Zeta Station - Official Thread

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
John_Gobbel
Byond Username: CAPTTLasky

Zeta Station - Official Thread

Post by John_Gobbel » #509372

*UPDATE*

Zeta Station is officially ded given that it's so big and probably isn't practical to test multi-z, but I have other things in the works and may revamp the map in the future. Feel free to use any design implements you see here in other maps, I know some inspired additions have already been made to meta based off this, so that's great! : )

As you know, I'm in the process of making a station with the current features:

-Multi-z Functionality: Adds a lot of extra avenues for engagement, crew and antags alike. Bomb the supermatter from the ceiling or just push cripples over railings and into disposals. Makes isolated departments not so impenetrable

-Centralized Common Area: It's not a square, 'nuff said. But seriously though, it should give different roles more of the spotlight and force the crew to go through there if they want to take the optimal path to another department

-Isolated Departments: Adds a lot more interesting tactics behind defending/engaging a department. People will have to think more tactically if they intend to invade a department and it will be harder for antags/sec to control situations.

-Disposal Chute Transportation: Helps assuage the isolated nature of departments and allows for great sabotage points on the station (I would use transit tubes if they weren't crap)

-Many other small differences from Meta

Why am I making this map?

-I feel like Meta is stale and on highpop it can get very crowded.
-I'd like to offer up a map which mixes up the standard meta for the game and allows for different methods of engagement
-I want to make a map that incorporates multi-z so we can finish the development of that side of things and encourage more people to design multi-z maps (Come back, stairs, my love q.q)

What is my To-Do List?

[x] Create a 1x1 pixel ratio map of the station to use as a base for the design
[x] Get feedback on the layout of the map from those interested
[-] Design the departments based on feedback from people who main in that department
[ ] Add in the boring stuff like distro, disposals, APCs, Intercoms, Air Alarms, Areas, etc.
[ ] Get the map in a play testable version and submit to players to look at
[ ] Round two of feedback
[ ] Edit in whatever changes to make sure the map works well and accomplishes what the players want (except powercreep)
[ ] Testmergies
[ ] Continue maintenance on the map as time goes on

F.A.Q.
-Does atmos/disposals/power work in multi z?

Yes, there is a PR that should go through any day now if it hasn't already.

-Will Multi-z explosions be a thing?

Yes, but not until later and only if Oranges wants it / we get better flooring for the second level

-How do you move between z levels currently?

The way you do it inside of the station is through ladders. (Currently, stairs are not implemented). In space, you'll have an option in the IC tab to move up/down the z-level if you are A. Next to a wall B. Have a jetpack on or C. You are a ghost. If the gravity is on, you will not be able to move z levels if you are standing on a tile affected by gravity. If you try to move between z levels when you cannot or when there is no z-level above/below, a message will pop up telling you so.

-How the h*ck do I inflitrate x department if it's isolated like this?

Plenty of ways to get in/out through maintenance, space, and of course the traditional means. Good luck explaining why you're in a department if you get caught! ; )

-Can I have x powergamey thing be added to the map like roundstart cakehat, armory contraband loot, or anything else that isn't a quality of life improvement / makes the department not so obnoxious?

No. If any powergamey stuff exists, it's to add soul to the map or for me to add weaknesses elsewhere.

-Can x department be designed in a way that's more like MetaStation?

No.

-Can I tip you for working on this map?

God yes I'm broke, and money could help me finish this sooner.

Can I just complain about how much I love Meta and how development on any other map is a waste of time?

Yes. I will laugh at you.

What I'd like from the playerbase

Feedback on what I already have
Feedback on what you'd like to see
Feedback on how to give the map as much SOUL as possible
Volunteers for who would like to design departments with me and who will not try to powercreep the department (Remember that if someone else worse than you volunteer's first, it means your department will take longer to make better. Sign up quickly).
Last edited by John_Gobbel on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
John_Gobbel

Re: Zeta Station - Official Thread

Post by John_Gobbel » #509373

Map Files/Visuals

Map Files

Zeta Station Level 1: Updated 08/22/2019
ZetaStation.rar
(18.33 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
Zeta Station Level 2: Updated 08/22/2019
ZetaStationLvl2.rar
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

Visuals

Aseprite 1x1 Pixel Diagram Level 1: Updated 08/22/2019
ZetaStation Level 1 Version 1.3.JPG
Aseprite 1x1 Pixel Diagram Level 2: Updated 08/22/2019
Zeta Station Level 2 Version 1.3.JPG
Aseprite 1x1 Pixel Diagram with Labeled Rooms:

Will be adding shortly

Map Renders:

Zeta Station Level 1 Map Render: Updated 08/22/2019
ZetaStation Update1 Full.JPG
Zeta Station Level 2 Map Render: Updated 08/22/2019
ZetaStation Level 2 Render 1.JPG
Zeta Station Sec: Updated 08/30/2019
ZetaStation Update 1 Sec.JPG
Zeta Station Medbay: Updated 08/30/2019
ZetaStation Update 1 Medbay.JPG
Last edited by John_Gobbel on Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John_Gobbel

Post by John_Gobbel » #509374

Reserving this spot as a change log.
Chynya
Byond Username: GhostAvenger

Post by Chynya » #509634

Unsure if I can post here, but it seems like the individual departments are just far too apart. The idea is really good, I absolutely love the Multi-Z level station idea, but overall, I think the station is just too biggo.
Another thing is the layout seems a little complicated as well. Too many small side path.
I would have to see more detailed map and scale to make a judgement, but that is just my thoughts about it right now.
TG
Killian Kye

TGMC
Synth: Seraph
Beno: The Monarch
TGMC Pleb: Krieg Fauser
TGMC Command: Major Jameson Kane
John_Gobbel

Post by John_Gobbel » #509635

Anyone is allowed to post here. You can take the dmm files and run your own version of the server to check out the map size. Unfortunately not everything is done yet so you won't be able to see everything, but it'll give you a good idea. I've found it to be actually pretty cozy if you consider 60-70+ people are going to be playing on it.

