ChilledStation: Coming soon to a server near you

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Re: ChilledStation: Coming soon to a server near you

Post by EOBGames » #657091

Bottom post of the previous page:

Hello! Today I want to make a small post just to give a proper update on the map as a whole, since the last full overview was in August. Nothing truly new to share, but I do have some nice, deeply atmospheric screenshots of the outside of the station, thanks in no small part (indeed, entirely thanks to) the new multi-z lighting propagation system (shoutout to lemoninthedark).

First things first: the full overview, as of 24/11/2022:
► Show Spoiler
And now, simply because it's been my big focus these past few days, some exterior shots:
► Show Spoiler
That'll about do it for this micro-update. More substantial stuff whenever I get the permabrig sorted, possibly more of this micro-stuff if people are interested (or I get particularly taken by the need to show stuff off again).
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Time-Green
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Time-Green

Post by Time-Green » #657391

Looks amazing! I'm very curious what the big wall is for!
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #663198

any update on this?
Striders13
In-Game Admin Trainer
Byond Username: Striders13

Post by Striders13 » #663348

Bepis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:05 am any update on this?
https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/72994
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #663357

Bepis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:05 am any update on this?
Perfectly timed, honestly.

But yeah, to make it more official, Chilled is now a PR! You can use Strider's link above, or just check for it on the repo.

Thanks again to everyone who helped out along the way and everyone who's been excited- you kept me going. Now, we move into the critical testing phase, and hope that it all goes smoothly.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Bepis
Byond Username: AurumDude

Post by Bepis » #663409

How did the stress test go?
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #663426

Bepis wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:30 pm How did the stress test go?
100+ players and didn't crash (albeit quite laggy at times), so practically a resounding success as far as ss13 goes
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Zytolg
Byond Username: Zytolg

Post by Zytolg » #663438

I can't believe I slept past the chilledstation testround.
I've resurrected Boxstation for the 5th time - what have I done?!
Actual Map Necromancer ---> Birdshots Creator
Clones-The-Corpse MD - The doctor with a bedside manner that the station can trust.
ClonkerBonker
Byond Username: Clonkerbonker

Re: ChilledStation: Back from a long vacation for a new re-reveal

Post by ClonkerBonker » #663473

Will the maints have rooms like deltas abandoned mech bay? Renovating them is really fun and id love for those kinds of rooms to exist
(sorry if i write this wrong i never use forums)
kayozz
Byond Username: Kayozz11

Post by kayozz » #663497

I noticed a good few players praising this on the discord, so I'm looking forwards to the next test.
NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR GREENTEXT
JusticeGoat
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: JusticeGoat

Post by JusticeGoat » #663576

I love that there was a mini med bay, though i suggest you place a single stasis bed down there for a doc to setup shop.
Epicgamer545
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Epicgamer545

Post by Epicgamer545 » #663641

I cannot wait for ChilledStation 2023.
Epicgamer545
J. Howard, microcelebrity & ExOS
game admin - I am still a admin, please subject me to 4 hours of tickets
► Show Spoiler
Leif
Byond Username: Leif.Nobody

Post by Leif » #686738

I hope this project is still being worked on.
EOBGames
Code Maintainer

Post by EOBGames » #687222

Suppose I should probably explain what's been going on and why Chilled isn't out yet.

So, I ran a test in February. The process of getting the map ready for that was kinda rough- a few very late nights, and more staring at minute details than I normally care to do. The net result of this is that, while the results were good and kept me wanting to work on the project, it burned me out pretty badly on the actual practical side of that. That compounds with the fact that the remaining work to be done is almost entirely grunt work like piping, or stuff I don't enjoy such as maint, alongside problems in my personal life, and that comes together to make my actual enthusiasm to map nearly zero. Add in the Kilo situation of the past month or so essentially killing my desire to be around the community for a bit (and making me terrified again to actually release the map), and it's really not been a good time.

Fast forward to about now: I've gotten a new job, and its actually giving me the daytime "something-to-do" necessary to start wanting to create in my spare time again- but it's also sapped all of said spare time. My commute is an absolute slog and is leaving me with no energy to do anything in the evenings. Fortunately, there is an end to that in sight, as I'm trying to move closer, but until then, I don't anticipate much patience for working on mapping. Once I do move, I have some plans, but I'll refrain from sharing them in case anything goes wrong with the relocation.

Anyway, with that out of the way- I've considered opening the map to community contribution to ease the personal workload a bit. I'll continue to deliberate on it (giving up creative control is hard as a creator, especially when you've poured so much of yourself into a project), so please do continue to watch this space, and if you're a mapper, your services may be needed soon.
Spoiler:
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
vect0r
Byond Username: Vect0r

Post by vect0r » #687224

EOBGames wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:46 am Suppose I should probably explain what's been going on and why Chilled isn't out yet.

So, I ran a test in February. The process of getting the map ready for that was kinda rough- a few very late nights, and more staring at minute details than I normally care to do. The net result of this is that, while the results were good and kept me wanting to work on the project, it burned me out pretty badly on the actual practical side of that. That compounds with the fact that the remaining work to be done is almost entirely grunt work like piping, or stuff I don't enjoy such as maint, alongside problems in my personal life, and that comes together to make my actual enthusiasm to map nearly zero. Add in the Kilo situation of the past month or so essentially killing my desire to be around the community for a bit (and making me terrified again to actually release the map), and it's really not been a good time.

Fast forward to about now: I've gotten a new job, and its actually giving me the daytime "something-to-do" necessary to start wanting to create in my spare time again- but it's also sapped all of said spare time. My commute is an absolute slog and is leaving me with no energy to do anything in the evenings. Fortunately, there is an end to that in sight, as I'm trying to move closer, but until then, I don't anticipate much patience for working on mapping. Once I do move, I have some plans, but I'll refrain from sharing them in case anything goes wrong with the relocation.

Anyway, with that out of the way- I've considered opening the map to community contribution to ease the personal workload a bit. I'll continue to deliberate on it (giving up creative control is hard as a creator, especially when you've poured so much of yourself into a project), so please do continue to watch this space, and if you're a mapper, your services may be needed soon.
<3
VENDETTA+Cecilia Vujic