mapping/fastdmm alternative?

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

mapping/fastdmm alternative?

Post by Qbopper » #374747

I did a little bit of digging but didn't find anything

fastdmm broke itself for literally no reason and mapping in vanilla dream maker makes me hurt inside, are there any other alternative tools out there for byond mapping?
Limey wrote:its too late.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Re: mapping/fastdmm alternative?

Post by MMMiracles » #374814

You aren't going to find anything, unless you want to try making the maps inside notepad. Dream maker can be a bit of a pain at times, but it's definitely something you can get used to with some edits.

The main things I change are click behavior to click to insert/ctrl+click to replace, nudging as pixels, framing areas, then selecting all layers except the area layer and enable 'only show selectable layers'. Personal preference, but it helps in my opinion.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374849

MMMiracles wrote:You aren't going to find anything, unless you want to try making the maps inside notepad. Dream maker can be a bit of a pain at times, but it's definitely something you can get used to with some edits.

The main things I change are click behavior to click to insert/ctrl+click to replace, nudging as pixels, framing areas, then selecting all layers except the area layer and enable 'only show selectable layers'. Personal preference, but it helps in my opinion.
not sure how you can change click behavior or the what you mean by the other stuff but hiding the area layer is essentially required if you dont want to go insane
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #374854

Qbopper wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:You aren't going to find anything, unless you want to try making the maps inside notepad. Dream maker can be a bit of a pain at times, but it's definitely something you can get used to with some edits.

not sure how you can change click behavior or the what you mean by the other stuff but hiding the area layer is essentially required if you dont want to go insane
In the 'Options' tab drop-down, there's options for changing click behavior, area framing, and the pixel nudging.

The area framing lets you see the outline of each area, so you can see what rooms have an area at a glance without needing areas enabled. The nudging lets you move the item's step/pixel_x/y by 1 in whatever direction you select. Dream Maker has it set to changing the step by default, which is bad since step breaks the gliding movement between turfs.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #374859

List grievances and maybe I will eventually finish my thing, in the meantime I also do the same things that MMMiracles listed.
Rockdtben
Site Admin
Byond Username: Rockdtben
Github Username: Rockdtben

Post by Rockdtben » #374903

The fastdmm project is open source. If the issue is still persisting after Jan 23rd. I will take a look at it https://github.com/monster860/FastDMM/issues/49
Custom Software Solutions, Mentorship, and game development ----> Main Site
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374961

MMMiracles wrote:
Qbopper wrote:

In the 'Options' tab drop-down, there's options for changing click behavior, area framing, and the pixel nudging.

The area framing lets you see the outline of each area, so you can see what rooms have an area at a glance without needing areas enabled. The nudging lets you move the item's step/pixel_x/y by 1 in whatever direction you select. Dream Maker has it set to changing the step by default, which is bad since step breaks the gliding movement between turfs.
ah, cool, thank you
SpaceManiac wrote:List grievances and maybe I will eventually finish my thing, in the meantime I also do the same things that MMMiracles listed.
just make fastdmm but with hotkey support and the shit mmmiracles said and it'd be perfect
Rockdtben wrote:The fastdmm project is open source. If the issue is still persisting after Jan 23rd. I will take a look at it https://github.com/monster860/FastDMM/issues/49
it's been dead quite a while and i've been having the problem in the issue you linked well before it was posted

I don't even know if the dev is around so it'll probably stay dead
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #374993

Looks like the main coder for the project is working elsewhere and cant focus on FastDMM
MMMiracles. If you can please update the mapping guide to include the tricks you know if its not there please. If need be I will try and create a link to the mapping guide in this subsection because it looks like it sorely needs more information and tricks for newer mappers.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #374996

Jalleo wrote:MMMiracles. If you can please update the mapping guide to include the tricks you know if its not there please. If need be I will try and create a link to the mapping guide in this subsection because it looks like it sorely needs more information and tricks for newer mappers.
would be very nice and i can help out if need be, the information on mapping is lackluster at best
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #375022

It is open source nothing is stopping me or anyone else from forking it and yall using rhe forked version instead.
Game Master: 03/24/2022 - Now || Domain Holder: 04/15/2014 - 03/24/2022 || Code Project Lead: 02/01/2014 - 10/07/2014 || G-Admin: 12/29/2013 - 04/04/2015 || T-Admin: 3/29/2013 - 12/29/2013 || Codermin: ? - 3/29/2013 || Started Playing: 6/13/2006 || "Took no shit from shitters" - MrStonedOne
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #375043

Its more for clarity that you will be sorting FastDMM fork and letting us know when it works.
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #375111

Gotcha, yeah I think it is a simple conversion error and the original author may have not used some of the "comes for free" libraries that make encoding and decoding super simple so I will resolve it.
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #375150

Rockdtben wrote:It is open source nothing is stopping me or anyone else from forking it and yall using rhe forked version instead.
i thought you meant making prs for the existing project because im a smoothbrain
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #375199

Alright guys here it is.
  • Fixes issue with addition/subtraction macro breaking loading on a /tg/station13 map
  • Potential Issue: Subtraction Macro might be dividing. If it is let me know and I can fix that as well.
My Fork: https://github.com/Rockdtben/FastDMM

v0.7: https://github.com/Rockdtben/FastDMM/releases/tag/v0.7
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #375208

