Steelstation (AKA: Shitty_Station13)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Steelstation (AKA: Shitty_Station13)

Post by Steelpoint » #37493

After two years I've decided to again lend my hand at making a map. I was put off onto continuing my original work due to a combination of real life issues (close family death) as well as the constant shitposting by a certain someone.

I have no aspirations of this map being put on rotation if it is ever finished, but I do hope to not only finish this map but to make it a good one, as far as a gimmick goes.

--

The main edge of this station is that its divided into two stations. One 'Old' station and one 'New' station. The Oldstation houses all civilian area's of the station, the chapel, bar, theater and everything else, as well as a lot of broken apart old departments and a large and expansive maintenance. Whereas the Newstation houses all five major departments, inculding the Command deck. Whereas Oldstation is decript, falling apart and overall a giant mess the Newstation should be clean, efficient and modern.

I'm currently working more on Newstation.

Here is the most up to date, overall post on the station.
Spoiler:
Thank you for your time, any and all feedback is appreciated.

Old 2014 Inital Post
Spoiler:
I've decided to lend my hand at making a map, fun times ahead.

The gimmick is that its essentially two space stations, a old station and new station, that have been joined.

New Station holds Med Bay, Science, Security and Command. Old Station holds Engineering, Cargo and the Civilian sector.

---------

Here's a very quick overview of how I imagine the station. (Where it says Civilian, it should say Atmo!)

I'm currently working on mapping out the basic station layout. I've finished mapping out the New Station mostly.

Overall progress: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8iw ... 1.png?dl=0

-----------

HISTORICAL TEXT BELOW

I'm currently working on mapping out the basic station layout. I've begun on New Station with Medbay. Here is my Med progress thus far.

Its early days, I've already gotten feedback on the design.

---------

Any suggestions, tips, hatred, etc is greatly appreciated. This will take a while and is mainly for my own experience. However I intend to finish this map, unless something horrible comes up.

Thanks.
Last edited by Steelpoint on Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 am, edited 5 times in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: Steelstation (AKA: Shitty_Station13)

Post by paprika » #37515

Based as fuck, good luck dude.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #37534

That Security checkpoint is legit. But then, this is Steelpoint. Solid idea. Not sure what all the minor lines between old and new station are but if it's just that one major hallway: would bomb all day.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37608

Layout of the Science department as it stands. I did add the server room in-between Toxins and Xenobio.
Spoiler:
I'm not as 100% certain on this design as I am for medbay. Feedback would be great.
Cipher3 wrote:Not sure what all the minor lines between old and new station are but if it's just that one major hallway: would bomb all day.
The dark lines are the connection points for the wiring/pipes/disposals. I plan on adding pressure suits to these areas so people can EVA from one station to the other.

I might take some inspiration from Goon and make the main bridge indestructible.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37619

Currently working on designing Security.

I have not fully mapped it out, mainly because I'm still conflicted on its design.

Here's how it looks currently, this is the second iteration I've made.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Slightly updated, still would like feedback.
Spoiler:
I've also got a idea for statues and the bridge.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37638

While I let Security wait for feedback, I'm working on a bridge design. Since I've got to be 'hip' and 'new' I've tried to shake things up, maybe, probley not.

Here's the bridge in a heavy WIP state. Its just the bridge and some random Command area work I'm doing.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37674

I'm planning ahead for the inclusion of maintenance. Now here's a idea I've got, and I would like to get feedback. What if a good majority of maintenance is underneath the station, primarily the new station? Essentially, there will be maintenance access points on the new station, the old station would go with the normal maint method. This consists of a ladder/stairs that take you to the maintenance tunnels.

The big advantage here is that it would allow me greater freedom in creating maintenance for the new station, and help reinforce the idea of a clean station on the top side. The only areas where maintenance will pop up is for APC points. It would also further make maintenance a scary, foreboding area that really is out of the way and not meant as a alternative main hallway.

