Delta Station

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Delta Station

Post by Okand37 » #192287

Not much to say really, I decided to start mapping a station for real after messing around for a while to get a feel of it. Started on arrivals and made this, separating customs into a command area leaving the security post as a processing center (replaced ID console with prison, customs has med data + id + crew)

Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Re: Delta Station

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #192419

If you made it so the checkpoint could become mandatory, à la Papers Please, that would be pretty nifty.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #192455

A start on atmospherics, including atmospherics very own supermatter shard engine to even the odds between atmospherics and engineering as departments.

DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192458

>giving atmos the S&M
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #192463

DemonFiren wrote:>giving atmos the S&M
snip
It'll be initially boxed up so it doesn't implode every round.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #192722

A little bit too much use of warning lines. If you want to make the borders of your room look more interesting, put departmentally themed tile colors down, like blue/white for medbay or red/grey for security. Warning tiles everywhere where they're not needed is kind of ugly.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #192757

Finally a map that branches out instead of being the same thing in different spots

also
Atlanta-Ned wrote:If you made it so the checkpoint could become mandatory, à la Papers Please, that would be pretty nifty.
I've always wanted this.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #192798

WJohnston wrote:A little bit too much use of warning lines. If you want to make the borders of your room look more interesting, put departmentally themed tile colors down, like blue/white for medbay or red/grey for security. Warning tiles everywhere where they're not needed is kind of ugly.
I can definitely tone down the use of caution lines, but most of the areas shown are secure areas or caution areas. Areas where loading/unloading or engineering work is done (ie; arrivals and atmospherics.) I definitely like to try and add spice to things, but it probably isn't great that the only areas I've made available sofar are the main areas with warning stripes.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #192913

Try adding the lines exclusively where the actual work is being done?
Generally this means: in front of airlocks.
Department-specific for, say, Cargo this means: in front of the shuttle dock, conveyors, and MULE parking spots.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #192967

Caution lines, in reality, are to mark dangerous areas apart from safe ones. In a professional workshop, you will see them surrounding the machinery and other places you should avoid being unless you are doing work and have appropriate protection. In the same vein, you should arrange your tiles such that they mark the 'work area' of the dangerous machinery in Atmos. They should mean "If you are standing here, you need to have protection and be paying attention else you will get hurt.".
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #193143

I'd really like it if the SM shard had a mass driver and blast doors to space for you to "safely" get rid of it in case it goes nuclear and wild so it doesn't break up inside.
Though, that doesn't mean you couldn't leave room for sabotage, like say, put the blast doors on a separate APC - one snip to the environmental and those doors ain't opening.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #193196

Anonmare wrote:I'd really like it if the SM shard had a mass driver and blast doors to space for you to "safely" get rid of it in case it goes nuclear and wild so it doesn't break up inside.
Though, that doesn't mean you couldn't leave room for sabotage, like say, put the blast doors on a separate APC - one snip to the environmental and those doors ain't opening.
I was thinking about doing that, but it is something I'd add in when I am mapping maintenance around the area, just to see how I need to make it to fit it properly.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #193670

your arrivals looks pretty much exactly like box
i don't know if that's good or bad but
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #193736

420weedscopes wrote:your arrivals looks pretty much exactly like box
i don't know if that's good or bad but
Arrivals/departures generally have a 'standard' look to them across the maps, although slightly altered by each mapper generally. Take dream and meta for other examples.

EDIT: Haven't been able to update pictures because my DM went nuts and I had to spend a good six or so hours to recover my map, which I am now having to piece together onto a different map due to broken code. Woo.
Last edited by Okand37 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #193740

I thought it looked exactly like meta. I guess Okand is right, they do kinda all look the same
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #213088

I haven't been doing a good job at keeping pictures up, so here's a preview of the bridge area so far! The basic layout of the entire map is more or less up, if you'd like to see a specific area feel free to ask!

Bridge includes command center, command chair, council chambers, head of personnels office and bedroom, gateway, E.V.A., teleporter, E.V.A. storage, gravity foyer, gravity generator, telecommunications and telecommunications monitoring, captain's office and captain's quarters with an emergency exit!
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #213102

Nitpick alert!

The tables in the corner of the bridge will be unusable due to the computers. More critically, telecommunications is entirely too secure, unless you added windows along the south walls the lead to space (or make that space area into maint)
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #213104

Atlanta-Ned wrote:Nitpick alert!

The tables in the corner of the bridge will be unusable due to the computers. More critically, telecommunications is entirely too secure, unless you added windows along the south walls the lead to space (or make that space area into maint)
As per the tables, it was on my list to swap the table and computer placement so both could be used, but it seems I forgot... thank you for reminding me! I can definitely do windows that look out into the area between telecommunications and E.V.A.
Duncdar
Byond Username: Duncdar

Post by Duncdar » #213125

Nice to see this is still alive! The bridge definitely looks super comfy.
~lighter than Aire~
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #213137

On the topic of things with the letters b r i g in them, here's some previews of the brig and surrounding security areas!

Image Prison wing includes three long term cells and a prison area, a 'sanitarium', a 'processing' center and an escape pod.

Security includes a fairly basic security design consisting of primary halls, a security desk, three standard cells, a gear room, warden's office, armoury, E.V.A, contraband, interrogation room and viewing, HoS' office (including Lia, the carp!) and bedroom, gulag transferring center, gulag receiving center, and medical bay. Outside of the security area includes a law office complete with a more fleshed out courtroom, and a detective's office right across the hall. The morgue is located nearby for convenience.
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #213202

A million fucking times better than Dreamstation 10/10 replace dream with this
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #213266

I like it! It reminds me of a sleek office building. OfficeStation13 anyone?

