About greyscale sprites

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Smoopadoop
Byond Username: Smoopadoop

About greyscale sprites

Post by Smoopadoop » #168082

You know the thing people do where they make a sprite grey so that they can have a few different coloured versions of it ingame, by doing fancy coding/art magic?

Do we do that with skin/scale colors? Or are they their own sprites?
CAN we do it with skin colors? Like is it possible within BYOND?
And if I make some greyscale sprites, is there anything specific I need to do to make them work with BYOND? Like, do I need to use a specific palette? Or just slap any old gray or what
And, if my sprite is also transparent, would that clash with whatever we do to colourize grey sprites?

ty
Mains:
David Bellic the Scientist (usually)
Guy Fieri the Cook (not anymore)
Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Re: About greyscale sprites

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #168146

Lizards are colored by greyscale, as are slimepeople and plantpeople.
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #168150

Hidden deep in the source code is a file that explains how to preview byond colorization in photoshop.

If vibrancy is your goal you should whitescale the sprite to make it as vivid as possible
If detail is your goal you should work with greyscale sprites with good contrast between the shades

https://github.com/tgstation/-tg-statio ... toshop.psd
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
MisterPerson
Board Moderator
Byond Username: MisterPerson

Post by MisterPerson » #168418

Everything you want to do is completely possible. Transparency will be retained.
I code for the code project and moderate the code sections of the forums.

Feedback is dumb and it doesn't matter