The down side is that maintenance will be somewhat insulated from the usual carnage of a round, and that it might get disorientating and that the outer maint walls will have to be indestructible to prevent players from flying around the CentCom Z-Level. (Or I can surround the maint area with a teleportation network that teleports you off the Z-Level to a random level).

Its just a thought.
StrawberryMoses
Byond Username: StrawberryMoses

Post by StrawberryMoses » #37749

I really like the idea of having a cleaner station on top and hiding the wiring below. It's always felt kind of weird to me that the station is basically surrounded by maint on the outside. Would it be possible for piping and wiring to be below? It might give some more thoughts to traitors on what they should blow up.
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #37753

All the screenshots you'e published look great. Bridge is good, but it seems too exposed; maybe if you made double-layered windows like the AI satellite, it would make things a lot better. I like the way you're doing the brig, and both medical and science look phenomenal. As for the maintenance under the station, it could work if you could transfer things across the z-level, i.e. explosion damage, wiring, air flow, etc. If that could be accomplished, than it would certainly be better than maintenance on the same z-level.

Keep it up.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37764

I realised a bit too late that you need to built maintenance alongside making departments. Hence why I had the idea of the new station using the underground maintenance.

Sadly, as far as I know, you can't transfer pipes/wires/disposals to other Z-Levels. It would still serve its purpose in reaching the solars/getting to areas.

Even if you could make explosions translate from maint to above, that might be too much since it would be easy to plant bombs underneath vital station areas.

Though I still want to do the underground maint. But if there was a way to move wires across then that would be great.
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #37765

Steelpoint wrote:I realised a bit too late that you need to built maintenance alongside making departments. Hence why I had the idea of the new station using the underground maintenance.

Sadly, as far as I know, you can't transfer pipes/wires/disposals to other Z-Levels. It would still serve its purpose in reaching the solars/getting to areas.

Even if you could make explosions translate from maint to above, that might be too much since it would be easy to plant bombs underneath vital station areas.

Though I still want to do the underground maint. But if there was a way to move wires across then that would be great.
If you want to do this, you should be mapping something in baycode which I'm pretty sure still has multi-level support in their codebase, if not then an older revision which does.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37767

Jordie0608 wrote:If you want to do this, you should be mapping something in baycode which I'm pretty sure still has multi-level support in their codebase, if not then an older revision which does.
Bu-but baycode!

Its no real problem either way, the new station will go with a traditional Mainline/branch system. The old station will use that but be more maintenance focused.

What will happen is that there will be a small room that pops out of maint which will be where the APC's go, with exceptions to certain rooms that have a higher need for power than others (Brig, Command, RnD, Engineering)
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37771

Here is the bridge as it stands.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Here is a quick example of how maintenance would work.

You have two maint entry points, the Entrance maint entry and the Security maint entry. Take note of the ladders.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Say you want to go from the entrance to the sec area via maint, here is that path.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #37816

I can say with confidence that the 'New Station' is mostly mapped out. Barring the AI Core and the underground maintenance sections.

Here's a image of it. As always even though its mapped out its still heavily WIP and unfinished. (There will be significantly less 'space' in later versions)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/8iw ... 1.png?dl=0

I'll start mapping out the 'Old Station'.

EDIT: Yes, I know the Command Escape Pod would end up crashing into the Old Station. I'll move it later.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #37866

You should glass and a window around the grass.
Hey.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #37887

the bridge computer-pod things are a cool idea, but aesthetically, theyre really ugly. there's a lot of empty space in the bridge that would probably look better with the computers there.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #37934

This is rather silly. Should be only one set of stairs if you want it to look right.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38011

Nienhaus wrote:You should glass and a window around the grass.
Done
miggles wrote:the bridge computer-pod things are a cool idea, but aesthetically, theyre really ugly. there's a lot of empty space in the bridge that would probably look better with the computers there.
I've yet to add content to the bridge, the empty space problem should hopefully disappear later on. I can always revisit the design later on.
Violaceus wrote:There seriously should be some kind of third medical console so you wouldn't need to mask it by placing ID console. I ran into this problem also when I was making my own small map.
Not much I can use, I could use a operation console for surgery.
paprika wrote:This is rather silly. Should be only one set of stairs if you want it to look right.
Fixed.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #38059

