Universal Color Palette(??)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

Universal Color Palette(??)

Post by WJohnston » #200348

So I spent like 12 hours doing this:

UPDATED OCT/9/2016

It's a color palette for ss13. 135 available colors, unless I miscounted. Small dots are duplicate colors found elsewhere on the ramp if two colors were too similar.

Post your own if you were actually insane enough to ever compile one of these things and do hours and hours of research on color theory, graphical hardware limitations, and game sprite palettes.

I'm talking about you, ausops.

Oh also you're free to use this but I'm sure I'll end up making another one of these things at some point probably tomorrow anyway, maybe I'll actually keep this one this time.
Last edited by WJohnston on Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apparently I was an director or something.
Nienhaus
Byond Username: Nienhaus2

Re: Universal Color Palette(??)

Post by Nienhaus » #200379

Hey.
Incoming
Github User
Byond Username: Incoming
Github Username: Incoming5643

Post by Incoming » #200402

Without some sort of script that automatically converts sprites on merge I can't see a limited palette ever being practical to enforce.
Developer - Datum Antags: Feburary 2016

Poly the Parrot - All Seeing Bird Transcends Universe, Joins Twitter.

Kofi - Make A Poor Life Choice

Good ideas backed by cruddy code since 2012!
Scott
Github User
Byond Username: Xxnoob
Github Username: xxalpha

Post by Scott » #200651

That could be easily done, I think.
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #200667

like I said pointless restrictions that will make the game more cohesive and like a traditional game (bad)
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #200680

>game being more cohesive and looking more like those glorious traditional sprite-based games is bad

what are you on right now

i want some of that

give it
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #200685

Went and updated the color palette now:

Leftmost ramp now strives towards green rather than red. This means more blues and less purples, because I had too many purples and not enough blues.
Adds a proper yellow ramp that is just pure lum variation, no hue shifting there.
Tweaks a few colors.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #201253

Further updated the palette, got rid of one of the hot-pink lookalikes and brought back the purple so there's more contrast available!

IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #201254

Bawhoppennn wrote:like I said pointless restrictions that will make the game more cohesive and like a traditional game (bad)
Take this with a grain of salt because I'm not the most experienced, nor skilled when it comes to artwork, but there's a little old saying that restriction breeds creativity. Through limiting yourself, you will explore workarounds and find more efficient methods that ultimately make you a better artist. This is why you'll see a lot of really great artists who use limited palettes.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #201433

Bawhoppen is a fucking literal newfag who hasn't had to deal with seeing the game slowly descend into a fucking mess after people started adding the worst quality shit on top of supernorn's generally cohesive style

Granted when supernorn did the big resprite before the goon leak it was pretty amateur work, but it's been disgusting seeing shit go downhill so fast, and I even helped make this problem worse BECAUSE THERE WAS NO PALETTE TO WORK OFF OF TO GUIDE NEW SPRITERS LIKE MYSELF TO MAKING THINGS LOOK LESS EYESORE

That said I think if we ran an automated script to force a lot of the current stuff into a consistent (limited) palette, and then tried it for a few rounds, people would immediately be a lot happier with how things look

Consistency is soothing to look at, which is why lifeweb is so visually appealing despite being a vomit mess of russian edgy sprites, because it's all done by one guy and under a dark ass filter

Not saying we should look like lifeweb but if we forced an aesthetic, no matter what it was, the game would be fun for everyone and it would be more future proof to degredation

This is part of the reason I'd like 64x64, because respriting things to have more detail + a consistent palette is something nobody would ever want to do but now we have a reason to do it and less restrictions in terms of resolution
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
IkeTG
Byond Username: LizardDreams

Post by IkeTG » #201458

paprika wrote:Consistency is soothing to look at, which is why lifeweb is so visually appealing despite being a vomit mess of russian edgy sprites, because it's all done by one guy and under a dark ass filter

Not saying we should look like lifeweb but if we forced an aesthetic, no matter what it was, the game would be fun for everyone and it would be more future proof to degredation
I agree wholeheartedly. Sticking to a consistent style would be the best option; I can foresee it being a challenge to get everyone on board with a stricter art direction, but ultimately the more consistent the aesthetic of game is, the more appealing the game will be.
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #201946

>pap calling me a newfag

>i am older player than pap

topmeme
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #201954

hmmm
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #202287

since wj didn't actually specify this when i asked him for a week straight if he needed help
this is apparently for 64x sprites and not our current 32x

wj if you reply to this with 'wew' again i swear to fucking god
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #202459

paprika wrote:Image

hmmm
checkmate atheist
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #202557

