Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries

Moderators: MisterPerson, Code Maintainers

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:55 pm #535612

figured i'd post this for my own sake as a motivational kick in the pants, the old thread still exists but it may as well be useless at this point

tl;dr a while ago the idea of a budget station was tossed around, where departments start with worse versions of what they usually get on other maps. The idea was to encourage cooperative play and give people who struggle with making their own fun some more goals to work towards, and hopefully to create more interesting situations thanks to the relative scarcity of items/common crutches

The game has changed a fair bit since the original idea, though (they beat me to removing sleepers smh) - I lost motivation at the time because it seemed like something that only a handful of people would like, but the recent popularity of manuel and support of how the game there is played makes me think there's a legitimate audience for this sort of map again

I'll edit this more when I get home but some examples include

- cryo being replaced with showers + a wrench (a shower can be wrenched to make it hot or cold and lying under cold water is enough to make cryoxadone work, or at least it used to. would have to double check)
- botany doesn't get their nice trays, just piles of dirt
- minor stuff like spread out lights, messy areas, space to build, etc.

The main problems right now are

- I need to actually sit my stupid ass down and start again because the previous revision was so old it used the old wiring and stuff
- I need people who are well versed in departments I don't play (eg. science) to give me advice on what should and should not be included
- I need to find the sweetspot between "another usual station layout" and "absolute slog where it's impossible to do anything and the game sucks"

Spoiler:
If I'm being honest, I don't actually expect the map to get merged and even if it does I'm not sure what the response would be, especially on the non manuel servers - it's just a fun pet project of mine that I have a bit more motivation to work on these days + people have always been vocally supportive of the idea on the forums/in discord
Limey wrote:its too late.



User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Nabski » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:33 pm #535619

I am still willing to do the wiring and disposals for you when it gets to that point.

User avatar
RaveRadbury
In-Game Admin
 
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:41 am
Byond Username: RaveRadbury
Github Username: RaveRadbury

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby RaveRadbury » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:11 pm #535628

If you get it out before cloning evaporates you could have no roundstart cloner.
How's my administrating? Call 1-800-RADBURY
Image
Heart Emoji ~ Winter Ball Queen 2019

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:41 pm #535630

Nabski wrote:I am still willing to do the wiring and disposals for you when it gets to that point.


I'm less worried about this than I am the department specifics, though I will say >disposals

Arm said something about making trash cans use garbage bags and I like that

RaveRadbury wrote:If you get it out before cloning evaporates you could have no roundstart cloner.


I'm unsure if I want to tangle myself up in that debate but the original plan did have the cloner in question
Limey wrote:its too late.

Kryson
 
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 pm
Byond Username: Kryson

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Kryson » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:42 pm #535639

I would actually love this. I hate resource bloat.

Replace box with this map if you have to,

User avatar
wesoda25
 
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:32 pm
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby wesoda25 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:10 am #535648

ok so do what he said but without the box removal part
9357

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:18 am #535652

Kryson wrote:Replace box with this map if you have to,


i legitimately would rather die

begone, new players who think box is bad

that aside glad you like the idea, hopefully I'll sit down and start working soon
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Nabski » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:59 am #535684

Qbopper wrote:
Nabski wrote:I am still willing to do the wiring and disposals for you when it gets to that point.


I'm less worried about this than I am the department specifics, though I will say >disposals

Arm said something about making trash cans use garbage bags and I like that

RaveRadbury wrote:If you get it out before cloning evaporates you could have no roundstart cloner.


I'm unsure if I want to tangle myself up in that debate but the original plan did have the cloner in question


One of Okand's maps already did the trash can plan.

What departments do you not play and need info on?

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm #535841

Nabski wrote:One of Okand's maps already did the trash can plan.


sure, but it fits with the theme still - why would a station that can't even afford a cryotube off the bat waste time putting piping for disposals? (if you say "because they ran out of money after putting in the piping and wiring" i will plug my ears and hum until you go away)

Nabski wrote:What departments do you not play and need info on?


my thoughts on every department in no particular order:

  • science is a department i've never followed closely and thus have no idea where to start when it comes to stripping it down
  • medbay has changed a lot but I'm not worried about that too much, the move from sleepers and easy healing towards a more surgery focus already fits the theme pretty well
  • I don't know a ton about the security changes post stun rework, but that's more of a loadout issue than the department layout afaik
  • I have never played atmos
  • engineering, I don't know much about the SM, but I wouldn't include it anyways because it isn't budget enough imo. yes i am 100% aware this will result in people who don't know what the fuck other engines are screwing up but whatever that happened when the tesla was new and it happened when the SM was new. still not sure what engine will fit best
  • I haven't played modern mining but since it's all lavaland focused I'd imagine I don't need to worry about it a lot, I don't believe a map can change your loadout when you spawn so I'm limited in the changes I can make anyways
  • I haven't touched botany too much and don't know if things have changed significantly or not recently
  • bartender/chef is easy, the deepfryer is on my shitlist because it makes cooking a lot simpler imo, but I don't want to remove things that have no ability to be constructed during a round (and I don't know if you can build deep fryers) I just checked and there's a board for them in the circuit printer on the wiki
  • I also haven't played cargo in a hot minute
  • AI will be interesting, I'm unsure how I want to handle secure areas yet - it would be justifiable flavourwise to have no AI but that's not really a good idea
  • i'm probably forgetting something

most of this is just "I need to get back into the game again" but science is a department that's integral to the map's gimmick (the circuit printer is necessary to build a lot of the machines I won't put in by default) and I hesitate to fuck with it

the rest I can just take a couple of points of advice for but science I'll want actual advising because changing roles that give people new technology/bring in materials/etc. will have wide reaching effects on rounds on a station that depends on people building their own stuff
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
Nabski
 
