Some thoughts on mapping

Mapping Ideas and Sprite Galleries
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Some thoughts on mapping

Post by paprika » #237013

I've said this in private messages across the stars, and maybe in some forum posts, but I feel the need to reiterate and maybe open a dialogue about this because I find it interesting

Boxstation is turbo trash from an efficiency standpoint. Probably the only decent efficient thing about box station is that the singularity is so far away from the center of the station that it sometimes flies into space. I've seen some people confused as to why almost every space station server runs this same map, despite the relative (if not time consuming) ease of mapping in space station.

Surely, someone with an intense knowledge of the game, round flow, and game design would make a good map, right?

Well, the reason every server runs box is familiarity. Most know this, but I feel the need to reiterate. This game is extremely based on map knowledge. If you play on one server for a week and go to the next and all your map knowledge is reset, oftentimes the lack of familiarity will turn players away. Some servers have tried to rectify this problem with custom maps by having things like minimaps and wall direction signs (something I brought to /tg/ from baystation) but the mini map design is super clunky. This isn't me trying to say that players should like change stuffed down their face -- I'm only trying to say it's probably the reason most new maps aren't accepted. Box has been developed on for years and still has the same problems it always had, but these problems have become features depending on who you ask (arrivals being fucking no man's land is a good example)

tl;dr: Maps are a whole lot less about design and a lot more about familiarity and ease of navigation. This is why people like box, and why most players will say they like box despite not being able to articulate why.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
oranges
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: Optimumtact
Github Username: optimumtact

Re: Some thoughts on mapping

Post by oranges » #237027

And that is why admins forcing a map down peoples throats for 76 million rounds in a row will ensure that map will never be liked.
Alipheese
Byond Username: Daturix
Github Username: Daturix

Post by Alipheese » #237028

paprika wrote:I've said this in private messages across the stars, and maybe in some forum posts, but I feel the need to reiterate and maybe open a dialogue about this because I find it interesting

Boxstation is turbo trash from an efficiency standpoint. Probably the only decent efficient thing about box station is that the singularity is so far away from the center of the station that it sometimes flies into space. I've seen some people confused as to why almost every space station server runs this same map, despite the relative (if not time consuming) ease of mapping in space station.

Surely, someone with an intense knowledge of the game, round flow, and game design would make a good map, right?

Well, the reason every server runs box is familiarity. Most know this, but I feel the need to reiterate. This game is extremely based on map knowledge. If you play on one server for a week and go to the next and all your map knowledge is reset, oftentimes the lack of familiarity will turn players away. Some servers have tried to rectify this problem with custom maps by having things like minimaps and wall direction signs (something I brought to /tg/ from baystation) but the mini map design is super clunky. This isn't me trying to say that players should like change stuffed down their face -- I'm only trying to say it's probably the reason most new maps aren't accepted. Box has been developed on for years and still has the same problems it always had, but these problems have become features depending on who you ask (arrivals being fucking no man's land is a good example)

tl;dr: Maps are a whole lot less about design and a lot more about familiarity and ease of navigation. This is why people like box, and why most players will say they like box despite not being able to articulate why.
But no one likes box

Screenshots.
Spoiler:
Quotes.
Spoiler:
PKPenguin321 wrote:holy shit that engineering setup
that man deserves a medal
Anonmare wrote:Gee Engie, why does your mom let you have TWO singulos?
The Legend of Scrubs, MD
You are a traitor!
Your current objectives:
Objective #1: They mocked you in life, a lesser janiborg they said. Now they shall know terror.
Objective #2: Hijack the shuttle to ensure no loyalist Nanotrasen crew escape alive and out of custody.
Cuboos wrote: > That god damn engineer who let the singularity loose was a traitor and the only reasonable person on that whole entire station.
PKPenguin321
Site Admin
Byond Username: PKPenguin321
Github Username: PKPenguin321

Post by PKPenguin321 » #237045

huh no shit
i play Lauser McMauligan. clown name is Cold-Ass Honkey
i have three other top secret characters as well.
tell the best admin how good he is
Spoiler:
Saegrimr
Byond Username: Saegrimr

Post by Saegrimr » #237047

What needs to be "efficient"? Does mining really need to be right next to science, medbay dead center, and engineering on a completely different z-level to prevent escapes? Does everything in engineering need to be pre-set up? Why?
tedward1337 wrote:Sae is like the racist grandad who everyone laughs at for being racist, but deep down we all know he's right.
Cik
Byond Username: Cik

Post by Cik » #237078

efficiency isn't even really desirable

box works fine, it's not the length of the walk that prevents people from cooperating, it's the pain of trying to interact with another human being, the conversation taking awhile, and the fact that you are vulnerable while typing (also that many times it isn't even required due to years of feature creep)
Wyzack
Byond Username: Wyzack

Post by Wyzack » #237084

oranges wrote:And that is why admins forcing a map down peoples throats for 76 million rounds in a row will ensure that map will never be liked.
except that forcing people to play a map will increase familiarity with it, and therefore according to paprika, enjoyment
Arthur Thomson says, "Since there are no admins I would loging with another account and kill you"
Caleb Robinson laughs.
Arthur Thomson catches fire!
tusterman11 wrote:Can you stop lying? I just asked you and you are was a piece of shiit on me!!!
Kor wrote:I wish Wyzack was still an admin.
EngamerAzari's real number one fangirl <3
certified good poster
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #237092

Wyzack wrote:
oranges wrote:And that is why admins forcing a map down peoples throats for 76 million rounds in a row will ensure that map will never be liked.
except that forcing people to play a map will increase familiarity with it, and therefore according to paprika, enjoyment
It's not as though maps can't be horrendously shit, and in most cases, they are unfinished and usually are shit. Metastation is only kinda regarded as the other official map because it was ran on server 2 for years. Honestly most of it is opinionated, but there's a reason most server 2 players hated box and most server 1 players hated metastation, and that's where the argument of familiarity comes in. It's just something to consider, though if you read my post as a declaration that familiarity is the only contributing factor to a map's success, not sure if you should be allowed computer time by your parents
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
cocothegogo
Byond Username: Cocothegog0

Post by cocothegogo » #237200

people dont know what's good for them, should genuinely just have a map vote at the end of a round the current map voting system is gay