[MERGED] Hostile Lockdown ability for Malf AIs!

How, what and why to code in BYOND.

Would you like this feature added?

Approve
17%
Approve
17%
Approve
17%
Reject
10%
Reject
10%
Reject
10%
Revise
1%
Revise
1%
Revise
1%
Abstain
5%
Abstain
5%
Abstain
5%

Total votes: 78

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

[MERGED] Hostile Lockdown ability for Malf AIs!

Post by Gun Hog » #3237

I wish to grant the Malf AI a new ability - Hostile Lockdown, costing 20 CPU time!

- This ability activates all firelocks
- Closes all blast doors and shutters
- Closes and shock-bolts all airlocks that the AI can control, crushing anyone standing in a doorway when it happens.
- Sets the screen display to "Lockdown"

The lockdown can be reversed using the "Disable Lockdown" verb.
- Lifting the lockdown opens everything that was locked down by the AI. (Airlocks close again shortly after)
- Lifting the lockdown restores airlocks to a safe and functional setting.
Justification for this ability provided here: http://www.ss13.eu/tgdb/latest_stats.ht ... alfunction

It is my hope that this and further tweaks will help to even out the win/loss rate for the AI during this mode!

PR found here! https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/532
It is merged!
Last edited by Gun Hog on Sun May 18, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Re: [POLL] Hostile Lockdown ability for Malf AIs!

Post by Neerti » #3265

I don't see how something that's easily circumvented and can be done by the AI manually for free deserves to be worth 40 CPU.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #3295

Well, it is for the entire station.
At once.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #3297

It's loud and obvious, prevents plasma fire and other gases ruining the station, is too general and all in all seems to have little benefit to the AI. If a guy can circumvent one door like that he can circumvent another in ten seconds.

If I'm trying to separate people I should lockdown manually and more specifically.

Incredibly expensive and loud with very little benefit to the AI as a result.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #3318

Make them able to fuck vending machines too like the random event does.
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Giacom
Byond Username: Giacomand

Post by Giacom » #3327

You can already make machines rise up and kill humans.
Check out my MiniStation map, for low population servers. http://tgstation13.org/wiki/MiniStation
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #3337

Get on my level faggots

What you need is a power that explodes all welding fuel tanks.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #3339

Its a neat power in theory, but in practice all its going to do is loudly advertise to the crew that you are a Malf AI and you just spent almost half of your CPU to bolt down the station, which is not as effective as you might imagine if the crew is half way competent.

If the power cost around 10 to 20 CPU to execute it might be viable, but right now it seems to expensive to consider.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #3402

The usefulness of this probably depends on the map. You should consider adding an option to set different cost values for different maps in case we ever get that map switching thing implemented.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #3569

I can drop it to 20 if that seems more acceptable. I always thought that station-wide bolt shocking would be quite powerful as it hinders everyone without gloves and tools. I have not even PR'ed it for NTStation yet, so I can freely tweak it as needed. And yes, it is loud. It is meant to be loud. There is no way around it, even if I removed fire alarm and lockdown screen from the code, it would be ousted in seconds that a station-wide shock-bolt has occurred.

Also remember that the AI can reverse it at any time.
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Post by Jeb » #3575

Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #3670

Edited my PR in /tg/ to be 20 CPU! That should make it more tasty if it ever gets in.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #4195

I like it. Could definitely stall the crew a TON. Even if they know that the doors are shocked most crew members will be retarded enough to touch them a ton anyway, out of habit. Even if it's a big HOLY SHIT I'M MALF sign, it's still disorienting enough with the bright ass fire alarm lights to stall the crew in getting to you.

Edit: This is stronger than you might think though, woeful AI players. As much as you might want to make malf AI blob strong or whatever. It's not about AI balance, it's more about the AI being a hard role to master and antag AI goes hand in hand with that. Most of the AI losses are from poor AI players who play malf AI once or twice and get streamrolled so they turn it off. Just saying, AI is incredibly strong but like blob, you need to get good. There's a very small niche group of players that making malf strong will benefit and the worst part is these are the players that typically win malf so all you're really doing is making the good players even stronger and handing the bad players a crutch so malf is easier than blob. :lol:
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Helios127
Rarely plays

Re: [POLL][PR] Hostile Lockdown ability for Malf AIs!

Post by Helios127 » #6071

Course you gotta remember that the downside is... it also bolts all doors! Meaning your borgs might not get everyone.