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:42 pm
Location: TN
Byond Username: Nabski
Github Username: Nabski89

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Nabski » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:30 pm #535854

Qbopper wrote:
Nabski wrote:One of Okand's maps already did the trash can plan.


sure, but it fits with the theme still - why would a station that can't even afford a cryotube off the bat waste time putting piping for disposals? (if you say "because they ran out of money after putting in the piping and wiring" i will plug my ears and hum until you go away)

Nabski wrote:What departments do you not play and need info on?


my thoughts on every department in no particular order:

  • science is a department i've never followed closely and thus have no idea where to start when it comes to stripping it down
  • medbay has changed a lot but I'm not worried about that too much, the move from sleepers and easy healing towards a more surgery focus already fits the theme pretty well
  • I don't know a ton about the security changes post stun rework, but that's more of a loadout issue than the department layout afaik
  • I have never played atmos
  • engineering, I don't know much about the SM, but I wouldn't include it anyways because it isn't budget enough imo. yes i am 100% aware this will result in people who don't know what the fuck other engines are screwing up but whatever that happened when the tesla was new and it happened when the SM was new. still not sure what engine will fit best
  • I haven't played modern mining but since it's all lavaland focused I'd imagine I don't need to worry about it a lot, I don't believe a map can change your loadout when you spawn so I'm limited in the changes I can make anyways
  • I haven't touched botany too much and don't know if things have changed significantly or not recently
  • bartender/chef is easy, the deepfryer is on my shitlist because it makes cooking a lot simpler imo, but I don't want to remove things that have no ability to be constructed during a round (and I don't know if you can build deep fryers) I just checked and there's a board for them in the circuit printer on the wiki
  • I also haven't played cargo in a hot minute
  • AI will be interesting, I'm unsure how I want to handle secure areas yet - it would be justifiable flavourwise to have no AI but that's not really a good idea
  • i'm probably forgetting something

most of this is just "I need to get back into the game again" but science is a department that's integral to the map's gimmick (the circuit printer is necessary to build a lot of the machines I won't put in by default) and I hesitate to fuck with it

the rest I can just take a couple of points of advice for but science I'll want actual advising because changing roles that give people new technology/bring in materials/etc. will have wide reaching effects on rounds on a station that depends on people building their own stuff


Make every disposals just throw the trash into maint then stop there, simple and unique.

I have opinions on science and atmos.

Security really hasn't changed you just use disablers instead of tasers.

Mining is hard to change because I don't think you can edit lavaland.

I can't talk on botany.

The only new thing in cargo is the bounties.

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 pm #535861

Nabski wrote:Make every disposals just throw the trash into maint then stop there, simple and unique.

I have opinions on science and atmos.

Security really hasn't changed you just use disablers instead of tasers.

Mining is hard to change because I don't think you can edit lavaland.

I can't talk on botany.

The only new thing in cargo is the bounties.


Dumping trash into maint is such a stupid idea that as much as I want to use trash cans I kind of like it - maybe I could go as far as having all the departmental disposal chutes link up to one dump in maint? Lavaland you definitely would not be able to change without insane snowflake shit that wouldn't get merged, but I care less about that than the gameplay on the station tbh. If you decide to play shaft miner you already are going to be missing out on a lot of the shit on the station so whatever

The other stuff is what I figured but since I mainly play stuff like medbay/mime/detective I just wanted to be sure there was nothing insanely different
Limey wrote:its too late.

User avatar
Iatots
 
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:17 pm
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Iatots » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:57 pm #536592

I wonder if a special delivery chute could be made to spread the output over a large area instead of always throwing it X tiles in front of it. It would help creating a "dump" feel instead of making a random square into a quantum stockpile.

User avatar
Qbopper
 
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:34 pm
Location: Canada
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Budgetstation... 2! (but not really)

Postby Qbopper » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:49 pm #536618

Iatots wrote:I wonder if a special delivery chute could be made to spread the output over a large area instead of always throwing it X tiles in front of it. It would help creating a "dump" feel instead of making a random square into a quantum stockpile.


Snowflake stuff probably wouldn't be received too well, I feel? But I don't actually know and I'm just assuming, in this case

It's an interesting idea but I think people might complain that it leans a bit too far on the timewasting slog side of gameplay
Limey wrote:its too late.


Return to Spriting and Mapping

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Googles_Hands