2%
Abstain
2%

Total votes: 48

Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

[MERGED] AI Sensor Augmentations!

Post by Gun Hog » #6380

Following Paprika's idea thread here: http://tgstation13.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=394

Introducing the Sensor Augmentation function for station AIs! This set of features, inspired by Paprika, gives live, prudent medical or security data directly relevant to the crew members the AI is viewing. It includes three new sensors for the AI to use as needed.

Security Augmentation
This function gives the AI the ability to identify the job and security status of any human crew member it sees. Unlike the cyborg or human versions, it strictly read-only. The AI is not able to set a human's security status this way, nor can it detect any implants. Its function is equal to that of the one used by pAI units.

Life Signs Augmentation
Perhaps the most useful of settings for Asimov AIs, this augmentation gives the AI a read-only medical HUD. Identical to the pAI function, it will provide data on wellness and infection status.

Light Amplification Augmentation
An extremely helpful function to have during a power or lighting outage, it will function as NVG do for humans. The AI will be given vision in darkness such that it may remain operational in areas it is most critically needed.
*Note, This does not increase the AI's vision range! The AI has always been able to see and use machines in darkness. Experienced AI players would simply raise their gamma settings to have full visibility restored. Blind spots as a result of damaged or missing cameras will remain. This is intended only to remove an unfair advantage of veteran AI players to novice ones.

Please visit the PR on Github, here: https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/575 It is merged!
Last edited by Gun Hog on Thu May 22, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: [POLL][PR] AI Sensor Augmentations!

Post by paprika » #6385

Eugh, not a fan of that night vision one. That's why camera lights exist. Give that one the axe, honestly, not a thing AIs should have.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6422

paprika wrote:Eugh, not a fan of that night vision one. That's why camera lights exist. Give that one the axe, honestly, not a thing AIs should have.
Make camera lights function for all active cameras - They currently only function for the camera you're looking through. There, done, and something that should've been in long ago.

I'm not sure how lighting works, but if you can code it so that it gives one or two 'steps' of light through the radius (I believe camera view range is 7sq, so make the light radius 5sq?), rather than a bright source fading off to nothing, I think that'd be best. So, instead of each camera acting as a wall-mounted light, they're more of an emergency ambient light - Dim as all hell, but at least you can still see. Kindasortamostly.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #6504

Psyentific wrote:
paprika wrote:Eugh, not a fan of that night vision one. That's why camera lights exist. Give that one the axe, honestly, not a thing AIs should have.
Make camera lights function for all active cameras - They currently only function for the camera you're looking through. There, done, and something that should've been in long ago.

I'm not sure how lighting works, but if you can code it so that it gives one or two 'steps' of light through the radius (I believe camera view range is 7sq, so make the light radius 5sq?), rather than a bright source fading off to nothing, I think that'd be best. So, instead of each camera acting as a wall-mounted light, they're more of an emergency ambient light - Dim as all hell, but at least you can still see. Kindasortamostly.
I should not change that without knowing what the reason for it is. It might be related to lag resulting from loading up the lighting engine. I will need the opinion of another coder for this one.

As for the nightvision mode, I obviously disagree with you both, as for me the change is mostly cosmetic and saves me an annoying step in dealing with darkness. Still, it seems I cannot win here, so I will comment that one out unless enough people request otherwise.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #6508

Leave it in.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #6514

Well, if camera lights across the board would lag the server, or otherwise be unfeasable, I'd be fine with night vision. Seems like something the AI would have, just...eh. I'd prefer something a bit more visible, tangible.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #7057

If you are reading this, please do cast your vote and your opinion of the Night-vision or other modes. I would like to avoid a ping/pong on the commits, so add your say please!
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #7089

If it doesn't cause noticeable lag (it shouldn't) then yes for me.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #7113

Neerti wrote:If it doesn't cause noticeable lag (it shouldn't) then yes for me.
It only does the HUD for things in its eye range, so it should not cause a problem lag-wise, not unless HUDs themselves are super laggy.
Night-Vision is currently back in!
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #7452

Feels like AIs are getting buffed too much. Wait, I play AI alot...

MERGE POST HASTE