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #202589

Did bawhoppen change his name or is that someone else
Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #202752

That is my old account before I permaban evaded

Bawhoppennn
Github User

Post by Bawhoppennn » #202754

edit:
Last edited by Bawhoppennn on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

TechnoAlchemist
Byond Username: TechnoAlchemist

Post by TechnoAlchemist » #202799

Wjohnston do you have the hex values for these palettes handy
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #203136

this is a genius idea
good shit wjohn
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
420weedscopes
Byond Username: 420weedscopes

Post by 420weedscopes » #204398

TechnoAlchemist wrote:Wjohnston do you have the hex values for these palettes handy
the eyedropper tool is your best friend
Check out Phoenix Bucket!
TheWiznard wrote:jmad you read a book out loud to no one for two hours
original fanart by TheWiznard http://i.imgur.com/TTd3AFt.jpg
MORE http://i.imgur.com/335AGAS.jpg
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #205806

Went ahead and did some more tweaking. Made some colors less of a super huge gap between the darkest and the one above that, tweaked the pink ramp to be redder and so on. I think I'm quite happy with how this looks now, but maybe I'll go back to this at some point at redo friggin' everything this thing is hard.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #217178

Updated the color palette yet again. Made the yellow ramp have a bit of red near the start, as it came off as nearly green to me in the darker colors. Also expanded yellow ramp, giving it a more gradual progression, and adding a grey variant. Tweaked a few of the darker colors in the red, blue, and grey-green ramps to allow for better smoothing throughout the ramp. Should result in overall less contrast burn with sprites, I'll review existing sprites with these.
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #222423

Ooooh handy, I've been fucking with sprites alot lately and this should definitely help.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #222489

It'd really fuckin help if you guys showed some more resprites using these palettes
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #224763

WJohnston, I've been using your stuff to do some recolors. Do you have all the department colors, i.e. those used on doors and signs? How about shades of red used in sec headsets, uniforms, etc.?
danno

Post by danno » #233389

any news on how this is panning out? a universal palette sounds like a very good idea on paper but paprika is right, there should be some examples
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #233483

I think I've figured out some part of why I find it hard to use this palette- keeping in mind that there are a lot of different ways to go about palettes.

All the colours have separate ramps, for what seems like a saturated and non-saturated version. Going off instinct, the saturated ramps are too saturated at the dark end and personally, I have a hard time swapping between saturated and non-saturated ramps for colouring. Some of the pixeljoint articles talk about neutralizers- dark very un-saturated colours that are meant afaik to draw together a piece, and they have a point. The black to white ramp also has no hues whatsoever, while SS13 uses a lot of absolute non-hue greys. I use a ramp with some hues added and stuck to it (through laziness) but it seems to give more of a common, maybe more comfortable traditional RPG look. There's also little in the way of flesh/cream tones.

Looking at my own very messy and not even finished palette, I haven't really differentiated the colours into saturated and non-saturated colours, preferring instead to deal with saturation in the ramp itself. Exceptions are of course brown, cream, and skin tones. Having the majority of my colours at the same level of saturation make things easier for me. I've also used a wider range of values- probably way too many and it'll have to be consolidated into a smaller ramp one day- but when I did try using your palette my habits eventually forced me to mix and blend some to reduce the value jumps. This might just be a reflection upon my lack of training. Less values and values that don't blend into each other are a good thing.
Spoiler:
I'm probably going to have to consolidate the aqua colours, especially around the darker areas. The gold/brown ramp too. What I'm going to do is trial and error and see which colours I tend to pick and which I tend to ignore since they are too similar or not suitable. Pink and purple colours I don't use yet so I haven't added
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #233565

I'm very much trying to learn how to actually do palettes properly, and you're right, it's quite lacking in skin tones (though since we'll be just cheating with greyscale and throwing in our own values, it won't matter much). I wanted there to be a wide range of color available for everything, as well as greyer versions. While it's more realistic to have darker things also be grayer, it's rarely done that way with sprites, which opt for high saturation when very dark (at least from what I've seen).

