Original non-station, non-space map

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
J_Madison
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Akesson

Original non-station, non-space map

Post by J_Madison » #183615

The Nanotrasen crew find themselves marooned on a cold barren planet after an engine explosion due to improperly submitted flight plans.

Due to escape shuttles following the bigger shuttle, all escape pods have crashed with no survivors.

Following the crash, Emergancy Bluespace departmental shelter capsules are dispersed from the ship.
Majority of the crew escape from the wreckage. A few other crew members that fall out didn't fly so good.

It is up to the crew to return to CentComm from this barren, cold planet.

The crew are not alone.

http://puu.sh/pfJKI/4cb8942410.png

Urbex exploration, Innawoods, survival experience.
Lots of PVM, story, exploration, and unique PVP scenarios.

Not revealing a lot, but imagine getting shot in the darkness of the woods. Your killer can and will vanish into forest.
ShadowDimentio
Byond Username: David273

Re: Original non-station, non-space map

Post by ShadowDimentio » #183616

Sounds sick man.

Really there's no excuse to not include a full map though. As long as ghosting/code diving is a thing you won't be keeping any secrets from the crew.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

"Penguins are the second race to realise 2D>3D"
-Anonmare

"Paul Blart mall cops if they all had ambitions of joining the Waffen-SS"
-Anonmare

"These logs could kill a dragon much less a man"
-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? POETIC ANARCHY!"
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

"There's a difference between fucking faggots and being a fucking faggot."
-Anonmare

"You guys splitting the 20 bucks cost to hire your ex again?"
-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

"I prefer my coffees to run dry too *snorts a line of maxwell house*"
-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

">Paying over a $1000 for a lump of silicon and plastic
Lol"
-Anonmare

"Then why did you get that boob job?"
-DrPillzRedux

"You take that back you colonial mongrel"
-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183617

Looks pretty cool
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #183620

ShadowDimentio wrote:Sounds sick man.

Really there's no excuse to not include a full map though. As long as ghosting/code diving is a thing you won't be keeping any secrets from the crew.
I got lost in my own map, which is funny because I had to spawn myself NVG mesons due to having no clue where I was during testing.
Man_Shroom
Byond Username: Man_Shroom

Post by Man_Shroom » #183621

I assume that this will be run as a special round wherein admins load this map and the normal gamemodes don't occur

This is also probably why J_mad isn't revealing everything yet, to prevent people from regularly gaming all the info.
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #183624

I want to at least see the map though.
Spoiler:
"Clowns are different you can't trust those shifty fucks you never know what they're doing or if they're willing to eat a dayban for some cheap yuks."
-Not-Dorsidarf

"The amount of people is the amount of times the sound is played... on top of itself. And with sybil populations on the shuttle..."
-Remie Richards

"I just spent all fucking day playing fallen london and sunless sea and obsessing over how creepy the fucking dawn machine is and only just clocked now that your avatar is the fucking dawn machine. Nobody vote for this disgusting new sequence blasphemer he wants to kill the gods"
-Stickymayhem

"Drank a cocktail of orange Gatorade and mint mouthwash on accident. Pretty sure I'm going to die, I am on the verge of vomit. It was nice knowing you guys"
-PKPenguin321

"You're too late, you will have to fetch them from the top of my tower, built by zombies, slaves, zombie slaves and garitho's will to live!"
-Armhulen

"This is like being cooked alive in a microwave oven which utilises the autistic end of the light spectrum to cook you."
-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

"We didn't kick one goofball out only to have another one come in like a fucking revolving door"
-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

"Wew. Congrats. It's been actual years since anyone tried to make fun of me for being divorced. You caught me, I'm tilted. Here is your trophy."
-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

"You don't have an evil bone in your body, unless togopal comes for a sleepover"
-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

"I don't care whether or not someone with an IQ 3 standard deviations below my own thinks they enjoy Wizard rounds."
-Malkraz
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #183625

zlevels will be other areas in the planet.
you can hunt lizards to suit my evil anti lizard agenda, and some towns.

I need to look over zlevel transition code or ask Remie for her stairs code.

Wooden doors are very creepy sounding, which makes it all the more interesting
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Post by Nienhaus » #183630

Message me if you need sprites for this.
Hey.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #183634

DID SOMEONE SAY SNOWDIN 2?

Please bring back snowops...
Hibbles
Byond Username: HotelBravoLima

Post by Hibbles » #183666

I'm a big sucker for planetary maps. I still remember with great fondness when we ran Jungle Outpost for a few rounds, and it was glorious, despite also being horrendously broken.
RIP
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #183701

If there was some operating going on, I'm not sure on how the execution would be. Maybe NukeOps land on a boarding shuttle and make their way across forest. Maybe custom NukeOps.

