Delta Station White Ship

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Mark9013100
Byond Username: Mark9013100

Delta Station White Ship

Post by Mark9013100 » #339282

As of now, Delta Station is one of two maps without a White Ship, so I decided to try and make one for it. After a few weeks worth of mapping, I've come up with the BYO whiteship, complete with snazzy star-trek next jumpsuits.
I want to get feedback on this before I try PR'ring it.
Spoiler:
To do:
Add docking ports. - DONE
Testing - check derelict/lavaland ports. - DONE
Hell test fucking everything
Last edited by Mark9013100 on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Re: [WIP] Delta Station White Ship

Post by Deitus » #339283

looks pretty neat, but add some phat loot to reward the good goys that claimed it first
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #339401

Retro laser is a required spawn. Highpop means it could do with an extra SSU.
Could use a boozeomat and maybe a few botany seeds
The science room kind of lacks and could probably benefit from one of the science machines, maybe a chemmaster and a exofab to encourage fleshing it out

Honestly I don't really like the design though, it doesn't have much that sets it apart from meta and I don't know what you could add that could stand out.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #339459

Here is the Metastation White Ship by comparison. It is not very different...
Spoiler:
You could perhaps take this chance to make a portable mini-station! Plop down an autolathe in the Engi section for facilitating Engineering and Atmos autism! Hide boards in the Science section (R&D console, chem dispenser, circuit printer)!

Basically, leave the bare minimum of things around so people who find it can turn it into a second station given enough time and effort. Heck, you could base a super low-pop map on this concept.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #339493

Deitus wrote:looks pretty neat, but add some phat loot to reward the good goys that claimed it first
Will do.
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Retro laser is a required spawn. Highpop means it could do with an extra SSU.
The science room kind of lacks and could probably benefit from one of the science machines, maybe a chemmaster and a exofab to encourage fleshing it out

Honestly I don't really like the design though, it doesn't have much that sets it apart from meta and I don't know what you could add that could stand out.
Thought I mapped in the boozeomat, I'll add that and the other suggestions, though I'll definitely be trying Gun Hog's suggesstion.
Gun Hog wrote:Here is the Metastation White Ship by comparison. It is not very different...
Spoiler:
Had the idea of making it a barebones ship before I started mapping it, so I'll give that a go.
You could perhaps take this chance to make a portable mini-station! Plop down an autolathe in the Engi section for facilitating Engineering and Atmos autism! Hide boards in the Science section (R&D console, chem dispenser, circuit printer)!

Basically, leave the bare minimum of things around so people who find it can turn it into a second station given enough time and effort. Heck, you could base a super low-pop map on this concept.
Barebones ship was an idea I tossed around, I'll give that a try in a few days.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #339533

Mark9013100 wrote:
Yakumo_Chen wrote:Retro laser is a required spawn. Highpop means it could do with an extra SSU.

Thought I mapped in the boozeomat, I'll add that and the other suggestions, though I'll definitely be trying Gun Hog's suggesstion.
Don't add stuff just because something else has something. Not everything should be identical and draining away anything unique from other stuff.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #339563

Good point, definitely going with the BYOS route.
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Post by D&B » #339572

Yeah don't add machines aside from what you have for medbay.

The point of the ships is fleshing them out yourself, not having them come prebuilt at some degree.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #340014

D&B wrote:Yeah don't add machines aside from what you have for medbay.

The point of the ships is fleshing them out yourself, not having them come prebuilt at some degree.
If only the actual maps were built like this.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #340216

Here's what I have as of now:
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #340221

That is great! All you need now is to put all the dirt and grime back down, and you have yourself a BYOS White Ship!
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #340230

All that's left now is to test it ingame then make the PR, though Dream Daemon is being difficult to work with right now.
D&B

Post by D&B » #340902

Honestly speaking adding science boards to it takes away the fun of building your own RnD lab.

