Small challenge map design brainstorm

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Small challenge map design brainstorm

Post by CPTANT » #232143

I kinda noticed that we have very few small maps and the ones we do have are kinda shit.

I think a small map needs a different design philosophy from large maps to keep it interesting, the map should be a lot less self managing to make things interesting for the crew.

I also think an important aspect of small map design is to really carve it up into smaller spaces without many windows so you get that claustrophobic feeling.

My concept is to make a ship map. The ship is surrounded by transit space to really increase the claustrophobic feeling. Also I want the ship to be severely damaged at roundstart so the crew is FORCED to work together. Significant portions of the ship are barricaded/exposed to space or infested with hostile lifeforms.

I have some concepts here that in my opinion would make an interesting small map, (although some might require more custom coding than they are worth):

1.Engineering

Power should be a major issue, should require maintenance and preferably multiple sources.

at roundstart only a generator with limited plasma is available. It provides some power but will run out soon

The major power source will be a turbine, however the fuel for this is limited and located at the other end of the ship, meaning plasma will have to either be transported in cannisters or a pipeline has to be laid through the ship.

The ship went through an asteroid field that ripped off its solar panels, and only a fraction of them remain, they require repairs and even then only provide like 20% of the stations power needs

My plan is to give the ship no SMES so not wasting power becomes a thing.

2. medbay

Medbay has chemistry, a sleeper and a surgery room available. The room with a cryo tube and cloner has to be reclaimed. The only medbay job is the doctor

3. Science

Science has a research machine an a very small xeno department. There is no toxins bomb making, to get materials the cargo bay has to be reclaimed.

4. kitchen

There are no vending machines, kitchen has some food and livestock and a botany area for growing more.

5. Cargo:

Cargo bay is completely overrun but has a lot of materials, there are 3 cargo bays warehouses each with progressively more hostile creatures.

6. Air. Air is precious, the portable air tanks on the station are small emergency airtanks

7. Evac. I dont think a normal evac shuttle works with this concept, I want 2 pods that can be launched after a 5 minute delay (unrecallable after 2.5) The pods launch after this period and after a very short transit of 30 seconds arrive.

Thats about it for now course the concept needs some more odds and ends.....
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Grazyn
Byond Username: Grazyn

Re: Small challenge map design brainstorm

Post by Grazyn » #232153

If it's in transit, I suppose holes to space will act like they do on the escape shuttle right? That would be pretty annoying when even a single tile hole creates a conga line of items marching happily to the abyss where they disappear forever.
CPTANT
Byond Username: CPTANT

Post by CPTANT » #232154

Grazyn wrote:If it's in transit, I suppose holes to space will act like they do on the escape shuttle right? That would be pretty annoying when even a single tile hole creates a conga line of items marching happily to the abyss where they disappear forever.
Nah I want holes to be regular space, perhaps a narrow corridor of space on the outside of the ship and beyond that transit space.
Timberpoes wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:21 pm The rules exist to create the biggest possible chance of a cool shift of SS13. They don't exist to allow admins to create the most boring interpretation of SS13.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #232170

Seems like a good idea. Gives more active jobs to do and a big change to the generic maps we have now.

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.