Omega Station

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
Techbane
Byond Username: Munkee79

Re: Omega Station

Post by Techbane » #254266

Bottom post of the previous page:

Okay, until such time as the creator returns and I am denounced for my blaspheming ways, I suppose I'll post my tweaked version for people to try playing with. Most notably it fixes power lines to APC's and air distro from atmospherics, as well as everything listed in my post above, some suggestions from the thread, and a MASSIVE list of things I tackled just this morning. Hopefully the map is mostly ready to play seriously now, and I included a plaintext quickstart guide for setting up the supermatter engine.

Download

I think the biggest caveat at this point is just that it still needs more security cameras.
Last edited by Techbane on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Techbane
Byond Username: Munkee79

Post by Techbane » #256225

Update! Did some pretty significant rejiggering of atmospherics, fixed some more broken air pipes and some area designations, installed a ton more security cameras, edited chemistry, bunch of other stuff.

Edit: whoops, hotfix for an extraneous camera in medbay

Download
Qbopper
Byond Username: Qbopper
Github Username: Qbopper

Post by Qbopper » #258257

Two issues.

1. The reactive armour doesn't spawn, but traitors can roll picking it up as an objective - you shoul;d probably go down the list of traitor objectives and ensure they're on the station or removed from the list for Omega.

2. The doomsday device doesn't work the same was as box's self destruct terminal - this ended up killing a round's gimmick. I'm not aware of the differences between the two, so this could be user error, but no matter what we did we couldn't get the doomsday device to work.
Limey wrote:its too late.
Okand37
Byond Username: Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #310958

Not sure how long it has been since it has been updated, but I'm trying to pick back up maintenance on this map to grind out those bugs and other nasty critters.

Let me know here if you have any questions or concerns, specifically if you have any reports of things that haven't been fixed so we can accumulate a list of things that need changing or fixing!

Things done:
Tidy'd up the telecomms room to fit consistently with the rest of the station's style
Replaced the 'doomsday_device' machinery with a functioning 'nuclearbomb/selfdestruct' model
Replaced the smoke book in the chapel with its lesser cousin
Clean up the departures hallway
Change the one-sided door warning lines to double sided
Add a sliding door to the bar
Finish up adding the rest of the objective items (like the reactive teleportation armour)
Fixed a patch of non-reinforced walls leading into the science department unintentionally

Things planned to do:
Add a prisoner transferring center

P.S. big shoutout to Techbane (Munkee79) for helping keep this ship afloat while I was gone. A round of applause!
Last edited by Okand37 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Are you being the neighbour Mr. Rogers would've wanted you to be?
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Post by oranges » #312922

woooooooo OkAnd GO
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #323260

It occurs to me that I forgot to take a picture and post it here of the adjusted departures walkway area.
Last edited by Okand37 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #323314

Looks like escape.
Also looks like some meme fans found their way in the airlocks.
pubby
Github User
Byond Username: Pubby
Github Username: pubby

Post by pubby » #323457

Tiny fans are banned from station maps. Use cyclelinkeddir instead.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #323504

Iatots wrote:Looks like escape.
Also looks like some meme fans found their way in the airlocks.
pubby wrote:Tiny fans are banned from station maps. Use cyclelinkeddir instead.
Yes, I accidentally said arrivals instead of departures, my bad!
Those have been there since the station was originally added. See here for an example of the original station when it was added.
Iatots
Byond Username: Iatots
Github Username: Iatots

Post by Iatots » #323513

Tiny fans have been removed from most of delta a while ago: https://github.com/tgstation/tgstation/pull/28890
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #369978

As it seems Terry will be using this map more often, or might, I'll be finishing it as it'll be seeing more active use.
BeeSting12
Byond Username: BeeSting12
Github Username: BeeSting12

Post by BeeSting12 » #370136

My personal complaint about the map is that the AI core looks like it was made for extended. You have to hack like, one door or smash a window to bypass all of its defenses. The AI should get a better defended core preferably offstation so if it rolls traitor it has half a chance of defending itself.
Edward Sloan, THE LAW
Melanie Flowers, Catgirl
Borgasm, Cyborg
Spoiler:
OOC: Hunterh98: to be fair sloan is one of the, if not the, most robust folks on tg

DEAD: Schlomo Gaskin says, "sloan may be a faggot but he gets the job done"

DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "YOU'RE EVERYWHERE WHERE BAD SHIT IS HAPPENING"
DEAD: Rei Ayanami says, "IT'S ALWAYS FUCKING EDWARD SLOAN"
oranges wrote:Bee sting is honestly the nicest admin, I look forward to seeing him as a headmin one day
[2020-05-21 01:21:48.923] SAY: Crippo/(Impala Chainee) "Shaggy Voice - She like... wants to get Eiffel Towered bro!!" (Brig (125, 166, 2))
hows my driving?
Hatfish
Byond Username: Hatfish

Post by Hatfish » #370476

The station nuke is still missing, instead there's the malf AI's doomsday device where it should be.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #370537

Hatfish wrote:The station nuke is still missing, instead there's the malf AI's doomsday device where it should be.
I was pretty certain I fixed it in PR #33980 but I'll take a second look.
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #370612

needs station blueprints so you can expand the station for funsies
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #370619

SpaceInaba wrote:needs station blueprints so you can expand the station for funsies

the latest PR Okand mentioned in previous post should've added them.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes
SpaceInaba
Byond Username: SpaceInaba

Post by SpaceInaba » #370620

oh! I missed that pr my bad
Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
fuck,
yorii
Github User
Byond Username: Yorpan
Github Username: yorii

Post by yorii » #371327

Hello Okand! I've really been enjoying this map in lowpop lately, despite initially hating it. But I have a few tweaks, suggestions and bugfixes you could consider: (in no particular order)

Adding a recharger to the captains quarters and the hops office.

Adding a medical wrench to the medbay so that they can wrench their O2 canister to cryo.

Moving said O2 canister and/or the table behind it so that it can be reached from in front of cryo with the canister wrenched without having to walk around behind it.

Adding a box of pill bottles to the chemlab.

Adding a box of mouse traps to the janitorial closet. Maybe also lowering the amounts of mice spawned as it often doesn't take long for them to have eaten cables in every single maintenance tunnel.

Adding a few more boxes of donk pockets to the kitchen, as it currently is there are only two boxes aboard the whole station, with an extra possibly spawning outside. These two boxes are often all gone within the first hour.

Adding an extra pair of insulated gloves to engineering? People still don't seem to have learned where the maintenance pair is and having two engineers will often end in them arguing over gloves.

Adding a HoS role. More of a wish really, since with only two heads it is impossible to authorize an early launch of the shuttle without having given people promotions, and it's one of the departments which can be most easily expanded due to having dead areas just north of it.

Emergency Maintenance Protocols will make the captains quarters accessible by anyone which is probably not intended.

Maybe slightly rework atmos to make it a bit clearer how the pipes go, correct me if I'm wrong but are the distro and scrubber air pipes actually going around outside the room?

I love the new AI sat, but I can't really figure out where it gets power from? Is it only running on fully charged SMES with no recharge the whole round?

The AI sat transit tubes could do with some extra protection.

I hope this post didn't end up being way too long now, I really appreciate you taking the time to update this map, it has gone from being nearly broken to being fully playable and enjoyable this past week or two. Thank you!
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #371334

yorii wrote:snip
I'll take a look at most of these. For the most part, a lot of the updates have just been temporary patchwork, so they still need to be refined (ie: no external power wire or air pipe running to the A.I. satellite) but I'll let you know here when I've made a new PR!
yorii
Github User

Post by yorii » #371341

Okand37 wrote:
yorii wrote:snip
I'll take a look at most of these. For the most part, a lot of the updates have just been temporary patchwork, so they still need to be refined (ie: no external power wire or air pipe running to the A.I. satellite) but I'll let you know here when I've made a new PR!
Awesome! You're the best :happy:
yorii
Github User

Post by yorii » #373647

I assume the station blueprints must be located in the safe in the vault? Because I've not been able to find them yet.
If they are in the safe, it would be nice to have a stethoscope in the medbay so that it can actually be cracked.
Okand37

Post by Okand37 » #374525

yorii wrote:I assume the station blueprints must be located in the safe in the vault? Because I've not been able to find them yet.
If they are in the safe, it would be nice to have a stethoscope in the medbay so that it can actually be cracked.
They are in the vault, unless I've accidentally removed them. I'll take a look at the stethoscope issue along with the aforementioned when I have the chance to! Thanks for bringing it to my attention! : )
Selea
Byond Username: Serpentarium

Post by Selea » #377348

I've tryed to stick there circuit lab.But failed to do it in acceptable way.Please, try to do it.
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #393286

I recently expanded atmos, botany and xenobio a bit. What I'd like to do after the freeze is:

- Remap one of the xenobio pens into a proper containment chamber (forcefield, shutters, camera, gas injector)
- Add solars, probably south of departures/east of robotics
- Run a cable under the AI sat transit tube, allowing it to be connected to the main power grid
- Add more maint space next to/around areas that could use it (cargo, xenobio, bridge)

What do you think?
Farquaar
Byond Username: Farquaar

Post by Farquaar » #414158

My brief thoughts after playing several rounds as chef on Omega:

1. The kitchen is too far from botany, preventing adequate supply. This is the most important issue. Most maps (Box, Meta, Pubby, Delta) have a smartfridge that allows for easy transfer of plants from botany (plant bag empties into fridge) and easy retrieval by the chef (take out plants as you need them). An added benefit of this design is that the chef can grow his own food if there is no botanist, or if botany is too busy/lazy to help the chef (which, coming from somebody who plays botanist often, is usually the latter). Omega eschews this designs, making any transactions between chefs and botanists incredibly cumbersome, resulting in all-donkpocket diets with the occasional deep fried appendix burger.

Suggestions: This is a difficult fix to make, given Omega's lack of free space. The kitchen/bar could be switched with the theatre/backstage, placing it closer to botany. A more creative, if not tricky solution would be to set up a disposal pipe-like system that allows botanists to deposit contents of a plant bag to be shuttled to the kitchen, possibly even to a smartfridge (though such a system is not ideal, given the lack of space in both Omega's botany and the kitchen).

2. The kitchen lacks some useful tools. Not only is the snack cart missing (presumably due to the lack of space), but there is no package paper or label maker. Label makers and writing tools are already quite rare in Omegastation. Given that a good chef may want to use menus or custom labels for foods, it would be prudent to have these tools in the kitchen, easily placed on the rack.

Suggestion: Give the kitchen a labelmaker, packaging paper and a paper bin (possibly on the table with the clipboard/action figure). Make space for a snack cart, possibly by removing the redundant sink in the kitchen's back room.

3. The mess hall(way) is way too big. I understand the idea you were going for, to allow the diner to double as a major hallway. While hallways are good and necessary, the combination with the diner has resulted in something gigantic and unrenovatable, while intruding on the already tiny kitchen and hydroponics bay. As it stands, the mess hall(way) looks like a waste of precious space.

Suggestion: Reduce the width of the mess hall. The tables may not even be necessary, given that most people eat'/drink at the kitchen and bar counters. Thus, we can increase the size of the kitchen without impeding traffic through the hallway. If the chef wants separated tables, he/she can build them, a la Metastation. The chairs facing the theater can also be removed to make more space. After all, nobody ever uses the theater to perform, and if they wanted to they could easily make a better setup than the one that exists.

4. Sometimes, less is more. I already mentioned that the tables in the mess hall could easily be removed to solve some space/traffic issues, but is more of a subjective opinion. All the clutter on the mess hall tables isn't necessary, and makes it a lot more difficult to make the diner one's own. Every single table tile has a fork, or a tray, or a piece of junk food on it, meaning that the chef has to spend what little time he's got to take out the trash before he can set up a classy restaurant or a sushi bar.

Suggestion: Honestly, while I'd rather the tables be scrapped all together for a kitchen extension or redesign of the mess hall to place botany and the kitchen adjacent to each other, I just had to get this off my chest. Let the spacemen be creative! Let them choose what garbage they scatter!

Alright, should be it. I'd also like to add that I've heard many complaints about cargo's size and layout, though that should be easier to modify given its position and the margin of the station. If you've got any questions, I'll try my best to answer.
► Show Spoiler
Denton
Byond Username: Denton-30
Github Username: 81Denton

Post by Denton » #414234

I agree with you, having botany away from the kitchen is a pain in the dong.

I gotta say, it doesn't seem likely to me that anyone will do big changes to Omega anytime soon, now that maintainers are thinking about reducing the number of maps in rotation.

Personally, for a lowpop map I'd rather work on Pubbystation since it doesn't have structural issues that need a lot of annoying work to fix, like the lack of maint space, solars, xenobio containment, SME emitter chamber, the kitchen/botany issue, etc.
Rustledjimm
Byond Username: Rustledjimm

Post by Rustledjimm » #414515

I have to agree here. With the main map maintainer working for CM it seems unlikely Omega will receive any major updates from now on. I believe working on Pubbystation is better for our low-pop station.
So uhh, I'm an admin. Please leave feedback! Oops took me a while to strike that through.

Will Baker
Suzu Suzaku
TBC
Spoiler:
Personal Ban Length Record: 2.1024e+006 minutes