Cerestation (It's dead, Jim)

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries

Compress CereStation?

Squish the department asteroids together a lot more, too spaced out.
43%
Squish the department asteroids together a bit more.
24%
Leave as is.
27%
Abstain.
5%

Total votes: 74

MMMiracles
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: MMMiracles
Github Username: MMMiracles

Cerestation (It's dead, Jim)

Post by MMMiracles » #234149

Spoiler:
Things of Interest:
  • Engineering, Atmospherics, and Nuke Ops get spare compact pickaxes to work around the asteroid. Emergency pickaxes can be found scattered throughout maintenance.
  • Disposals for the most part is entirely external and consists of launch pads that fling stuff to one pad to another through space. Inter-department disposals allows for departments to send packages to eachother quickly without the need of going to cargo first.
  • Every other external airlock room next to the bridges has 1-2 emergency space suits, which are essentially sub-par EVA suits that tear if you look at them in the wrong way, keeping their existence solely for 'quickly crossing space gaps without dying of space as quickly'.
  • Only two escape pods! Why? Because Nanotrasen is cheaper than usual and I always found the sardine-packing of escape pods to be hilarious.
  • Every department has an independent SMES room that all of those asteroid's departments run power off of. The SMES' themselves connect to Engineering's power supply.
  • Every head of staff has a personal quarters stationed on the bridge instead of a department office, including the QM. Get to know the other heads of staff a little bit before dying to cult/revs/admin 'events'.
Moving onto the greater, but not necessarily bigger things.

I already have an idea for the reincarnation that involves less mass while keeping the isolation aspect, so stay tuned or whatever in the near-ish future whenever I make enough progress on that to post new development.
Last edited by MMMiracles on Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------
Submitted by: sandstorm

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
then say "your cute" then push enter,wait until they say somthing back if they
don't go for another.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Re: Station Concept

Post by Okand37 » #234152

Sounds pretty interesting. You might want to give each department a tiny, 2x3 or so room that has an extra supply/scrubber pump incase all connections are cut to the department.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #234866

I would try it out!
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #234902

i think a station that really needed more EVA would be cool. as it is stations are too "thick" that is, causing enough damage to make things actually desperate survival-wise is only really possible with toxins-produced bombs, and that's it. part of this is because space suits are too common, the other part is that space isn't deadly enough, but making a more "isolated" island-station type would be pretty cool.

in fact i'll probably make a thread on this because i don't think human life is fragile enough in ss13. things need to break down more and humans need to produce more co2.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Re: Station Concept: Progress

Post by MMMiracles » #234905

Updated OP with actual mapping progress. I was concerned with how the layout would look in-game but so far I'm liking it enough to continue work.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

The best way to get a girl/boy friend is to click on them say "hi" then push enter
don't go for another.
danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #234917

cool idea
Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
onleavedontatme
Byond Username: KorPhaeron

Post by onleavedontatme » #234922

I have a fetish for bridges please make this happen
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235174

OP updated with more progress on the framework.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
TheColdTurtle
Byond Username: TheColdTurtle

Post by TheColdTurtle » #235182

Bring the shuttle docking down a bit more to fit all the shuttles we have
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #235196

The only concern I can think about is that there is going to be a lot of walking. Maybe you could try adding in a transit tube system?
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #235228

Kor wrote:I have a fetish for bridges please make this happen
basically this, i was hospitalized after we lost the asteroid spacebridge
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #235373

"TetherStation" might be a decent name, as to my understanding the concept is a lot of small asteroids tethered together by support latices and bridges.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235375

OP updated with progress, foundation pretty much complete. I'm gonna stop with full-scale map pictures for now because stitching together multiple images is tedious as fuck.
Okand37 wrote:The only concern I can think about is that there is going to be a lot of walking. Maybe you could try adding in a transit tube system?
I'll try and see what I can do about a transit system beside the disposal launchers. This thing takes up almost the entire z-level, so walking will kinda be hard to avoid no matter what I do in the end.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #235442

YESSSSSSSS.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #235549

I'm not sure I like that cargo shuttle dock.
It looks like it'll need a custom shuttle, which may be bad.

Also, cargo is literally bigger than engineering.

OH WAIT WAIT WHAT. QM ON THE BRIDGE.
FUCK YEAH TIME TO PLAY MORE LIGGER QM.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235563

DemonFiren wrote:I'm not sure I like that cargo shuttle dock.
It looks like it'll need a custom shuttle, which may be bad.

Also, cargo is literally bigger than engineering.

