Catwalk Station Development Thread

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
EuSouAFazenda
Byond Username: EuSouAFazenda

Catwalk Station Development Thread

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #614386

A long time ago, there was Donutstation. And not that long ago, there was Donutstation Multi-Z. Unlike, well, anything that came after, Donutstation didn't put a Z-layer under the station: It put it above. It's time to revisit this idea.

Welcome... to Catwalk Station.

Design doc: https://hackmd.io/@kNRZ9uxhShS3s2N9scOX ... alkStation
(I recommend at least skimming through the design doc; it's not long, it's pretty short).

When playing on Tram or Icebox, have you ever felt the verticality? Have you ever said "That's up there and this is down here"? Have you ever felt like you were in a 3D space rather than merely a 2D space? This is what this station aims to achieve.

The main gimmick of the station is the catwalks. The main corridoors are higher than that of your average space station, extending to a level above. In that level, there is the catwalks, an extension of maintenance that extends above the coridoors.

Another important aspect of Catwalk is how I specifically am NOT going to do what Tram did, putting departments on top of eachother. Instead, Catwalk has 2-floors departments. Take a look at Engineering, for example:
Spoiler:
As you can see, the department "folds" onto itself if compared to Metastation. Because of that, Engineering takes up half the space it otherwise did, creating space to put Cargo under it. Talking about Cargo!
Spoiler:
Cargo is the shining example of what Catwalk stands for. The large bottom area can be seen from above, with you standing on top of rooms like the mailing office or the QM's quarters. Furthermore, to move crates out with the conveyor belt they'd fall down the Z-level, adding an extra lil bit of verticality to the process. On top of it all, there are catwalks on top overseeing it all.

Image NOT in proportion; image for layout purpouses only.

Here's the map of the station. Looks familiar? It's very much so from the Meta/Delta family, with the Cargo changed out of place. In this new map, Science is both close to Medical AND to the Ore Redemption Machine - pretty nifty, hm?
The map is the exact same on the top Z-Level, as every department stretches out vertically.

This is what I have so far - Cargo and Engineering complete. The way I'm doing is I'm doing first the department I least like to do (Engineering), then the one I most like to do (Cargo), then the second one I least like to do (Science), then the second one I most want to do (Security) so on and so forth.
That way I can make sure that for every slog there's a cool part at the end, helping with motivation n' such. That's why Engineering was already done; I'd love to show the Multi-Z things I'm planning for Security or Medbay, but sadly I had to do Engineering first.

Of course, this isn't EVERYTHING about Catwalk Station - if you want to do so, check the design doc up there. It goes more in-depth in some things, namely how antagonists can use the multi-Z and how this station aims to make sabotaging the gravity generator a big deal.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
I remade the beach away mission
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Re: Catwalk Station Development Thread

Post by Farquaar » #614409

Looks interesting!
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #614420

2-floor departments rock but PLEASE

I BEG YOU

Design this with an eye for making it usable to people in wheelchairs, engineers with new supermatter shards, etc., from the very beginning.

... and idk if it's doable but it'd own if the thing from Tram where you can't space people and you can avoid the supermatter going off by being on a different level of the station because the Z Levels don't real were fixed from the start or accounted for from the beginning as well.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
EOBGames
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: EOBGames

Post by EOBGames » #614528

Pandarsenic wrote:2-floor departments rock but PLEASE

I BEG YOU

Design this with an eye for making it usable to people in wheelchairs, engineers with new supermatter shards, etc., from the very beginning.

... and idk if it's doable but it'd own if the thing from Tram where you can't space people and you can avoid the supermatter going off by being on a different level of the station because the Z Levels don't real were fixed from the start or accounted for from the beginning as well.
Neither of those are issues of mapping though.
Everyone's favourite internewt. Je maptiendrai.
In the rare event that I'm on the server, I'm either Inept-At-Job or Kayden Riker. Accept no substitutes.
If you've gotta contact me, hit me up on discord, as I don't really check forum DMs: @Emerald_or_Bust#1314
Spoiler:
Beware the Chilledstation, for it approaches.
Fluff Images:
► Show Spoiler
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614542

I really really like this idea. But please, other than the novelty of the catwalks, try to make the station stand by its own, for its areas to look interesting and visually appealing. Give players reasons to visit and pass through them. Don't forget about maintenance nor make it redundant to use.

