Away missions 2: Rebirth

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Shadowlight213
Byond Username: Shadowlight213
Github Username: Shadowlight213

Away missions 2: Rebirth

Post by Shadowlight213 » #124952

I've fixed up away missions so they actually can run without crashing the server now.

However, content wise they havent been balanced and there's still likely a number of bugs remaining with them.

HOW TO ENABLE AWAY MISSIONS ON YOUR SERVER:
1. In your tg-station folder, go to _maps/RandomZLevels/fileList.txt and remove the # in front of the away mission maps you want to enable.
2. IMPORTANT! Go to your config folder and uncomment or add this line without the quotation marks to your space_levels.txt: "Away Mission;8;unlinked". MAKE SURE THIS LINE IS ONLY UNCOMMENTED WHEN AWAY MISSIONS ARE ENABLED OR IT WILL CAUSE RUNTIMES!
3. You can set the delay before the gateway is enabled in the game_options.txt config.

Feedback for content balancing and bugs welcome.
Also, I need someone to help me with the Active turfs at rounstart mapping issue I've been running into.
Aranclanos
Byond Username: Aranclanos

Re: Away missions 2: Rebirth

Post by Aranclanos » #125210

you can fix the bugs, balance and other minor things, but doing so you aren't change what away missions are at the end.
They are awesome the first round, filled with discovery and wonder, but once you played them once or twice they won't change. They'll be the same maps where you arrive, loot it and come back to the station to play SS13.
I accept donations, click here
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #125212

Away Missions work best as one off, rare events yeah.

Unless we get some decent random generation going and some interesting enemies, traps etc. Might give it more replayability.

Roles for ghosts might also breathe life into it.

Still glad to have let a new batch of players experience the exploit free wonder so thank you for that.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #125238

I'm still 100 percent behind the idea of making them an entire roundtype, it can be set to a low percentage, so you see them quite rarely, and they'll be an occasional change of pace from our usual rounds.
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #125240

Goons adventure areas can be accessed anytime. People don't go to them often for a few reasons. I'd think about them.

You have do to some math to access them.
You have to find the secret coordinates if you don't know them already. You still have to do math.
The loot is fucking great, including syndi gear and weapons, but enemies are deadly as fuck and there's puzzles.
Enemies gib the shit out of you and stun lock you.
You absolutely must prepare before you enter them or you die.
Their portal drains energy very fast, so a good power supply is needed.

Their areas are the same every round and after 2 years of analyzing them for endgame, it's still interesting.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125277

That's essentially what I'd like to aim for. Something like what goon has. Their areas haven't grown stale and are good end game content.
Deitus
Byond Username: Deitus

Post by Deitus » #125281

oranges wrote:I'm still 100 percent behind the idea of making them an entire roundtype, it can be set to a low percentage, so you see them quite rarely, and they'll be an occasional change of pace from our usual rounds.
this actually sounds like an awesome idea. when i joined /tg/ the gateway was already disabled so im really behind any away missions being active. the only problem i can see that might have already been known about/have rules in place for is the "fucking off into space" principle: that is, when engineers grab a hardsuit and fuck off into space when they are needed around the station. who gets to go on away missions, and under what circumstances? like i dont think the captain should be able to goose step straight into the gateway at the first call of aaaawperatives and whatnot. again, this is something that has probably been discussed but help a newfag catch up yeah?
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125359

Deitus wrote:
oranges wrote:I'm still 100 percent behind the idea of making them an entire roundtype, it can be set to a low percentage, so you see them quite rarely, and they'll be an occasional change of pace from our usual rounds.
this actually sounds like an awesome idea. when i joined /tg/ the gateway was already disabled so im really behind any away missions being active. the only problem i can see that might have already been known about/have rules in place for is the "fucking off into space" principle: that is, when engineers grab a hardsuit and fuck off into space when they are needed around the station. who gets to go on away missions, and under what circumstances? like i dont think the captain should be able to goose step straight into the gateway at the first call of aaaawperatives and whatnot. again, this is something that has probably been discussed but help a newfag catch up yeah?
Stuff like the nuke disk and the nuke cant be sent through the gateway.
oranges idea was to make the crew need to go retrieve an item from an away mission or something to succeed. While that sounds cool, I'm worried about people leaving the station and the possibility of no one being left to call the shuttle.

As for the gateway itself, I'm thinking of adding some extra requirements to operate it, such as it draining tons of power like a power sink.
Thunder11
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Thunder12345
Github Username: Thunder12345

Post by Thunder11 » #125427

Kor wrote:Away Missions work best as one off, rare events yeah.

Unless we get some decent random generation going and some interesting enemies, traps etc. Might give it more replayability.

