Steelstation (AKA: Shitty_Station13)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Re: Steelstation (AKA: Shitty_Station13)

Post by Steelpoint » #183718

Bottom post of the previous page:

First design overview of the bridge, far from finished but it shows some of the minimum items needed for the bridge.

North defense might be overkill but its meant to discourage a push from space in the north.
Spoiler:
Edit

Also progress on medbay
Spoiler:
I've also gotten a general layout for the old station part of the station. It's got a more rigid, box like, structure currently.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183725

Progress on medbay.
Spoiler:
I'll be moving to furnish RnD now.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183733

Finished a one over of RD's Office, Sec Checkpoint and Robotics. (Yes the tables block the recharging station)
Spoiler:
Edit

Set up the entrance, toxins storage and server room with bonus HoP office.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183773

Final RnD update.
Spoiler:
First Security run over, half way through.

I'm going with a more metastation inspired armoury, I may push back the perma wing to expand the Warden's Office and the Armoury.
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #183807

>windows only corner touching on the bridge and just hanging there
This looks awful and nobody likes it, there's a reason nobody maps walls or windows only touching by a corner ever.
>Captain's office has a single pocket JUST for his display case gun
This looks awful. It's shoved in a little pocket for god knows why, that sticks out like a little tumor. It may hold his gun, but it's also a display case and nobody puts display cases surrounded by walls on three sides. If you argue that you want to keep it symmetrical with the teleporter room across the way, that room has an empty nothingness next to the computer on the bottom which also looks bad, there's a reason nobody does that in mapping either.

Bad map so far, imo
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #183831

This map seems cool as hell but I only have two things to bring up

1. Maintenance is on the centcomm z-level? That Z has weird rules I think, like no teleporting or using magic on it. Might fuck with stuff if maintenance is there.

2. Engineering should be on the left side so the station is divided into 'useful and rational departments on the left' and 'insane peasants squabbling in poverty' on the right'
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183879

I've scrapped the underground maintenance.

One reason I would like to have engineering on the bad side is because that side will have a lot of empty maint areas to build in.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183963

NikNakFlak wrote:>windows only corner touching on the bridge and just hanging there
This looks awful and nobody likes it, there's a reason nobody maps walls or windows only touching by a corner ever.
>Captain's office has a single pocket JUST for his display case gun
This looks awful. It's shoved in a little pocket for god knows why, that sticks out like a little tumor. It may hold his gun, but it's also a display case and nobody puts display cases surrounded by walls on three sides. If you argue that you want to keep it symmetrical with the teleporter room across the way, that room has an empty nothingness next to the computer on the bottom which also looks bad, there's a reason nobody does that in mapping either.

Bad map so far, imo
Thanks for the feedback, but I should note the contents and current arrangement of all rooms is not final, its more so that I am sure I can fit the minimum amount of items needed into a room so I don't need to expand or contract a room.

Secondly I'm looking at redoing several things.

Firstly I'm going to gut and redo most of Security and the Brig. Secondly I'm rearranging the positions of all departments, so now Engineering will also be on the 'Newstation' as well.

Here's a overview.

I should note I've not added in maintenance to the station yet, so assume most gaps and black areas will be filled in at a later date.
Spoiler:
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #183977

Bridge is too big. I love the "command station" layout, but it doesnt mesh so well with the fact there's also the standard "big empty room", and I'm not sure you can see any of them from any other.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #183979

I jsut noticed the council chamber is one chair short. RIP CMO, not even a real Head of Staff
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183986

Here's a more compact bridge design, plus a expanded council chamber.

I may reorganize the council room later on to put the Captain's chair at the head of a better table.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184010

My progress on Engineering.

I went through several iterations until I've reached this version, still a work in progress but I'm liking what I've got thus far.
Spoiler:
Atmo will be the last thing I'll be doing ever since atmo is something I still struggle to understand and I want it to be efficient and somewhat compact.

EDIT: I've also updated the OP with information.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #184020

The corridor at the engineering access is kind of a useless stub
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184022

I'll likely make it a public access area with some misc tools for anyone (assistants) to nab.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #184025

Sounds good
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184036

Update to engineering, general layout is finished minus some finishing touches and all the filler/useful items that go in.