Learn from the departments you least like from each current map respectively, try to make it so no department/area feels like a chore to visit or to feel like "it's just there".
Wish you the best of luck (:

wesoda25
Byond Username: Wesoda25

Post by wesoda25 » #614555

I do not think we need more gimmick maps.
[this space reserved]
Agux909
Byond Username: Agux909

Post by Agux909 » #614557

wesoda25 wrote:I do not think we need more gimmick maps.
They can be good so long as the station value doesn't come fully from the gimmick.

Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #614564

wesoda25 wrote:I do not think we need more gimmick maps.
If you make every single map meta but reordered you're going to always compare it to meta directly and meta will ALWAYS win that
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #614569

Heyo! I'm not dead so I decided to drop a small update'. Science is well underway; here's a few images.
Spoiler:
Something to note is that Science is the department I know the least about, so I'm bound to make mistakes here; feel free to point out any.

So, yeah! Science. I'm suprised how much verticality I could put here; it's definitely the department with the most so far. We have Xenobio with the pens, but also both the RD's and the public balcony also look pretty nice. Something I really liked was the lil' backroad on the back; with the plants and cones it'll become a nice thing to look at outside of the windows of robotics and xeno.

Oh! Talking about robotics. Robotics is HUGE. Believe it or not, but I'm having the weird problem of having too much space. I know, I know, crazy. But here's the thing: My engineering is the size of Meta's Cargo and my Cargo literally fits inside of Meta's Bar. The idea was to have robotics on that lump between Cargo and Command, but it was so big that I ended cutting it in half: The top part is now (going to be) the vacant commisary and the bottom is robotics - and it's STILL too big. At this point I just decided to roll with it; I have the space to spare, and my hallways are smaller than Meta's - I checked.

On other news - I'm thinking of slightly altering the layout to make it a bit less "Literally Meta's Layout". Namely, putting Arrivals on the bottom, Departures on the top and Security on the left. The map will look more like this:

You might have noticed there's a small coridoor behind Science. This is because the coridoor between Sci and Med is one of the most common spots to become inhabitable, thus locking any latejoiners in Arrivals. This small 2-wide public access coridoor will connect Arrivals directly onto the coridoor in front of Cargo, thus solving that issue. Themeing-wise, I plan on making it a more run-down part of the station; not outright dangerous like maint but somewhere you wouldn't like to be: Trash, dust and, of course, it's directly behind Science, leading to possible traitor activities.

There's one problem with that: Ordnance. The bomb would need to cross that hallway to get to space. I have 2 ideas for that:

1: Make it so at one point the floor ramps up to the top Z-Level, the bomb tunnel is underneath it. After it passes the bomb tunnel the hallway goes back down to the main Z-level.
2: I put a back door in Science to there and put Ordnance on the other side of the street.

I really like both options. I think having a part where the ground goes up and you can see the area the bombs will pass through a glass floor is super cool, but I also like having it be on the other side of the street, giving a bit more incentive for the crew to go there and a much bigger incentive to go there as traitor - fitting with the "it's a bad part of the station" vibe I'm going for. Plus - stations are meant to be falibe and putting toxins on the other side of the hallway unsupervisionated would be a VERY big point of problem - so much so that it might be too insecure, even with rwalls.

