Cerestation (It's dead, Jim)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries

Compress CereStation?

Squish the department asteroids together a lot more, too spaced out.
43%
Squish the department asteroids together a bit more.
24%
Leave as is.
27%
Abstain.
5%

Total votes: 74

Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Re: Cerestation (WIP) (Size Poll)

Post by Qbopper » #301487

Bottom post of the previous page:

The Clowns Pocket wrote:your opinion is WRONG
opinion discarded
Gun Hog wrote:It would be nice to include Medical and Engineering in the pad list. You say this is something for engineers to do round-start, but they do not have a pad at all! Medical, considering it is a high traffic department, could use one as well.
yeah, I don't think the majority of engineers know how to construct pads so this is probably a better idea
Limey wrote:its too late.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #303420

So i been thinking of how to fix the problems most people have with the station and I come up with 4 easy to do ideas that could fix 80% of the problems

1-Place all the quantum computers in a satellite in space and one quanton teleporter in each department, thus creating a central teleporting hub for easy transport without creating the power sink like effect you were worried about

2-Add in the retracting air-bridges from goon

3- Add a space train that moves around the station and as it reaches the air-bridges, they retract to allow to pass

4-Add miniature version of rooms to every department like mini-evas and mini-med bays
bman
Github User
Byond Username: Basilman
Github Username: Militaires

Post by bman » #303432

Pizzatiger wrote:
4-Add miniature version of rooms to every department like mini-evas and mini-med bays
I never got mini-rooms, they just seem to exist only to eliminate any scarcity of resources on the station. Delta is an extreme example of this.
Pizzatiger
Byond Username: Pizzatiger

Post by Pizzatiger » #303490

bman wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:
I never got mini-rooms, they just seem to exist only to eliminate any scarcity of resources on the station. Delta is an extreme example of this.

I was thinking the number of supplies would be cut down a bit and spread around the station, Like if each EVA has 1 space suit and the main EVA has two and the RCD
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Post by MMMiracles » #303544

Pizzatiger wrote:
bman wrote:
Pizzatiger wrote:

I was thinking the number of supplies would be cut down a bit and spread around the station, Like if each EVA has 1 space suit and the main EVA has two and the RCD
I'd rather be over-equipping a department instead of spreading the same amount of gear around into these weird ghetto departments people seem to want. Efficiency Station started this trend, but it actually made sense in that map because it was supposed to be a station built on-top of an older, dilapidated station.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #303553

Each department does have a tiny stock of emergency medical supplies, the purpose of which is to keep patients alive for the long trip to Medbay.

Some feedback notes: Medbay cameras are poorly labeled, I had quite a bit of difficulty locating the machines on a camera console, as well as the cloner seemingly not being visible on cameras at all!

The Science desk windoors are on the outside of the table instead of the inside, making it impossible to bump the doors open. In order to give people things, I must click the windoor, and click it again to close it, else I create an easy entrance for greyscum :unknownman:.

The toolboxes in the R&D lab could use a little pixel shifting, as the pair appears as only one box.

The E.X.P.E.R.I-MENTOR does not link to its console as it is too far away from it. It needs to be within 3 spaces in order to work.

Oh, and Toxins has no mass driver. I know you dislike Toxins and want it difficult to do on your map, but having no place to test bombs (the main problem is the lack of a Doppler array) is a bit too minimalist.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #303565

The main reason for a lack of place for bomb testing is that the map already lingers a bit close to the z-level edge enough as is, which makes actually placing a bomb testing site in an area that 'probably' won't hit the station a bit difficult. Considering I plan on reworking Science next with my department revamps, that might be changed, though.

I'll see about the medbay cameras.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
FantasticFwoosh
Byond Username: FantasticFwoosh

Post by FantasticFwoosh » #303605

> can't add bomb testing because like everyone reports, the filled perimiter of the map is HUGE.

Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #303646

Great detective work, as always.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #311877

Due to a mixture of events that have happened recently, I honestly don't know when I'll be able to actually post progress, let alone work on it. I guess consider this a sort of hiatus for the next 10-12 weeks at least.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #311999

I do not want to see CereStation die! Someone else please take up development of this map!!
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #326981

https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/29936

Well, guess I was a bit too late on restarting my revamp process.

If by some miracle this doesn't go through I'll pick up on my Research revamp and try to get something out by sat/Sunday. Otherwise, I'll be chalking this up as a learning experience and hope they have enough room in the abandoned map graveyard for Ceres.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #327890

Well, it seems the death of this map has been successfully postponed, so I got to throwing around some Research department designs.
Spoiler:
Not everything is flushed out yet as I'm still trying to work out different layouts that flow well but aren't carbon copies of existing setups. I might scrap what I have due to the gray hallways leading to xenobio/bomb testing feel super boring and space-wasting unless I can figure out a decent way to make them not so empty feeling.

As for the actual changes/additions:
  • Lobby area with public autolathe (no starting material, get it yourself).
  • Xenobio has 12 cells, up from 8. Includes a small boost to plasma/monkey cube count for more equal share with the new cell count between two scientists.
  • Robotics has an extra fab with a new setup similar to the older assembly line. Mech bay has two extra mech chargers and an extra borg charger.
  • Toxins actually has a bomb range. The most-southern bridge has been given an extra layer of debris plating to protect from the bomb site debris (actually works!) Also gave toxins 2 extra valves, because you really need more than 6 transfer valves if you want to do some damage on a map of this size (ill probably regret this).
  • Testing range with targets.
  • Break lounge away from the main hall to eat donk pockets and perform shady actions.
  • A slightly more roomy security checkpoint room with duel-window view to watch the main hall and the back section.
  • Dedicated E.X.P.E.R.I-MENTOR/containment rooms. This was originally due to my lack of forethought when it came to spacing.
Like I said before, the layout might get scraped as is due to the issue I've run into with the gray halls, but the internal parts of each room will stay the same if I do decide to switch up the layout again. Feel free to criticize, especially if you prefer science roles so I can keep shit flowing nicely between the sub-departments.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Bluespace
Byond Username: Bluespace

Post by Bluespace » #327891

Can you give me an updated map of Cere?
I play Boris Pepper.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #327893

Bluespace wrote:Can you give me an updated map of Cere?
The most recent picture should be on the wiki, which was 5/31. It should be fairly updated except for the Robotics change someone did to make more similar to other maps while I was away. Link is here for the full map, image is a bit blurry when zoomed in due to imgur compressing it but everything is still legible.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #328288

Not sure I like the idea of the autolathe being moved outside to the lobby. At least it starts unloaded so that Scientists that need something from it are more likely to move it, at least.

- The placement of the exo-fabs is rather restrictive. Two-three players working there at the same time will either have their printed parts mixed together with the belt active, or by leaving the belt off, one-two players will have to stand on the output point of another player's fabricator to work with his stuff. This actually discourages working on parallel projects rather than enable them as your design intends.

- The firing range opens to a table.

- I do like the improvement to Toxins, this unique aspect of having 8 TTVs brings it up from being the worst map for bomb-making.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #328292

The addition of the lobby comes with the public autolathe meme, although the actual map size should make it less of an issue. Didn't really think about scientists moving it roundstart, as I've never actually seen someone do that over just building one with better parts early in.

I'll see about putting a gap between each fabricator so you can still have the option of separate setups or using the belt.

Firing range was fixed.

I was hoping the addition of the range and the extra valves would make people stop asking for their precious roundstart heaters/freezers.

As for a progress update, I mostly just did disposals and atmospheric piping. The gray halls were given some design flair on the tiling and made into a sort of 'lounge' area for scientists.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.