OH WAIT WAIT WHAT. QM ON THE BRIDGE.
FUCK YEAH TIME TO PLAY MORE LIGGER QM.
The cargo dock is fit for a shuttle the size of boxstation's current shuttle. It probably just looks bigger because I built the dock a lot more inward instead of sticking it to the side, mostly due to the map getting close to the z-level edge. That and I think it looks a lot cooler.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #235604

I love it. I'm assuming maintenance isn't done being fleshed out yet? I hope we get a ton of nooks and crannies drilled into the asteroids themselves, in lieu of a traditional maint.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #235608

Not sure I like perma being between armoury and sec, but since you have the most prison-like cellblock, consider putting some anti-riot pepperspray foam a la AI core.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235615

Atlanta-Ned wrote:I love it. I'm assuming maintenance isn't done being fleshed out yet? I hope we get a ton of nooks and crannies drilled into the asteroids themselves, in lieu of a traditional maint.
Maint will be after I get room layouts more fleshed out. The tunnels themselves are going to be dug-out pathways with the occasional wall for light fixtures. I'm debating on either making them rad-immune or making shelter rooms for each department to hide in during rad storms.
Iatots wrote:Not sure I like perma being between armoury and sec, but since you have the most prison-like cellblock, consider putting some anti-riot pepperspray foam a la AI core.
I'll think about repositioning the armory, the realization of sec potentially having to fight through prisoners for the armory didn't occur to me. Although that sounds like an interesting enough scenario to leave it like that. Riot foam does sound like a good idea.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #235643

It occurred to me that there is no area designated for the chief medical officer. It might be easier to swap out the QM's office with the CMO's than add a new space, but I'm not entirely sure.
I would personally suggest using fulltile windows on the bridges opposed to double one-directions, or atleast an exterior grille layer, but its up to you. You might need to expand arrivals or make an outward facing dock with only one bridge to fit some of our larger shuttles (take pubby or delta as an example, for reference deltastation's shuttle is 18 wide opposed to the 9 wide docks, a literal meaning to crashing this shuttle with no survivors?)

Over all I really like the aesthetic feel, especially the prong shaped docks as those are one of my favourite things about making docks personally. Its a really nice and unique map opposed to most of our current maps, and I really appreciate that you're taking a fun and different direction with this! I can't wait to see more of what you develop!
Copybass
Byond Username: Copybass

Post by Copybass » #235682

Okand37 wrote:It occurred to me that there is no area designated for the chief medical officer. It might be easier to swap out the QM's office with the CMO's than add a new space, but I'm not entirely sure.
I would personally suggest using fulltile windows on the bridges opposed to double one-directions, or atleast an exterior grille layer, but its up to you. You might need to expand arrivals or make an outward facing dock with only one bridge to fit some of our larger shuttles (take pubby or delta as an example, for reference deltastation's shuttle is 18 wide opposed to the 9 wide docks, a literal meaning to crashing this shuttle with no survivors?)

Over all I really like the aesthetic feel, especially the prong shaped docks as those are one of my favourite things about making docks personally. Its a really nice and unique map opposed to most of our current maps, and I really appreciate that you're taking a fun and different direction with this! I can't wait to see more of what you develop!
>stoked about QM getting higher treatment
>hopes immediately dashed by Okand
Come to think of it I feel like this kind of "Bridge Office" situation, if used for spawns, might not be the best for Rev. Which could be good or bad, kills the strat of running at a single spot looking for the head there and using that for basebuilding and creates something else altogether.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #235683

asteroid station heh

edit: give us maint
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235686

Okand37 wrote:It occurred to me that there is no area designated for the chief medical officer. It might be easier to swap out the QM's office with the CMO's than add a new space, but I'm not entirely sure.
Whoops. QM stays, I'll slip in a quarters for the CMO.
Okand37 wrote: You might need to expand arrivals or make an outward facing dock with only one bridge to fit some of our larger shuttles (take pubby or delta as an example, for reference deltastation's shuttle is 18 wide opposed to the 9 wide docks, a literal meaning to crashing this shuttle with no survivors?)
The departures dock is the outward facing dock area on the right. The prong-shaped docking area is arrivals. There should be more than enough room for the bigger shuttles, last I checked.
Copybass wrote: >stoked about QM getting higher treatment
>hopes immediately dashed by Okand
Come to think of it I feel like this kind of "Bridge Office" situation, if used for spawns, might not be the best for Rev. Which could be good or bad, kills the strat of running at a single spot looking for the head there and using that for basebuilding and creates something else altogether.
Rev probably doesn't need any more help with zerg-rush strats. If anything, this makes it easier to convert your department as you have some spare time between the heads meeting each other and walking down to their respective department. A ballsy rev could probably even jump a head on their way to their department if they're quick enough.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #235749

