The Gateway Room

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

The Gateway Room

Postby Nabski » Tue May 22, 2018 3:21 pm #412242

Do we still need the gateway? I know it's used every now and then for events, but it's otherwise been disabled for as long as I've been here (2 years).

I feel like this is a nice central space on almost all the maps, and could be re-purposed to something else. Right now I'm thinking something tied into the techweb/research system that is open for everyone but I want to make sure this move wouldn't bone downstream servers or something.

Shezza

Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: The Gateway Room

Postby Shezza » Tue May 22, 2018 4:21 pm #412251

Replace it with vr room

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:13 pm #412260

VR better gateway every way.

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

Ayy Lemoh

Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Tue May 22, 2018 7:23 pm #412280

If we remove the gateway completely then either I have to make it again, which I know how to but it's annoying, or I have to be autistic and use a ladder.

VR is not the better gateway if it's an admin event or a special away mission let alone the fact how shitty VR is if someone decides to fuck with the people in VR, which is an intended feature, however it isn't fun if it happens during an admin event.

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Postby Dax Dupont » Tue May 22, 2018 7:41 pm #412283

Ayy Lemoh wrote:If we remove the gateway completely then either I have to make it again, which I know how to but it's annoying, or I have to be autistic and use a ladder.

VR is not the better gateway if it's an admin event or a special away mission let alone the fact how shitty VR is if someone decides to fuck with the people in VR, which is an intended feature, however it isn't fun if it happens during an admin event.

It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.

That said, the gateway has its uses and it's a relic that should stay.

Also swarmers use the gateway as the spawnpoint area.

Ayy Lemoh

Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Postby Ayy Lemoh » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm #412284

Dax Dupont wrote:It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.

What prevents me from pulling a grand theft auto on the VR sleeper, hijacking the avatar, and suiciding as the avatar OR IF THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE then just straight up deleting their avatar which you can do.

Maybe you already made those sleepers safe against that, but I don't really know yet.

Deitus

Byond Username: Deitus

Postby Deitus » Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 pm #412299

#BringBackAwayMissions2k18

somerandomguy

Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Postby somerandomguy » Tue May 22, 2018 10:18 pm #412314

Deitus wrote:#BringBackAwayMissions2k18

We did but it was re-removed

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Wed May 23, 2018 12:37 am #412342

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.

What prevents me from pulling a grand theft auto on the VR sleeper, hijacking the avatar, and suiciding as the avatar OR IF THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE then just straight up deleting their avatar which you can do.

Maybe you already made those sleepers safe against that, but I don't really know yet.

I don't have ultra grief protection no, I can build it in though!
Edit: Made it so only the current user can open it if there's an occupant. Thus nobody can delete the avatar or hijack it in the hugbox version.

kevinz000
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Postby kevinz000 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:14 am #412401

keep it

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Okand37

Postby Okand37 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 pm #412446

Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?

MMMiracles

Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Postby MMMiracles » Wed May 23, 2018 4:48 pm #412450

Okand37 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.

It should be up to the downstreams to adjust if they're using the gateway for away missions, not something for upstream to deal with considering it's more or less completely unused past for a single random event (swarmers) or admin events.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.

Okand37
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Okand37

Postby Okand37 » Wed May 23, 2018 4:49 pm #412452

MMMiracles wrote:
Okand37 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.

It should be up to the downstreams to adjust if they're using the gateway for away missions, not something for upstream to deal with considering it's more or less completely unused past for a single random event (swarmers) or admin events.

If its not hurting anything though, what's the point in removing their convenience just for another empty room?

I think it'd be better just to move it into maintenance if your desire is to replace it with something else if the need to remove it is strongly felt.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?

Shadowflame909

Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here
Byond Username: Shadowflame909

Postby Shadowflame909 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:08 am #412571

Dax Dupont wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:snip

snip

Edit: Made it so only the current user can open it if there's an occupant. Thus nobody can delete the avatar or hijack it in the hugbox version.

