Openstation: when you need a mememap that isnt birdboat

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Openstation: when you need a mememap that isnt birdboat

Post by MMMiracles » #182274

I got bored so I'm remapping openstation from OpenSS13.

(big images)
Source image:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7320/140 ... db86_o.png

Current progress:
http://i.imgur.com/XsCVXXX.png
Got stuck on the powernet a bit, had to do some changes to the original setup but now everything is properly charging and both engines work properly. The red windows in the turbine/TEG rooms are heat/pressure-proof windows to prevent them from breaking, you can still smash 'em if you feel like it. Using the mix chamber as lighting for the engine rooms is pretty cool looking.

Job Changes:
Spoiler:
Science has essentially become a job solely dedicated to making the best bombs. Have fun with that.

Medbay has been combined into 4 generic jobs, Medical Researchers. Decide among yourselves who will be doing the healing/genetics work. No cloner either so have fun with that.

Security consists of 2 officers, a detective, and the HoS. HoS will be the only one with a ranged stun while officers will only get their batons and cuffs. Detective gets thermals for a good reason I'll state later.

Engineering didn't really change except for the loss of the CE. Atmos will be based more around dealing with the eventual plasmafire from one of the 50 plasma canisters onboard.

Cargo doesn't exist. I don't know if I want to latch on a mining shuttle or not due to how much content that's essentially being stripped away.

Assistants were apparently at one point suppose to actually assist departments, including security. Good joke.
Uplink Changes:
Spoiler:
Most of the newer stuff is going to either be stripped completely. The traitor's arsenal is going to consist mostly of the essentials. Nuke Ops will be stripped heavily as well, leaving them with basic items like the softsuits and generic revolvers instead of the fuck-load of other random shit they have. Also I re-added a cloaker so there you go.
Last edited by MMMiracles on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Re: Openstation: when you need a mememap that isnt birdboat

Post by Anonmare » #182333

So are you re-makign it as is, warts and all?
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #182338

Jesus christ.
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #182354

Holy shit. I never put it together that the current Derelict is just a beat-up version of the old Openstation
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #182357

Wait, people didn't know it was OpenStation? Well, the south solars are different in the derelict and there's other bits that are off too but I thought it was kind of obvious.

Does this make me a nerd?
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #182367

Theres a couple of walkways leading to other parts that really don't look similar.

Basically the northernmost solars and medbay/chapel are the only parts I recognize. The rest is kinda too wrecked to identify well enough.
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #182370

Well here's what the derelict looks like in game, from my older PR that uplifed the derelict a bit.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 06b735.png
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #182499

Update: Most departmental stuff is mapped in, still deciding between leaving departments the generic gray tiling or making them color-coded so its a little less painful when trying to navigate this maze of plasma canisters and no floor scrubbers.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #182502

MMMiracles wrote:Update: Most departmental stuff is mapped in, still deciding between leaving departments the generic gray tiling or making them color-coded so its a little less painful when trying to navigate this maze of plasma canisters and no floor scrubbers.
gray or gay
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #182818

updated main post with progress and some other stuff.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #182826

Just make an exact 1:1 copy of the map for now and then change things up once its done. I can already see a lot of liberties youve taken with the map like adding wooden closets to dorms you shouldnt do that. Also fyi the access on openss13 is very weird so it might help if you understand it so you can make the doors accurately reflect what was required on the original station

Basically theres 4 digits that a doors permission is defined by. Each different number equates to a different type of access, the exact order of which i forget, but the first one is the general 'station access' which means basically the prestige of your card you could call it? The higher the number the higher priority your job. The other three numbers are for science medical and engine and the digits can range from 0-5 to indicate how high your access for that department is. So for example an engineering door would have a permission level of 2500. That means your station access is 2 and your engineering access is 5 which is the absolute highest

The station access digit is different from the others. While you need the exact number for the other three (which means a door of 2300 cant be entered with an id of 2500) the first digit simply defines a minimum. So a door with an access of 2000 can be entered with an id of 3000. Only this digit works like that