My hope is that people will take a lot longer to get acclimated to this map than meta, which seems weird to say, but I think it will help in the long run. I know every nook and cranny of meta and have since playing for two months in, so having something larger and crazier should be interesting for security and others to handle.
Skillywatt
Byond Username: Tiguar

Post by Skillywatt » #509784

Just posting to say I love your idea for a station and completely agree with your assessment of Meta. I'll probably download your work and run around on it at some point.
knacker48
Byond Username: Knacker48

Post by knacker48 » #510129

How will multiple z levels work with space? Is there level of space of each z level? Or if you go out of the window of the higher z level do you drop down into the lower level in space? If the latter is true it would be weird that you couldn't go to a higher level if your in space with a jet pack since... well its space.
John_Gobbel

Post by John_Gobbel » #510196

I'll answer this in the FAQ but basically if you are next to a wall you will have a button in the IC tab to move up/down. If there is no z level above/below you then you will not move up/down and it'll give you a message saying as much. If you have a jetpack you will be able to move between the two z levels freely in space unless the tile you are on is affected by gravity. If there is gravity and you walk out into space, you will not fall to the lower z-level unless that area of space is affected by gravity (it generally is not)
John_Gobbel

Post by John_Gobbel » #511631

Quick Update for everyone:

I've worked on the overall item/object layout for two departments (barring some of the small stuff that I'll get to). "Renders" are updated on the main post.

Medbay and Sec are officially ready for the next step! Let me know what you think about their design up above.

Also on the main render I've added some draft designs for the arrivals, departures, and whiteship shuttles respectively.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #511663

In General
I know its the intentional design of the map, but I really do question the wisdom of an isolated medbay. I really like the idea of a commons place that most people will need to go through, that'll lead to interesting interactions.

One thing that I've seen mappers do (namely for space ruins) that is really cool, and adds "soul" to a map, is leave mysteries throughout maintenance. References to past stations, events, etc. Remains of dead traitors, random notes that can be found scattered about that have a loose plot to them. Nothing serious, just small things to add to paranoia and immersion.

Security
The brig looks pretty spread out. While its not necessarily a bad thing, it'll be pretty tough as warden to keep an eye on brig due to how distant the danger points are (perma and armory).

Also keeping det office out of brig is always a good decision.

Maint
Those double walls in maint to the right of medical storage is pretty ugly, and I don't ever really see that on ever maps. You could probably remove the northern most to free up more space in maint.

On the same topic, grilles blocking passage in maint are not fun and have no place on a map. From a logic standpoint they don't make sense either, if its a place you want less traffic in use barricades (don't overuse those either) or don't put any obstacle there at all. This includes the girders. If departments are already spread out, don't make traveling in maint a nightmare too.

Closed off areas of maint aren't very cool. I'm not saying we should have one continuous passage through maint, but having a seemingly individual maint section for each department just isn't fun.
John_Gobbel

Post by John_Gobbel » #511676

wesoda25 wrote:In General
I know its the intentional design of the map, but I really do question the wisdom of an isolated medbay.
Others have suggested small medical outposts in maintenance so that doctors can respond to calls. Perhaps this will allow for the introduction of mobile stasis beds! I intend for a lot of this map to spur PRs from people enhancing it in ways we wouldn't normally think.
wesoda25 wrote: One thing that I've seen mappers do (namely for space ruins) that is really cool, and adds "soul" to a map, is leave mysteries throughout maintenance. References to past stations, events, etc. Remains of dead traitors, random notes that can be found scattered about that have a loose plot to them. Nothing serious, just small things to add to paranoia and immersion.
I will think about this. I'm already trying to tell small stories with the map, but I like the idea of having some lore stuff I can contribute to as well.
wesoda25 wrote: Security
The brig looks pretty spread out. While its not necessarily a bad thing, it'll be pretty tough as warden to keep an eye on brig due to how distant the danger points are (perma and armory).
Not pictured in the render is the advanced camera console I gave the warden... (I intend for someone to code in a middle ground eventually). Sec will definitely have a harder time defending the eastern side of the brig if they are not on top of their patrols! I heavily anticipate wardens moving the lockers to another spot in the brig and overcrowding an area to do so. Also notice the convenient disposal available to assistants with tools willing to brave the long hallway from maint to sec!
wesoda25 wrote: Maint
Those double walls in maint to the right of medical storage is pretty ugly, and I don't ever really see that on ever maps. You could probably remove the northern most to free up more space in maint.

On the same topic, grilles blocking passage in maint are not fun and have no place on a map. From a logic standpoint they don't make sense either, if its a place you want less traffic in use barricades (don't overuse those either) or don't put any obstacle there at all. This includes the girders. If departments are already spread out, don't make traveling in maint a nightmare too.
I will fix these. I would like barricades in strategic spots (Like the external morgue maint access) but will limit their use.
wesoda25 wrote: Closed off areas of maint aren't very cool. I'm not saying we should have one continuous passage through maint, but having a seemingly individual maint section for each department just isn't fun.
Elaborate on this for me please. Do you mean how each department has maint above it? I'm trying to design the maint so that you can still get to most ladders down if you do not have access to things otherwise. I want there to be auxilliary rooms designed for a department to use in the second level, though.
confused rock
Byond Username: The unloved rock

Post by confused rock » #512769

dang, beat me to it. I gotta get started on my map already. gonna use transit tubes on mine specifically BECAUSE they suck. I think grilles are nice for maint though for several reasons. one is that you generally need to turn on your light to see em and they make navigating through blind stumbling harder.