Underground Outpost 45

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Underground Outpost 45

Post by WJohnston » #56296

So I've been working on an away mission for the past couple of months (with the vast majority spent waiting for bug fixes), and now that everything important works as it needs to I present to you:

Underground Outpost 45

This away mission is about an abandoned nanotrasen-owned outpost built into a cave, which is also a gas pocket. Its primary purpose was leisure with its large amount of windows, large hydro bay and bar, and multiple dorm rooms. It also included a small research arm (because how else would you get back) and an elevator to the surface (which does not lead anywhere currently).

The base is fully functional and possible to take control of fairly easily, although different access requirements there mean nothing you bring from the station short of a cyborg or AI can easily open the doors to some of the more restricted areas. If nothing else, it offers a small atmospherics area that you can tinker with (and flood the outpost with deadly gasses), a mining operation that lets you bring minerals back to the station (or continue powering the outpost), and an R&D lab totally separate from the station's network (syncing either will not affect eachother, though tech disks can be brought over).

Here is a SPOILER INTENSIVE in-game image of the map, with lighting making it look very moody. Note that the items appearing above certain lockers have since been fixed (carn rewrite had something to do with it).
Apparently I was an director or something.
MedicInDisquise

Re: Underground Outpost 45

Post by MedicInDisquise » #56300

..You know, if you trimmed some of the stuff off such as the big bar and the entire upper area, this would be a very good combined research/mining station back on mining z-level.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #56361

Oh and, I forgot to mention this but this away mission was just merged and we should be able to play it pretty much as soon as the server updates.
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #56365

All my yes for this. PLEASE.
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #56582

Here we go, some feedback for ye.

This away mission is pretty great, with some expansion it could actually be another map. Station surrounded by plasma inside an asteroid, would be great if different levels were implemented.

But a few things seemed odd to me.

The equipment/doors in engineering require more than engineering access, as I couldn't get into any airlocks or lockers as a Station Engineer. I know they're supposed to have different access requirements, but I don't really like the idea of having to hack all the airlocks open. This might also be the case in the other departments, not sure yet.

The alien hive has no aliens or even alien corpses. Maybe some alien mobs at the least would be cool, eggs/facehuggers would be even better.
The space vines in the alien hive are too much, they spread too fast and fuck up the overall look of the hive. Not sure if someone planted those or the vines were part of the map, but eh.
If you aren't planning on a working elevator, at least put a sign on it saying it's out of order so people don't spend a lot of time trying to make it work.

Overall a fairly fun away mission.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #56620

UO45 isn't SS13, it doesn't recognize your access. You may be captain of SS13 but to UO45 you're just an assistant. There's lots of tools around outside of engineering to help you hack into places. I don't think it's even possible to make IDs with accesses, but I'll definitely try it out.

It's not actually an alien hive, it's a changeling nest where I just used whatever "alien" like objects I could. Apparently lings like to regurgitate goo on their surroundings for nests.

The vines were also something that randomly happened in that first round, blame the admins?

And a working elevator with a surface level may happen in the future.
Feretal
Byond Username: Feretal

Post by Feretal » #56649

Alright cool, lings murdering the past crew sounds better than aliums. I don't know if this is possible but you could put some ling specific body parts like armblades/shields/armor on the ground.

I like the idea of access not carrying over, but if you do figure out the IDs and leave some laying around maybe add an ID console?

I wish we had some more advanced fire suppression options, because the outpost is almost always lit on fire each round. Only things I can think of would be putting firelocks on the windows or adding some N2O canisters.
Coders, fire sprinklers pls
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #56655

We do have more advanced fire suppression techniques

It's called caving the griefing assistant's chest in with a baton :)
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #56732

No holodeck
And you want to call that a leisure station?
For shame.
Somejerk
Byond Username: Somejerk

Post by Somejerk » #57053

NikNakFlak wrote:No holodeck
And you want to call that a leisure station?
For shame.
ERP is encouraged on that duty station.
RocKeD
Byond Username: Rocked

Post by RocKeD » #87976

I really, really, REALLY like this side mission. I haven't played it yet, but it looks freakin awesome. Would -TG- ever consider adding this to the server?
Xhuis
Github User
Byond Username: Xhuis
Github Username: Xhuis

Post by Xhuis » #87982

RocKeD wrote:I really, really, REALLY like this side mission. I haven't played it yet, but it looks freakin awesome. Would -TG- ever consider adding this to the server?
It was on /tg/ for a while but eventually removed. I'm not sure why.
I'm an ex-coder for /tg/. I made the original versions of clockcult, shadowlings, revenants, His Grace, and other stuff.
I don't play, code, or participate in the community, but I occasionally post dumb stuff in the hut.
Kraso wrote:hi gay
wubli wrote:xhuis you said you were feeling better but every thread you make makes me worry more about your sanity
ExcessiveUseOfCobblestone wrote:Sorry I was making fun of xhuis' """""compromise""""" who insisted that was the correct term to use.
CitrusGender wrote:We've ended up disabling clockcult on sybil and bagil now (terry is having some problems.) We will give Xhuis some time until he wishes to work upon it again. As of now, please use this thread for ideas and not for bickering.
wubli wrote:you are a cultist of the gay
IkeTG wrote:It's a reflection of humanity, like all of man's creation. You cannot divorce this act from yourself, in a way there's a big titty moth inside all of us.
wesoda25 wrote:yeah no one was curious what it was from. Imagine choosing being a degenerate as your forum gimmick, LOL
RocKeD

Post by RocKeD » #88037

Xhuis wrote:
RocKeD wrote:I really, really, REALLY like this side mission. I haven't played it yet, but it looks freakin awesome. Would -TG- ever consider adding this to the server?
It was on /tg/ for a while but eventually removed. I'm not sure why.
What why? How could I have missed this. As far as I know there are no side missions on -TG- currently.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #88094

It wasn't "removed" so much as away missions are most often kept off due to that being their default state, and them usually having conflicts with the rest of the game if not updated.

I basically haven't been updating this to newer versions, so it's being kept off until that happens.
RocKeD

Post by RocKeD » #88262

WJohnston wrote:It wasn't "removed" so much as away missions are most often kept off due to that being their default state, and them usually having conflicts with the rest of the game if not updated.

I basically haven't been updating this to newer versions, so it's being kept off until that happens.
Ah I see, may I ask what kind of updating it would need and if you are going to update it in the future?
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #88344

Various things like lockers being redone, likely a lot of path updating, maybe a few consistency changes now that it's been a few months and the station has changed a bit too.

Most of the time it's just updating paths to whatever gets changed in the latest version of the code.