Blob will have to be disabled, as with quite a few game modes. I cannot imagine playing gang on a map with so few APCs, or cult where you can hide anywhere. Revolution would be pretty annoying to play when the crew is huddled together and command-sec are so heavily armed.

One wrong move and the target would just vanish into the forest creating a search and eliminate round.

I'm not quite sure what custom sprites I'll need but more so sounds. I do have a large pack of sounds which I hope I can use depending on license.

SawuNPCs are under consideration too.
Eaglendia
Byond Username: Eaglendia

Post by Eaglendia » #183710

J_Madison wrote:If there was some operating going on, I'm not sure on how the execution would be. Maybe NukeOps land on a boarding shuttle and make their way across forest. Maybe custom NukeOps.

Blob will have to be disabled, as with quite a few game modes. I cannot imagine playing gang on a map with so few APCs, or cult where you can hide anywhere. Revolution would be pretty annoying to play when the crew is huddled together and command-sec are so heavily armed.

One wrong move and the target would just vanish into the forest creating a search and eliminate round.

I'm not quite sure what custom sprites I'll need but more so sounds. I do have a large pack of sounds which I hope I can use depending on license.

SawuNPCs are under consideration too.
That's how Nuke worked on JungleStation pretty much, and it went well - about as well as anything could have gone on JungleStation, anyway. IIRC, they either had a couple of hover bikes on their shuttle or could purchase them with TC. You might consider an alternate objective, however; it still works gameplay-wise, but detonating a nuke on top of what amounts to a research-oriented refugee camp seems a little inglorious.

What does Gang have to do with APC count? Though, you have brought to mind the question of a power system - supermatter would work, but more appropriate would be a new system, some sort of generator that requires periodic interaction in the form of maintenance or upkeep, either having someone come by and interact with it to keep things in line and uniform across the compound, or just depositing minerals every once in a while to keep the power on. Likewise, a gravity generator isn't required on a planet, and I can't imagine an AI would be highly relevant either (though nothing would stop you from building one if you gather the materials), so all this will have to be considered alongside one or two other major points of interest for compound upkeep and sabotage.

Cult would probably be alright - they can already teleport between Z levels in space. Revolution is hard to gauge; you'd probably have to test it out assuming this project comes to fruition. On the station map, keep in mind that heads and rev leaders are eliminated for leaving the station Z level. This limitation isn't so easily applied to a non-space map, but simply making locations outside the compound suitably dangerous would help. There's also the tradeoff of a land-based map making it more difficult for heads of staff to do things like hide in space on the station Z-level.

Random events would probably be a much bigger deal on a planet where you have things such as weather to consider - the temperature could change periodically, for one, making external areas too cold or hot to traverse for extended periods without the proper equipment. The major buildings of the compound, of course, would each have their own sort of climate control system, insulating them from these effects (and giving atmospherics technicians a place here that's arguably more important than their place on our space station). Rainstorms would wash away blood trails, gibs, and tracks in the woods; harsh cloud cover would reduce visibility, and rare ash storms would be invariably lethal to anyone who can't make it into a protected area. A meteorite might touch down nearby, potentially bringing deposits of rare minerals close to the station, unearthing alien artifacts, or sparking forest fires; in a particularly unlucky case, such an event might utterly obliterate a building or two with little warning other than an ominous shadow overhead followed by a sudden, oppressive heat as the clouds overhead part to provide thoroughfare.

Basically, what's going to make this cool is making it feel like it's more than just an away mission - and that's going to take work.
╔═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗
Millian MacTavish • Braids Grenades • Eliott Graves • Tyrell Stone
In-game trialmin; certified boomer.
Be rational, be responsible, and be excellent to eachother.
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Trialmin ReviewAlways better, never perfect.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #183716

My thoughts on a fully armed syndicate nuke team attacking stranded refugee camps as same as yours.
The other consideration I had was some kind of fight where "some kind of armed group" had a job to steal the "Nanotrasen hyperspace sequencer" and detonate a nanite bomb.

Ideas are only on paper, but it would be a very bloody fight considering the terrain and low light.

Gang tags are based on APCs. A room without an APC cannot be tagged. Not to mention "Psyke gang takeover in forest" would be difficult to track down.

Cult would be interesting, especially if some Tom dick or Harry walks into a ritual in the middle of a forest. Blair witch project basically.

