Total votes: 41

bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

INDUSTRISTATION [pick a name pls]

Post by bman » #302794

update: this needs a proper name chip in this thread please

industristation (name not chosen yet calm the tits) is a station (or station design vision/style) that is supposed to make the station dark and atmospheric, as it stands right now it is defined by being cramped and claustrophobic, sort of like a gothic space horror set, machinery, buttons, wires, levers and the such would be in abundance, making the station VERY complex and autistic (in fact, I plan to scrap air alarms and introduce actual real plumbing, wall pipes and stuff like that). of course not ALL of the station will be like this, some rooms will for contrast be clean and lo-fi retro looking.

Oh yeah, lighting will play a HUGE part into the atmosphere of the station, rather than something to enable you to valid better.

the levers and buttons wont be just niknaks, they'll serve functions such as "undocking" separate air bridges, manual bolts and bolt override, plumbing pressure control (valves) and other stuff.

I dont have much sprites for this right now (i got various floor tiles and some code behind them so far), but I'm working on it and hopefully I can finish this project if it doesnt crash and burn in time.

Some might say this is far too different from other maps to work on its own and not as part of a gamemode or even on a separate server. If this comes to fruition i'll probably host it as its own server or something.

The Plan:

Lowpop oriented. Tight-knit crew. Only relevant and essential jobs (2/3 doctors, technicians, pilots(?), a janitor, researchers, and finally coordinators/senior officers. No concept of "departments" but rather the crew works as one large department. No security, the crew works together to ensure their own safety. No headsets! Maybe the senior officer can have a headset but other than that the crew has to use radios to communicate, this gauges paranoia up to 200% since telecommunication isnt easy, and the crew isn't abundant. Gloomy atmospheric visuals, with capitalization on sound design for immersion.

"But this makes antagonists too strong!", you might ask, however, traitors will naturally be re-balanced; They will be forced to:
  • Take out people one by one.
    Avoid rousing suspicion.
    Blend in with the crew.
    Hide evidence.
Rather than being unstoppable tanks.
Last edited by bman on Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Re: New design style/map [Industristation (name pending)]

Post by TrustyGun » #302796

Sprites look good.

Can't really say much for the concept behind those sprites as there is no gameplay shown as of yet, but if you are planning to have a shittload of button, levers and assorted interactables in every room they better be labeled
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #302798

TrustyGun wrote:Sprites look good.

Can't really say much for the concept behind those sprites as there is no gameplay shown as of yet, but if you are planning to have a shittload of button, levers and assorted interactables in every room they better be labeled
it would be devilish if they were not
and very hilarious
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #302805

Just make sure to add crushers everywhere
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #302816

if it's that level of detail in 32x then yes fucking please
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #302820

420weedscopes wrote:if it's that level of detail in 32x then yes fucking please
fuck man dont tempt me to make it 64x64

i dont want to be a madman
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #302821

lol do it pussy
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #302824

danno wrote:lol do it pussy
i actually would do it but im scared because last time we tried 64x64 there were bugs and memory cloaca leaks and shit
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: INDUSTRISTATION [name "poll"]

Post by ShadowDimentio » #303221

I hate the way it looks, and the station getting texturally darker would make it hard as shit for to see.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #303282

ShadowDimentio wrote:I hate the way it looks, and the station getting texturally darker would make it hard as shit for to see.
not all of it will be steel corridors, some parts will look clean smooth retro-ish lo-fi

however, in maint....
would make it hard as shit for to see.
that's the point
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #303578

I'm trying a new wall design.

3/4th.

I know of a method to fix the "Can't see north facing gadgets!" dilemma, I'll make the gadgets a layer ABOVE the wall, have them a bit transparent and set their mouse opacity higher than a wall.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #305703

dictating whether side sprites' walls should be lit (white) when power is on or not
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Re: INDUSTRISTATION [pick a name pls]

Post by Gun Hog » #305775

HOLY MOLY, that wall looks niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #305840

I hate the way it looks, and why is it brown the station isn't made out of wood or brass or rusted to shit.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #305845

ShadowDimentio wrote:I hate the way it looks, and why is it brown the station isn't made out of wood or brass or rusted to shit.
the maintenance tunnels are naturally full of pipes, wires, plumbing equipment, welding tanks, and other utility items.
the smooth copper gives it a distinct background that will not pop out under a mess of pipes but also, it wont blend in to the point of being indistinguishable
Gun Hog wrote:HOLY MOLY, that wall looks niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
thx bby
danno

Post by danno » #305862

Honestly, I don't like how it looks because I don't really get what you're going for
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #305863

danno wrote:Honestly, I don't like how it looks because I don't really get what you're going for
ok
Spoiler:
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #305884

bman wrote:the maintenance tunnels are naturally full of pipes, wires, plumbing equipment, welding tanks, and other utility items.
the smooth copper gives it a distinct background that will not pop out under a mess of pipes but also, it wont blend in to the point of being indistinguishable
What? The station isn't made out of copper, and the pipes don't go along the walls or whatever, they go along the floors. Also there's literally no issue in seeing where the walls are currently, they're impossible to miss. You don't need to paint them in a garish color so they "pop" more.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #305885

ShadowDimentio wrote:
bman wrote:the maintenance tunnels are naturally full of pipes, wires, plumbing equipment, welding tanks, and other utility items.
What? The station isn't made out of copper, and the pipes don't go along the walls or whatever, they go along the floors. Also there's literally no issue in seeing where the walls are currently, they're impossible to miss. You don't need to paint them in a garish color so they "pop" more.
What? The station isn't made out of copper,
This one is, at least some parts of it.
and the pipes don't go along the walls or whatever, they go along the floors.
This one does, and also, it will have real ventilation shafts rather than meme tubes under floor tiles.
Also there's literally no issue in seeing where the walls are currently, they're impossible to miss. You don't need to paint them in a garish color so they "pop" more.
>metal wall with grey palette
>metal pipes also with a grey palette

