Hey I made a map like 7 years ago. What's changed?

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Hey I made a map like 7 years ago. What's changed?

Post by JackHunt » #664031

Let's say I fell deep into a coma in 2015 and woke up in the year of our lord 2023 with zero recollection of the intervening years on tg. What are the big changes to the maps played and how they're made? What's the new hotness? What cursed awful things do we need to contend with now?

Let me know. My head hurts.
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Re: Hey I made a map like 7 years ago. What's changed?

Post by Capsandi » #664032

The tiles look different. Not sure if much else has changed. Will update if I remember anything.
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #664048

Cytology exists and the singulo tesla engines are removed
Probably a lot more
► Show Spoiler
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #664050

• Pipes and cables are placed 'smartly' now instead of requiring 8+ directions to be mapped out manually, as they'll auto-connect at map load.
  • Multi-z exists now, that seems pretty big for /tg/ standards.
  • A lot of the tedium when it came to stuff like access on doors/roundstart bolting is done by mapping helpers now placed ontop of the thing you want to change.
  • Xenobiology got an expansion with Cytology if you like swabbing things to make other things.
  • Genetics live in Science now (im pretty sure that change wasn't done in 2015).
  • Tesla/Singularity is sidelined in exchange for the Supermatter Crystal.
  • We now have movable platforms and elevators that actually move instead of just teleporting between locations (load up Tramstation if you want an example)
  • Chemistry has a dedicated section of the station for creating machines that automate production of various reagents. Its a pain in the ass to model around without it looking like a tumor.
  • Cargo has a drone bay now to do little external adventures now, not really map-centric past the fact Cargo needs a new room.
  • StrongDMM exists now and alongside visual studio you pretty much never have to load up Dreammaker ever again.
  • Lots of prep work towards shifting to 3/4th wall perspective, The Wallening. It's gonna happen I swear.
  • Mining/Cargo has a dedicated spot to build an aux base they can drop into lavaland now (im like 90% sure this wasn't a thing till late 2015/2016?).
  • Oh yeah also Lavaland exists, rip mining asteroid.
a few things i guess idk
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #664061

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/ ... 2?closed=1 this contains a few of the more recent changes. updatepaths is swag

Also wait, you made Disc? Someone (SpaceSmithers) remade your map for the modern day, link is here: https://github.com/tgstation/map_depot/ ... iscStation

It's four months out of date with the current code, so things probably are broken. Kinda cool though, right?
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Vire
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Maurukas

Post by Vire » #664062

The repo also now includes an enormous amount of automated testing that runs on maps each time you open a PR. It catches a huge number of common mistakes and issues before they make it out. But not everything. Not even close to everything.

I'm pretty sure Icebox wasn't around in 2015, so we've also got planetary stations + atmospherics to go with Multi-z. In addition to the access, many of the things that used to require manual varedits have been made into paintable helpers you can just drop on the map, or even into mapping specific-subtype items.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #664156

san7890 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:03 am Also wait, you made Disc? Someone (SpaceSmithers) remade your map for the modern day, link is here: https://github.com/tgstation/map_depot/ ... iscStation

It's four months out of date with the current code, so things probably are broken. Kinda cool though, right?
Yeah, I had a lot more free time back then. It's really cool to see it still here in some way. I've been debating making a sequel-ish map as I get back into playing more frequently. Trying to figure out what would be interesting/wanted. Disc was always a buggy mess but it sounds like mapping has gotten a whole lot easier since when I made it (it was made entirely in BYOND).

Is Multi-Z going to be more or less the standard going forward? I've been really digging Tram.

I'd also be down to give it a coat of polish to bring it back up to standard with the current rotation.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #664164

JackHunt wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:19 pm -snip-

I'd also be down to give it a coat of polish to bring it back up to standard with the current rotation.
I think its just too fuckin big to be used as an “event” map thatbyou throw on for a shift and let the players go hog wild (which I’ve done)
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Zytolg
Byond Username: Zytolg

Post by Zytolg » #664313

Welcome back! As others have described, there's been massive strides in terms of mechanic overhauls/exits/redos/introductions over the years. 8 Years is a long time to be gone, but I wouldn't say that what you've missed is too difficult to catch up on; especially if you intend to map again. One thing that has changed and is honestly incredible is the quality of mapping these days. We're fortunate to have all manners of talented contributors who have made this increase in quality possible. I'd say the 2 biggest things in the codebase right now are Trams and The Wallening. Of course things can always change at a moments notice but I say it keeps things exciting. I recommend you join the official discord as activity these days is much higher there than there than the forums (though I still lurk here). Again welcome back, and I look forwards to seeing you around!
I've resurrected Boxstation for the 5th time - what have I done?!
Actual Map Necromancer ---> Birdshots Creator
Clones-The-Corpse MD - The doctor with a bedside manner that the station can trust.