Woops sorry, I guess I was looking at the wrong docks, my bad! I think that should fit all of our shuttles (aside from the dreaded asteroid) nicely! I look forward to seeing more work, keep up the great job! : )
Dagdammit
Byond Username: Dagdammit

Post by Dagdammit » #235848

I like it a lot. Maybe atmos backpacks can be in atmos closets near one end of every bridge, so they can effect stopgap repairs with metal foam? Transit tuuuuubes might also be fun option to explore. How do disposals function?

Atmos is one possible issue. My impression is that the main atmosia gas repositories on other stations were all very deliberately in isolated cells that would each vent directly into open space upon breach, to avert some horrible pressure cooker scenario. Your engineering could instead have a horrible pressure cooker that, for an encore, releases the sing.
DemonFiren
Byond Username: DemonFiren

Post by DemonFiren » #235860

There is literally nothing wrong with that.
ImageImageImageImageImage

non-lizard things:
Spoiler:
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235924

I'm currently working on the department aesthetics, inspiration is a sort of mix of box/meta for colors/floor design. As an example, here is the bridge currently:
Spoiler:
As a note in department change, dorms felt really weirdly cramped with private rooms so I've gone the route of a barracks setup. I'll probably remodel it again but this is the general idea.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #235931

Barracks is an.. interesting design. I would suggest avoiding having buckle items behind buckle items in corners so that if someone is buckled, the person can get around it/past it instead of being stuck (same applies for chairs in rooms, make sure to give space around them so people can walk around buckled people.) I would personally suggest going with a bed and footlocker design with personal 'footlockers' (crates or safes?) near the beds for personal storage.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #235934

Okand37 wrote:Barracks is an.. interesting design. I would suggest avoiding having buckle items behind buckle items in corners so that if someone is buckled, the person can get around it/past it instead of being stuck (same applies for chairs in rooms, make sure to give space around them so people can walk around buckled people.) I would personally suggest going with a bed and footlocker design with personal 'footlockers' (crates or safes?) near the beds for personal storage.
Beds force you to lay down when buckled so there's no issue with getting over people. I'll look into the foot locker idea, though. I like it better than personal lockers.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Sweaterkittens
Byond Username: SweaterKittens

Post by Sweaterkittens » #236003

I love this idea, this map looks like it'd be a fucking riot to play on. And I hate new maps.

The only thing I would change is moving the sleepers in medical down with the Cryo tubes, so it's a whole 'treatment area' like on Box, and giving the current sleeper area to the CMO to use as an office.
ImageImage
Spoiler:
Luke Cox
Byond Username: NocturnalQuill

Post by Luke Cox » #236301

Looks pretty fucking cool. Having each department as an almost literal island is going to make for some interesting interaction with team antag modes like cult or rev.
Armhulen
Global Moderator
Byond Username: Armhulenn
Github Username: bazelart

Post by Armhulen » #236309

How has NOBODY thought of this before? I LOVE IT!

segregatedstationwhen
Fiz Bump
Byond Username: Dennyb

Post by Fiz Bump » #236319

Since Botany and the Bar are seperated by a hallway, make sure to put in a disposal loop or shuttered conveyer belt between the two.
I play Fiz Bump.
I am not a game admin. My reign of badminnery ended a few years ago.View me feedback here: >:^)
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #236322

so like basically ass station but with more space?
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #236344

I think that the reason I love this map so much is because so many other maps feel like shitty, rehashed versions of Box and Meta that change things for the sake of not looking like carbon copies of them. This map, on the other hand, has a completely different design paradigm that tries to do something new.
PKPenguin321 wrote:so like basically ass station but with more space?
Ass station but not ass
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236375

Thanks for the positive comments, will take suggestions into consideration as I keep fleshing out individual departments.

As an update, I've more or less completed all the department room adjustments and added in the fancy flooring so it isn't all just a gray mass. I've started working on individual departments to finalize them, starting with engineering. Expect pictures later today or whenever I feel like sinking a couple extra hours in today.

EDIT: Almost done with engineering and the surrounding area, all I really have to do is finish up atmospherics and I can move on to other departments.