Revolution would be a wild hunt for the hardest to kill animal; another player.

the first zlevel with the many forests is the safest. Other zlevels will feature clear warnings in the form of corpses of the dangers of wolves, bears, lizards, and who knows what else. It shouldn't be a surprise that players will die following a blood trail that leads to a locked room.

For random events, I would definitely consider implementing a weather system for the less safer areas. Blizzards is one thing to come to mind.

One idea I had in mind was satellite crashes which would bring with it electronic parts and batteries.

Heat is generated with space heaters, and potentially fires if I get around to coding fireplaces.

Power will be a very scary prospect. Most players rarely see power loss as a problem. Power will be mostly generated using the Pacman engines from the engineer capsule and plasma they can salvage from the engine, or from elsewhere.

The coldness makes a very interesting feature that creative players can do; since the map is cold, cryogenics can theoretically work with piping outside.

Many jobs will have their roles changed. Shaft miners will likely be explorers and hunters, cargo crew salvagers, botanists more responsible for food and lumberjack.

I wonder if chemists are good enough to work with little use of Chem dispensers. I'll allocate a healthy amount of chemicals, but thinking of chemists in 2555 working like chemists in 1900 using beakers and droppers makes me laugh.

My biggest fear is the endgame system. I would like to imagine two endings, one results in a syndicate rescue ship and the other results in a Nanotrasen rescue ship.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #183735

An arrr peeee style gang mode would be fun. Imagine a couple gangers with bats loitering outside of an establishment. Two rival gangers walk up, talk smack, one pulls a switchblade and a good old fashioned rumble occurs. I wonder if our players could handle objectiveless gang
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #183841

http://puu.sh/pgVbc/6f368f3792.jpg

Concept mapping for clockwise from top left

"Hut", "accident"
"Factory", "firing squad"

I might start some work on a different kind of environment that connects to this, later.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #183920

looks more like an away mission than a full blown map? or was that what you were going for
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #184016

PKPenguin321 wrote:looks more like an away mission than a full blown map? or was that what you were going for
its a full blown map, but I'm not releasing many screenshots of it. just specific locations, hence why it looks very "away mission".

the map is a full 255^2 each zlevel with locations, places, and such on each. A good amount of the map is indeed the environment, but I'll be adding NPCs, SNPCs, and the such to the content.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #184252

If its stuck on planet then that means that if xenos shows up, were gonna need predator to come in to kill the rest of them and then team up with some black chick to fight the queen.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #184254

Is there an ETA for when this is going to be play ready? Because it looks pretty cool
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Lumbermancer
Byond Username: Lumbermancer

Post by Lumbermancer » #184266

Building a whole station around gimmick is better than trying to incorporate it into existing design or throwing it behind gateway. So this kind of a PvE i can get behind.

I would assume this map wouldn't have normal antag rotation?
aka Schlomo Gaskin aka Guru Meditation aka Copyright Alright aka Topkek McHonk aka Le Rouge
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #184291

Lumbermancer wrote:Building a whole station around gimmick is better than trying to incorporate it into existing design or throwing it behind gateway. So this kind of a PvE i can get behind.

I would assume this map wouldn't have normal antag rotation?
theoretically most antags should work fine

traitor should work fine. may have to disable bombs.
changeling fine, maybe few tweaks
DA - should be okay, but everyone is so goddamn close to eachother at roundstart
nuke - no.
rev - good god i don't want to think about it.
cult - too difficult if they hide away. blair witch project when someone accidentally walks onto the cult in the forest
wizard - no.
AI malfunction - no.
shadowling - way too overpowered in the dark forest.
ratvar - eh. unsure.
Wyzack wrote:Is there an ETA for when this is going to be play ready? Because it looks pretty cool
no ETA just yet, need to get the map optimised. some minor things causing problems (tiles are oxyless despite attempts to fix this). also need to get custom Zlevel torus setups working.

and a total of about 9 zlevels to map
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #184296

Why not just make nuke ops the snow ops from snowdin
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #184301

Armhulen wrote:Why not just make nuke ops the snow ops from snowdin
because they'd probably get killed by motostrelki, one of the main factions on the planet.

not to mention it would be strange fight and hard to fight in the snow.

Edit;
I am highly considering an exclusive operator gamemode which uses same/similar aspects but different enemies. Rather that syndicate I might consider instead the something else.

Work as begun on the third zlevel, Z3. Z1 is practically complete. Z2 is almost finished.

I'll need to work with Sawu to get new AI up and running. Sprites later.

