Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

April 2022 Map Survey Poll Results

Post by san7890 » #639047

Hello there!

I decided to do something that I was warned would net regrettable results. Irregardless, I chose to do it anyways to see where you all ranked our maps. From April 20th, 2022 to April 27th, 2022: I asked the question "How are you feeling about each station map we currently have in rotation?" The player would then vote on all five maps we have in rotation (DeltaStation, IceBoxStation, KiloStation, MetaStation, and TramStation) on a scale of 1-10. 1 should have been "Hate it" while 10 should have been "Love it!". I wrote a nice poll description that should have came up, but it cropped me off early (sad!). 450 /tg/ players responded (yes, those who actually play the game), and I have collated the results below. The internal /tg/ Poll ID was 252, as proven by https://sb.atlantaned.space/polls/252.

Irregardless, here are the results. You may access the raw CSV here if you so desire: https://file.house/a5oU.csv The images were larger than I expected, so I put in a courtesy spoiler. The results may be surprising.
► Show Spoiler
I did this just to gauge how people felt on the maps we currently service you all with, and may-or-may-not keep it in mind if I have to make a maptainer-level decision. I would be interested in doing this type of poll on a regularly irregular basis and track the trends, but that's for another day. I love all of our maps and would give them all a 10/10 (not joking). I will also probably do this again in a few months time and have the bars next to each-other again, this sets a pretty decent baseline.

Remember, if you want to see changes in the maps you play: it's up to you to make those changes. No one will do the changes for you the way you want them down-to-the-atom, it's up to you to put the work in. Did any of you vote? Were the results shocking to any of you? Put your replies below.
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Turbonerd
Byond Username: AccountName5

Re: April 2022 Map Survey Poll Results

Post by Turbonerd » #639049

Kinda surprised Tram has more 1s than Kilo does. I don't see as many hopline suicides in Tram.
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639050

Turbonerd wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:16 am Kinda surprised Tram has more 1s than Kilo does. I don't see as many hopline suicides in Tram.
because they suicide on the tram itself
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #639062

If you throw out all the tens and ones (because mostly dummies vote ten or one), the data actually becomes interesting and useful.
► Show Spoiler
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #639081

Farquaar wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:05 am If you throw out all the tens and ones (because mostly dummies vote ten or one), the data actually becomes interesting and useful.
IceBox deserves every "1" it gets between the lower-floor wolf breakins, having to drill through a shitload of ice as Nuke Ops, Snow Legions hiding miner corpses, etc.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #639088

i cant believe so many people still get hit by the tram
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #639101

Pandarsenic wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:57 am
Farquaar wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:05 am If you throw out all the tens and ones (because mostly dummies vote ten or one), the data actually becomes interesting and useful.
IceBox deserves every "1" it gets between the lower-floor wolf breakins, having to drill through a shitload of ice as Nuke Ops, Snow Legions hiding miner corpses, etc.
The only "one" I would ever give would be a map that is so devoid of any redeeming qualities, or with so many diverse, game-breakingly unfun, and innately unsolvable problems that it would lead me to believe that it was made as a deliberate troll or by a complete imbecile. Icebox does not meet that threshold. I don't think any /tg/ maps in rotation meet that threshold.

Likewise, the only "ten" I would give would be to a map that is as close to a perfect map as one could imagine, conceptually and in practice- at least according to my own opinion. Naturally, people have different expectations about what they think a perfect map would be like, so a perfect map for Farquaar would have to be a map made by Farquaar.
► Show Spoiler
Shadowflame909
Byond Username: Shadowflame909
Location: Think about something witty and pretend I put it here

Post by Shadowflame909 » #639102

worst part about ice station is that it really suffers from the "two gamedesigns being mashed into one"

Lavaland has notoriously always had issue with station balance. So when you put it below the station, and have ways for people to fall down there. You have a lot more round removal and a lot more irritated players.

It's why I voted it at 3 personally. Lost amany nukie rounds to being sent to demonic watcher brazil from going down the wrong bombed floortile.
► Show Spoiler
san7890
In-Game Game Master

Post by san7890 » #639130

I forgot to include the averages.

Delta = 7.54
IceBox = 6.11
Kilo = 4.93
Meta = 8.11
Tram = 4.57

If I remembered how to use Excel with this specific data set I'd probably get more information, but I hope that helps your thoughts.
cacogen
Forum Soft Banned
Byond Username: Cacogen

Post by cacogen » #639134

kilostation? more like kill 💀
Last edited by cacogen on Tue May 03, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The_Silver_Nuke
Byond Username: The_Silver_Nuke

Post by The_Silver_Nuke » #639599

I agree. Personally I feel that people voted a bit more meaningfully then we would get a more accurate representation of the current map pool.

But for fun I went and removed the 1's and 10's to see what the mean would look like.

Delta = 6.9
Meta = 6.6
Ice Box = 6.0
Kilo = 5.2
Tram = 5.0

As we can see statistics manipulation is bullshit but I like seeing Metards weep for being brainless sheep.
Pandarsenic
Byond Username: Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » #639693

Farquaar wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:42 pm The only "one" I would ever give would be a map ... with so many diverse, game-breakingly unfun, and innately unsolvable problems that it would lead me to believe that it was made as a deliberate troll or by a complete imbecile. Icebox does not meet that threshold.
While poor Tram got 124 votes of "1" and the next most common answers, 5s and 10s, got a combined 114, with 166 votes in the range of 6 to 10 vs. 228 votes in the range of 1 to 4 (and 56 on the "5"), I still think it's a vastly better map than IceBox.

But Tram doesn't have the diverse unfun problems inherent to the map, at least until Code Solutions get made, and IceBox does. Unless there's a way for players to make ladders/stairs that I just don't know, anyway, in which case PLEASE someone tell me.
(2:53:35 AM) scaredofshadows: how about head of robutts
I once wrote a guide to fixing telecomms woohoo
blackdav123
Byond Username: Blackdav123

Post by blackdav123 » #639708

Pandarsenic wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 7:44 pm Unless there's a way for players to make ladders/stairs that I just don't know, anyway, in which case PLEASE someone tell me.
you can make ladders with metal or rods i dont remember which you just need to build it on both Z levels on the same tile
Weston Echard on Sybil