Lit up version:
Spoiler:
Darkness version:
Spoiler:
Engineering gets a few compact pickaxes to go along with their mesons for those who feel the need to do expansion projects/whatever. The maintenance tunnels themselves are just dug-out pathways with bulbs littering the walls for some light. I'm not sure if I should keep it like this or go the standard maintenance tunnel route.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Luke Cox

Post by Luke Cox » #236444

Any idea as to what the finished station is going to be called?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236446

Luke Cox wrote:Any idea as to what the finished station is going to be called?
I was going to go with something that fits in the name "Ceres", as that's one of the first documented asteroids. "Ceres-Station" doesn't sound all that great, though.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #236451

mush em together, CereStation
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Atlanta-Ned
In-Game Game Master
Byond Username: Atlanta-ned

Post by Atlanta-Ned » #236453

MMMiracles wrote:
Luke Cox wrote:Any idea as to what the finished station is going to be called?
I was going to go with something that fits in the name "Ceres", as that's one of the first documented asteroids. "Ceres-Station" doesn't sound all that great, though.
Literally go read/watch The Expanse.
Statbus! | Admin Feedback
OOC: Pizzatiger: God damn Atlanta, how are you so fucking smart and charming. It fucking pisses me off how perfect you are
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #236455

engineering looks great. i've always favored engine containments that were centrally located; having them on the fringes of the station is pretty boring.
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236489

I wrapped up tonight's progress with actually finishing Atmospherics.
Spoiler:
Its a bit messy at the moment but it works. I might look into compacting it more when I can look at piping again without dying a little inside. All of the central asteroid has some fort of scrubber/vent system hooked up with external pipes on the bridge catwalks branching off to the other departmental asteroids.

Other than a few minor details and touch-ups, Engineering is essentially done. I'll either start on the Service or Command/Security section next.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236632

You could compact the green tubes to be on the floors near the wall, and the pure pipes to be on the next layer in past the green pipes, it would save you some space and organize the pipes a lot. Everything else looks like its ship shape and all the essentials are there, great job! I might suggest moving E.V.A. or making a second one as while you have the light space suits in mind, the actual suits (of which there are only 4) will be gone if the singularity looses. I doubt it'll be too much of an issue with the light space suits, but something to consider maybe?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236648

EVA being one of the first things to go when the engine breaks loose is intentional. I don't want people running straight for EVA to negate the damage caused, so they're either forced to grab a shitty suit and be at a disadvantage or hope the engine doesn't choose their department as the place it strays towards.

Compacting Atmospherics is probably going to be the last thing on my list to do after everything else is done because mapping pipes is tedious as fuck and I actually want to stay motivated to finish this project.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236651

MMMiracles wrote:EVA being one of the first things to go when the engine breaks loose is intentional. I don't want people running straight for EVA to negate the damage caused, so they're either forced to grab a shitty suit and be at a disadvantage or hope the engine doesn't choose their department as the place it strays towards.

Compacting Atmospherics is probably going to be the last thing on my list to do after everything else is done because mapping pipes is tedious as fuck and I actually want to stay motivated to finish this project.
Makes sense!

If you want, I can retrace the structure and re-organize the pipes for you and send you the .dmm so you can focus on the rest of the station?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236659

Well, I'd be pretty grateful if you did. I don't want to touch pipes for a bit.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #236662

MMMiracles wrote:Well, I'd be pretty grateful if you did. I don't want to touch pipes for a bit.
Sure thing, I'll get to you back later today with it! Do you want me to make a distro loop for it too?
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #236664

Okand37 wrote:
MMMiracles wrote:Well, I'd be pretty grateful if you did. I don't want to touch pipes for a bit.
Sure thing, I'll get to you back later today with it! Do you want me to make a distro loop for it too?
If you can manage to fit a proper distro loop, have at it. I more or less just have the air line heading out the main door with the mix chamber linking to it.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #236667

make the bridges retractable like goon!
MMMiracles
Code Maintainer

Post by MMMiracles » #237247

As an update, I've made progress on the service wing. I've finished mapping tool storage, bar, kitchen, and the holodeck. Hydroponics, library, fitness, and chapel still need work. Pipes and wires are done for everything on the service wing. Screenshot of progress later once I finish the remaining service departments.
cocothegogo wrote:make the bridges retractable like goon!
The airbridges on goon are cool but I'm using the bridges as catwalks for wiring/pipes as well. The distances also feel too far-apart for an airbridge to make much sense, at least with how goon utilizes them.
Spoiler:
Hints:
------

don't go for another.