Yes I'm intentionally leaving the end of the containment pen exposed because I've forever disagreed with that change.
Spoiler:
(I'll do proper testing later on but if I find the current location of the Gravity Gen to be too close to the CE/Engi's then I'll shift it to the other side where they'll be no one, usually)
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #184039

Perhaps edit the bridge window parts to atleast have an extra layer of grille around it so it looks "fuller" instead of having the windows not connected.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184040

Okand37 wrote:Perhaps edit the bridge window parts to atleast have an extra layer of grille around it so it looks "fuller" instead of having the windows not connected.
Something like this?

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184043

Last pic of the night, security.

I've gone over many iterations with Sec and I'm still unsure of this one. My main constraint is the proximity of Atmo. But I think this design can work, but its barebones.
Spoiler:
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #184049

FYI the mesons you put on the table in the bridge are cyborg mesons. You need to replace them with normal ones
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #184102

Steelpoint wrote:
Okand37 wrote:Perhaps edit the bridge window parts to atleast have an extra layer of grille around it so it looks "fuller" instead of having the windows not connected.
Something like this?

Perfect!
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184141

@allure
Thank for the heads up, but as I mentioned I'm just slapping stuff down more so I know if I can fit the rooms with the items needed, I plan to do a complete one over every room on the station after I've finished the general layout. I want to ensure I can fit what I need in each room before I move onto the next dept incase I need to expand or contract a room.

@Okand37
Great, I'll use that template for the other command bridges.

Here's my update to security, a bit more metastation inspired but I can't really escape that.

The thing with station design, more so on Newstation, is that I want everything to be familiar to players. Its hard enough playing on a forign station but at least ensuring the basic department is familiar in layout to a degree means you can get to work knowing the general positioning of everything.

Oldstation will be far more whacky however.

(Armoury is me literally just copy+pasting guns in to see if I can fit what I want in there, its not even close to finished nor are the contents final)
Spoiler:
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #184159

Steelpoint wrote:snip
Spoiler:
Where's the asylum? Why, on every new map, people leave out the madhouse?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184161

Its the glass room in the perma wing, left of the medical ward and right of the perma room.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #184307

Steelpoint wrote:Its the glass room in the perma wing, left of the medical ward and right of the perma room.
thank god, good map, :+1:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184461

Ok so I'm satisifed with the layout of Security for the moment, I'll expand and touch on it later on when I get to the fluff stage.

I've gone ahead and mapped out the maintenance zone to a extent, its not final but it'll be a good indicator of the extent of maintenance for the Newstation.

I should note that again, this maintenance is not finished, its just a basic layout. I intend to expand it but be aware that the Newstation maint will be very clean and organized by Maintenance standards.
Spoiler:
I'll also be starting to map out the Oldstation now, since I'm mostly satisfied with the Newstation layout, barring any further feedback.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #184470

maybe move perma to the right? having the hallway be so long means more walking and less of a chance for warden to visit the prisoners
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184471

I could rotate perma to be where the medical ward and the north maint entrance is and then put all the minor stuff where perma is, it would make perma much closer to the Warden's Office.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184480

Redesigned perma wing and all the misc areas as well, so perma is MUCH closer to the Warden's Office now.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184880

After some discussion and similar I've tried my hand on another redesign of the brig to try and create a more original security design instead of a copy of Metastation's.

Its all WIP as usual and any items you see on the map are literal placeholders.
Spoiler:
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #184881

Is there a reason the other council desks don't have the ID swipe thing?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184882

I've yet to do a proper filling in of the station.

My basic plan for the moment is to get a basic floor layout of each department and area of the station, sans maintenance. Once I'm happy with the layout of the entire station, Old and New, I'll then start both filling in a maintenance AS WELL AS filling in each department with everything you need ala every other station.

As well as actually designing the rooms to be pleasing and efficient.

Any items you see on the map are mainly me testing to ensure I can fit the minimum amount of items needed in a room, no sense in me making a 4x4 room then to discover later on it can't fit everything inside it so now I have to expand and move everything later on.
Not-Dorsidarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #184911

I'm not a big fan of the cells. Not only are there only 3 instead of 4, but they're walled in, (presumably next to a maint tunnel for easy breakouts) and cant be seen from outside sec like most brig designs.

The wardens office is infinitely better than whatever the weird mess the old one was.

