The Gateway Room

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

The Gateway Room

Post by Nabski » #412242

Do we still need the gateway? I know it's used every now and then for events, but it's otherwise been disabled for as long as I've been here (2 years).

I feel like this is a nice central space on almost all the maps, and could be re-purposed to something else. Right now I'm thinking something tied into the techweb/research system that is open for everyone but I want to make sure this move wouldn't bone downstream servers or something.
Shezza
Byond Username: Wilchen

Re: The Gateway Room

Post by Shezza » #412251

Replace it with vr room
Thanks for all the dopamine.

You (cough), you haven't won here. You and your mutie-bastard friends are gonna join me in a big ol' mushroom cloud sendoff. I just triggered the self-destruct. (Heh, heh; cough, cough,...) The work will go on. You didn't do nothing here, 'cept seal your own death warrants. Duty, (cough) honor... courage... Semper Fiiiii........
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #412260

VR better gateway every way.
► Show Spoiler
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #412280

If we remove the gateway completely then either I have to make it again, which I know how to but it's annoying, or I have to be autistic and use a ladder.

VR is not the better gateway if it's an admin event or a special away mission let alone the fact how shitty VR is if someone decides to fuck with the people in VR, which is an intended feature, however it isn't fun if it happens during an admin event.
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: DaxYeen
Github Username: DaxDupont

Post by Dax Dupont » #412283

Ayy Lemoh wrote:If we remove the gateway completely then either I have to make it again, which I know how to but it's annoying, or I have to be autistic and use a ladder.

VR is not the better gateway if it's an admin event or a special away mission let alone the fact how shitty VR is if someone decides to fuck with the people in VR, which is an intended feature, however it isn't fun if it happens during an admin event.
It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.

That said, the gateway has its uses and it's a relic that should stay.

Also swarmers use the gateway as the spawnpoint area.
Ayy Lemoh
Byond Username: Jerry Derpington

Post by Ayy Lemoh » #412284

Dax Dupont wrote:It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.
What prevents me from pulling a grand theft auto on the VR sleeper, hijacking the avatar, and suiciding as the avatar OR IF THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE then just straight up deleting their avatar which you can do.

Maybe you already made those sleepers safe against that, but I don't really know yet.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #412299

#BringBackAwayMissions2k18
somerandomguy
Byond Username: Astatineguy12

Post by somerandomguy » #412314

Deitus wrote:#BringBackAwayMissions2k18
We did but it was re-removed
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #412342

Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:It's almost as if there's a hugbox version already in the code that prevents emagging and deconstruction, especially for admin events. Literally one of the first things I added.
What prevents me from pulling a grand theft auto on the VR sleeper, hijacking the avatar, and suiciding as the avatar OR IF THAT ISN'T POSSIBLE then just straight up deleting their avatar which you can do.

Maybe you already made those sleepers safe against that, but I don't really know yet.
I don't have ultra grief protection no, I can build it in though!
Edit: Made it so only the current user can open it if there's an occupant. Thus nobody can delete the avatar or hijack it in the hugbox version.
kevinz000
Byond Username: Kevinz000
Github Username: kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 » #412401

keep it
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #412446

Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #412450

Okand37 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.
It should be up to the downstreams to adjust if they're using the gateway for away missions, not something for upstream to deal with considering it's more or less completely unused past for a single random event (swarmers) or admin events.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #412452

MMMiracles wrote:
Okand37 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the gateway is still used by downstream servers who can active it in their config options.
It should be up to the downstreams to adjust if they're using the gateway for away missions, not something for upstream to deal with considering it's more or less completely unused past for a single random event (swarmers) or admin events.
If its not hurting anything though, what's the point in removing their convenience just for another empty room?

I think it'd be better just to move it into maintenance if your desire is to replace it with something else if the need to remove it is strongly felt.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #412571

Dax Dupont wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:snip
snip

Edit: Made it so only the current user can open it if there's an occupant. Thus nobody can delete the avatar or hijack it in the hugbox version.
Rip. Swapping avatars with someone and having them fight a clone of themselves was fun. ah well. Good meme memories at least.
► Show Spoiler
Dax Dupont
In-Game Admin

Post by Dax Dupont » #412632

Shadowflame909 wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:
Ayy Lemoh wrote:
Dax Dupont wrote:snip
snip

Rip. Swapping avatars with someone and having them fight a clone of themselves was fun. ah well. Good meme memories at least.
This only applies to the admin spawn hug box variant.
Dr. Chef
Byond Username: DrChef

Post by Dr. Chef » #413351

Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #413372

Dr. Chef wrote:Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.
a new roundstart job that needs an endgame R&D/cargo item to do anything?

sure why not
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #413378

Not-Dorsidarf wrote:
Dr. Chef wrote:Why not change the gateway into something like the long range portal in Goonstation or modified make a modified version of telescience from Goonstation? You could even have a new round start job called the away team, where they go on away missions, look for rare root, and kick syndicate butt. If you want to keep the away portal then make it something you have to build from R&D or buy from Cargobay, but it should be the most expensive item you can buy.
a new roundstart job that needs an endgame R&D/cargo item to do anything?

sure why not
I was throwing out random ideas. Why not a roundstart job where people are part of a away team that go on adventures, or make it something R&D can build or cargo can buy.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #413400

it's called mining, friend
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #413799

Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #414181

JStheguy wrote:Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.
I like that idea, we could make the mining z level work like the station map and it could change every so many rounds, so one round could have a lava planet and another round there could be a snow mining area with unique fauna. We already have jungle mega fauna, so we could just make a jungle map, but this should belong in its own thread.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #414182

Dr. Chef wrote:
JStheguy wrote:Yeah, if we want to go the "fuck off to strange new lands and explore shit" route we might as well just have multiple mining maps and not have to load an extra Z-level.
I like that idea, we could make the mining z level work like the station map and it could change every so many rounds, so one round could have a lava planet and another round there could be a snow mining area with unique fauna. We already have jungle mega fauna, so we could just make a jungle map, but this should belong in its own thread.
i had a tiny bit of this coded but didn't have the sprites for snow mobs or megafauna.
Dr. Chef

Post by Dr. Chef » #414188

Armhulen wrote:
Dr. Chef wrote:
i had a tiny bit of this coded but didn't have the sprites for snow mobs or megafauna.
I made a separate thread for discussing mining map ideas. This would be a massive project if coders/mappers decide to take on such a project, but I think it is a nice idea myself.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #415113

we have gateway disabled because of community issues

just because we dont use it doesnt mean people who use tg code do not
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #415682

cocothegogo wrote:we have gateway disabled because of community issues

just because we dont use it doesnt mean people who use tg code do not
yeah but downstreams usually run their own modified maps anyway
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Taylork2
Byond Username: Taylork2

Post by Taylork2 » #510766

Someone could always make a z-level for the necropolis.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #511112

bruh, this thread is over a year old.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
Nabski
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Post by Nabski » #511130

Plus the gateways operational again, so it doesn't even make sense.

At the time I was trying to make dynamic map loading based off the station goal. It mostly worked but then my branch got stale and I fucked up git things so I quit working on it.