Oh! It should also put *everyone* on arrest.
just play on /vg/station, go have fun for christs sake
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #6084

Now that's just taking the effort out of shit for the sake of taking effort out of shit.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #6101

Why is everyone the *&!^ pug?

That said, borgs can unbolt doors, so thats not an issue Helios.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #6127

Indeed. If you have borgies, they can unbolt and re-bolt at will. Keep in mind that the AI can unbolt and open EVERYTHING at once, as many times as it wants. This ability is not just "lol bolt-shock everything I win". If you think that is all it takes, then prepare to cry and wonder why you lost. Use it well. Door crush people. Flood plasma in select areas (this helps to conserve plasma) and if they are stupid enough to touch a door, you have yourself a fire! This power is all about containment. You slow down the crew and give yourself some time to think and manage the threats. You cannot much to stop engineers (unless they are unprepared or incompetent), clowns, assistants or certain heads (HoS, CE, Captain, RD if he has bombs or tools). You are most likely to get wrecked by assistants and engineers.

This power helps borgs to hunt down enemies. It is hard to escape when everything is bolt-shocked, even an engineer needs a good few seconds to get a door opened. Also keep in mind that simply disrupting the airlock's power will render it immune to the lockdown or release powers. Borgs can do that if they have an airlock they need to stay open or closed.

Fun tidbit if you play on Sibyl. If they approve this power there - the AI will not need to set anyone to arrest. It can simply hack the securitron and it will arrest everything in range! I call this the "Skynet" strategy. I am hoping to open up another winnable style of play other than "Hide core in mining" or "Door Fortress 13". "Borg Swarm" is balanced by the sheer ease of stopping it.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #6221

I'm surprised you didn't mention "flood minisat with plasma" since that's literally the most effective strategy against -anything- that isn't an atmos tech hardsuit.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6234

paprika wrote:I'm surprised you didn't mention "flood minisat with plasma" since that's literally the most effective strategy against -anything- that isn't an atmos tech hardsuit.
>Toss in a welder
>Hope the AI bought that heat damage protection that doesn't do anything!
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6248

AIs/borgs are already fire-immune.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #6270

Neerti wrote:AIs/borgs are already fire-immune.
Really? I'm sure I've died as a Borg in plasma fire before.

So that ability is SUPER useless.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #6386

Lasers do burn damage you moron.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #6389

paprika wrote:Lasers do burn damage you moron.
The fireproof ability is completely and utterly useless. It does not affect the amount of burn damage taken from any weapon. It simply adds fireproofing to an object that already is fireproof.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6390

You don't have to call him a moron. It's a pretty crappy/overpriced ability nobody uses anyways.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #6559

Gun Hog wrote: The fireproof ability is completely and utterly useless. It does not affect the amount of burn damage taken from any weapon. It simply adds fireproofing to an object that already is fireproof.
It has nothing to do with fire or plasma or anything like that, it's meant to be a laser proofing on your core, that's why it's expensive.

Code: Select all

/mob/living/silicon/ai/updatehealth()
	if(status_flags & GODMODE)
		health = maxHealth
		stat = CONSCIOUS
		return
	health = maxHealth - getOxyLoss() - getToxLoss() - getBruteLoss()
	if(!fire_res_on_core)
		health -= getFireLoss()
This code is p bad now that I look at it. But the intention behind the malf power is pretty clear. Someone ought to fix this.
420goslingboy69
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Usednapkin

Re: [MERGED] Hostile Lockdown ability for Malf AIs!

Post by 420goslingboy69 » #13737

Just saw this used in a round. Most OP ability I've ever seen in ss13. Makes everyone but Engineers basically stuck. Add the ability to add fires into rooms and remove gravity gg so quick.
i play :):):):):)autumn sinnow
this man's:):):):):) army
DESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTRO:):):):):)YERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERD:):):):):)ESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROY:):):):):)ERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDEST:):):):):)ROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDES:):):):):)TROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYERDESTROYER
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

danno
Byond Username: Dannno

Post by danno » #13795

Hornygranny wrote: wtf i like danno now
I don't even play ss13 anymore, pretty much due to dannos stupid bullshit
Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #13869

I killed the whole server with it, resulting in a successful restart vote. On Sybil. With forty players.

It's cool and fun, bit needs to be like three times more expensive
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #13918

Moar price needed then.