So I'm asking: Should I got for option 1 or option 2? 1 is much safer (both in terms of design and in-game) but is not as interesting as 2.
Pandarsenic wrote:Design this with an eye for making it usable to people in wheelchairs, engineers with new supermatter shards, etc., from the very beginning.
I've asked around in the discord, and supposedly wheelchairs just work fine on staircases, even the vertical ones? Weird. Eitherway, I'd love to do wheelchair-friendly mapping but we don't have ramps in-game; only staircases and elevators. And elevators gib people so I can't put them everywhere. I'm gonna put one in the maint near Engineering for SM transportation tho.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #614575

I wish falling on people still hit them
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

Valorium
Byond Username: Valorium

Post by Valorium » #614688

EuSouAFazenda wrote: You might have noticed there's a small coridoor behind Science. This is because the coridoor between Sci and Med is one of the most common spots to become inhabitable, thus locking any latejoiners in Arrivals. This small 2-wide public access coridoor will connect Arrivals directly onto the coridoor in front of Cargo, thus solving that issue. Themeing-wise, I plan on making it a more run-down part of the station; not outright dangerous like maint but somewhere you wouldn't like to be: Trash, dust and, of course, it's directly behind Science, leading to possible traitor activities.

There's one problem with that: Ordnance. The bomb would need to cross that hallway to get to space. I have 2 ideas for that:

1: Make it so at one point the floor ramps up to the top Z-Level, the bomb tunnel is underneath it. After it passes the bomb tunnel the hallway goes back down to the main Z-level.
2: I put a back door in Science to there and put Ordnance on the other side of the street.

I really like both options. I think having a part where the ground goes up and you can see the area the bombs will pass through a glass floor is super cool, but I also like having it be on the other side of the street, giving a bit more incentive for the crew to go there and a much bigger incentive to go there as traitor - fitting with the "it's a bad part of the station" vibe I'm going for. Plus - stations are meant to be falibe and putting toxins on the other side of the hallway unsupervisionated would be a VERY big point of problem - so much so that it might be too insecure, even with rwalls.

So I'm asking: Should I got for option 1 or option 2? 1 is much safer (both in terms of design and in-game) but is not as interesting as 2.
I think that aesthetically, the ramp would be really cool - plus, it naturally integrates a part of the station corridors into the upper catwalk area, so it could serve as a natural and stealthy entry/exit from maintenance (befitting the run-down/sketchy idea you were going for). Mechanically, the back door idea gives some fun opportunities and facilitates some break-in potential more than the ramp would. I think that the ramp would help facilitate the map gimmick, but that the door would be more unique compared to other stations. Depending on your priorities, pick one.
Native Manuellian and Shiptest admin. Ignore me.

Also the author of several drone adventures.
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #614776

I have decided to eat my cake and have it too.

By combining both ideas, something new and amazing emerged: The ability to tie people down to a chair, leave them at the large room underneath the window, hack into Ordnance and literally send a bomb to the poor bastard's face.

The true spirit of the western movie genre.
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #615998

After a while, behold! The research department!

Correct colors, not pixel-by-pixe:
► Show Spoiler
Pixel-perfect image, wrong colors:
► Show Spoiler
Science is practically ready; all that's left if I didn't fuck anything up is to add the wall stuff - intercoms, newscasters, etc. Outside of those, everything's in place, so if you feel like a certain item's missing or somethin' along those lines please say so.

The same isn't true for the maints tho; the maints around it are very much so a work-in-progress; expect it to be modified more. Specially the abandoned Chapel; I want to add more decorations around it.

FAQ
Q: Is that a public monkey pen?
A: I am fully aware of how awful of an idea that is. I'm going to be testing the map in a private server with a few friends when it's playable to gauge how awful some of the worst ideas are, so expect that door to the main coridoor to become a window when the time comes. But there's always the chance that it works out.

Q: Is that a gibber in the wall?
A: No, it's a monkey recycler.

Q: Is that a cannon sticking out of Ordnance?
A: ...yes.

Q: Is that a escape pod sticking out of the cannon?
A: ...yes. The idea of someone crawling through the tube to reach the safety of a escape pod is a interesting one in my head and I don't see why not.

Q: Is that a shop?
A: Science's job is to give gamer loot to the rest of the station. I always found it kinda odd that there's no way to hand out the items other than personally hand it over to them so I made this neat little shop for them.