I'd like to work out exactly what we want out of a color palette from this game, whether it should be drab or colorful or somewhere in between, as well as what colors we should REALLY focus on (grays and reds and blues are pretty common).
danno

Post by danno » #233631

Christ, looking at this shit is a harsh reminder of how shit I am
Palettes are such a ridiculous science

In regards to what we want out of a palette, I am personally a big fan of ausop's more drab colors. I think his palette has way too much in it, though. All of those greenish browns to the left of the orange ramp seem completely redundant to me, along with a lot of the blues.
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #233728

i had a closer look at the palettes on pj. Neutralizers seem key to reducing the amount of colours needed by re-using darker colours and harmonize the colours used by bringing the ramps together- but I don't doubt you've seen palettes with more saturation, as far as I understand and with the right hue shifts, saturated darker colours make for very rich and vibrant styles. Maybe a rich and vibrant palette fits SS13 better- I know mine has a specific purpose in mind and needs to be less saturated for it.

Danno we're all shit compared to what you get outside of ss13 belieeeeeve me
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #233737

can confirm we are trash spriters, source: am still trash spriter

except ausops

keep it up man
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #233748

the people on pj wreck me and that's not including the old masters, moonrune people who did the spritework for snes rpgs.
danno

Post by danno » #233756

the people on pj don't even reply to my shit at all
Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #233759

I too am poking at palettes going "what the fuck"

So far the only way I get good ones is through long series of trial and error.
danno

Post by danno » #247822

Alright
after like 2 weeks of theory crafting and research
after fucking around in gimp for all that time

this morning I deleted all the work I did and I made this palette from scratch today
and by "from scratch" I mean I took the sec uniform colors and goon's bush colors and stole some of wjohn's colors
and then interpolated it all with random shit
but I think it looks nice

I present to you Spaceman v1

the idea is to eliminate all of the meaningless gradient shit and promote making sprites with higher contrast and visual consistency

I haven't actually applied it to a single thing in game yet so it might just be shit
gonna do that tomorrow
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #248059

"higher contrast and visual consistency" All my yes.
Hey.
danno

Post by danno » #248060

Gonna start testing it on like random items and stuff
If you guys want to do that or use it and make whatever you want, and give your thoughts on it that would be incredibly helpful
danno

Post by danno » #248141

some random shit
current sprites on bottom, redone sprites on top

>not using goon toolboxes

I think I need to add a ramp of things specifically for greyscaling but so far no glaring issues
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #248160

laser gun and plant look dope, but the greens and blues look very pale compared to the other colors (expect the edges of the potted plant)
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #248184

I really love it man. If I wasn't already knee-deep in using WJ's palette I'd be all over that. The higher contrast is incredibly pleasing to look at. Visual consistency is something that would be just nicer in general.

My dream of a resprited and visually consistent and coherent SS13 may yet live.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #248185

heaps better than mine

apart from the grey ramp I'll use this for a bit
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #248188

Ausops you've never posted your palette anywhere, would you be willing to share it at some point? While a high-contrast, vibrant palette seems to fit the aesthetic of SS13, the aesthetic of your BSA/PA sprites is fucking incredible. I'd love to be able to use that palette if I wanted to sprite something in that same sort of theme (such as a Syndiborg)
ImageImage
Spoiler:
imblyings

Post by imblyings » #248245

>thinks i have a palette

I can tell you the BSA/PA is only ok because of the linework, size and my autism to detail. Colour wise it's not actually that good.
Sweaterkittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #248249

>someone posts a palette
imblyings wrote:heaps better than mine
WELL I JUST ASSUMED YOU HAD ONE
ImageImage
Spoiler:
danno

Post by danno » #248256

PKPenguin321 wrote:laser gun and plant look dope, but the greens and blues look very pale compared to the other colors (expect the edges of the potted plant)
I'm inclined to agree with you and I'm going to see if I can mess around with that
Sweaterkittens wrote:I really love it man. If I wasn't already knee-deep in using WJ's palette I'd be all over that. The higher contrast is incredibly pleasing to look at. Visual consistency is something that would be just nicer in general.

My dream of a resprited and visually consistent and coherent SS13 may yet live.
I'm going to make that dream happen if it kills me

I feel like either more grays need to be added to the gray ramp or something needs to happen to it but I'm not quite sure what yet
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #248347

I really like how that bush came out.
Hey.
Nienhaus

Post by Nienhaus » #248357

I tried it with a bunch of my sprites. I didn't edit any of them, I wanted to see how they would turn out. Some of them would need to be edited but the majority looks good.
Hey.
danno

Post by danno » #248408

thanks this helps a lot