Rockdtben wrote:Alright guys here it is.
  • Fixes issue with addition/subtraction macro breaking loading on a /tg/station13 map
  • Potential Issue: Subtraction Macro might be dividing. If it is let me know and I can fix that as well.
My Fork: https://github.com/Rockdtben/FastDMM

v0.7: https://github.com/Rockdtben/FastDMM/releases/tag/v0.7
holy fucking god, you may just be the best person alive right now
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #375239

This is a previous headcoder during the start of this forum. They are definitely a great person. Thank you for your fine work here Rock.
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #376087

A couple things I am thinking to add. Please provide your thoughts.
  • Option/Preference -> Shortcuts/Hotkeys - Allows user to modify the default settings for key controls
  • Quick Filtering of Object List
  • Ability to also filter out the object list by a preference/option setting. This would provide a way for code bases to let mappers know that they should not place certain things. Basically this just filters the object list by a variable... NoMap=1 or something simpler.
  • BYOND Auth - Like OAUTH - Probably not going to happen... BYOND
  • Layering capabilities - Need more input from you guys on what this means. Looking at you Jalleo.
  • BluePrints - AKA A robust copy and paste system that allows the users to make templates that that can easily copy, paste, rotate, etc. Make it once use it ten times.
  • Extensions - Provide a system to extends the FastDMM to do more than what is provided in the box. AKA Allowing for LUA or some other script lang to setup custom things like "PIPING and CABLES", Requirements for TGSTation Map completion...etc. Plugins!
Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #376093

• Option/Preference -> Shortcuts/Hotkeys
    Will be helpful once guides come alone to help teach this too.
    Same as above
  • Ability to also filter out the object list by a preference/option setting. Yes please
  • BYOND Auth
    No idea what this means but that's me.
  • Layering capabilities
    What I am trying to ask for in regards to this is that its easier to see what is your base layout so you can have multiple versions of the same ruin prepared.
    e.g. one layout but many files for what the interior can be and so forth. (One is a resturant style, Another is a complete full on syndicate base)
  • BluePrints -
    Yes this very much especially with how you explain what you want it to be.
  • Extensions
    Sounds good
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #376250

What about a palette separate from the object tree for easy access to commonly used things?
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #376355

FastDMM is now officially forked by /tg/station13. Add issues here: https://github.com/tgstation/FastDMM/issues
Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #376396

Rockdtben wrote:A couple things I am thinking to add. Please provide your thoughts.
  • Option/Preference -> Shortcuts/Hotkeys - Allows user to modify the default settings for key controls
  • Ability to also filter out the object list by a preference/option setting. This would provide a way for code bases to let mappers know that they should not place certain things. Basically this just filters the object list by a variable... NoMap=1 or something simpler.
  • BYOND Auth - Like OAUTH - Probably not going to happen... BYOND
  • Layering capabilities - Need more input from you guys on what this means. Looking at you Jalleo.
  • BluePrints - AKA A robust copy and paste system that allows the users to make templates that that can easily copy, paste, rotate, etc. Make it once use it ten times.
  • Extensions - Provide a system to extends the FastDMM to do more than what is provided in the box. AKA Allowing for LUA or some other script lang to setup custom things like "PIPING and CABLES", Requirements for TGSTation Map completion...etc. Plugins!
-hotkeys are the biggest missing feature in fastDMM so this alone would be incredible and should be the #1 priority if you're going to stick with this, imo
-quick filtering would be nice, no real opinion there
-seems like it would be an interesting feature, but you'd have to add the var or whatever to every object you don't want mapped, which would be a pain
-I'm not even sure what you mean by this tbh
-layering can be a pain but I'm used to the default behaviour from DMM so I wouldn't know how to improve it
-would be interesting, probably not necessary but a cool feature nonetheless - you can achieve a similar result with copy/pasting the desired template elsewhere (though you can't rotate that)
-dude if you added a plugin system and had some automatically use the map merger tool that would be fucking incredible

thanks again for all the work on this, it's hugely appreciated
SpaceManiac
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Post by SpaceManiac » #376720

To start, thanks for picking up FastDMM. I'm still more productive in DreamMaker right now but that could change. Hit me up if you ever run into issues with the DM parser, I wrote one from scratch to get the map renderer working because FastDMM's seemed like a hack and so far it's doing its job.

Here's a list of ideas, pick your favorites or leave them:
  • Rotation
  • Smoothing/underfloor visualization
  • Static overlay/underlay handling (APCs, alarms, computers, pipes, &c.)
  • Scratch space for copy/pasting from that doesn't require tabbing to other maps
  • Visualization of shuttle docking regions
  • Highlights or arrows for linked objects for buttons and cycling airlocks
  • Easy piping/wiring tools of some description (click and drag?)
  • Sort or filter vars list, hide vars you shouldn't edit, highlight bad dirty vars, allow undirtying vars (can't believe DM doesn't have this last one)
  • Linting tools to automatically handle the mapping checklist
If you go for plugins, please for sanity's sake use Lua or something and not Java. As much as I hate the Lua syntax it is the only popular scripting language simple enough to be widely embeddable (Python is too big and nobody knows Tcl anymore). I'd be happy to work on this as well so that plugins that affect visuals or provide metadata can be portable with the map renderer.

Personally I would avoid any network features in this otherwise inherently non-networked thing, a map editor. They're more trouble than they're worth.
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #376752

Hey SpaceManiac,

Let's talk when you have time. I have some ideas and I agree with your points.
Rockdtben
Site Admin

Post by Rockdtben » #377345

HI all,

We now have a subforum dedicated to FastDMM discussion and development. Please head on over there and start making some posts: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=62