The whole block could stand to be moved 2 tiles down, so that the wall by that maint door is the same wall as the wall of the weird entrance foyer.

HOS's desk being in front of the warden's door is weird but not unworkable

Prison shuttle might want to be remapped, usually it also functions as a sneaky way into sec for people with emags who dont want to be obvious, and ex-prisoners cant leave the brig.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184916

Good points.

I can easily add in a fourth cell somewhere. I'm unsure if maintenance will stretch behind the cells, it all depends on how compact I can make atmospherics.

The HoS's Desk and the whole sec room infront of the Warden's Office is still heavily a WIP, I will be going over the design and making the front of the Warden's Office better looking.

The Prison Shuttle is a good thought, I may move it about or at least try and offer a way out for people, or a way in.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #184927

Some things about the Science section of the station:
- The RD office looks quite open, are there privacy shutters or anything to use for doing antag-ey things?
- The RD appears to be missing his hardsuit, although you have a unit in the CMO and HoS office (going off your latest Sec image and the full map in the OP)
Just a reminder for when you complete the office and the rest of the miscellaneous elements like status screens, air alarms, etc.
- The Sec office is missing a lockdown button. Also, I am hoping it will not look so big and empty once you finish furnishing it.
- What do you plan on putting in the empty room to the south east? Misc Sci?
- Consider moving the four primary machines in Xenobio (grinder, monkey grinder, slime grinder, slime fridge) closer to the console, or move the consoles closer to the entrance. You will be saving the players there the step of moving the machines themselves. If you disagree with this point, please consider providing a wrench at the very least.
- Xenobiology is missing the slime kill room.
- The robotics surgery table has no computer, is very cramped and is unorganized.
- The conveyors are a nice touch. Do not forget to place the levers, though.
- The Experimentor is missing. It still has a use and should be included.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184929

@Gun Hob

To again pre note, if you've noticed I've missed placing any items down on the map, from Hardsuits to buttons, its simply because I'm not yet at the stage where I'm putting items down. Any items on the map currently are all place holder and are far more for me to ensure I can fit whatever I need into the rooms, so I don't need to expand/contract parts of the station later on.

Though some rooms have been designed a bit, but all area's of the station will be getting a proper look over and proper design later on.

Onto your points
Spoiler:
- The RD office looks quite open, are there privacy shutters or anything to use for doing antag-ey things?
I'll likely be placing some normal walls down to obfusicate the room a bit, shutters would also work so you would have to at least go to the north side to see what's going on.
- The RD appears to be missing his hardsuit, although you have a unit in the CMO and HoS office (going off your latest Sec image and the full map in the OP)
See my point on unfinished item placement, the Hardsuit will be there.
- The Sec office is missing a lockdown button. Also, I am hoping it will not look so big and empty once you finish furnishing it.
See my point on unfinished item placement. I do intend to fully furnish the room to make it more lived in and full and not barren.
- What do you plan on putting in the empty room to the south east? Misc Sci?
That will be where I plan to place the Experimator room/Testing Area. It'll expand or be made bigger once I get into designing the maintenance part of the station.
- Consider moving the four primary machines in Xenobio (grinder, monkey grinder, slime grinder, slime fridge) closer to the console, or move the consoles closer to the entrance. You will be saving the players there the step of moving the machines themselves. If you disagree with this point, please consider providing a wrench at the very least.
Good point, I'll set up a proper work bench area for the Scientist's to work with the items they need without having to move about as much.
- Xenobiology is missing the slime kill room.
I never noticed that room before, I will add one in however and there's plenty of room for it.
- The robotics surgery table has no computer, is very cramped and is unorganized.
Your right as I'm unhappy with its design, I planned to revisit it later.
- The conveyors are a nice touch. Do not forget to place the levers, though.
See my point on unfinished item placement.
- The Experimentor is missing. It still has a use and should be included.
As I noted above I plan to add it in, I have not forgotten about it.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #184944

Cool, good luck with the rest of your map!
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184953

Why not ditch perma and add P R I S O N S T A T I O N
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #184958

I've tried to make a very compact perma so its not a big blob that serve little purpose.

Also there's always the Gulag/Magma Sentencing.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #185143

Cargo as is on Oldstation.
Spoiler:
Also the Oldstation arrivals
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #187453

Now that my final exams are finished I'll be starting back on this, stay tuned.