Not sure if I like the upper part of the bridge though - it's very hallway-esque. Maybe you could move the telecom lobby down and expand the bridge in that area?
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #213359

telecoms is too secure, nobody will be able to blow comms and one of the most popular nuke ops strats is kill
John_Oxford
Github User
Byond Username: John Oxford
Github Username: JohnOxford

Post by John_Oxford » #213379

you could push everything back like 6 tiles and put the teleporter between atmos and telecomms and somehow connect it to everything else
Bill Rowe - Used for everything // SYS-OP - AI // SYS-USR - Cyborg
https://gyazo.com/07cbe7219ba24366c1f655ad6c56a524

Signature Content:
Spoiler:
Offical In-Game rank:

TechnoAlchemist wrote:you where always right john, you where always right
>implying the admin conspiracy wasen't just confirmed by a admin.
see, i told you motherfuckers.
NikNakFlak wrote:this isn't a game you can't just post whenever you want
I don't even know what the fuck tg is.

Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214464

Here's an update on the bridge sofar.
Incorporating some of the ideas to move the teleporter between the gravity generator and telecommunications. Moved E.V.A. to where the teleporter was. Expanded gateway.
TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #214485

Looks great - but if tcomms is gonna be cold make sure there are double airlocks to it.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214499

A cool update to a hot topic.

Here's also a preview of the shuttle design, not finished!

Here is a small, badly taken picture of the captain's quarters! Complete with captain figurine!
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214620

Pictures will unfortunately likely be grinding to a halt, as my most updated copy of deltastation has gotten corrupted and I didn't have any backups (silly me.)
I'll be redoing some of the map, but expect some areas to change. Security and the bridge will remain similar.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #214636

Remember mappers, always make backups. You may 'accidentally' delete it and lose it forever
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214637

Been working on getting the bridge back in order. Decided I'd do complete areas at a time this go around. Might decide to put the AI upload where telecomms was instead.
Every head of staff gets their own figurine in their office, booyah! Aesthetics!

Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #214666

This is seriously the third "I was working on my map and then it got corrupted i lost it all" in the last few weeks.
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
certified good poster
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214687

I'd be a lot happier if mine didn't, wyzack.
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #214688

Not trying to shame or anything, just frustrated because we could really use some new maps and yours looks awesome. I know how much of a drive-sapping punch in the balls it is to lose hours of hard work
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214690

It really sucks, but at the least it opens up some opportunity to change things around, and I'll be able to more easily incorporate a few minor areas I didn't have space for (auxiliary mining base, for example.)
Now that I've really figured out how to set up everything from access to cameras to areas to power and so forth, it shouldn't take me nearly as long to get areas working back up especially when I already have a rough idea of how I had it all. I'll also be making sure to save backups regularly from now on.
lzimann
Byond Username: Lzimann
Github Username: lzimann

Post by lzimann » #214781

Wyzack wrote:This is seriously the third "I was working on my map and then it got corrupted i lost it all" in the last few weeks.
I think it's quite easily to byond corrupt your map files... always keep your maps backed up!
Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #214784

Yeah it seems like it is probably a common issue with DreamDeamon or whatever the mapping tool is called
Caleb Robinson laughs.
certified good poster
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #214799

Yeah it gets more corrupt more than a Politician. I had a 20 pop small map I was working on that got corrupted and lost and I lost my drive to re-make it.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #214827

To my great relief (and perhaps some of yours) I've managed to find a random copy I had floating around in a file completely absent named. While it was before I started working on atmospherics or decorating, the layout is still existent! Hurray!
With the new bridge design I was working on earlier, I've had to scoot down some of the station (cargo, civil, departures, chapel) but in turn have been able to add room for a proper gateway and the auxiliary mining base platform! Still have a lot to work to do what with needing to do atmos, the power grid, and other mechanics (doors, cameras, airalarms/apcs, etc) but we're well on our way to recovery.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #215044

Here's the bridge (again) sofar! I made some updates and added a lower section. Telecoms is now more appropriately fitted and balanced.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #215303

The bridge is complete! I'll be working on the security area next, so stay tuned for more pictures!
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215305

I like the colour-coded servers, it makes it easier to identify a server at a glance.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #215764

Security is coming along nicely! Still need to do the prison, courtroom and law office areas.
Disclaimer: A maintenance door was moved where the robust plaque was, and the robust plaque was moved one tile to the left.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #215767

make a better detectives office
Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #215798

Is that an automated implanter near the top-left? I've never seen them used ingame outside of away missions.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #215811

Anonmare wrote:Is that an automated implanter near the top-left? I've never seen them used ingame outside of away missions.
Its the gulag teleporter. I was thinking of putting an implanter in the re-education chamber, but I have to think about whether how much it would be abused or not.
XDTM
Github User
Byond Username: XDTM
Github Username: XDTM

Post by XDTM » #216325

Does the magicarp in the HoS office actually shoot magic bolts?
a.k.a. Duke Hayka

Coder of golems, virology, hallucinations, traumas, nanites, and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #216394

XDTM wrote:Does the magicarp in the HoS office actually shoot magic bolts?
Its just a reskinned cayenne. Its red because I figured the skin would be more fitting for security, opposed to the regular space carp purple.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #216672

In other news, security and its civilian corresponding areas have been finished.
allura
Byond Username: Allura

Post by allura » #216872

make a better detectives office
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #217529

Medical is coming along nicely! You may be curious as to why the medical in this photo looks very different than the corner you can see in the top left of the security photo, and that is because I am redoing it entirely to make it more unique and in tune with the style of the map.
Last edited by Okand37 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.