CallStation

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Calibraptor
Byond Username: Calibraptor

CallStation

Post by Calibraptor » #351634

CallStation is my current pet mapping project that I'll be working on in my free time. I have some previous mapping experience, having redesigned both the engineering and security departments for HippieStation back in the day. However this is my first legitimate attempt at making a full, functioning station.

I have no overarching plan for CallStation other than gearing it towards high population rounds, no schematics made ahead of time. Mostly just a collection of ideas that I feel would be fun to see in a station layout.

Callstation Repo: https://github.com/calibraptor/tgstatio ... allStation
Screenshots
Current Arrivals/Bar

Central Civilian Area? This is just a mess???

Current ideas that I'd like to possibly include
- A conveyor belt table for the chef to display his food, much like conveyor sushi places in Tokyo and other locales.

- People needing to walk through civilian areas/departments in order to get to major areas, rather than said areas being off to the side and easily ignored.

- Psyche ward with cells to ERP in throw shitters into
Last edited by Calibraptor on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Re: CallStation

Post by Okand37 » #351650

If you're going for high population, I suggest gearing arrivals towards the mindset that you'll have a lot of people pushing and shoving through it, so perhaps trying to widen the halls to 3 wide (if possible) might be a better alternative than your current two wide halls. I do like the middle checkpoint design though, reminds me of Omega! It's interesting that you have arrivals lead straight into the bar, I like the idea but one thing you'll want to keep in mind is additional routes due to the "don't recruit in arrivals" policy and the fact it'll bottleneck any new arrivals straight into conversion if they're forced into what is generally a densely populated area straight out of arrivals.

The conveyor belt idea seems pretty quirky and neat, but I like it! Maybe have a door from hydroponics out into the bar for easier access through the department block?
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #351663

Okand37 wrote:If you're going for high population, I suggest gearing arrivals towards the mindset that you'll have a lot of people pushing and shoving through it, so perhaps trying to widen the halls to 3 wide (if possible) might be a better alternative than your current two wide halls. I do like the middle checkpoint design though, reminds me of Omega! It's interesting that you have arrivals lead straight into the bar, I like the idea but one thing you'll want to keep in mind is additional routes due to the "don't recruit in arrivals" policy and the fact it'll bottleneck any new arrivals straight into conversion if they're forced into what is generally a densely populated area straight out of arrivals.

The conveyor belt idea seems pretty quirky and neat, but I like it! Maybe have a door from hydroponics out into the bar for easier access through the department block?
Chances are just about everything will look completely and utterly different by the time I'm done with this project, but I definitely plan to widen some halls in arrivals, the ones leading to the escape pods for sure!

The bar and a lot of other locales are easily ignored by a great deal of players, I figure forcing these locations to have more foot traffic will ensure more player interaction for all them lonely barmen/curators/chaplains/cooks.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #351664

One thing I liked about Assstation was the open-plan bar. Just a buncha bar tiles and a counter in the middle of a H intersection.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #351909

Calibraptor wrote: The bar and a lot of other locales are easily ignored by a great deal of players, I figure forcing these locations to have more foot traffic will ensure more player interaction for all them lonely barmen/curators/chaplains/cooks.
Oh no, I don't at all disagree with this idea-infact, I love it! It's a great way to have people interact with these kind of jobs, its just important that there is also another way around (no access required maintenance tunnel, for example) so people aren't forced to bottleneck through these areas and be subjected to conversation right off the bat.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #352320

Callstation 'This is just a fucking mess???' update.

Scrapped the central Medbay/Security idea, deciding to try and squish some civilian departments into the middle/keep them as close to the middle as possible.

So, centralizing the civilian departments and also trying to force nerds to walk through them. Updated images of my atrocity in the OP.
Gobblesmack
Byond Username: Gobblesmack

Post by Gobblesmack » #352755

i really like your progress so far dude, keep it up :D
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil
SS13 ban count: 1
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #352972

agreed, this has some really sweet ideas i might implement into other maps if you don't get this in.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #352991

make disposals emagged roundstart
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Calibraptor

Post by Calibraptor » #357038

Quick Update

Moving things around a bit, also a peek at the WIP for the central recreation area. I'll have to stick the dorms elsewhere due to lack of adequate space.

Currently planning out where I want each department, at the moment.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #358666

Would be really great if you could actually get some unique sprites, or atleast features for your map. I hate how all of our existing maps are just rearranged same exact stuff. (And then even when someone DOES try and add something new, some asshole just goes and makes a PR and adds it to every other map anyways because of """Consistency""")
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.