[POLL]Increase Head of Security's Access

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should the HoS get his access rights increased?

Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%
Abstain
1%
Yes
9%
Yes
9%
Yes
9%
No
22%
No
22%
No
22%
Other (Note in comments)
2%
Other (Note in comments)
2%
Other (Note in comments)
2%

Total votes: 141

Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

[POLL]Increase Head of Security's Access

Post by Steelpoint » #2207

When it comes down to it the HoS has the least amount of station (read: access to the station itself not a numbed list of access values) than any other head of staff in the game. I wish to propose that the HoS gets increased access to the station to do his/her job more effectively.

Now, hear me out.

Security can't get anywhere important. Your dying in the Cargo Bay? Welp sorry mate I have to wait for the braindead AI to get to open the door for me. Oh no that assistant ran into maint.any other room, I don't have access... Now I know that the HoS is not intended to be a beat cop with a gun, but until Malk's Sec overhaul goes in, and even after that, the HoS will usually have to function as street officer ontop of his command role. However reworking the HoS to have more access will make the HoS a more vital component of Security in terms of rallying Officers for a raid/rescue attempt/whatever as he/she will have the access needed to get into that room.

Now, what access will I be giving the HoS assuming enough people agree? The access being given is...
- Full Science Access
- Full Medical Access
- Robotics
- Atmospherics
- Cargo Bay

I would also argue that Sec Officers should have maint access, but that is a config option and SoS is not picking up the phone.

Thank you for reading.
Lovecraft
Byond Username: Rabukurafuto

Re: [POLL]Increase Head of Security's Access

Post by Lovecraft » #2208

The Head of Security is meant to lead Security.
The access the job has as is I find to be more than enough.
If you need in anywhere else, AIs are more than just helpful to you, as are people in the departments like other heads of staff or even just workers.
The Head of Security doesn't need to be this superhuman man with near Captain like access.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Nobody is worthless. PM me anytime to talk.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2211

You would be surprised how unreliable other people are when Security needs them most.

The hope is to increase security cooperation and give a bit more power back to Security since I do recall a long time ago the HoS had more access to the station than he did now, this would also make it easier for the HoS and Sec in general to make quick raids and attacks on locations without relying on someone outside to help, it would also help in shutting down rogue borgs.

It's like saying the SWAT team should wait for the motel manager to trudge up and unlock every single door in one motel room. Only the HoS would benefit from this increased access thus it would incentivise Security to work together even more than they do now.
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #2213

Honestly, if the station is in a dire state, get the access needed to perform raids from the Captain or Head of Personnel beforehand.
As someone who plays Head of Security a lot, I really have never seen a need to beef the access up to this level. Maybe it's just my playstyle, but I have never found a situation where I lacked access that someone else didn't provide on such a level that would call for that access being put on the ID at round start.
I still firmly say the Head of Security is fine how it is, because it really is fine how it is.
Friendly reminder that you are beautiful and this server would be nothing without your continued support
I play August Finster, a suave midget with a grudge, as well as Francis Heart, the naked guitarist of the Cosmos.
Spoiler:
cultist-chan
Byond Username: Corruptroulette

Post by cultist-chan » #2229

The head of security can always ask for more access from the HOP. Also being a head you should have a hands off approach instead of a hands on unless the situation is completely dire.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2232

In theory, yes, in practice that rarely happens. Since the fact of the matter is there are oft not enough Security Officers in the round, which is further compounded if there is no Warden.

Another little thing to note is that I can already ask the Captain and HoP for all access and they have a hard time denying that request, I dislike that approach however. The increased access would give Security more mobility and freedom of movement when its needed.

I guess I have a different view of the HoS since I tend to play on Sybil in the more "lower" pop rounds where there is usually only one or two people in sec (Still around 20 to 30 people on the server)
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #2386

>Also being a head you should have a hands off approach instead of a hands on
>hos

I have no particularly strong opinion either way but that made me lol

in 4 years of /tg/ I have not ever once seen a desk HoS
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #2472

imblyings wrote:>Also being a head you should have a hands off approach instead of a hands on
>hos

I have no particularly strong opinion either way but that made me lol

in 4 years of /tg/ I have not ever once seen a desk HoS
Have you ever seen me play it? I don't necessarily "sit at my desk and twittle my thumbs", but honestly you have to let your officers do their work. Give the warden free reign over the brig. Back them up but don't micromanage. Only slip in for major cases. Suggest things, don't demand and things will go smooth as silk. Unless you get a AI malf, rev round, blob round, or someone bombs the brig. Then you're just fucked and you have to go into panic mode.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #2473

I was the one who removed the HoS's near all-access.

I probably share the same opinion as a lot of others, but I don't want to encourage the HoS to ignore their team to act like a Supercop, or boss around workers under other heads.
the HoS has the least amount of station
I disagree. that's not true at all.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #2475

Most jobs have enough access to do their job. Sometimes they have to ask the AI to open the door. Security is no different.
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2476

Ikarrus wrote:I disagree. that's not true at all.
On recount he has the 2nd least access of any head, with the CMO having the least access.

I would not be giving him all access, just increased access in general. I can rule out the additional Sci and Med access and just give him Atmo and Cargo and maybe Robotics access.

Also from my experience, Security tend to cooperate far more than anyone else, and the problem of HoS's doing their own thing happens irrespective of their access level, also HoS's are already in a position to "boss around other workers" with the access they already have?

