Fixing map conflicts?

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Fixing map conflicts?

Postby Denton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:07 am #388500

Is there a proper way to fix map conflicts when another PR that modifies a map file gets merged before mine?

So far I've been doing it the caveman way where I copy+paste my changes onto the version found on master. There has got to be a more efficient way.
Image



SpaceManiac
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 am
Byond Username: SpaceManiac
Github Username: SpaceManiac

Re: Fixing map conflicts?

Postby SpaceManiac » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:32 am #388517

If you're careful you can edit the .dmm file in a text editor and solve the conflict there, but it's kind of tricky. Your current method is not so bad. In your experience, do the conflicts appear spurious or are you editing the same locations as others are?

I'm working on automatic conflict resolver scripts for DMM and DMI files, but it'll be some time until I'm confident in their success rate.

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: Fixing map conflicts?

Postby Denton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:36 am #388532

SpaceManiac wrote:In your experience, do the conflicts appear spurious or are you editing the same locations as others are?


So far, I mostly have issues with conflicts when I make changes that can't easily be copypasted. For example, adding 20 light switches that are spread all over Pubbystation.
Image

Selea
 
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:11 am
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Re: Fixing map conflicts?

Postby Selea » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm #388576

Update your master branch. Rebase changes onto master. Git reset to point of master update. Save maps in mapmerge.git reset to last commit. Mapmerge.
This way all your changes will be properly merged on new version of map.
Image

User avatar
Denton
Code Maintainer
 
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:53 pm
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Re: Fixing map conflicts?

Postby Denton » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:58 pm #388607

Selea wrote:Update your master branch. Rebase changes onto master. Git reset to point of master update. Save maps in mapmerge.git reset to last commit. Mapmerge.
This way all your changes will be properly merged on new version of map.

Thank you for that, I'll test it on my branch tomorrow.
Image

Scott
Github User
 
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 pm
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Re: Fixing map conflicts?

Postby Scott » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:52 pm #420297

SpaceManiac wrote:If you're careful you can edit the .dmm file in a text editor and solve the conflict there, but it's kind of tricky. Your current method is not so bad. In your experience, do the conflicts appear spurious or are you editing the same locations as others are?

I'm working on automatic conflict resolver scripts for DMM and DMI files, but it'll be some time until I'm confident in their success rate.


When the old python merger was removed, the script for resolving map conflicts was also removed (although the improved merger didn't include a script like it). You can look at it, the results are as good as they can be, provided there are no bugs.


Return to Spriting and Mapping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users