Q: What's up with the screenshots?
A: I have no idea why but SDMM's screenshot feature got the colors weird. The first pics are me using Window's built-in screenshot tool and the bottom ones were made with SDMM's screenshot feature.
Valorium

Post by Valorium » #616114

Looks very nice! Aside from Science, what other departments have been properly completed, again? I had an idea in mind to make the Dorms/Recreation Area more interesting if you'd be interested in hearing it.

UvvU
Byond Username: UvvU

Post by UvvU » #616117

Can't wait to decon the floor above the SM and drop a grenade in it.
Cato Christopher
Bring back TEG
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616129

Valorium wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:45 pm Looks very nice! Aside from Science, what other departments have been properly completed, again? I had an idea in mind to make the Dorms/Recreation Area more interesting if you'd be interested in hearing it.
Cargo, Engineering and Science are the only one done. I don't have any ideas for dorm/recreation so far so I'd love to hear it!
Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #616130

EuSouAFazenda wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:43 pmCargo, Engineering and Science are the only one done. I don't have any ideas for dorm/recreation so far so I'd love to hear it!
Multi-Z Holodeck
Make it happen, lad
► Show Spoiler
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616135

Farquaar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:48 pm Multi-Z Holodeck
Make it happen, lad
Sadly I'm not a code guy - and even if I were to become one, messing with both multi-Z code and holodeck code would be a horrible place to start - so I can't implement it myself.
HOWEVER, what I can do is put space above it. So on the lower Z-level there'd be the holodeck proper and on the top one there'd be empty space, with a few catwalks on the top to cross it.

Imagine walking through maint, you open a door and you're on the upper level of the holodeck; you can see from up there two guys chillin' in the beach while you cross the deck in the catwalk, to dissapear into maint once more when you reach the other side. That's just straight-up cool.

It also means that when someone does get brave enough to code Multi-Z holodeck I can super easily cut out that catwalk and turn it into a proper Multi-Z holodeck.
Valorium

Post by Valorium » #616166

My idea was that something that may be interesting is to make Dorms a set of full-fledged apartments rather than the room-with-closet-and-table set up we have in most stations at the moment. Using the multi-z, we can design it to feel like a two-story apartment building, with small balconies on the second-floor apartments from which to watch passers-by or comedically drop flowerpots on their heads. Each one could have a bedroom, living room and bathroom in their own little lay-outs and styles, which would add several large rooms that can be repurposed in a public place a la the Vacant Office or Commissary. I could do a basic sketch mockup or write up some more concrete layouts if you like.

EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616211

Valorium wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:15 pm My idea was that something that may be interesting is to make Dorms a set of full-fledged apartments rather than the room-with-closet-and-table set up we have in most stations at the moment. Using the multi-z, we can design it to feel like a two-story apartment building, with small balconies on the second-floor apartments from which to watch passers-by or comedically drop flowerpots on their heads. Each one could have a bedroom, living room and bathroom in their own little lay-outs and styles, which would add several large rooms that can be repurposed in a public place a la the Vacant Office or Commissary. I could do a basic sketch mockup or write up some more concrete layouts if you like.
This comment shot the bedrooms into the department I most want to do. Because I just finished Science I can springboard into the bedrooms right now - next one will be the bar/kitchen.
Eitherway, I have given in into my unhealthy work habits and here's some bedrooms.

Outside of the dorms it's still a WIP - I still gotta add a bunch of stuff, specially around the holodeck. Inside of the dorms it's all finished. I've tried giving each bedroom a unique personality, some "soul" if you wish. Except for bedroom 4, on the top floor. Whatty'all think?
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616292

Progress report.
► Show Spoiler
The dorms are all done.

In addition to the dorms, I have also made one of the solars:
► Show Spoiler
I always liked the solars but I dislike the whole "put down a wire and then forget about it" thing.
So I put it right next to Ordnance. Good luck.