Steelpoint wrote:
Say you want to go from the entrance to the sec area via maint, here is that path.
Spoiler:
How are you using the ladders, Is the maintenance on another z level? I assume so other wise someone could bump into them.
This seems like a great use of ladders, and maintenance just immediately seems more interesting when it's "underneath" the station.
私は完璧
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38062

Remie Richards wrote:
Steelpoint wrote:
Spoiler:
How are you using the ladders, Is the maintenance on another z level? I assume so other wise someone could bump into them.
This seems like a great use of ladders, and maintenance just immediately seems more interesting when it's "underneath" the station.
Pretty much. Going on the ladder will send you to another Z-level (CentCom) where a "underground" maintenance is placed.

While sadly I can't route wires/piping through it, it does nonetheless present a interesting maintenance alternative to the gold standard as well as making it even that more foreboding.

EDIT: What I might do is set up a invisible teleportation ring around the maintenance area to send anyone who breaks out of the maint network to a random non-centcom z-level. This is so I won't have to make the maint walls indestructible.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38066

Now I'm thinking of how to do Arrivals/Escape wing. Here's my preliminary thoughts.

Here's how it stands so far on the station, note that this is just me doing a quick copy/paste of other shuttle. This is not what I plan to do, its just so I had a frame to work with while doing the Old Station.
Spoiler:
Now, here is how I'm envisioning the Escape/Arrivals wing will actually look like.
Spoiler:
Thoughts?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38072

Its not mine its Asteroidstation's shuttle.

I just used it for reference. I'll be making my own evac shuttle.

Here's the Asteroidstation's tg page: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1689
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38089

Here is my first Escape Wing attempt. I'm sure the more astute of you will notice something quite different with my initial evac shuttles design.
Spoiler:
EDIT: Slightly improved design
Spoiler:
StrawberryMoses

Post by StrawberryMoses » #38118

This is looking cooler and cooler every time I look at it. I love the underground maint, and the shuttle bay also looks really great so far.
Remie Richards
Byond Username: CrimsonVision
Location: England, UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Known Universe

Post by Remie Richards » #38129

Steelpoint wrote: EDIT: Slightly improved design
Spoiler:
2-turf wide door...

2-TURF WIDE DOOR.

I'm not even sure if they work, but you're cool for using them.
私は完璧
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #38131

They do work.
Hey.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #38195

>3 shuttles
escape alone is now 90x harder
unless you make the 2 side shuttles like pods so that they dont count for escape alone
please do that
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38202

miggles wrote:>3 shuttles
escape alone is now 90x harder
unless you make the 2 side shuttles like pods so that they dont count for escape alone
please do that
I am going to make the side shuttles count as escape pods for objective purposes.
Violaceus wrote:Maintenance below deck sounds very neat but what would be its purpose if you can't connect wires and pipes and cant drag things between z-levels?

Also imagine that I drop a bomb on one of maintenance ladders. It explodes and what do I see? Space.
There will be small rooms on the station that hold APC's, these rooms are only accessible via maintenance. Also the same for the Solar Arrays.

I also don't know if you can destroy the teleportation square, I'll have to test but if it can't be blown up then you can still move between the two levels.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38219

Here's the escape/arrivals wing as it stands.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38249

Violaceus wrote:My point was that when you look in hole in main deck you see space, not space basement.
Maybe maintenance is above? Not that it matters anyway.