Still glad to have let a new batch of players experience the exploit free wonder so thank you for that.
This is an automated public service announcement
REMIE ALREADY CODED A WHOLE RANDOM GENERATOR GO USE IT ALREADY
This was an automated public service announcement
ImageImage
Spoiler:
IcePacks wrote:
MrFoster wrote:Back in my day, we didn't complain about lag! We used it to queue attacks!
That's thinking on your feet, soldier!
Quality Paprika from #coderbus wrote:[11:35.52] <paprika> holy crap so yeah i don't care about your opinion at all
oranges wrote:
Excuse me? Thats for sensible and calm rational debate, not for senseless whining.
Resident Catmin, please direct catposting to: https://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=5578
DaemonBomb
Byond Username: Daemonbomb

Post by DaemonBomb » #125430

palpatine213 wrote: As for the gateway itself, I'm thinking of adding some extra requirements to operate it, such as it draining tons of power like a power sink.
I like this idea, it'd require the engineers to harden the powernet and set up for it. Maybe make the power drain increase with every person who goes through, so not everyone could fuck off into it.
Roze Armitage/Sid Spades/GHEDE.loa
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #125566

DaemonBomb wrote:
palpatine213 wrote: As for the gateway itself, I'm thinking of adding some extra requirements to operate it, such as it draining tons of power like a power sink.
I like this idea, it'd require the engineers to harden the powernet and set up for it. Maybe make the power drain increase with every person who goes through, so not everyone could fuck off into it.
Thunder11 wrote:
Kor wrote:Away Missions work best as one off, rare events yeah.

This is an automated public service announcement
REMIE ALREADY CODED A WHOLE RANDOM GENERATOR GO USE IT ALREADY
This was an automated public service announcement

Implement both of these immediately
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125707

fucking turn off all the pre-WJ away missions are you insane
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #125714

Are you kidding? The outposts with the CO2/Plasma atmospheres were the best ones.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #125735

Saegrimr wrote:Are you kidding? The outposts with the CO2/Plasma atmospheres were the best ones.

I said pre-Wj, ie: Give The Crew Admin Kit: The Mission
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Shadowlight213

Post by Shadowlight213 » #125859

The host is the one who decides which away missions are loaded. They are all turned off by default.
I'm not dropping the pre WJ away missions for now for various reasons.
The biggest reason is that I want to push away missions to be challenging end game things. No offense to WJ, but while his maps are very polished, they are more of a roundstart away mission rather than an endgame one due to mainly being just areas to explore.
I might rebalance difficulty and loot of some of the away missions, but most of the admin kit items you refer to were supposed to only be found in, and specifically made for those away missions(I'm assuming you are referring to the map specific loot).
The issue I've run into on gateway powersinks is that the singulo makes so much power that it's extremely difficult to find a well balanced drain level for it. Also the gateway was changed to use apc power for some reason at some point in time, I need to work on changing that.
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #125867

We tried the gateway being a powersink originally it was dumb.

If we want quiet missions as well as the murderfests we should put them in different folders and have the gate time be dependent on which folder it picked from. No sense in waiting half an hour for the beach
DrPillzRedux
Rarely plays
Byond Username: DrPillzRedux

Post by DrPillzRedux » #125893

Make the gate consume power rapidly for when it's on. Allow people to turn it off to conserve power. That way there's a cost to it and a risk if you aren't maintaining the station. Engine fails? Gate's staying down.
thot_slayer wrote:don't be a degenerate online if you don't want people to treat you like a degenerate morty
bandit wrote:what is this

a correct post by pillz
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #125899

That could be amusing if you have to power the other side, in order to get back.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #125926

If we're really worried about people fucking off through the gateway, we could make a new Away Team job.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #125944

lumipharon wrote:That could be amusing if you have to power the other side, in order to get back.
That's some stargate shit right there. Sounds awesome and thematic if somewhat of a pain from a gameplay perspective.
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #128828

Luke Cox wrote:If we're really worried about people fucking off through the gateway, we could make a new Away Team job.
Do it. We need more non-assistant jobslots anyway, and I'm sure assistants would happily sign up for that instead.

Bonus points for equipping them like a mini ERT squad with a commander, 2 secmen, a medic, and an engineer. Secmen/commander get laser guns, medic/engineer gets laser pistols and so forth, with appropriate hardsuits to match. To stem abuse (i.e. people signing up just for the free gear), throw the equipment point in the introduction areas to every away mission, geared as severely or lack thereof as the difficulty of the mission, along with some rechargers. Around halfway through, several ZPMs or whatever could be found, and they'd allow travel back to the station for the rest of the round, bringing any loot and equipment they garnered back with them.

Mite b cool. Especially since then you could have 'UNSCHEDULED OFFWORLD ACTIVATION' events with ops invading from the gateway for maximum cool.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #130415

COUGH GAME MODE COUGH

I'm telling you guys, they're WAY WAY too disruptive to round meta to work in any other fashion

PERIOD, DOT, END OF STORY
Void Slayer
Byond Username: Void Slayer

Post by Void Slayer » #130519

I think something helpful would be a simple addendum to head of staff rules basically requiring you to resign from important positions to go on away missions.

The only downside is changeling/sacrifice objectives where the target fucks off into a gateway and gets himself trapped.. or takes traitor objective items with them.