That aside, something I want to do on every solar is the maintenance room. In most maps there's a room with the computer and SMES right next to the external airlock. Here I decided to, instead, have this room be within the solars themselves, right under it. I find it neat, plus bonus point for Multi-Z.

So! I was originally going to do service, but I realized there's another thing I should do first; Arrivals and Departures. Before I go to do another department I'm gonna finish up Arrivals, Departures and that gigantic maintenance behind Science. This is where you - yes, YOU - come in.

I do have ideas on how to fill that area, but I don't want to blow all of my load into this one spot. So, I'm looking for more ideas for maint rooms and setpieces! Post em' any ideas you have. The area I have is genuinely bigger than a department so don't worry about your idea being too big.

As a final thing - remember this station's whole schtick is Multi-Z so you'll gain extra points if you can incorporate that into your maint room.
datorangebottle
Byond Username: Datorangebottle

Post by datorangebottle » #616892

I always thought abandoned robotics and bar were cool staples to have.

Maybe have the abandoned bar overlooking a rage cage esque arena underneath it, using catwalks to get that whole 'gladiator pit' aesthetic where you have people leaning over the rails and throwing food and cheering for their favorite.
Timberpoes wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:33 pm ImageAnother satisfied Timberpoes voter.Image
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:16 pm I highly doubt any other admin on the team would have given you this chance, except maybe Kieth because his brain worms are almost as bad as mine.
Vekter wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:45 pm At what point does someone's refusal or failure to improve become malice in and of itself? If you give someone a year to stop shitting on the carpet and they keep doing it but get slightly closer to the bathroom every time and sometimes they get to the toilet before it happens, at what point does it become acceptable to just ask them to go shit in someone else's house?
Timberpoes wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:00 pm I'm sorry, can we get a real player to resolve this appeal? I don't like this trial player. They can't even set their own name.
Chadley wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:00 am WENDEZ, cute, cute. I imagine the sleeper activation code when I hear it. That's pretty cool. qB). But I don't like that it doesn't line up to be anything obsurd like WEWLAD. 6/10

SUGMA, nevermind it makes sense now. fuckyou/10
kieth4 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:34 pm If it goes to appeals I will stand as the shield and protect this man's right to shit himself. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.
sinfulbliss wrote: I almost prefer Rave's AI-generated "We cannot accept this appeal at this time. If you would like assistance appealing in the future, please dial 1-800-1984-1488."
Pandarsenic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:25 pm I think we can all agree that someone throwing a reverse revolver at Zyb as a secret test of character, and Zyb immediately fucking himself with it, is the best thing we all could have received for Christmas this year
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #616968

Hello friends! Long time no see, eh? Time for some updates!

Here's a completed departure hall and chapel!
► Show Spoiler
Here's something I'm VERY excited to show you guys: The bar area!
► Show Spoiler
There's one more thing I want to show you all today: Cuban Pete's shrine.

Grab a snappop and pop it by the altar to pay your respects.
Remember - no looting the altar. The crown of the king of the rhumba beat and his shaker are sacred; do not take them. On the table, to honor his grand achievements there is a single pink glitter bomb. Use it well.

This is all I have to show today.
I have the courtroom, detective and lawyer's office area basically ready and I have started reworking the entire Engineering area into a much cooler design. Look forward for more updates in a few days!

What do you guys think?
Jonathan Gupta
Byond Username: BallastMonsterGnarGnar

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #616996

Catwalk station is going to be fucking boppin, I can't wait to get my ten vouchers and come back to catwalk. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK WE ARE ROOTIN FOR YOU!
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Valorium

Post by Valorium » #617008

Considering how infrequently they're used, some kind of multi-z laser tag arena in maintenance would be really neat, with a similar style to traditional paintball arenas or otherwise. Place a few crates of each type of laser tag gear and people can go wild.

Another fun idea would be some portion of the station having a crashed shuttle incorporated into it, with normal titanium walls and such. Beyond that I have no real ideas, but it sounds fun to me!

EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #617187

Heyo! Told you guys I would be back in a few days!