What kind of argument is that giving the HoS slightly more access will suddenly fully enable him to boss around the station? The Captain and HoP already do that more than the HoS ever will.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #2503

Just give him basic of every department?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #2504

He already has that.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2508

Note that he cannot get, or let anyone into, anywhere that is actually important and useful by default in the four main departments. My proposal means the HoS would have access to most of Sci, Atmo and the Cargo bay.
cultist-chan

Post by cultist-chan » #2511

Atmos, science and cargo are important?

Also the AI can let them in.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2512

The AI letting people in somewhere is not a good excuse, that argument can be used on many other jobs to restrict their access rights severally.

Also yes, Cargo, Atmo and Science are important areas to go to, and waiting for the AI to assist you is unreliable in critical situation and is NOT stealthy at all when need be.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #2513

How are they so much more important than other areas he doesn't have access to? Emergencies can come from just about anywhere. How do you justify not just giving him near-all-access?
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2514

Your complaining that I don't want to give the HoS all access?

From my experience the areas that Security and the HoS need to get into more often than others is Atmo, Science and the Cargo Bay. If anything I would ask that the Departmental Sec be given complete access to their assigned departments but that's an issue for another day.

The job of Security is getting to areas where there is trouble and stooping it, access is a key commodity to Security as Officers severally lack the needed access to get anywhere useful ever since they suddenly lost their maintenance access and the HoS is the only member of Sec that has what I would consider to be the basic access a Officer should have.

My proposal is aimed at increasing cooperation within Sec because it is in the best interests of both Sec Officers and the HoS to further work together because now the HoS has the actual access to get somewhere important right there and then.

Yes, you can ask the AI to get let in, but consider the steps it takes to organise enough of Sec together to actually preform a raid or insertion, the lack of access and AI involvement adds a further unneeded time constraint to a already lengthy process. My solution fixes this to a great extent.
Stephie

Post by Stephie » #2548

He's saying that giving HoS access to areas that they has no place to be in because of their meta importance is uncalled for, and is a powergamey addition that serves no purpose except easier antag hunting. So, you might as well give HoS all access while you are at it.

You can already cooperate with AI, department members and even HoP, who can give you all access. Your proposal is increasing cooperation within security at the cost of reducing security's cooperation with every single other part of the station.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #2787

Playing as HoS I have never felt my access was not enough. Of course all access would be great, but you have general access to most of the station, just not specific rooms, and you can usually laser your way in if nothing else.
Also the HoS already has access to cargobay?
scaredofshadows
In Game PermaBanned

Post by scaredofshadows » #2851

Steelpoint wrote:I would also argue that Sec Officers should have maint access, but that is a config option and SoS is not picking up the phone.
I'm receptive to enabling sec for maintenance access via the config option. This suggestion has a lot of support from both players and admins.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #2879

My opinion is that Security Officer's maintenance access should be tied directly to Assistants maintenance access, so either both have it or neither have it.

Many people I've spoken to want Sec's maint access restored, and I would be happy if at least that came to fruition from this thread.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #2901

I am throwing this in again, I think that security should be able to have maint access without assistants having the same, but if assistants have it sec has it.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
rexagon
Byond Username: Rexagon

Post by rexagon » #4978

Give sec a sort of Doorjack? Might make them look more like tacticool SWAT guys.
Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #5005

Sounds cool. Kind of like the pAI doorjack, but faster.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
Lovecraft

Post by Lovecraft » #5030

Maybe place the door jacks in the Armory, and only hand them out during emergencies?
That sounds like something that, if given to all officers, could be stolen and abused even by non-antags.
Spoiler:
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #5050

Some kind of portable hydraulic jack.

Basically emags the doors, as in fucks them up and requires repairing, to deter non-emergency use.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #5096

Hydraulic battering ram or breach charges for TACTICOOL FLASH AND CLEAR
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #5109

Breach charges in the armoury would be neat, they should function effectively as an explosive emag that forces open a door.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8058

If they were limited and irreplaceable/expensive as fuck sure but the difference between them and emags is they could blow open bolted doors as well because fuck AIs, RCDs should not be the only fast counter to bolted airlocks. They also shouldn't be able to gib people and only take down normal walls, not rwalls or flooring.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User

Post by Steelpoint » #8073

Way to necro.

But to expand, a breach charge would do very little if no damage to a living target. Fluff it up to the explosive charge having a safety failure that redirects the explosive charge away from living tissue. There should only be one or two charges in the Armoury and a crate of replacements would be very, very expensive for cargo to order (80 to 100 points).
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8081

Yeah they'd be super situational and near-useless outside of malf AI or specific situations that require them but it'd still be fun to use them as an alternative to waiting around on the AI to open shit up.

Call them shaped charges if you really want to fluff up the 'safety failure' shit, it can just be directional to target airlock bolt-locking mechanisms and stuff.

Someone should sprite this up. It'd be a cool addition to the zipties/foam sprayer equipment update down the line if those are ever finished.
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #8083

The head of security only needs better access to... executions!

Why is our equivalent of a small town sheriff waiting for some bureaucrat who keeps his lasers in PONCY GLASS CASES to give the all clear?
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #8111

Incomptinence wrote:The head of security only needs better access to... executions!

Why is our equivalent of a small town sheriff waiting for some bureaucrat who keeps his lasers in PONCY GLASS CASES to give the all clear?
Because SoS
Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #8201

Can't the NT server have more leeway on that?
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #8202

SoS hosts Sybil, Basil, and Artyom.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #8204

Well, it's only a matter of policy. Do we have to have the same policy as Sybil?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Ikarrus

Post by Ikarrus » #8213

Yes. Same host, same admins, same rules.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?