MagnetStation

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Gobblesmack
Byond Username: Gobblesmack

MagnetStation

Post by Gobblesmack » #352839

Last edited by Gobblesmack on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Spoiler:
bagil > sybil
SS13 ban count: 1
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Re: MagnetStation

Post by DemonFiren » #352840

>teleporters
no
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #352908

The idea seems rather similar to the late cerestation, in that its a highpopulation map that takes place between various separated areas with transit routes. Perhaps you could take a look at our former stations discstation and asteroidstation for some more ideas if you wanted to incorporate a transit system?
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #352939

Transit tubes are garbage for transporting past small distances, especially if you want a high-population map. I can pretty much guarantee you people will essentially ignore your teleporter pads, considering that was the general response they had on Cerestation. The shuttle aspect is going to introduce a delay between traveling to departments, which only seems to upset some people.

The change to an asteroid belt is going to essentially be a return to the old mining, which while is a nice sentiment to those who were around for chill mining, just isn't how the role is played anymore. Most miners are playing for the PvE aspect and unless you plan on working in your own asteroid belt ruins with some mobs to get a similar aspect, you're just gonna be upsetting that group of players and generally taking a chunk of gameplay out of that round for both crew and ghosts.

I personally wouldn't even suggest starting this project unless you have a VERY good idea on your layout and know pretty much exactly how you want departments sized out and placed. Take some time to sketch out some layouts. The tools and general concept of putting a map together isn't exactly difficult to learn but there's a lot of stuff that needs to go into something like a station to make it both interesting to play in and be visually interesting.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #352946

Gobblesmack wrote: - Lavaland replaced with asteroid belt
guess it's not getting merged
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #352952

I love the Cere-like features, such as isolated departments on their own asteroids.

I do not like the TEG being the main engine, as it has no interesting failure mechanics. You mentioned SM and Tesla (Singulo too?) being engine options. So, if all the equipment to set up the engine of choice is present, then it is fine.

Telepads (Not teleporters, quantum pads) are good as a secondary transit system, but you may wish to pre-link them. I know that I suggested leaving them unlinked on Cerestation, but this did not work well in practice.

I feel you are making a HUGE mistake in replacing Lavaland with Asteroid mining. This is only acceptable on a low-population map. Lavaland is the most interesting and fun thing to ever happen to the Shaft Miner job. If you take that away, you will be fast tracking your map to the recycle bin. Do not do it.
calzilla1
Byond Username: Calzilla1

Post by calzilla1 » #353285

Maybe make it like goons mining magnet. Better parts=better loot
Life is too short for anything meaningful and too long for anything memeingful
Super Aggro Crag wrote: The best shitpost youll ever be responsible for will be your obituary.
Quality debate brought to you by ColonicAcid wrote:imagine having this little empathy

do you have autism bud? does your brain not see these people as humans? are they just a faceless statistic to you?
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #353731

Armhulen wrote:
Gobblesmack wrote: - Lavaland replaced with asteroid belt
guess it's not getting merged
the only scenario i could iamgine this working is with a lowpop ministation style map where you can't afford having players messing around off the z level, lavaland is way too beloved by the playerbase for this to be likely at all in any other case
Limey wrote:its too late.