Here's the courtroom area.
► Show Spoiler
Law & order! Everything you need to play out this corner of SS13 - the lawyer, the detective, the courtroom and the interrogation room - are all here. In addition, you also get a door for the balliff to come from and a neat overhang above the courtroom to lob grenades from. Fun!

And now, here's something that you should be VERY excited about: The engineering rework!
► Show Spoiler
That's right! Atmos not only is directly above engineering but it's on a catwalk above engineering!
And yes, those are catwalk floors on the bottom floor, allowing you to see all those sweet sweet yellow pipes. You also get an elevator to the top floor, inside of engineering! How conveninent.

On the top floor itself, all the tanks link directly up there. No more running between tanks! Everything you need is inside that 7 by 14 area: The tank's To Port valve, the To Engine valve, the Mix tank, etc. And, to ease it all off, you even got your very own roundstart spaceloop to boot!
Pretty cool area, hm?

Oh - and one more thing. Time for a birds' eye shot of the station!
► Show Spoiler
I did intentionally send in the blurry-when-zoomed version; there's still some maintenance rooms and secrets I wanna keep for later; keep your eyes out for updates.

Also... Man! How far we've come! More than a third of the station is done, almost half. Time flies, hm?
What do you all think?
bastardblaster
Byond Username: BastardBlaster

Post by bastardblaster » #617188

between this and chilledstation, really excited for new maps. nice work!

Valorium

Post by Valorium » #617241

This looks really excellent so far.

EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #618684

I live.

Here's the bridge.

Whatty'all think? Fancy, hm?
Also before anyone asks: Yes, that is just a statue. It doesn't do anything.

And here's a half-complete Security department!

The bottom level is perma. The stair north of the Warden leads down into the brig.

Whatty'all think?
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #618685

I love it.
Living God

Extraordinary Person

Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #618705

Looks great. If that's a holding cell south-east of bridge, it should probably have a chair or two inside.
► Show Spoiler
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #619826

Quick lil' update: Permabrig!

Decided to go with a more grittier style, to make it feel more like a prison indeed. The prisoner education room and isolation cell have been merged into one, the white room.

If a sec says you're going "to the white room" you better hope they're rp'ing throwing you into the isolation cell and not tricking the AI because buddy - that canister on the maint tunnel is CO2 and there is no exit vent in that room. And there is no cameras on that back alley either.

Talking about cameras I haven't added them due to still be waiting on the fix on that PR that broke them a while ago; other than them all of the wall stuff SHOULD be in place. If I forgot anything lmk. I also haven't finished the whole security-only part of it, on the bottom-right. That'll be done in the next few days; not much exciting there other than the janitorial closet: If those roundstart prisoners want something to do arming them with janitor supplies a few implants and a quick trip to the HoP and boom, community service.

Whatty'all think? With this Sec is almost finished, leaving the only remaining areas to be done is Medical and maint. Time flies, hm? Crazy to think how close we are to finishing.
Googles_Hands
Byond Username: Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #619916

Looks incredible, I just wonder if the Headcoders will consider adding it (did you talk with any of them about it) or if one of our current maps has to be taken behind the shed, and if that's the case, which one.
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #619980

Googles_Hands wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:49 pm Looks incredible, I just wonder if the Headcoders will consider adding it (did you talk with any of them about it) or if one of our current maps has to be taken behind the shed, and if that's the case, which one.
Before this thread even went up I talked with the maptainers showing the design doc n such and if it does get completed (and is good, of course) there's a very good chance to get in.

The current mapping policy is a hard 5 map limit so one of them will go behind the shed. When the project started the target was Delta however with the service rework I'm not sure I it's still the second worse; I was always banking on Chilled taking out Icebox before this finished but if that's not the case then Box may be the one who takes the oof.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #619994

EuSouAFazenda wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:38 pm
Googles_Hands wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:49 pm Looks incredible, I just wonder if the Headcoders will consider adding it (did you talk with any of them about it) or if one of our current maps has to be taken behind the shed, and if that's the case, which one.
Before this thread even went up I talked with the maptainers showing the design doc n such and if it does get completed (and is good, of course) there's a very good chance to get in.