Rip. Swapping avatars with someone and having them fight a clone of themselves was fun. ah well. Good meme memories at least.

Spoiler:

ThanatosRa wrote:My biggest problem is that I can't fix any of this.

Boris wrote:shadowflame either has a brain the size of a pea or one the size of the moon and he's playing 58D chess.

BeeSting12 wrote:please write an apology to this forums, this community, the host, and the internet as a whole for the data storage space you wasted with this complaint.

BebeYoshi wrote:Saltyflame909

Cobby wrote:The trash bin... have you lost your way home anon?

Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Postby Dax Dupont » Thu May 24, 2018 9:57 am #412632

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:snip

snip

Rip. Swapping avatars with someone and having them fight a clone of themselves was fun. ah well. Good meme memories at least.

This only applies to the admin spawn hug box variant.

Dr. Chef

Byond Username: DrChef

Postby Dr. Chef » Sun May 27, 2018 1:50 pm #413351

Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Sun May 27, 2018 2:54 pm #413372

Dr. Chef wrote:Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.

a new roundstart job that needs an endgame R&D/cargo item to do anything?

sure why not

Dr. Chef

Postby Dr. Chef » Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm #413378

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Dr. Chef wrote:Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.

a new roundstart job that needs an endgame R&D/cargo item to do anything?

sure why not

I was throwing out random ideas. Why not a roundstart job where people are part of a away team that go on adventures, or make it something R&D can build or cargo can buy.

pubby
Github User

Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Postby pubby » Sun May 27, 2018 8:56 pm #413400

it's called mining, friend

JStheguy

Byond Username: JStheguy

Postby JStheguy » Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 am #413799

Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.

Dr. Chef

Postby Dr. Chef » Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 am #414181

JStheguy wrote:Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.

I like that idea, we could make the mining z level work like the station map and it could change every so many rounds, so one round could have a lava planet and another round there could be a snow mining area with unique fauna. We already have jungle mega fauna, so we could just make a jungle map, but this should belong in its own thread.

Armhulen
In-Game Game Master

Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: it's a long story

Postby Armhulen » Thu May 31, 2018 12:25 am #414182

Dr. Chef wrote:
JStheguy wrote:Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.

I like that idea, we could make the mining z level work like the station map and it could change every so many rounds, so one round could have a lava planet and another round there could be a snow mining area with unique fauna. We already have jungle mega fauna, so we could just make a jungle map, but this should belong in its own thread.

i had a tiny bit of this coded but didn't have the sprites for snow mobs or megafauna.
Go to bed bro, she's not thinking about you.

Dr. Chef

Postby Dr. Chef » Thu May 31, 2018 12:35 am #414188

Armhulen wrote:
Dr. Chef wrote:

i had a tiny bit of this coded but didn't have the sprites for snow mobs or megafauna.

I made a separate thread for discussing mining map ideas. This would be a massive project if coders/mappers decide to take on such a project, but I think it is a nice idea myself.

cocothegogo

Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Postby cocothegogo » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:15 pm #415113

we have gateway disabled because of community issues

just because we dont use it doesnt mean people who use tg code do not
CJ AJ

Not-Dorsidarf
In-Game Admin

Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Postby Not-Dorsidarf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:17 pm #415682

cocothegogo wrote:we have gateway disabled because of community issues

just because we dont use it doesnt mean people who use tg code do not

yeah but downstreams usually run their own modified maps anyway

Taylork2

Byond Username: Taylork2

Postby Taylork2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm #510766

Someone could always make a z-level for the necropolis.

datorangebottle

Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Postby datorangebottle » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:37 pm #511112

bruh, this thread is over a year old.

Nabski

Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Postby Nabski » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:18 pm #511130

Plus the gateways operational again, so it doesn't even make sense.

At the time I was trying to make dynamic map loading based off the station goal. It mostly worked but then my branch got stale and I fucked up git things so I quit working on it.

Return to Spriting and Mapping