If someone wants to claim it they can very easily ask for extra boards from RnD or loot them from maint. Putting them in like that feels like hand feeding.
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #341018

This is on hold until I can get local server to boot up.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #341021

Would it be possible to get those fan thingies down at the shuttle's exterior doors or is that too hugboxy? It was always mildly irritating that the ship so quickly depressurizes if you disembark in a space area
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
D&B

Post by D&B » #341037

I've read somewhere those are a huge no-no for mapping. Which is why they often get removed from maps.
Spoiler:
fuck you
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #341038

There's a way to link airlocks so when one opens the other closes, they're on the bridge doors on most maps. Those could be added to help with the depressurizing thing.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #341039

Unless you have a way to pump air back in to the airlock after it is depressurised it will still just leech air from the adjacent room every time the airlock cycles to interior
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TribeOfBeavers
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: TribeOfBeavers

Post by TribeOfBeavers » #341041

You'll always lose a bit of air unless you make an actual airlock (which could be a project for whoever found the ship) or cheat and use the little fans.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #341133

TribeOfBeavers wrote:There's a way to link airlocks so when one opens the other closes, they're on the bridge doors on most maps. Those could be added to help with the depressurizing thing.
Didn't know those existed, I'll edit the airlocks when I get the chance tomorrow, still need to get a local server up though.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #342267

make a room thats got a breach idk repairing shit can be fun just dont make it a requirement
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #344325

Gotten extremely busy with things recently, plus haven't been able to get a local server up, so this might take a while.
Cobby
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobby
Github Username: ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone

Post by Cobby » #345079

D&B wrote:I've read somewhere those are a huge no-no for mapping. Which is why they often get removed from maps.
For the station.
Voted best trap in /tg/ 2014-current
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #345143

ExcessiveJMadison wrote:
D&B wrote:I've read somewhere those are a huge no-no for mapping. Which is why they often get removed from maps.
For the station.
The station doesn't need them because it has atmos to replace the lost air, they're for when something that doesn't have room for atmos needs to keep the air in.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #345251

I'm going to need some help with this, dreamdaemon has a stroke every time I boot up a server with deltastation.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #347805

Looks pretty neat! Might I suggest trying to follow the theme of deltastation's shuttles in terms of floor patterns to help keep the look going? If you need any help, let me know!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #347837

Mark9013100 wrote:I'm going to need some help with this, dreamdaemon has a stroke every time I boot up a server with deltastation.
Describe your problem in more detail, please.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #347873

Mark9013100 wrote:I'm going to need some help with this, dreamdaemon has a stroke every time I boot up a server with deltastation.
You need to have deltastation and basemap checked. That's probably your problem.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348056

BeeSting12 wrote:
You need to have deltastation and basemap checked. That's probably your problem.
Thanks, I'll tick those both then test.
Okand37 wrote:Looks pretty neat! Might I suggest trying to follow the theme of deltastation's shuttles in terms of floor patterns to help keep the look going? If you need any help, let me know!
Will do, and thanks!
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348064

Well, I managed to get the local server up, but dreamdaemon just keeps giving me this after it starts:
runtime error: bad list
proc name: Error (/world/Error)
source file: error_handler.dm,20
runtime error: bad list
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348115

Also, replaced all the flooring, here's what I got now:
Spoiler:
Feedback?
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #348118

Looks interesting! For the rooms, instead of leaving them *completely* blank, I'd suggest having them filled with half-built machine frames, computers, tables, and the supplies to build stuff in that room spread around in it instead of a convenient single crate. It leaves the ability to highly customize and change while keeping it aesthetically pleasing.

You're also using the science door when you might want to use the research one (the purple is more of a mild colour as opposed to that deep royal purple.)

I'd suggest looking at MetaStation's white shuttle to see the kind of loot you should have (black gloves, armor vests, swat helmets and a retro pistol, specifically) and try to follow the Delta theme of having it somewhat luxurious and extravagant. With Delta, you'll notice all over the place, from maintenance to other, are a lot of fun and cosmetic items that can be used to help fuel gimmicks, which is what I'd suggest aiming for when you consider the loot table.