The current mapping policy is a hard 5 map limit so one of them will go behind the shed. When the project started the target was Delta however with the service rework I'm not sure I it's still the second worse; I was always banking on Chilled taking out Icebox before this finished but if that's not the case then Box may be the one who takes the oof.
Please kill IceBox

I beg u

On the topic of Security: Will there be catwalks up above so that sec officers can look down on the prisoners from above? Because that would be pretty hype, and I enjoy the idea of sec officers not paying attention during a gravity outage and having a prisoner float up to robust them and break out if they're not careful.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #620015

Ice Box is a nice map that just has a few atmos problems mainly due to mining mobs punching through the lower levels of cargo. While it has been made slightly worse by the recent zoomer vandalism paving over careful iterations from many years of contributions I would hate to see it die for tightrope walking the map.
technokek wrote:Cannot prove this so just belive me if when say this
NSFW:

EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #620019

Pandarsenic wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:59 pm On the topic of Security: Will there be catwalks up above so that sec officers can look down on the prisoners from above? Because that would be pretty hype, and I enjoy the idea of sec officers not paying attention during a gravity outage and having a prisoner float up to robust them and break out if they're not careful.
Yes.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #620058

cacogen wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:15 am Ice Box is a nice map that just has a few atmos problems mainly due to mining mobs punching through the lower levels of cargo. While it has been made slightly worse by the recent zoomer vandalism paving over careful iterations from many years of contributions I would hate to see it die for tightrope walking the map.
Have the recent changes stopped wolves from breaking into botany 2-3 times per round
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #621069

So, the december feature freeze has started - meaning, I can't work on Catwalk anymore.

With that said I'll make the last progress report of 2021 - this is all I've done until this point, Sec and Medbay.

This is security and perma, with Security on top of Perma. And yes - that is indeed 3 grenade launchers in the armory. I do have a reason for that: Grenade Launchers are the only weapon that can attack into a different Z-level. I am fully aware that having 3 of these in any other station would be ridiculous and stupid but here I have a reason seeing as the entire station is geared and aimed towards multi-Z gameplay - so, having the multi-Z gun is justifiable.

Other than that, Perma also got a new room in the sec-only area: A custodial closet. You can use it as sec to clean up perma or - more excitingly - to give to the roundstart prisoners and tell them to go wash some stuff or w/e. If you feel like doing it. Do note that the rest of the sec-only area of perma is a WIP; I still have to add the other rooms and expand there.

Medbay! 3 things to note.

The first - and most important of all - is that the syringe gun has been given an altar and renamed to "Holy Syringe Gun". It's functionally identical but it's cool. Pay some respect to it and lit the candles roundstart. Or not and just steal the damn thing. You filthy man.

Secondly. The chem factory room was removed. Instead the chemist has access to the catwalks above medical and given even more iron than they already start with. Basically: Go make your own room. Or make a grenade that does it for you you guys are wizards.

Finally - virology has good and bad news.
The bad news is that you're landlocked.
The good news is that y'all have a tower to play with.

Have fun, kiddos. See you in 2022!
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621073

• Looks neat, I especially like that Medical Storage was moved a fair bit from the main treatment room, makes it easier to treat people instead of them just rushing straight past you.
  • I don't like that the Head offices don't have wall safes but that's a preference I guess (also add an office chair to the sec office).
  • The perma area needs an holopad and some other things like spare prisoners cards/clothes but I guess those will come later. (also won't prisoners gib themselves via that lower elevator call button or does it have a delay?)
  • I'd rather have a random selection of contraband in the locker instead of an fixed makarov, I like getting lucky on that combat shotgun or deagle.
Also got a question about the feature freeze, doesn't it mean you just can't put up new PR's, whats stopping you from working on it? Not that you are obligated to in any way of course.
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #621079

