A couple new equipment ideas.

A place to record your ideas for the game.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

A couple new equipment ideas.

Post by paprika » #7546

I've been really busy with a few college/social life/other ss13 projects so I won't have time to implement these ideas myself (I might even have to can the heavy lathe idea since I haven't made much progress on it at all) but I wanted to get them out there since they seem relatively simple to make.

First up is a new tool for engineering:

Metal-Foam Sprayer
(Handgun-like design, most likely a resprited/modified combat hypospray)
Identical to the metal foam grenades in utility, but now they have an increased amount of accuracy for rapid breach patching. These tools can be seen in Dead Space as well to act as temporary welders to keep minor space breaches sealed. Essentially, all it does is spray metal foam walls in front of you, the same effect as the foam grenade, they take a couple seconds to 'set'. It will be limited ammo, refuel-able by either unique metal foam ammo cartridges (ala airlock painter) or chemistry, not sure which is easier to set up. You can set it to spray 3 tiles in front of you or just 1, like a spray bottle, as well.

Like all fun things, it has its uses for traitors. Spray some walls behind you in maint while running from security to stall them (not for very long, it's incredibly easy to smash through metal foam with a baton/seclite) or block off an area before you murder someone.

For reference, this is what the combat hypospray looks like.

Also, I was playing through dead space 3 recently, and in the first chapter Isaac breaks an emergency glass and pulls out a device that looks like this and hands it to Norton so he can seal a breach, that's where the inspiration came from. It's a relatively straightforward an essential device for space station engineering I'd like to think.

Zipties
(plastic disposable handcuffs for security and borgs)
Most modern day security or military police forces use zip ties instead of handcuffs for their convenience. Essentially, how they will work is be short-term handcuffs, much like cable ties, EXCEPT you can stack them like materials(and keep 'stacks' of them in your inventory/belt, up to 10 or so). The downside to this is that after you take them off a criminal, they disappear as you're basically 'cutting' them off and destroying their utility. They're one-use handcuffs with a shorter timer that security can hold more of if they're dealing with high volumes of criminals.

Security borgs will also dispense these instead of handcuffs, so when they take handcuffs off of criminals, they don't have a pair of handcuffs laying on the ground they can't pick up.

Nuke ops will have a box of these instead of handcuffs on their shuttle because they're badass hired PMCs and it'd fit their aesthetic more.

The 'white' cable color is almost never used and I will most likely remove it so that white cable cuffs are not confused with plastic zipties if this is ever added, but that's a really minor thing, and if the sprites of zipties are unique enough from cable cuffs it won't be needed either.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: A couple new equipment ideas.

Post by Psyentific » #7582

Can you make beepskys & ED-209s use zipties?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7622

Of course. Again, I'm not working on this idea personally, until I get some other shit done, so anyone is free to pick this up.

This would also make beepskies set to arrest or emagged less fucking annoying to deal with if you're that sec officer that had his taser out and a gas mask on and accidentally removed your ID standing next to a beepsky set to check for weapon licenses. Horrible, horrible situation to be in.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7792

Dont wear that mask then.

But thats really not a good enough statement to say...

That said, I support this, but I suggest the ties are black as the white wires are used by some people (ME), we dont have black wires, and zipties come in black.
Spoiler:
First image found.

I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Malkevin

Post by Malkevin » #7848

Black would be really hard to see against the station backdrop
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7899

What about black and red stripes for the SHITCURITY feel?
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #8042

Could always be grey with black outlines.
(wait for it...)
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
peoplearestrange
Byond Username: Peoplearestrange

Post by peoplearestrange » #8057

Nice ideas. It always bugged me that you couldn't pick up the handcuffs as a sec borg.
Whatever
Spoiler:
oranges wrote:singulo.io is the center point of rational and calm debate, where much of tg's issues are worked out in a fun and family friendly environment
miggles wrote:it must have been quite the accomplishment, killing a dead butterfly
WeeYakk wrote:If you take a step back from everything watching the community argue janitor related changes is one of the most surreal and hilarious things about this game. Four pages of discussing the merits of there being too much or too little dirt in a video game.
Operative wrote:Vote PAS for headmin! Get cucked and feel good getting cucked.
TheNightingale wrote:I want to get off Mr. Scones's Wild Ride...
NikNakFlak wrote:Excuse you, I was doing intentional bug testing for the well being of the server. I do not make mistakes.
Fragnostic wrote:stop cucking the first shitshow ever that revolved around me.
This is my moment, what are you doing?!
Anonmare wrote:Oranges gestures at the thread, it shudders and begins to move!
Saegrimr wrote:
callanrockslol wrote:all you have to do is ban shitters until the playbase improves/ceases to exist, whichever comes first.
IM TRYING
Screemonster wrote:hellmoo is the mud for grown adults who main reaper in overwatch
Kor wrote:
confused rock wrote:...its like if we made fire extinguishers spawn in emergency boxes and have them heal you when you put out fires rather than them being in wall storages...
Are you having a stroke
bandit wrote:you are now manually GLORFing
MrStonedOne wrote:The best part about the election is when I announce my pick because I'm just as surprised as everybody else.
PM:[USER]->IrishWristWatch0: Yeah, im make it on but how im make the station to to sun and not go to sun

OOC: Francinum: Five Rounds at PAS's
"You are destinied to defeat Dr. Uguu and his 5 Robot Masters
(All-Access-Man, ShootyBlackCoat Man, ChloralHydrate Man, Singulo Man and TeleportArmor Man)"
I'm a box