I see where you're coming from, but its a really minor problem in the grand scheme of things.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38251

Here's my first iteration of the old station arrivals. I want to see if this kind of station style is good or bad.
Spoiler:
I would appreciate feedback before I delve in further.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38277

I took my first shot at Cargo/Mining. Admittedly I've never played in Cargo so I don't have much to reference to in its design.
Spoiler:
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #38290

Where's the crate storage room?
Hey.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38307

Nienhaus wrote:Where's the crate storage room?
Cripe, I'll add one.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #38339

Mining doesn't need a ton of room, where's the QM's office, the bay should be bigger, Maintenance access somewhere in that also. Please tell me you're adding more than just a couple maint access locations as well. What's that area behind the Sec outpost?
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #38350

Violaceus wrote:>cargo bay is too big on boxstation
>now every station must have big cargo
It's literally that size on Meta too, and in Meta I've managed to line it with crates all the way from the conveyor to the far wall.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38386

My cargo is shit, I know. I'm doing a new design. I'm going to avoid being symmetrical on the old station.

If you think something I've done is bad, tell me its shit. I can't improve otherwise.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #38390

New design. Missing one or two rooms though.
Spoiler:
StrawberryMoses

Post by StrawberryMoses » #38513

That looks really good, I'm liking that there's no door in between the office and the bay.
A few suggestions: A longer conveyor belt to feed into the shuttle, a little more belt for the mail room, and maybe a nice window into space for the QM office?

Love the work you've been doing so far.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #38524

I think cargo office and cargo bay have to be divided somehow. I would suggest closing the side gaps on the bay diver wall with walls and adding separate dual airlocks either on the sides or the middle of the wall. Then you can lengthen the crate placement columns by one and have two columns instead of four to save space.

Also you can move mining down and place the QM's office above it.
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #38870

I like the style of it, and it would be really interesting. The Security layout is cool in particular, and I really like the fact that this map isn't just a re-arranged Box. We really need to break out of our current mapping dynamic for, uh, I dunno, something else IMO.
RIP
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183502

Its been about two years but I'm interested in trying this out again.

I'll be starting from scratch, but it'll be a good opportunity to try and do a proper maintenance instead of my wierd underground maintenance idea.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183515

Here's a quick image of how up to date I am.

I'm mostly recreating what I had but I'm made a few minor improvements, as well as that I'm marking area's I'll expand to place maintenance down later on.

My main goal is to at least get a basic map layout for the east "crummy" station.

This'll be a long project and if I do post a update it'll likely be after I've finished the east side.

Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #183520

An interesting layout choice.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183718

First design overview of the bridge, far from finished but it shows some of the minimum items needed for the bridge.

North defense might be overkill but its meant to discourage a push from space in the north.
Spoiler:
Edit

Also progress on medbay
Spoiler:
I've also gotten a general layout for the old station part of the station. It's got a more rigid, box like, structure currently.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183725

Progress on medbay.
Spoiler:
I'll be moving to furnish RnD now.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183733

Finished a one over of RD's Office, Sec Checkpoint and Robotics. (Yes the tables block the recharging station)
Spoiler:
Edit

Set up the entrance, toxins storage and server room with bonus HoP office.
Spoiler:
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #183773

Final RnD update.
Spoiler:
First Security run over, half way through.

I'm going with a more metastation inspired armoury, I may push back the perma wing to expand the Warden's Office and the Armoury.
Spoiler:
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #183807

>windows only corner touching on the bridge and just hanging there
This looks awful and nobody likes it, there's a reason nobody maps walls or windows only touching by a corner ever.
>Captain's office has a single pocket JUST for his display case gun
This looks awful. It's shoved in a little pocket for god knows why, that sticks out like a little tumor. It may hold his gun, but it's also a display case and nobody puts display cases surrounded by walls on three sides. If you argue that you want to keep it symmetrical with the teleporter room across the way, that room has an empty nothingness next to the computer on the bottom which also looks bad, there's a reason nobody does that in mapping either.

Bad map so far, imo
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #183831

This map seems cool as hell but I only have two things to bring up

1. Maintenance is on the centcomm z-level? That Z has weird rules I think, like no teleporting or using magic on it. Might fuck with stuff if maintenance is there.

2. Engineering should be on the left side so the station is divided into 'useful and rational departments on the left' and 'insane peasants squabbling in poverty' on the right'