Edit 2;
Follow the dirt and sand road, there is a military base owned by a company (80-150 soldiers) of the New Russian Motostrelki.
A platoon of soldiers, the Major and his personal guards operate the base.

You are welcome to take refuge in the grounds due to Nanotrasen diplomacy. However dragging, attacking, or stealing from any soldier will result in lethal retaliation. Due to attacks on their scouts and scouting base by the native species, they have a shoot to kill policy on anything that looks like native wildlife.

Nearby to a frozen lake are snowlizards settlements, towns, and village. They are very hostile to outsiders because they are very often shot at and killed by the Motostrelki during raids to steal space heaters and fuel.

Far from the military base, is a harsh forest and hunting ground.
Bears, wolves, and who knows what else skulk the forest for prey.

Closer to the military base is a small city, once bustling with life. Some facility still exists. Scavengers, tresspassers, adventurers, loners, killers, explorers, and robbers prowl the once proud city. Perimeter is under lockdown by Motostrelki. All civilian inhabitants have been evacuated and relocated.
MrEousTranger
Byond Username: Mr.EousTranger

Post by MrEousTranger » #186476

J_Madison wrote: Edit 2;
Follow the dirt and sand road, there is a military base owned by a company (80-150 soldiers) of the New Russian Motostrelki.

You are welcome to take refuge in the grounds due to Nanotrasen diplomacy. However dragging, attacking, or stealing from any soldier will result in lethal retaliation. Due to attacks on their scouts and scouting base by the native species, they have a shoot to kill policy on anything that looks like native wildlife.

Nearby to a frozen lake are snowlizards settlements, towns, and village. They are very hostile to outsiders because they are very often shot at and killed by the Motostrelki during raids to steal space heaters and fuel.

Closer to the military base is a small city, once bustling with life. Some facility still exists. Scavengers, tresspassers, adventurers, loners, killers, explorers, and robbers prowl the once proud city. Perimeter is under lockdown by Motostrelki. All civilian inhabitants have been evacuated and relocated.
What you just said was quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever heard.
One person on this planet wrote:Wow you're funny and original Eous
I don't play often but when I do I'm Kyp Astar normally a sec role unless I'm bored and go assistant.
Armhulen
Global Moderator

Post by Armhulen » #186480

J_Madison wrote: Follow the dirt and sand road, there is a military base owned by a company (80-150 soldiers) of the New Russian Motostrelki.

L O R E M A S T E R
I like it, good shit
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #190740

Work has been made on an initial hospital setup.
Highly considering making the city and entire alternative zlevel.

Maybe cyberpunk theme. But I'm not into cyberpunk.

Biggest difficulty is working in top down 2D and trying not to get a sense of dead. Even Pokemon is 3/4 2D enough to display massive buildings on a big scale, but SS13 really can't do massive buildings.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #191371

Do not tread unexplored grounds alone.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #191372

Still breddy hybe for this
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #191443

Remember to remove all mesons from the map
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #191496

righto. i should probably insert a witty lore reason for that.

I'm trying to get the atmosphere and feeling of an abandoned hospital just right.
maybe it isn't big enough.
Then I'll try and get some creepy NPCs to roam about and scream at you. I have some old lingseeks screaming sounds I could probably use, or I could mess with licensing and try and pull some old game sound files I have.

I really want to emphasise the "you shouldn't have come here" feeling when exploring the facility and maximise player's fear by making escape from an encounter almost hopeless.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #191534

never forget junglestation
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #191604

This is not a station. Does jungle station's files still exist?

Been reading some /k/ skin walker, fleshgait, goatman inawoods stories. I've got some creepy as shit ideas to try out.

Dying is fun. And so is exploring. That's twice the fun.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #193851

experiment with multi level buildings. windows will not be in final map due to how tgstation mapping works unlike lifeweb.

underground sewer system mapped over "hospital". highly considering an entire metro system.

it is mapped over so X, Y levels fit perfectly over eachother. one screenshot shows the upstairs watchroom of the hospital.