EDIT: Another thing is I'd suggest trying to add warning lines around some of the equipment stuff like you'll notice around Delta. It's good to keep the theme of a place consistent with its artistic style.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348121

Do you any recommendations for the flooring in the upper part of the ship? Feels like I could put more colored tiles instead of the neutral ones.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #348125

I'd suggest taking a look at rooms like hydroponics for an example of how you might be able to the hydroponics/kitchen area (and maybe take some influence from the service department as a whole, really.)
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348130

Alright, I'll work on it more tomorrow, I'll still need to figure out what's with the runtimes though.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #348131

I suggest asking Jordie, he's got a good head when it comes to computer stuff (I also suck at computer stuff.)
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348156

Runtime was dealt with by updating to latest branch of the code, now I just have to figure out how docking ports work
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #348262

Do note, I haven't actually mapped anything proper in over a year, so my memory is dodgy/foggy at best, but if it serves correctly here's this, hope it helps.

Let's see if I can remember... you'll need both a obj/docking_port/mobile and a obj/docking_port/stationary within the same location with a shared ID. If you want the shuttle to be downward facing with the cockpit at the bottom, just set: dir = 2, port Angle = 90, preferred_direction = 2(?) Setting the shuttle boundaries, however, is a bit more tedious. When you go through the properties, you'll see four distinct values you want to pay attention to:
dheight, dwidth, height, and width. dheight and dwidth are used to determine where on the shuttle co-ordinates the actual docking port is. As an example, here's deltastation's shuttle:

On deltastation's shuttle, the values in order are: dheight = 0, dwidth = 11, height 18, width 30. If you keep the same direction values, you can work off of what you know rather easily.
dheight = 0, if we considered this an x,y graph dheight would be negative x and dwith would be positive y. There are 0 spaces to the left, or "negative" of the pinpointer, so we input 0 for dheight. For dwidth, we look at the spaces above the pinpointer, and we can count that there are a total of 11 spaces above the pinpointer, so we input 11 for dwidth. Height and width, on the other hand, are the total dimensions of the shuttle. If we count starting from the pinpointer's position as 1, we can see its a total of 18 across. Due to the dir we have inputted, this will be the height, so height = 18. Lastly, we start from the top of the shuttle and count in a similar fashion til we reach the bottom. We can count 29 squares in total (which probably means I goofed and put 1 over) so width = 29 (or in this case, 30 as its 1 over.) Now we can see how we got all of our dimensions, and hopefully this helps.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #348268

Shuttles have been changed and those rules don't necessarily apply. You can even have multiple areas in them now.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #348273

oh neat
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348413

Thanks for the docking port info, a bit confusing but hopefully I'll have this PR'd within a few days, also, screenshots:
Spoiler:
However, the ship can't dock at the Soviet station, too big.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348449

ADMIN LOG: Shuttle White-Ship cannot dock at Deep Space, error: height_too_large

Getting this now, not exactly sure what I missed, unless the height and weight vars are inverted as well.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348469

Okay time to get some final questions out of the way, in the map editor each whiteship has it's own file, while also having an exact copy on the station map as well. How exactly does the ship's placement work?

Also I keep getting errors about the docking weight/height being too large. The currents vars I have for the ship's docking port are: dheight 14, dir 2, dwidth 20, height 15, and width 28.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #348607

Mark9013100 wrote:Okay time to get some final questions out of the way, in the map editor each whiteship has it's own file, while also having an exact copy on the station map as well. How exactly does the ship's placement work?

Also I keep getting errors about the docking weight/height being too large. The currents vars I have for the ship's docking port are: dheight 14, dir 2, dwidth 20, height 15, and width 28.
Call WJohnston down to give you tips. My solution to this would be to try to var-edit the docking port during runtime until it works.

I wish we had rusted/damaged shuttle walls. They look too clean. Consider removing a few floortiles, and maybe give it a compelling backstory told through the debris and damage. Why is this ship abandoned in space? What happened to the crew?
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #348621

I'll try and flag him down today or tomorrow, but is there a page on docking ports anywhere?
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #349372

Having too much trouble from the vertical design, going to remap the ship horizontally.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #351370

Going to wait on this https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/31942 to be merged before I continue working on the ship.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Post by Shezza » #351665

Had a go at the white ship a while ago too

Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #351693

Shezza wrote:Had a go at the white ship a while ago too

Unique layout, looks nice. Pipes under the walls might be problematic for engineers though.
Mark9013100

Post by Mark9013100 » #353743

Just need to do a little more testing and it should be ready.

Edit: PR is finally up, https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/32414, many thanks to Wjohn and Okand for helping with the technical side of things. Ships decals had to be cut though.