You don't need to paint them in a garish color so they "pop" more.
that will not pop out
shadow pls
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #305886

You should really try building an example scene that'd be a good visual of what you're trying to go for when it comes to an entire station, because while some of these assets may look nice in rarer places like ruins, I can't see them fitting in well on a station design.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
danno

Post by danno » #305903

I don't get the same feeling from your ref image that I do from your sprite but if you like it then you do you
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #305913

danno wrote:I don't get the same feeling from your ref image that I do from your sprite but if you like it then you do you
maybe because it's a singular sprite missing atmospheric lighting, a neighboring environment, animations and the 100 types of details on that image (pipes and machinery)

if you're wondering why i didnt sprite the pipes on the wall itself then that's because everything will be fully functional and not just fluff

you guys dont believe me, this will work out, ill make a "set piece" and show you.
Professor Hangar
Byond Username: Professor Hangar

Post by Professor Hangar » #306089

This kinda thing is why concept art exists, it's best to test out an aesthetic before committing absolutely to it.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #307721

comfy walls for civilian areas rather than cold rigid steel corridors

not a finished product but let's go overdrive.

edit: yes i know the panel things are too big in the side sprites i fixed that
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #307762

Recreate the dining room from the set of "Alien" would be the ultimate scene test.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #310585

wall n floor preview for public halls

yes yes the lights and maint floors arent right calm your tits it's early preview

also updated op with very very early bikesheddy scrawny thicc-quicc "design document" (lol) sort of deal
TheSharmat
Byond Username: Sharmat

Post by TheSharmat » #310601

Looks really good, I like it.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #310712

The wells themselves look fantastic, along with that flooring! APC looks out of place on it, though.
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #310735

The way the light connects to the walls isn't too ugly, id like to see a camera, button & a firelock though in your next picture example.

I personally think the non bordered reinforced wall looks better, unless you want to add a smoothing effect of border pipes or something.

Spoiler:
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #310854

gives me a sort of starbound/terraria vibe for some reason
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #310858

FantasticFwoosh wrote: I personally think the non bordered reinforced wall looks better, unless you want to add a smoothing effect of border pipes or something.
Fwoosh is right, the connections between the walls would look better without smoothing.

It looks amazing, imagine box/meta with these walls
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #310864

TrustyGun wrote:
FantasticFwoosh wrote: I personally think the non bordered reinforced wall looks better, unless you want to add a smoothing effect of border pipes or something.
Fwoosh is right, the connections between the walls would look better without smoothing.

It looks amazing, imagine box/meta with these walls
you mean the lines separating the walls???
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #310881

This might sound like a dumb question, but, are the public walls and maintenance walls made from the same material? If so, how does the game differentiate and if I was a crewmember designing a room, could I define if it was a public or maintenance one to get the different visuals?
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #310888

No the lines seperating the walls from the floor.

Spoiler:
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #310896

Anonmare wrote:This might sound like a dumb question, but, are the public walls and maintenance walls made from the same material? If so, how does the game differentiate and if I was a crewmember designing a room, could I define if it was a public or maintenance one to get the different visuals?
all wall girders are made out of aluminum

different materials is what dictates different visuals, normal hall walls are covered in MLI for that smooth white cover.

for outer walls: theorycrafting ahoy:
in this, space dust is much more common and far more dangerous, this makes space even more hazardous, dont worry though, the station will start with material autism but as the engineers try to expand or repair broken rooms they will have to add new layers of kevlar to protect the main hull.
this is just an idea though.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #310897

how would you go about making objects in 3/4ths that go on walls?

since players aren't in 3/4th's it'd look weird
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

bman
Github User

Post by bman » #310898

John_Oxford wrote:how would you go about making objects in 3/4ths that go on walls?

since players aren't in 3/4th's it'd look weird
i dont understand your question, i'd just put 3/4th objects on the face of the wall?
tacolizard
Byond Username: Tacolizard
Github Username: Tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #311077

did someone say atmosphere?!! well mah boy you'll be in luck if my reverb PR is merged
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #311079

also this looks awesome I could help with coding if you need any.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #311099

tacolizard wrote:also this looks awesome I could help with coding if you need any.
i mean if u wanna you can just give me anything semi-interesting and ill slap it in
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #311576

new wall design Image

also VOTE between that design, this design, or both.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #311590

THE FOLLOWING IS POSTED ON BMAN'S BEHALF:
bman wrote:Image
1, 2, or 3?
you can pick more than one (or all 3) and ill use both of them, vote pls causse im seriously contemplating dropping type 2
DireVictory
Byond Username: DireVictory

Post by DireVictory » #311608

All look good, 1 and 3 better though.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #311616

thanks gunhog, i couldnt post because for some reason my ip got blacklisted when i switched to phone
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #311639

I like 1 and 3 better than 2. 1 and 3 look equally as good though. Maybe if you could show us some of its corner sprites, like number 1 does, might help decide.
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #312607

here's an autistic, prototype, unfinished station layout map

edit: cooling pipe loops and routes not shown for obvious reasons
edit: Ye i have diagonal movement
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #312610

>Diagonal movement
What is this sorcery?
bman
Github User

Post by bman » #312612

Anonmare wrote:>Diagonal movement
What is this sorcery?
we actually already have it, it just has some issues.
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #312616

Also are the radiators for the engine?
tacolizard

Post by tacolizard » #312626

are you gonna put in maint shafts on top of what you have laid out?