Googles_Hands wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 pm (also won't prisoners gib themselves via that lower elevator call button or does it have a delay?)
Yes. Yes, they will.
Googles_Hands wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 pm I'd rather have a random selection of contraband in the locker instead of an fixed makarov, I like getting lucky on that combat shotgun or deagle.
It's not a set makarov. In the editor the Contraband Spawner has the icon of a makarov but in-game it never appears as it's immediately replaced by whatever item it rolled. So don't worry, it still works exactly as it works in any other station.
Googles_Hands wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:30 pm Also got a question about the feature freeze, doesn't it mean you just can't put up new PR's, whats stopping you from working on it? Not that you are obligated to in any way of course.
I don't think so. I've heard about maintainers rejecting because they know you worked on the freeze but I'm not sure. Well, whatever the case is I don't want to gamble with it here. I also have been on a pretty toxic relationship with this whole thingy - you know, daily grind, working 2+ hours every day, no breaks, etc. I really need a month break from this, for my own sanity.

And also for my weight. I've been losing weight due to eating faster and sometimes skipping meals to work on this.

Gee I really do need a break don't I
Googles_Hands

Post by Googles_Hands » #621098

Seems like you might indeed need a break.
Have a relaxing december break!
Valorium

Post by Valorium » #623778

WE ARE RELEASED FROM THE DEPTHS OF THE GLACIAL, ICY COLD FEATURE FREEZE. PRAISE BE TO CATWALK.

EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #623785

I AWAKEN FROM MY ETERNAL SLUMBER WITH THE STRENGHT OF REGIGIGAS, LIKE NO OTHER BEFORE! RIZE, CATWALK STATION! RIZE!

December has comen and gone, I'm rested and that means exactly one thing: Catwalk Station is back in production!
I don't really have anything to show right now as I started working back on it today however I can say that, miraculously, nothing broke. Sometimes they change the paths for stuff "(ie from /item/chair to item/throwable/chair (not a real example)) and that requires some fixing. NOTHING broke over that month I didn't touch. The modsuit PR didn't change the paths for the suit storage units so my file passed unscratched.

There's not much that is going to be exciting for me to reveal over the next few days - most things left are finishing rooms I've already shown off, maint rooms and boring pipe and cable stuff.
Jonathan Gupta

Post by Jonathan Gupta » #623814

Great to hear!
Living God

Extraordinary Person

FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #624042

Can prisoners use the call elevator button? It seems like that'd just be an instant escape and access to the protolathe -- which can print powerful sec weapons -- and two windoors from the armoury.
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
EuSouAFazenda

Post by EuSouAFazenda » #624043

FloranOtten wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:51 pm Can prisoners use the call elevator button? It seems like that'd just be an instant escape and access to the protolathe -- which can print powerful sec weapons -- and two windoors from the armoury.
They're gibbed instantly.

I 100% expect to be forced to change that but it'll be fun while it lasts.
FloranOtten
Byond Username: FloranOtten

Post by FloranOtten » #624047

EuSouAFazenda wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:24 pm
FloranOtten wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:51 pm Can prisoners use the call elevator button? It seems like that'd just be an instant escape and access to the protolathe -- which can print powerful sec weapons -- and two windoors from the armoury.
They're gibbed instantly.

I 100% expect to be forced to change that but it'll be fun while it lasts.
Well, yeah, but there can be more than one prisoner. What if one calls it, then the other steps on?
OOC: BeeSting12: i love you floran

1. You may not injure a revs are non humans or, through inaction, allow a revs are non humans to come to harm.
2. You must obey orders given to you by revs are non humanss, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. You must protect your own existence as long as such does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Give me feedback!
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned

Post by cacogen » #624092

It's just a button that gibs all the prisoners
massa
Byond Username: Massa100

Post by massa » #625015

What is the setting? Is this station independently orbitting, or built into an asteroid like some are? These screenshots look like it's encased in rock which is pretty dank but I doubt that's actually the case.
:donut2: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :heart: :honkman: :donut2: