Off the wall Map ideas

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Off the wall Map ideas

Post by JackHunt » #126510

I've been bored lately and toying around with a few new Map ideas.

The first is a huge biodome with transit tubes running along the center and the departments situated in the middle of quadrants like buildings. There's little to no maint, save for a construction area but there's an abundance of space all around.
Spoiler:
GreenStation.png
The second is based around a station supplying a massive exploration shuttle with mini departments inside it. The crew could then ride it around to different areas and EVA into adventure. It obviously wouldn't work with some roundtypes.
Spoiler:
SSStation.png
What are some of your crazy map ideas?
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Re: Off the wall Map ideas

Post by Incoming » #126544

I'm really digging that biodome idea, but the availability of maint halls and out of sight areas is pretty critical to a lot of antags.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #126547

I've always been a fan of a station with the singularity in the very center.

That, and a station where each department is a mini-station connected by shuttles.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #126549

One day we will make a Space Ship themed map.

The problem with the Ship inside the Station is that the Ship seems redundant at best and a free loot location at worst.
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #126552

Round is bad.
JackHunt
Byond Username: JackHunt

Post by JackHunt » #126564

Straight can be boring, especially big and straight. In systems of cardinal direction movement in round shapes gives a sense of travel as you move long distances since you can't orient yourself to the curve and you progress around it.

I also wrote some hacky tools in python to import .png images into dream maker so round shapes are super easy to make or prototype now.

Our shuttle system is cool and we can probably do a full station-as-a-spaceship map now but it also screws a lot of round types over. Honestly it would make more sense to make the scenery around the ship shuttles and move them to it. Explain the lack of transit as inertial dampeners or something.

The biodome is fun but it's almost too big. There's little maint but run around the back of any building and there's a crap ton of space with no one around. The trick I suspect will be camera placement and making it possible to slink around building without being spotted.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #126610

I dont think it matters if all gametypes work for all maps. In fact maps geared towards certain gametypes would be pretty cool.

My idea was to kinda of steal D20 station's dorfstation mode. Essentially the crew starts in a very small bare-bones station, and has to build it up and upgrade it by salvaging parts from the surrounding areas to make a better station. Maybe we could fluff it as a shuttle crashing in to an asteroid belt and the crew needs to survive/thrive as well as possible, maybe fighting off admin directed threats and the like. Would need a whole map created specifically for this purpose, but i think it would be really cool and maybe encourage RP and less focus on MUHVALIDKILLS
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
TrustyGun
Byond Username: TrustyGun

Post by TrustyGun » #126623

Wyzack wrote: My idea was to kinda of steal D20 station's dorfstation mode. Essentially the crew starts in a very small bare-bones station, and has to build it up and upgrade it by salvaging parts from the surrounding areas to make a better station. Maybe we could fluff it as a shuttle crashing in to an asteroid belt and the crew needs to survive/thrive as well as possible, maybe fighting off admin directed threats and the like. Would need a whole map created specifically for this purpose, but i think it would be really cool and maybe encourage RP and less focus on MUHVALIDKILLS
Combine this with the other gamemode idea where you fly around space in a shuttle, and this would be absolutely genius
Usually Julian Mackabee or K.I.N.G
invisty
Byond Username: Invisty

Post by invisty » #126626

A lightly symmetric station with "pods" for each major department (med/sec/eng/cargo/sci), connected to the station backbone (bridge, central hall, etc) via connecting corridors that have emergency pod-locks. The map would select big/medium/small pods according to the server population at load time.
Mime: Depresso
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #126634

A biosphere sounds badass, we need an excuse to sprite more potted plants anyway
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #126636

After datum antags comes out (EVENTUALLY) it's not unforeseeable that we could add a little metadata to maps to disallow certain round types/antagonist types from them. But until then it's probably a good idea to try and keep maps from being completely hostile to certain antags.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!