Readme: Asset Licensing

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Wild Bill

Readme: Asset Licensing

Post by Wild Bill » #41470

This might not be the most exhilarating part of art, but I'd like to point out that when you guys publish sprites/maps/etc here, it'd be nice to publish them with a license.
This can be as simple as including a textfile as an attachment to your post, or just copy-pasting the license text, or even including a pic like this:
Otherwise, projects that try to respect rights and licensing can't really use them comfortably, especially when you're not around to say "Yeah, i gave permission."

I'd suggest CC-0, since the Creative Commons licenses are pretty much universal for art and music, and the other CC licenses impose a variety of restrictions on how the work can be used.
It's the art equivalent of the permissive free-and-open-source licenses like MIT and freeBSD.

Mod Note
Global Forum Rules have been updated for clarity of this matter. Send a PM to Forum Admins if you have any concerns about this.
Global Forum Rules wrote:Asset Licensing
Unless otherwise stated, it will be assumed any user-made assets (i.e. maps, sprites) posted here has an implicit license of Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. If you want your assets to be licensed differently then you must attach a license to your post;
Creative Common's website lists their attributed licenses and public domain licenses. See their License Chooser if you're not sure what to pick.
Last edited by Jordie0608 on Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: licensing information
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Re: Asset Licensing

Post by Jordie0608 » #41493

I would presume that given the open source and easily accessible nature of the code project and commonality for people to attach links to a dmi for their creations that anything posted onto these forums has an implied license of Public Domain or in the very least CC BY-SA.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Cham

Post by Cham » #41495

Pretty much anything I post is entirely usable without my permission. I love a good shout out or credit, but that's just me being fickle.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #43025

if I recall correctly the icons in tg are assumed to be licensed under cc-by-sa but we haven't really been active in keeping attributions up to date.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #43036

I remember a guide to coding that said: As soon as your code or icons are merged, they no longer belong to you, and can be used/modified by anyone else.

I'm probably remembering incorrectly, but it was definitely something very explicit like that to avoid confusion. You guys can take anything you want, though it's not going to make me or other coders not laugh behind your back when people like the paradise station devs rip content from better servers to fund their donation-supported containment server without at least crediting us. That shit peeves me off, even if I haven't been so good at crediting in the past myself (mostly because the stuff i port is pretty old)
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #43104

The point here is only regarding content which users post onto these forums, the codebase is already licensed as cc-by-sa and thus any contribution to it uses the same license. There is however ambiguity as to what license should be used if one is not specified by the creator and whether we're correct in assuming an implicit cc-by-sa or Public Domain license exists.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #43215

Oh, I misread, I thought he was referring to the codebase.

Well, he could always PM the people on the forums who published the sprites. There's not many spriters I know if that wouldn't be happy giving any of their content away to be used in whatever capacity by people. I mean, I figured that's why they're being posted here in the first place.

Maybe make a 'spriters: please read' sticky that states "Unless otherwise stated, content here is assumed to be public domain.." etc so spriters who want their content to remain their content can put a notice in their thread about how they'd like you to ask first, credit them, etc.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #43307

I'm working on a website for sprite hosting, so I'll make sure to include explicity licensing information there as well.
Jordie0608
Site Admin

Re: Readme: Asset Licensing

Post by Jordie0608 » #43401

The OP and global forum rules have been updated.
Forum Admin
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #348114

oddly enough op is old enough to have literally nothing other than his fourm name

who was op?

( a whopping three years ago shit man )
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Jordie0608
Site Admin

Post by Jordie0608 » #348324

Just a guy; it doesn't matter.
Forum Admin