[AWAY MISSION] MO19: MERGED

How, what and why to code in BYOND.
WJohnston
Byond Username: WJohnston

[AWAY MISSION] MO19: MERGED

Post by WJohnston » #19115

I've spent the last few days making an away mission and actually putting detail and effort into it. Here's a couple of teaser pics:

For anyone interested, here's the PR:
https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/834

And some pics:
http://i.imgur.com/0KCZgiM.png
http://i.imgur.com/nAyxZIk.png

I've got some things to sort out, some things that concern all away missions and how they generally work (or more accurately don't).

BIG RELEASE-HALTING BUGS TO DEAL WITH:
-RCDs functioning at all in away missions. This is bad because they can eat the floor and drain the atmosphere of the entire mission. Issue here
-Power monitoring consoles don't work in away missions.
-Camera networks don't work in away missions.
-Plasma/uranium/diamond fueled portable generators don't work in away missions.
-Fires and bombs can melt and destroy the floor. Issue here
Hoping to overcome these soon!

None of the above bugs were fixed up until this PR, I shall hope they are fixed shortly after.
Last edited by WJohnston on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Apparently I was an director or something.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: [AWAY MISSION] MO19: Coming Soon!™

Post by paprika » #19185

gonna have to dig in generator/area code and create a unique area for your away mission
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #19193

I would really prefer if areas weren't responsible for how game mechanics function unless they are consistent across everything. I don't like the idea where a generator works fine on the space station because it is in a normal area, then it is moved to away missions where it doesn't work because away missions forbid it, then it works because it is in a speshul area in that away mission that DOES allow it. Why not just make it work on both the station and in away missions? Remove the restriction outright, it's a pointless limitation that is going to be used only in very small amounts, nothing that can lag the game to death.
Swagile
Byond Username: Swagile

Post by Swagile » #19282

if the station is going to be really small (away mission, that is), just put down a pacman generator with a crate filled with one stack of 50 plasma.

should be enough power to run an entire round, unless i am mistaken on how much power it outputs.

/tg/ station github 420 issues
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #19306

Swagile wrote:if the station is going to be really small (away mission, that is), just put down a pacman generator with a crate filled with one stack of 50 plasma.

should be enough power to run an entire round, unless i am mistaken on how much power it outputs.
That's how it is SUPPOSED to be powered if not for the fact that
WJohnston wrote: BIG RELEASE-HALTING BUGS TO DEAL WITH:
-Plasma/uranium/diamond fueled portable generators don't work in away missions.
JStheguy
Byond Username: JStheguy

Post by JStheguy » #19469

MO19 Also has a mountain of fluff: http://piratepad.net/YGMV770OGl
Please enjoy.
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #19521

Do not bother with powernets, as away mission z-levels should not introduce additional lag to the server. Manually set the areas to be powered instead.
WJohnston

Post by WJohnston » #19528

I don't understand the hostility to away missions regarding 3 APCs. We already have some 20 in space that are used even less, yet they're fully working powernets too. Why treat away missions like complete garbage when at the same time NT is trying to look up to and improve space content?
Konork
Byond Username: Konork

Post by Konork » #19547

WJohnston wrote:I don't understand the hostility to away missions regarding 3 APCs. We already have some 20 in space that are used even less, yet they're fully working powernets too. Why treat away missions like complete garbage when at the same time NT is trying to look up to and improve space content?
I'm not entirely sure how away missions work when it comes to loading them, but I think all the possible away missions are still loaded even if they aren't actually selected, so they could still be running and using server resources, but with absolutely no way to actually get to them short of admin button pressing.
WJohnston

Re: [AWAY MISSION] MO19: MERGED

Post by WJohnston » #20116

This is now merged and will be available in a day or so when SoS updates the server. Good luck!