KuiperStation (it's dead jim)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Gobblesmack
Byond Username: Gobblesmack

KuiperStation (it's dead jim)

Post by Gobblesmack » #345353

KuiperStation is a new map i'm making which is to be a station built into an asteroid, in the likes of AsteroidStation or CereStation, named after the Kuiper belt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuiper_belt), because that's always cool ;) .
the layout will most likely be similar to AsteroidStation/CereStation, with a centralized engineering and other departments scattered around the sides of the station. i have plans to completely replace lavaland with an asteroid belt based on the Kuiper belt

here's a list of possible features:
Spoiler:
- Replace lavaland with an asteroid belt
- Syndie outpost in asteroid belt
- Transit tubes/taxi shuttles to get around the station faster?
- Tesla engine :engie:
- Larger hallways and more open areas
- Large maintenance system with lots of hidden shit (combined with larger hallways + more open areas this means traitors have to go with stealthier tactics)
- CLOWN/MIME OFFICES?
- TRASH BINS?
if you have any questions, post 'em below
i'll post progress updates (hopefully) often
Last edited by Gobblesmack on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil
SS13 ban count: 1
naltronix
Byond Username: Naltronix

Re: KuiperStation

Post by naltronix » #345415

>replace lavaland
>REPLACE LAVALAND
alright kor is gonna give you a fourmban
I play as Asia Maclagan on Bagil, I dont play on Sybil often.

memes lie unseen down in ze spoiler
Spoiler:
god i do love diving into the fourms and finding gems like this
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #345529

it's not hard to "replace" lavaland

you don't fuck with code, you just don't bother putting a shuttle in

if anything the playerbase would be the ones to riot, not kor
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #346025

Gobblesmack, if you truly want to make a good map, try and get some unique assets and features for it. Reusing the same old stuff we have on all our other maps will make it seem really boring and uninspired.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Gobblesmack

Post by Gobblesmack » #346187

what qbopper said
Bawhoppennn wrote:Gobblesmack, if you truly want to make a good map, try and get some unique assets and features for it. Reusing the same old stuff we have on all our other maps will make it seem really boring and uninspired.
yeah, now that you mention it, i'm thinking about doing some custom stuff for the map
also sorry for the lack of progress stuff, been busy with some IRL shit
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #346342

counterpoint: adding a bunch of useless custom snowflake shit for your map might not be a great idea

obviously copy/pasting rooms is shit tier map design and just redoing box with different room layouts is uninspired, but you don't need to make a bunch of stuff for your map just so it can be different

I think if you can find a way to make your map feel different from the current ones we have without using any unique assets/whatever you're golden

that being said don't let me discourage you from adding new stuff to make your map, I just don't think you should start from that perspective
Limey wrote:its too late.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #346364

I've always had a problem with just the same walls and stuff being used everywhere. Maybe if our actual wall sprites looked better it'd be less of an issue.
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #346404

the ideal map that isn't box, is box but better

which means you need to make either

A: a more interesting box

or

B: a more efficent box
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Gobblesmack

Post by Gobblesmack » #346464

Qbopper wrote:counterpoint: adding a bunch of useless custom snowflake shit for your map might not be a great idea

obviously copy/pasting rooms is shit tier map design and just redoing box with different room layouts is uninspired, but you don't need to make a bunch of stuff for your map just so it can be different

I think if you can find a way to make your map feel different from the current ones we have without using any unique assets/whatever you're golden

that being said don't let me discourage you from adding new stuff to make your map, I just don't think you should start from that perspective
hmm.... yeah i honestly agree, i was originally thinking about not using any custom content, at first i thought it seemed unnecessary, and your post is honestly the final nail in the coffin for my opinion
John_Oxford wrote:the ideal map that isn't box, is box but better

which means you need to make either

A: a more interesting box

or

B: a more efficent box
hopefully both ;)

again, sorry for the lack of progress, i've been busy with a lot of irl shit so i can't really map right now, i should be able to get some progress in soon though.
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil
Yakumo_Chen
Byond Username: Yakumo Chen

Post by Yakumo_Chen » #347541

Cere was too big and the only workaround that he bothered to put in place (the telepads) had to be set up manually and that never actually got done. Cults and blobs would win on virtue of it being so massive people would never find a base / the blob before it was too late.

I really wanted to like Asteroid station because the mining there was fun but I remember being unable to ever find my way around it and always got lost looking for certain rooms (like cargo in particular) I really liked the idea of Asteroid though, especially how you could try to break out of perma by having a miner mine you out but otherwise the vacuum of the mine would kill you. Also it was cool having the AI tucked away inside the asteroid, making assaulting it an interesting task.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #347793

One of the most important parts of making a new map is to have it be unique enough to be interesting and different in a fun way, but not to the point where the gimmick becomes a hassle as opposed to a neutral or beneficial aspect of the map. It isn't bad to keep some level of familiarity, so people don't instantly go crazy cause they don't understand the map like a neglected child, but "the same thing organized differently" isn't quite the trope you want to follow.

These are just my thoughts, and I'm sure other people's opinion on the matter are different. You can't ever make a truly "perfect" map as everyone has their own preferences and opinions on what they find to be the most comfortable or enjoyable.

I look forward to hearing more about your ideas and watching your progress!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Gobblesmack

Post by Gobblesmack » #352754

i have thought about this map a bunch and i've finally decided due to lack of progress/motivation for this and unoriginality, i am dumping this map in favour of a more original idea which i'll be working on which you should hopefully see soon
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil