Donut Station

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Donut Station

Post by Nabski » #328201

With Cere likely soon leaving us, I figured I would try my hand at a station.

I've made the station a circle, put the shuttles in the middle making them empty space, then copy pasted my favorite departments from all the different maps until stuff fit. BUT this could be done so much more interesting than that. I figure that makes it harder for the station to be attacked by syndicate, but it looks like I can fill their shuttle with goodies to compensate for the decreased entry points.

I'm looking for other ways to mix up the meta through positioning. Things like
-Giving the captain/security weak mechs, but reducing the armory equipment to compensate.
-Having atmos stored IN atmos, so it can't be modified without a suit or by the AI.
-Removing a bunch of the double door style security locations that so many stations have and R-Walls.
-"Quality of life" item placement.
-Seeding small amounts of contraband around the station for more metabreaking. (The think the flash outside science on delta).

Basically call out ways to nerf or buff different departments in ways that wouldn't work on the "standard" maps. This thing is intended as a joke that MIGHT get refined to something real.

If you've played with mapping you can likely tell what's taking shape. I'm wanting to try curved hallways (yellow). Starting North clockwise. Bridge, Theatre, Medbay, Cargo, Bar, Security, Engineering, Hydroponics and Kitchen, Science.

Unplaced is the AI, Telecomms, Vault. I figure those are important enough to look for some feedback on where I want to put them. Spreadout? Concentrated? Near or far from security?
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Re: Donut Station

Post by BeeSting12 » #328217

tbh mechs are shitty enough that i dont think a weak mech would be a very good replacement for part of the armory
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #328241

There already used to be a map called donutstation. Not sure where to find pictures or layouts of it these days, but maybe take a look at it too for inspiration as it had a very similar shape and concept.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #328293

I had heard that was a thing, but there's nothing on the forums, wiki, or game files about it.

Beesting, That's slightly the point.
leibniz
Byond Username: Leibniz

Post by leibniz » #328294

Nabski wrote:I had heard that was a thing, but there's nothing on the forums, wiki, or game files about it.
Donut Station

it is ancient
Founder and only member of the "Whitelist Nukeops" movement
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #328297

original map donut station
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #328300

I see Donut1, which is garbage.
and
DONUTMUTHAFUCCKARS.

The right angled hallways on the second one, is that the way to go for rounded hallways? I was doing something that was almost 6 wide for angles.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #328302

Why not surround the outer ring with a garden or biome things if it's empty space? A pop culture reference.

Spoiler:
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #332832

FantasticFwoosh wrote:Why not surround the outer ring with a garden or biome things if it's empty space? A pop culture reference.
I remember messing around one time and combined a public garden with the solar arrays. Had grass floor covering the wiring, little wooden benches and everything, glassed in with grilles for meteor shielding. Nothing in the entire area that blocked LoS so the solars weren't impreded. Was comfy.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #332916

Fuck. I didn't want to do it because I didn't get the reference and it's fwoosh but this is a really good way to keep it still round.

How far out do solars check for LOS?
Screemonster
Byond Username: Scree

Post by Screemonster » #333037

20 tiles iirc
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #333456

Don't make spherical shapes without ATLEAST having proper goddamn diagonals for your walls
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Doctor Pork
Byond Username: Doctor_Pork

Post by Doctor Pork » #333504

Solar arrays inside of garden pods? WE DRUIDSTATION NOW.
oranges wrote:pork, the nondescript, commoner king, literally so stealth you could just your normal name in OOC and nobody would know, long may he reign as the secret commander
Deitus wrote:If your signature is scrollable it's too long and fucking obnoxious and you should feel bad
Link to my feedback thread. Go there.
PKPenguin321 wrote:I've been had by yet another tg boondoggle
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #333870

Bawhoppennn wrote:Don't make spherical shapes without ATLEAST having proper goddamn diagonals for your walls
I looked up one of those "convert a circle into pixels" thing then placed it that way. The middle is a land of fuck because it was just all about shuttle placements. In other news the white ship is XBOX huge.
OhChildflayer
Byond Username: OhChildflayer

Post by OhChildflayer » #333923

leibniz wrote:
Nabski wrote:I had heard that was a thing, but there's nothing on the forums, wiki, or game files about it.
Donut Station

it is ancient
Now that's some serious nostalgia. I remember when the center was where they kept the singularity, back when you just had to push two buttons to start it up. The days of infinifoam, and Virology being moved to a different z-level because *someone* kept making airborne diarrhea cluwne viruses and coating the hallways with literally shitty cluwnes.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #334007

OhChildflayer wrote:
leibniz wrote:
Donut Station

it is ancient
Now that's some serious nostalgia. I remember when the center was where they kept the singularity, back when you just had to push two buttons to start it up. The days of infinifoam, and Virology being moved to a different z-level because *someone* kept making airborne diarrhea cluwne viruses and coating the hallways with literally shitty cluwnes.
I think there was also a donut station V2 that was a lot bigger and had the sing in the middle.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #334041

Nabski wrote:
Bawhoppennn wrote:Don't make spherical shapes without ATLEAST having proper goddamn diagonals for your walls
I looked up one of those "convert a circle into pixels" thing then placed it that way. The middle is a land of fuck because it was just all about shuttle placements. In other news the white ship is XBOX huge.
I know exactly what you did but it still makes it terrible and grotesque.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Nabski

Post by Nabski » #334063

Bawhoppennn wrote:
Nabski wrote:
I know exactly what you did but it still makes it terrible and grotesque.
What are you recommending as a better method other than don't try to make things round?

Or is there some secret diagonal wall that exists.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #334283

Well I'd just avoud making things round, but if you are fixated on it being round, add a new diagonal wall for it.
That leads into the other problem of nobody ever adding any new features or sprites to any new map, and just reusing the same stuff from other maps over and over, but I digress.

FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334299

Or make it mostly titanium exterior with a metal interior, shiny and white.

Spoiler:
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #334316

Make it a light brown exterior with a white interior and sprinkles on a separate z-level.

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #334356

is it made out of donut steel?
DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #334493

bman wrote:is it made out of donut steel?
we refer to that substance as plasteel

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #334506

Titanium already has vertical walls and literally fucks up nothing.

Spoiler: