Out of workplace spawns

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Helios
Byond Username: Shodansbreak

Out of workplace spawns

Post by Helios » #4790

I think if there is a chance for your character to spawn out of their designated workplace could be neat.
People spawn the round in the bathroom, in a bedroom in the dorms, at the Bar.
I don't know how difficult this would be to program, but could give some diversity and kind of give the notion "This person's life did not start the minute this round started"
Jeb
Byond Username: Stapler2025

Re: Out of workplace spawns

Post by Jeb » #4791

Spawn drunk in space
Guy that made a thing that got put on the homepage of /tg/station13
Defeated in the Great Purge of 2014
[Security] Fiz Bump says, "Beats me, I'm not a scientist. But this is a problem that can be solved with harmbatons."
Johnson Fitzwell asks, "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?"
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4794

This would be bad for newbies. I learned how to do things by never going far from my workplace, because otherwise I got lost.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #4801

Drynwyn, we do have the ability to check player age. We can always make it check someone's age before determining their spawn.
Drynwyn
Byond Username: Drynwyn

Post by Drynwyn » #4812

That'd work.
In game, I play the A.I Firmware, the French cyborg C.U.R.I.E, Aubrie Allen, and the lizard scum Skulks-Through-Maintenance.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #8090

Seems like a convoluted amount of coding for a simple thing that isn't really that necessary. Plus, traitors rely on people spawning in their departments at roundstart a lot of the time, adding more goosechase is bad.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer
Byond Username: ShizCalev
Github Username: ShizCalev

Post by ShizCalev » #8109

paprika wrote:Plus, traitors rely on people spawning in their departments at roundstart a lot of the time, adding more goosechase is bad.
This is literally the worst argument I've ever heard.

>Hey guys, let's not add another fun level of immersion because it would mean that traitors can't metaknowledge where their targets are going to be at the start of the round to get their valids on.
ImageImage
>Be ling
>Spread misinformation about how SM works to sabotage it
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8119

>fun level of immersion
>people spawning in random locations like bathrooms, dorms, bar, even though those aren't their departments where literally everyone should be at the start of the shift

Sure, engineers shouldn't be encouraged to set up the engine, atmos techs to set up atmos, security to gear up, medbay to set up cryo, robotics to do their fucking job, etc.

Seriously? We already have a hard enough time with this, don't be stupid.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
NikNakFlak
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: NikNakflak

Post by NikNakFlak » #8137

I think if this were to be a thing, it would consist of mostly mapping code and more mapping related change.
iamgoofball
Github User
Byond Username: Iamgoofball
Github Username: Iamgoofball

Post by iamgoofball » #8139

Yeah, literally all I'd have to do is put some spawn points down for each job in random areas, like at the urinals or in the holodeck.

Hell, if I wanted to I could make someone spawn drunk in space.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #8187

Yeah this just sounds like a needless hassle with no benefit.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #8233

you guys are horrible.
ImageImage
>Be ling
OOC: ChemicalRascal: Lying about game mechanics in relation to an engine that is poorly understood by most isn't cool, though
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8236

>Wow you guys don't like this for no reason! Literally the worst argument I've ever heard!
>Provide legitimate reasons
>You guys are horrible

Yeah the reason I didn't provide any in-depth arguments as to why this isn't a good idea is because I figured it would be obvious to anyone who's played the game enough to know how gameplay flow works.
ShizCalev
Code Maintainer

Post by ShizCalev » #8271

So far from what I've read though, your reasons are that

1) Antags will have to look for their targets instead of knowing exactly where they are at the start of the round
2) People are shit at doing their jobs
3) Mappers will have to make more spawns

These are all really horrible reasons in my opinion. If the only way an antagonist will get their valids on is by using metaknowledge to know that EVERYBODY is in their station at the start of the round, then they're shit and don't really deserve those valids to start with.
If someone doesn't do their job; then have them demoted (which is standard procedure, and not really an issue adding extra spawns will throw off even further.)
Additional spawns take literally three clicks to add as well, so that's not even that major of an issue/hassle either. Hell, once you have one set down you could probably just copy pasta them all anywhere you want with ease.
ImageImage
>Be ling
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #8282

I for one want more spawn locations. Even if it's just Bar, Dorms, Tool Storage, Holodeck, Arrivals, whatever.
Spoiler:
Unlocked locker, four random bottles of liquor
Dorms, naked, with another person
Chapel
Library
Library back room w/ random book & cup of coffee
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
miggles

Post by miggles » #8290

ShizCalev wrote:So far from what I've read though, your reasons are that

1) Antags will have to look for their targets instead of knowing exactly where they are at the start of the round
2) People are shit at doing their jobs
3) Mappers will have to make more spawns

These are all really horrible reasons in my opinion. If the only way an antagonist will get their valids on is by using metaknowledge to know that EVERYBODY is in their station at the start of the round, then they're shit and don't really deserve those valids to start with.
If someone doesn't do their job; then have them demoted (which is standard procedure, and not really an issue adding extra spawns will throw off even further.)
Additional spawns take literally three clicks to add as well, so that's not even that major of an issue/hassle either. Hell, once you have one set down you could probably just copy pasta them all anywhere you want with ease.
The first one is called "common fucking sense." At the start of a shift at your job which you do for money so you can live, NOT being in your work place isn't going to get you any closer to the goal of getting money and staying alive. It's not "metaknowledge" to expect someone with a job to be at their workplace on time like a normal person with a job. (because people who fail to do that also fail to continue having jobs)
Incompetence and ignorance are 2 different things. One is being shit, and the other is not knowing how to be good. If you don't want to do your job, then either nobody will care, someone else will take your job, or, depending on the job, admins will jobban you.
It's not hard to do, no.
There just isn't a reason to do it.
It needlessly inconveniences people who actually do want to do their job, encourages people who only signed on for the gear (coughengineerscough) to NOT do their job, and in the end, doesn't really do anything for traitors either way. Anyone who was or was not going to do their job will continue with their choice of doing their job or not. Scientists who wanted to do xenobio will still make their way back to their workplace and do their job. Engineers who don't actually want to do their job will still go to the bar or build stupid shit in maint. Starting people in different places isn't going to ultimately change whether people do these things; it's just going to encourage laziness and inconvenience people who intended to be productive.
Tokiko2
Byond Username: Tokiko1

Post by Tokiko2 » #8293

I don't like the idea of spawning in public areas because it means that if you are AFK at roundstart, assistants are going to try and loot your ID.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #8296

I would not be against assistants spawning in random locations, but anyone else and all it would do is inconvenience them and get annoying.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #8314

I don't see why assistants spawn in this assistant breeding ground hive with all the tools around them. They should spawn all over the station and especially in service so service people got something to do at roundstart before people take off for gloves or whatever.
Reimoo
Byond Username: Reimoo

Post by Reimoo » #9642

At the very least, the captain should have a chance to spawn on his toilet.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #9678

I'm probably going to implement some new greyshirt/misc spawns later today, but I don't really want to mess with metastation.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #9733

Make a copy called TESTMETA or something and do it there, test it out and if it dosent kill it, well there you go.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
miggles

Post by miggles » #9891

i dont think thats going to help with anything
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #9906

Theres always a minute chance that it will.
Also, I think that I had the mistaken idea that paprka was hosting it for some reason.

Now, if I knew why I thought that...
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #9959

I like this. Fix the newbie and hassle problem by making it a preference option (defaulting to off). Spawning in dorms makes the most sense, spawning in the cafe would be good too.

It's a chance for people to get some (fast) food, maybe socialize a little, before retreating to their respective fortresses when the code blue arrives.

Shitty people already run straight out of their department on roundstart, this won't make things any easier for them.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #10115

I'm going to start this by moving the assistant spawns around a bit on the NT metastation.