Rate my Map (Shutstation!)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
warbluke
Byond Username: Warbluke

Rate my Map (Shutstation!)

Post by warbluke » #673966

DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT MAKE THE COMPONENT PARTS OF THIS MAP, I JUST REARRANGED THEM. THE SHUTTLES, ASTEROIDS, AND COPIED ROOM SECTIONS WERE MADE BY THEIR INDIVIDUAL CREATORS
In the spirit of March into Mapness, I've decided to post my greatest creation: ShuttleStation (Shutstation for short)
Essentially, it's an attempt to create a space hulk by slamming together all the whiteships, cargo shuttles, and pods I felt like grabbing. (No shuttles though, they're too easy) The map is about six months out of date with the codebase, and I haven't touched it since last year, so it's most likely not going to be merged this week. I made sure to put all my cool ideas in, with lots of tight hallways and twisty corners. I think I've come to realize that lots of tight hallways and twisty corners do not make a good map, but half the intention here was to make the worst map possible, so Total Victory Achieved. If you're wondering where I stopped, it was Atmos (Or "Shutmos," since it's Shutstation Atmos.) No big surprise there, if I do this again I will blatantly steal boxstation atmos and call it a day.
You might notice it's actually pretty small map-wise, this is intentional! As a Bagil-player I'm more accustomed to lower pops, but I like high population density maps. This has led to some interesting design choices in locations (Don't look at sec or sci if you value your sanity)
Highlights include:
-No gulag, instead you fire prisoners out of a mass driver to maroon them on the kilo asteroid
-The shortest bus in Maint
-Firefly inspired bar hangout area
-Landlocked Atmos
-The High Density Plasma Observation Tube in central hallway
-Exterior Turrets on AI upload
-My desperate attempt to figure out the bare minimum a toxins lab needs
-The half-finished corpse that is Shutmos (Take special note of where the distro and waste pipes pass through)
Fun fact! 60% of this map was made using Dream Maker since I did not know there were any alternative tools for mapping! Personally I think that makes it more soulful in a deranged sort of way. I only found out about StrongDMM because the map would not compile right on regular Dream Maker.
Were I to do it again there'd be more trams, maybe a hot rod convertible shuttle for getting from one end to the other. And it would be on a gas giant where every non-station tile is a chasm and the atmosphere is 100% plasma.
So, what do you fine people think of Shutstation?
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Re: Rate my Map (Shutstation!)

Post by san7890 » #673970

this maintenance section doesn't make any sense and would almost certainly look better as a nice open space, maybe with a little mural (floor art)? otherwise yea
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #673972

san7890 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 am Image

this maintenance section doesn't make any sense and would almost certainly look better as a nice open space, maybe with a little mural (floor art)? otherwise yea
Yeah, I saw there was a big open space and that cannot be allowed on Shutstation.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #673973

This is super dope but I wouldn't constrain yourself to hard rules like "no open space"
Love the uniqueness
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #673977

Armhulen wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:21 am This is super dope but I wouldn't constrain yourself to hard rules like "no open space"
Love the uniqueness
>Make a joke map with intentionally terrible design
>People offer constructive criticism and encouragement
Thanks I guess! In reality the reason I removed the open space is that I just like maintenance and tried to put as much as I could around the map.
san7890
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: San7890
Github Username: san7890

Post by san7890 » #673980

it's probably fine to not have any open areas but the maintenance blob of spaghetti nothingness just seems unappetizing imo. keep it if you want but i think you can definitely do something more interesting with that space even retaining the "shut" theme
Simultaneously making both the best and worst jokes on the internet. I like looking at maps and code. Learn how to map today!. You may rate me here.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #673983

warbluke wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:43 am
Armhulen wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:21 am This is super dope but I wouldn't constrain yourself to hard rules like "no open space"
Love the uniqueness
>Make a joke map with intentionally terrible design
>People offer constructive criticism and encouragement
Thanks I guess! In reality the reason I removed the open space is that I just like maintenance and tried to put as much as I could around the map.
Where's the joke bro it's pretty fuckin neat!
Capsandi
Byond Username: Capsandi

Post by Capsandi » #673995

This rules, but I am biased since I can see my own work in it
Timonk wrote:
Wesoda25 wrote:Genuinely think they should be blacklisted.
You have clearly never seen his dick
Lower your tone with me if your tracked play time doesn't look like this:
Flatulent wrote:of course you can change religion doing it while islamic however makes you lose your head from happiness
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Rageguy505

Post by Rageguy505 » #674165

If you give me this map ill run it sometime
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #674420

Rageguy505 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 pm If you give me this map ill run it sometime
My hope was to one day get Richie to run it on Bagil for a gimmick round, so go wild with it!
https://gofile.io/d/oV2BJQ (Tell me if the link fucked up)
Warning: It is a few months out of date with the codebase, It has no atmos system, it has no powernet, I can't remember if I shoved gravgen in at any point. Your best bet would be to run it as a "The crew is trapped on a derelict" style event or something"
Post some screenshots if you go through with it, I want to see the sheer horror of the player's reactions.
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin

Post by Rageguy505 » #674484

yeah, missing some areas and it has a floating box station atmos system that wasnt in the screenshots. But its very cool i like it.
Misdoubtful
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Misdoubtful

Post by Misdoubtful » #674487

This actually looks like a deathtrap, respect.
Hugs
warbluke

Post by warbluke » #674488

Rageguy505 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:08 pm yeah, missing some areas and it has a floating box station atmos system that wasnt in the screenshots. But its very cool i like it.
That's the organ doner/template I was using while working on shutmos.
Rageguy505
In-Game Admin

Post by Rageguy505 » #674489

i figured. also i dont think you need to model the escape pods you just need to put in the dock and it loads the pods when the map loads