Rat King/Regal Rat Retexture

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Gul Dreggrod
Byond Username: Hulaabeo

Rat King/Regal Rat Retexture

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567599

So I was playing Sybil the other day and playing around with the Royal Cheese recipe, turning maintenance mice into rat people. I really enjoyed the mayhem, but I don't quite like the texture they used. I'm having a go at retexturing the beastie, I'd like some thoughts as I go along.

Before:

After:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Re: Rat King/Regal Rat Retexture

Post by wesoda25 » #567612

Kinda seems like a downgrade but that might work in its favor... can you show us how it looks in game?
[this space reserved]
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #567616

The old looks so grimy, the new looks so clean... I'd have to see it in game ya
Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567618

I'll definitely get some in-game screenshots once I figure out how to import the textures and Dream Maker in general. I can totally give the mob a gross color palette closer to the original.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #567619

if you upload the file (here with an attachment, or just ping me on the tg discord armhulen#9821) i can add the sprite in game and show how it looks. thanks for trying to make the game better!
XivilaiAnaxes
Byond Username: XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #567626

I like the tail and posture/body/limbs - more of a feral aspect to them, but I dont know about the head - the original head looks somewhat sinister but the ears and nose on the new one make it look kinda like a doofus (it looks too friendly and mouse-like).
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #567629

yeah the old one is creepy as shit
Super Aggro Crag
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Super Aggro Crag

Post by Super Aggro Crag » #567700

Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567742

I did some messing around with the color to bring it more in line with the original. I'm looking at ways to make the head look less derpy and more feral/scary.

and the in-game screenshot done up by Armhulen.

Two things I've noticed. First, I think the ears and tail look too pink and bright, I'll dumb down the colors for the next iteration. Second, I think the body can use more texture. Tufted hair and the like.
wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #567849

I like it more so far
[this space reserved]
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #567851

I think the advantage of the new rat look is that it looks like an embiggened version of a normal rat, which is neat
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #567882

Needs fangs.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #567886

i'd need to see it in-game beside the regular rats (aren't they mice) at a playable resolution to judge whether it fits or not
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567904

Doing front and rear views now. I'll try to see if Armhulen wants to slap them into Dreammaker at some point to get screenshots for you guys as well. I've added fangs and some other adjustments, couldn't quite make it scraggly in a satisfactory way. As always, comments are welcome!

Addendum: I have added a death sprite, thoughts are always welcome.

XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #567918

I think making the ears smaller on the side profile would help - they seem to be larger than the face on view (and they kinda look like mickey mouse ears thinking about it).

The front profile nose connects directly to the fangs -maybe make it a little more distinct by moving the nose up a pixel. I feel shrinking the nose slightly on the side profile would be a good idea as well.

Other than that looks great
Stickymayhem wrote:Imagine the sheer narcisssim required to genuinely believe you are this intelligent.
Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567921

XivilaiAnaxes wrote:I think making the ears smaller on the side profile would help - they seem to be larger than the face on view (and they kinda look like mickey mouse ears thinking about it).

The front profile nose connects directly to the fangs -maybe make it a little more distinct by moving the nose up a pixel. I feel shrinking the nose slightly on the side profile would be a good idea as well.

Other than that looks great
Thanks for the suggestions! I've made the changes just so you can see, but I don't quite like how the nose turned out on the front view. It's a little too high up, makes it looks a little clownish. I might go back and brighten up the colors on the teeth to make it stand out more from the pink flesh. The side view, however, works a helluva lot more.

XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #567928

Yeah I do sorta agree on the front profile nose - problem I think is that the teeth just aren't sticking out - you have a soft colour transition over the mouth (think how cats/rats/dogs tend to have more of an over bite instead of lips) and the teeth are a colour that sort of blends into the fur.
Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567945

I think changing the color actually helps somewhat. I was going for the yellowed tooth look that most rats have, but it doesn't work well with the greenish fur. White teeth stick out much better, I've noticed.

EDIT: I've played around with orange teeth as well. It works well enough, but it would be nice to get a consensus. White or Orange?

XivilaiAnaxes

Post by XivilaiAnaxes » #567947

The greenish yellow isn't too bad, I think you just need to emphasise it more in just the frontal view - if you look at the old rat you have 8 pixels for teeth/nose

light pink darkpink
pink darker pink
fur green fur green
lighter than fur green fur green

Whereas the teeth in the side view are always lighter than the fur colour - I think if you make the teeth just a tad brighter you can keep the rotten colour you've used
Gul Dreggrod

Post by Gul Dreggrod » #567995

After getting some feedback on Discord, I see a lot of people are having issue with the side view more so than the front and back as well as the head. One suggestion I got was to reuse the head on the dead sprite to give it a meaner look, and another suggestion was to give it a more hunchbacked appearance like the original.

Here's what I came up with. Do you guys prefer the old head or the new one?

trollbreeder
Byond Username: Trollbreeder
Github Username: trollbreeder

Post by trollbreeder » #568005

prefer the old one, having the mouth gaping open looks comical
I'm a dumb feature coder, also a bad (but not terrible) coderspriter and a semi-good mapper and an enforcer of standards.
you can find me playing when i'm not coding or playing csgo as cleans-the-house on event hall, sybil or manuel

screenshot gallery:
Spoiler:
Sheodir
Byond Username: Sheodir

Post by Sheodir » #568556

I don't wanna be that guy but I honestly prefer the original in all senses but the tail being weirdly purple and discolored. Something about it looks creepier and I enjoy that.
I play Holden Westmacott. Sec/PM main most of the time.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #568569

Probably because the older one has a more dynamic pose: its body is facing left away from you, but the head is fixated on you; it looks as if it only just now noticed you. Lots of potential action in the near future, but it works best in still images. New one is a more general pose, which will look better in motion.
Space Panda
Byond Username: Magnus Veritas

Post by Space Panda » #568594

how can i know it is a rat king instead of a regular rat if it doesn't wear a crown ??