currently theoretical zlevels are:
1; starting - complete
2; endgame (centcomm, nukeop ect) - haven't started
3; military base - complete
4; hospital - completing/completed.
5; lake/lizard village(s) - outlined.
6; settlement-refugee camp
7; deep forest
8; deep forest
9; deep forest
10; lizard hunting forest
11; metro-sewer for zlevel 3
12; metro-sewer for zlevel 4 - working on it.
13; metrosewer for zlevel 6

note metrosewer levels are indestructible and can contain upstairs or downstairs zlevels.
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #193907

for multi level buildings, couldnt you do what the escape shuttle does and teleport people to the zlevel below it? (or at the very least make 2nd story+ windows indestructable)
IE: jump out a window and you will take 70 brute and cut yourself on glass ect ect

do you plan to implement loads of shit that goes along with what the current station miners have now, that being the survivor ultra tactical usefulness kind of bullshit.
additionally, would you think it would be a good idea to implement more meaningless items, things like clutter and what not. (shelves stacked with empty boxes containing empty plastic bottles, tape roles, plastic covers, rubber tubbing, nylon straps, tinier pipes, paint thinner bottles, knocked over trashcans, marbles, tape measurers, ect ect.) It might add to the whole "on a cold barren planet that got fucked over and now we are here) kind of feel
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Not-Dorsidarf
Byond Username: Dorsidwarf

Post by Not-Dorsidarf » #193915

This will probbably be a lot less atmospheric when there's 10 people with flashlights and flares
kieth4 wrote: infrequently shitting yourself is fine imo
There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.
Player who complainted over being killed for looting cap office wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 am Hey there, I'm Virescent, the super evil person who made the stupid appeal and didn't think it through enough. Just came here to say: screech, retards. Screech and writhe like the worms you are. Your pathetic little cries will keep echoing around for a while before quietting down. There is one great outcome from this: I rised up the blood pressure of some of you shitheads and lowered your lifespan. I'm honestly tempted to do this more often just to see you screech and writhe more, but that wouldn't be cool of me. So come on haters, show me some more of your high blood pressure please. 🖕🖕🖕
ShadowDimentio

Post by ShadowDimentio » #193925

Flashlights will need to be super rare, which is impossible- lathes can print out a million and even if there aren't any people will just hoard the avaliable lights so ~they~ can see, fuck the poor saps who have no lights.

Also make metrosewer levels destructible in that the tunnels are lined with indestructible (or just hard to break) walls, whilst the rest is just rock you can mine for the rare ore.

Also also you could try canibalizing some code from how falling out shuttles work for the upper z-levels. Hell you could even use a blizzard-like motion thingy like the moving space while in transit for a reason why you couldn't really see anything, thus letting you include windows in higher levels.
Spoiler:
-Not-Dorsidarf

-Remie Richards

-Stickymayhem

-PKPenguin321

-Armhulen

-DarkFNC

-Anonmare

-Anonmare

-Armhulenn

">7 8 6
-Wyzack

-Kraseo

-Anonmare

-lntigracy

-Timbrewolf

-Super Aggro Crag

-Bluespace

Lol"
-Anonmare

-DrPillzRedux

-Docprofsmith

-Malkraz
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #193942

The issue with falling out of stuff is something MSO pointed out; you cannot actually see anyone below you. Which isn't a major problem but creates an unrealistic gameplay issue. There are limits of top down as he says. Though I'm tempted to permafrost the windows as an excuse to why you can't see anything clearly.

It isn't impossible to see what's below you on zlevels. See for instance lifeweb. Unfortunately nobody has shown any sign of knowing how to code "half zlevels"; a different zlevel on the same zlevel and map, interconnecting with eachother.

I will be adding lots of clutter, NPCs, loot, junk, and places to explore after I outline the maps.
There isn't going to be a chunk that doesn't have content. Of course you won't be the only one to be squatting around for loot.

For more resticted areas of the map, I'll talk to kor about implementing a weather system.
The only torches available on this map will be some sec lights, flares, penlights, and small lighting items. Mesons, headlights and normal torches will be damaged and unusable due to the crash. I'm also tempted to break PDAs, but a small amount of light creates atmosphere. Flares are obviously in limited quantities (2-3 flares at most) and don't last forever.

Now a big focus on the hopelessness and dying is fun is the medical system. aside from the smal quantities on the shuttle (which is far away), which is fiercely fought over, you will have very little access to medical goods. bandages, ointment are rare to find. You might find something to drink from, but if you're bleeding, and bogging down your exploration team, you're probably going to die.

Miners will keep a majority of their content, however their focus will probably be on survival, scavenging, and exploring.

Security's role will be the similar, but with also a slight focus on trying to keep things in order.

Anyway if someone steals all the seclights, just kill his ass and drag his corpse into the forest. Headset radios don't work.
And there isn't many station bounced radios.

Enemies in this game are going to be as unforgiving as possible. Going at it alone is almost garuanteed to get yourself killed. anywhere except the starting zlevel and military base (unless you pissed off the soldiers) will have hostile NPCs. Especially the deep forests.
J_Madison
Rarely plays

Post by J_Madison » #204004

Work being done on the abandoned town.