This system created some abnormalities on openss13 but they shouldnt be a problem anymore. For example escape cannot be entered by technical or medical assistants since the door i think was 2000 and their station access levels are both set to 1. Those were the only jobs that couldnt enter escape and since tg doesnt have those anymore there isnt a problem anymore

Hopefully this helps. It might be annoying to decrypt some of the access levels and chances are some combinations may not have an exact equivalent to the system tg uses now. So basically just figure out what your door is asking for (If it asks for a station access of 2 and a medical access of 5 then only doctors can enter for example) and go through the list in access.dm to find what looks to be the modern day equivalent. Good luck

EDIT: Other weird things to watch out for that your map should accurately translate:
- Windows didnt have plating under them just normal floors
- Almost all windows on station are normal ones instead of reinforced. I think only windows protecting the station from space are reinforced. Your chapel windows look pretty wonky in that respect
- Air alarms fire alarms and apcs werent pixel shifted on the wall. They were just on the floor
- Windoors used to protect regular airlocks and were used more often that full doors. Nowadays they wont serve the same function since they were made destructible but theyll still serve an aesthetic purpose
- That air bridge isnt in code anymore so good luck with making something similar
- There was no atmospherics room or pipes on originalstation. Instead there were regulatory pumps and vents that simply did what the current ones do without the aid of pipes. They just produced and removed air with code magic. So removed air was just deleted and new air was just created instead of being sourced from an entire room. Its not going to be fun to have to tack on something as large as an atmos room onto the station but if you want an idea of what was functional on openss13 code look at the map image for donut station 1 on the goon wiki. Its to the extreme left. Theres basically no room for modification and it operates incredibly different from today but hypothetically it will work.
- I dont know if youre just using the reference image or if youre actually looking at openss13 in dm but i would recommend accurately recreating the wiring instead of doing it yourself
tedward1337
Byond Username: Tedward1337

Post by tedward1337 » #182852

>cloaker
Fuck YEAH
Major T on Steam/IRC/Twitch/everything else.
Game Admin
PM anytime with questions about the server, policies or for fun!
Spoiler:
<hg|work> why do we unban people
OOC: Shaps: pizza status: fucking delivered
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #182863

Most of the liberties I've taken were pixel-shifting APCs, intercoms, airalarms, and extinguishers on the wall due to just looking better than sitting on the ground. The actual positions of them didn't change, I'm just trying to tidy things up a bit to look nicer in general.

Any interior windows you see that are(nt) reinforced are directly copied from the reference image in the OP, as the 500-compilable version of OpenSS13 I found crashes when I try to open the map itself.

If I do tack on a functional atmos after I'm done with everything else, it'll probably replace the exterior TEG (why does this exist anyway?) Wiring is visible on the reference map so keeping faithful to that should be extremely easy.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #183065

give nukies special revolvers that do way way way more pistolwhip damage while youre at it so its more accurate
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #183537

OP updated with progress. All I need to do at this point is finish wiring up the dorms, security, atmos storage, then adding a camera network.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #210972

is this still being worked on?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #211127

cocothegogo wrote:is this still being worked on?
From waning interest, limited free time, and my HDD that held the work being bricked, I'd say probably not anytime soon.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #211220

MMMiracles wrote:
cocothegogo wrote:is this still being worked on?
From waning interest
I am extremely interested
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #282501

finish it!
Spoiler:
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #282506

PKPenguin321 wrote:finish it!
Limey wrote:its too late.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #282572

I dug through my local branches after being reminded of it from this thread, couldn't find the map or any progress.

RIP.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin

Post by PKPenguin321 » #283034

in the arms
of
an angel
fly awaaaay
from here
Spoiler:
Slignerd
Github User
Byond Username: Slignerd
Github Username: Slignerd

Post by Slignerd » #283143

Steelpoint wrote:Well here's what the derelict looks like in game, from my older PR that uplifed the derelict a bit.

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/ass ... 06b735.png
Holy shit, couldn't you have actually tried to piece it together properly?
It would appear that I'm a high RP weeb who hates roleplay and anime.