New Gulag Map

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

New Gulag Map

Post by Steelpoint » #13979

This is a offshoot of the "Remove the Gulag" thread that inspired the creation of a new and improved Gulag. Special thanks to TheTerbs and Ikarrus for inspiration, and ShizCalev for competition.

--------------------------------------------------

What is the new Gulag?
It is essentially a new and independent version of the current Gulag, it will be placed either in its own Z-Level or in one of the deep space levels. The objective of the new Gulag is to replace both the old Gulag and the Permanent Prison. The point of the new Gulag is essentially where Security dumps permanent prisoners and forget they exsisted, the process is designed to require as little effort on the Officers part as possible to process and eject people.

The new Gulag is contained on a abandoned mining station/asteroid, contact with the base was lost. Instead of sending in a reclamation team the original owners sold the station to NanoTrasen. Three years later NT set up a smaller Security Section to the south of the old Base, connected the two and have turned it into a new prison asteroid. Space Station 13 is the first station to have access to this Gulag.

The gulag contains very limited supplies, with most of the "good" stuff being held in the extensive mining network.

However, the things that killed the previous crew still lurk the tunnels.

---

Progress on the station goes along steadily, I am far away from completion but I've made great strides thus far and wish to show off my work and gather feedback both in the design of the station, and the actual impementation of the Gulag if it even can be.

The Station is divided into five sections, they are.

- Security Station: The only "new" part of the base, located south of the main base. Cut off from the main base and the entry point for prisoners.

- Docking Port: West of the station, this is where cargo ships and passenger ships would dock and unload.

- Crew Quarters: North of the station, Where the crew mainly lived, contains a kitchen, public bath, personnel quarters and a basic infirmary.

- Mining Station: To the east of the base, this is the starting point for the mining operations of the asteroid and severs as home base. A NT insertion team placed basic mining tools in this area ready to be used by prisoners.

- Asteroid: The asteroid itself, duh!

Here are images of the map thus far.

Security Station
Spoiler:
Gulag Base (Minor censorship bottom right)
Spoiler:
Mining Tunnel plus bonus
Spoiler:
Feedback is appricated, and thanks for reading!

(REMEMBER: ITS STILL HEAVILY WORK IN PROGRESS, THIS IS MOSTLY THE BARE LAYOUT THUS FAR WITH LITTLE AESTHETIC DETAILS)
Last edited by Steelpoint on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: New Gulag Map

Post by paprika » #13983

4040404 links for me.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13985

Fixed, seems Imgur is the way to go.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #13989

It looks like it could support a lot more prisoners than they'd ever have. You could fit a whole department in it. It's a bit excessive.

I know building a prison can be fun but I'd like to avoid Prison Simulation being such a major part of the game.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #13990

The theme of the Gulag is to minimise Security oversight, there will be a communications link from the Gulag to the station mainly for prisoners with a Point Set Limit. The Size of the station. A bit excessive in places yes, I'll be toning it down as I move forward, such as placing the administration room in the centre.

(Oh yeah, the Asteroid itself will be split into two zones, the South and North zones.

The South zone will contain low-yield minerals and items.
The North zone will contain more high-yield minerals and items, but will be lurked by the creatures (Not mining mobs hopefully))
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #14086

i actually really like the huge layout
make prisoners feel more lonely about life on the asteroid
plus its much nicer than what we already have

should probably replace the shitty empty zlevel
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #14132

Empty z-level was explained as the z-level that is meant for people to go through so that it actually takes time to traverse space.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #14145

yeah, and that's stupid
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #14152

So I had ran around in the Gulag for a bit.

Firstly, it looks infinity better in game, the lighting is great and the mining tunnels look good.

The only bad thing is that the
Spoiler:
hivebots
tend to roam around a bit, but they die really easily, like in one hit from a pickaxe. This can be a good thing since I'm going to test out and see how a
Spoiler:
Hivebot Teleporter
would work in the deeper parts of the asteroid.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #14209

Minor Spoilers if relevant.

I intend to use Hivebots as the main hostile mob on the asteroid, mainly in that they are not as insanely deadly as normal mining mobs/mobs in general. The only problem is that it takes a large group of Hivebots to be a worth threat, while being weak individually is great for the inital South Asteroid and minor surprises, I need it to be deadly on the North Asteroid.

My solutions are as follows, I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions on this.

OPTION 1: Simply use a large amount of Hivebots in central locations on the North Asteroid.

OPTION 2: Maintain a smaller amount of Hivebots.

OPTION 3: Manually give select Hivebots a large pool of health and damage dealing.
Spoiler:
Addendum Option 3: There is a alternative Hivebot skin that is golden (Found this out in my Hivebot Gamemode Suggestion thread), what I could do is create a unique Hivebot mob that is based on the Gold skin but has a lot more health and deals far more damage.
By default, these are the stat values to Hivebots.

Health: 15
Damage: 3

The tough versions have 80 Health instead, ranged versions just shoot weak bullets.

My alt version would be.

Health: 60
Damage: 10
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #14348

Really like the idea. Seems a nice way to get rid of certain trouble makers but at the same time not removing them from the game or fun. But with less of a chance of smashing a window into space and get escape like that (like perma seems to be these days).

I like the idea that it is big and spacious so it feels almost lonely and haunting.

As far as hivebots go, could you place groups in some places and single ones in other places. Also I like the idea of a nest or hive that would be swapped with them and littered with bodies and useful items for escape (big risk, big reward etc)
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box
Cheimon
Byond Username: Cheimon

Post by Cheimon » #15206

It's a solid idea, though if I had to criticise it I'd say that at the moment it looks very large and I can't quite see how the ore's reaching the main station, and also what incentives prisoners have to mine thoroughly.

A source of materials from prisoners over time would, however, be great, and even better to merge the currently unused gulag with the currently disliked perma.

Is a conveyor belt really the best way of manipulating someone in? I tend to think the way perma cells do it works much better: you have three of them, so nobody can gang up, you have lockdown capabilities for while you're in there, and it's really easy to stun someone and then withdraw. I'm concerned here that prisoners can simply gang up on the other side of the conveyor and get up in regular enough intervals that the flashes won't force them out.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #15262

I might rearrange the cells so that there are three/four cells in the middle where the Sec Overlook is, so that you are forced into the cell, you strip and change clothing, and the overseer open the outer doors into the Gulag.

When it comes to actually mining, I've had a few ideas. My main idea now is a secondary part to the Sec Outpost where prisoners can go and where all the Ore is sent to. Once here you have to get Sec's attention that you've finished your sentance (Intercom with link to Warden's Office and paper+pen on Camera for AI).