowercreep and a mistake.

All the prices should be upped tbh
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262763

Races in general need a change. There's three types of zombie.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Post by ShadowDimentio » #262764

If xenobio gets to the end of any slime tree shit goes to hell fast. Adamantine cores, gold cores, red cores, black cores, oil cores, light pink cores, sepia cores...

This isn't special at all, leave it alone tbh.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262770

I'm fine with them changing race, it's just that some toxins are cheaper and outclass other race toxins completely
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #262778

Armhulen wrote:Races in general need a change. There's three types of zombie.
that is because

1) zombie with benefits no slowdown
2) reskinned human [goofzombie]
3) romerol/infectious ones [memezombie or maybe it's infectious I forget]
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
darkpaladin109
Byond Username: Darkpaladin109

Post by darkpaladin109 » #262786

I think Skeletons being unable to be cloned in any way is a pretty big downside, to be honest.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262791

darkpaladin109 wrote:I think Skeletons being unable to be cloned in any way is a pretty big downside, to be honest.
>take brain
>put in humanize monkey
>clone
After he's done he can just get more skeleton toxin because it's easy to get
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #262808

Armhulen wrote:
darkpaladin109 wrote:I think Skeletons being unable to be cloned in any way is a pretty big downside, to be honest.
>take brain
>put in humanize monkey
>clone
After he's done he can just get more skeleton toxin because it's easy to get
You don't even need to clone them actually! Brain removal only deals oxygen damage, so you can just put in the new brain, defib them, then give them a shot from an epipen and they're good to go!
Reece
Byond Username: Reece1995

Post by Reece » #262811

Make anything but milk be unable to heal them, make slapping them knock out their eyes and tongue so you can blind/mute them easily, but let them jam in new eyes by targeting the eye area with eyes in hand.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #262812

Some notes about this.

- All the non-black-slime races were already available through the random toxin. All it takes is some time and tries, which you can get several of from a single green.
- You can get silver from any chem dispenser, golems aren't hard to get.
- I never actually thought of using abductor toxin as a mute chem. Then again you could just brew perfluorodecalin. Interestingly enough both give you oxygen at the cost of speech, with one being permanent-ish.

Black slime races:
- They require an end-tier slime.
- Skeletons are not immune to poisons, just pierce-immune. Like androids or golems.
- Zombies also used to have inverted toxin damage like slimepeople, after it got removed they kinda became a worse version of skeletons yeah.

In order to murder with plasma toxin, you need to:
* Be antag.
* Breed slimes until you get a black.
* Leave the xenobio fortress to get to the kitchen and hope the chef left you milk.
* Wait until/if mining comes back with minerals, take uranium without being noticed.
* Acquire method of distributing toxin (spray or syringe gun).
* Hope that in the 20-30 minutes you spent doing this nobody caused a shuttle call or caused a breach making everyone wear chemproof hardsuits.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262817

XDTM wrote:Some notes about this.

- All the non-black-slime races were already available through the random toxin. All it takes is some time and tries, which you can get several of from a single green.
It kinda does rule out using it as a traitor thing but what you have said is true. It's a good way to get android but other than that grabbing ez from the dispenser is probably the way to go to get a really good race for almost free.
- You can get silver from any chem dispenser, golems aren't hard to get.
In that case great, roll for wood golem and rule the world
- I never actually thought of using abductor toxin as a mute chem. Then again you could just brew perfluorodecalin. Interestingly enough both give you oxygen at the cost of speech, with one being permanent-ish.
plus the no guns rule plus the stun, it's not bad at all for a traitor chem. I'd even call it better than the plasma man toxin because of how much easier it is to make
Black slime races:
- They require an end-tier slime.
One tier higher, at most two extra breeding cycles because you're unlucky
- Skeletons are not immune to poisons, just pierce-immune. Like androids or golems.
Better, but they're still extremely good.
- Zombies also used to have inverted toxin damage like slimepeople, after it got removed they kinda became a worse version of skeletons yeah.
F
In order to murder with plasma toxin, you need to:
* Be antag.
* Breed slimes until you get a black.
* Leave the xenobio fortress to get to the kitchen and hope the chef left you milk.
Ask for it roundstart, it'll help
* Wait until/if mining comes back with minerals, take uranium without being noticed.
You don't HAVE to smuggle uranium, scientists won't care if another scientist takes some uranium
* Acquire method of distributing toxin (spray or syringe gun).
Just buy one, handheld syringe gun, unless you're a changeling
* Hope that in the 20-30 minutes you spent doing this nobody caused a shuttle call or caused a breach making everyone wear chemproof hardsuits.
Shuttle call genuinely does suck, but you can make piercing syringes by the time you get blacks.
Also, since nobody commented on shadow people yet: BUFF BUFF BUFF THEM
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #262820

It might not kill you outright but it pretty much takes you out of the round.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Bombadil
Byond Username: Kromgar

Post by Bombadil » #262907

>Be shadow person
>Hide in maint smashing lights or perish
Planet Station Best Station

Vote Planetstation and Kor Phaeron 2017
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #262950

>be shadowperson
>hide in maint in anguish while podpeople heal faster in light
>resort to eating rats because there's no food in maint while podpeople never get hungry in light
>kor broke your cool vision so you have to kill yourself slowly to see
>die in light while podpeople get slightly hungry and don't heal
>die to this (space)
>die to that (cold)
>die in general
>have one of the most expensive and time consuming recipes

almonds fully activated, lads.
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #263037

It's something you shoot into other people, not something you use yourself.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #263091

XDTM wrote:It's something you shoot into other people, not something you use yourself.
But the recipe requires three departments to all be competent at once, the recipe is extremely complicated while the plasmaman (almost instant death) just requires the chef and a decent mining, and even the abductor one mutes too.
Instead of shadow people being shit let's make them really good, currently we only have two races you'd ever want to be, the pierce proof nobreath pressure immune skeletons, or the regen neverhungry easy to make pod people
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #263103

Give Shadowpeople thermal vision, toggleable night vision, immunity to cold and pressure, no need to eat, NO_BREATH, NO_BLOOD and quicker regen in darkness.

Makes them pretty decent but you'll still find a lit lightbulb dangerous
XDTM
Github User

Post by XDTM » #263120

to be fair, liquid dark matter can be made at any chem dispenser, which rnd usually builds, and strange reagent's only real bottleneck is holy water since you can usually get omnizine from donk pockets anyway.
But sure, i'd like shadowpeople to be somewhat better.
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #263234

Anonmare wrote:Give Shadowpeople thermal vision, toggleable night vision, immunity to cold and pressure, no need to eat, NO_BREATH, NO_BLOOD and quicker regen in darkness.

Makes them pretty decent but you'll still find a lit lightbulb dangerous
make them burn even faster in light and have the shadowling turn off lights ability

i want them to be a late game viable choice that is sooper cool
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Re: make shadowpeople good

Post by Armhulen » #275160

this is important for the good of all things xhius
see op