[WIP] New Lavaland Ruins: Derelict Research Outpost

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Weisyl
Byond Username: Weisyl

[WIP] New Lavaland Ruins: Derelict Research Outpost

Post by Weisyl » #218651

Hey guys, thought I'd make a post about some mapping I'm doing on some new ruins which I hope can make it in as possible ruins that can spawn on Lavaland. What I'm mapping is a derelict NanoTrasen Research Outpost, which was used for researching the environment, local fauna, some captured artifacts, etc. While in use, it probably would've served a crew of around ~20, and thus has mostly the basic facilities, such as a medbay, security, science, etc. The disaster that had caused its abandonment would either be sabotage by a syndicate agent, or a megafauna which found its way to the base. If it's added, it is likely that it could serve as an appropriate colony if worked on by engineers, depending on how much time they want to spend on repairing the place. It's still early in development, and is subject to change.

Additionally, please do give me suggestions on what could be part of / contained in the research outpost, and give me feedback on what you see so far and see in later pictures.

With just a couple or so hours of work, we have:

Front entrance and "lobby": http://puu.sh/rJbFY/12a98f4c9f.png

Medbay (Still needing a moderate amount of work): 1.) http://puu.sh/rJcQl/9facad4bdb.jpg 2.) http://puu.sh/rJcRA/12659c0d9b.png
D&B
Byond Username: Repukan

Re: [WIP] New Lavaland Ruins: Derelict Research Outpost

Post by D&B » #218673

Seems better like a space ruin rather than a lavaland ruin
Spoiler:
[20:26:02]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Welp. It was just a prank bro isn't a very good excuse when it comes to unprovoked nonantag murder, but since this is your first time doing it and you seem to understand the problem instead of a bannu I'm just going to leave you with a warning. Please PLEASE don't do this again in the future, as funny as crackhead broken bottle memes can be. Alrighty? Do you have any input on this?
[20:26:39]ADMIN: PM: [censored]->[censored admin]: Alright, no problem. I have some input. Fuck my boy pussy.
[20:27:06]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Okay then. Have fun.
[20:31:29]ADMIN: PM: [censored admin]->[censored]: Excuse me?
J_Madison wrote: that's a stupid fucking stat
you don't play, you've never played
lying little shit with your bullshit stat
fuck you
ColonicAcid wrote:and with enough practise i too could blow my own dick so well that only the gods know how it feels.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #218750

give it a crazy hermit ghost role
Weisyl

Post by Weisyl » #218779

cocothegogo wrote:give it a crazy hermit ghost role
I was thinking about it but it also may have some really good loot so if I were to put a sleeper spawner there, could allow for that player to get some fairly powerful gear without having to work too much. Though I do plan on having hostile mobs to fight, so that might balance it out...
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #218952

D&B wrote:Seems better like a space ruin rather than a lavaland ruin
that's because there already is a derelict space ruin research outpost
Bawhoppennn
Github User
Byond Username: Bawhoppennn
Github Username: Bawhoppen

Post by Bawhoppennn » #218969

If you're going to map anything, please atleast get some unique sprites to enhance variety, or some kind of unique mechanic

As it is, we have an overabundance of abandoned research posts/stations, do companies just make a bunch of expensive stations for research then forget about them?
I consider myself a /tg/station historian. If you're interested in the server history at all, feel free to ask me and I'll try and get you an answer! #ConcurForever

<KorMobile> you're a hero

[21:20:53] <%oranges> Baw "has cute legs" hoppen
DEAD: ADMIN(Owegno) says, "Nothing lewd happens in adminbus sadly."

[07:13:57] <Rockdtben> Keep in mind that I'm an extremely successful and wealthy male in his late twenties.

(F) DEAD: Professor DonkPocket says, "Admins preventchaos with good messages"

OOC: Pogoman122: Fun fact if someone trespasses on your kitchen just turn them into a nugget

<+KorPhaeron> russians have no souls so magic enrages them
<+KorPhaeron> people who don't like rng are not from /tg/ and are likely redditors
ausops wrote:apart from this there is literally nothing more to say other than that this is the first thread in five years to have achieved something.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #218973

Bawhoppennn wrote:do companies just make a bunch of expensive stations for research then forget about them?
YES
Anonmare
Byond Username: Anonmare

Post by Anonmare » #219000

Bawhoppennn wrote: do companies just make a bunch of expensive stations for research then forget about them?
Nanotrasen does
Weisyl

Post by Weisyl » #219037

Bawhoppennn wrote:If you're going to map anything, please atleast get some unique sprites to enhance variety, or some kind of unique mechanic

As it is, we have an overabundance of abandoned research posts/stations, do companies just make a bunch of expensive stations for research then forget about them?

I'm not terribly sure of what I could do to make it more unique, I suppose. Besides having an aspect of both environmental dangers (chasms, perhaps lava too) and hostile ash walkers or other creatures. For loot, much of the better stuff would be either hidden in out-of-the-way rooms, behind mobs to fight through (though this is probably a bit generic), or I could also go the Station Collision route and have some of the best stuff be hidden in a safe which you must find the randomized code to open.
Gamarr
Byond Username: Gamarr

Post by Gamarr » #220333

Bawhoppennn wrote: As it is, we have an overabundance of abandoned research posts/stations, do companies just make a bunch of expensive stations for research then forget about them?
Willfully forgetting some given the brain-fuck/charnel houses they tend to turn into because of !!!SCIENCE!!! or outright lost because of said space horrors.

Research place is neat, but honestly it looks like half a medbay and we already have a Vet ruin (not that anyone really plays it much).
You want a somewhat large structure to map, make a prison. Monsters are piled up at the front door, with 2-3 prisoners and 2-3 guards. No power and some 'breaches' into the facility from said monsters, blocking access to a storage with plasma for their one generator or something.

Or go the other way and make it a shitty AI/pAI running the show from a set of buttons and cameras, except its likely dead from no power and all the prisoners are stuck inside a place that functionally stopped working 1, 30, 365 days ago. With a mining shaft that shits out oogy boogies if they ever open the sealed door back up (and where the rest of the prison/guards went).

A reason not to make a space ruin and keep lavaland: because lavaland has 3 (normally) explorers for it with anyone else able to go only requiring internals and a pick or a boat. Space absolutely requires EVA. It's also mostly empty as fuck, and while it has multiple Z-levels, is randomized/shit to travel through. I like space. But the way space is here, it sucks, and space exploring sucks (much as I love the space ruins presently around like the bunker).
Jacough
Byond Username: Jacough

Post by Jacough » #220337

I think it's more like they build them knowing that they're inevitably going to catch fire and explode considering they tend to hire total fucking retards for high responsibility positions. I'd be surprised if Nanotrasen even does background checks with how often they hire terrorists who end up blowing up the station and killing half the crew.