Incendiary things

A place to record your ideas for the game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Incendiary things

Post by lumipharon » #7756

So after being alarmed at how crazy tommy guns currently are on nanobus, I suggested adding incendiary ammo for the smg, via the protolathe.
I was told that this wouldn't be possible currently due to how gun code currently is, but I had two thoughts on this.

Firstly, pap was/is going to add semi auto shotguns, that had different ammo types. Since it's semi auto it's functionally the same as the smg, so how were you going to make that work pap?

Secondly, and possibly more hackish, since normal guns can only fire one projectile, would it be possible to have two different smg's in the code (a normal one and incendiary one), where if say you're putting normal ammo mags into the normal smg, it behaves exactly as it does now, but if you added the different mag type (incendiary in this case) it would change the gun itself to the incendiary shooting version, which would ingame look identical.
Would this be possible/viable, or is it a retarded idea? I dunno, I have never coded in byond.

Also my other semi related idea, is a change to incendiary nades/the napalm chem reaction.

Currently, it's quite frankly pathetic, it pretty much creates 5-6 tiles of burning plasma for a short while, and that's it. It's a mild inconvenience at best, but is hardly anything to be frightened of.

But then I look at welder tank explosions. Aside from the actual, exploding part (the part that damages/gibs shit) it makes a rather large, nasty fireball, setting any fucker nearby on fire.
So then I ask myself, wouldn't an incendiary grenade be so much more interesting if it made that sort of fireball instead?

With or without a knockdown, actually SETTING PEOPLE ON FIRE would be a massive improvement, and would actually make them (fun).
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Re: Incendiary things

Post by AseaHeru » #7787

If you do this, we also need beanbag ammo for all the SMGs, AP rounds and perhaps Gumballs. (kudos if you get the reference)
If you havenot read The Supernaturalist than you have not lived.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Rolan7
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Rolan7

Post by Rolan7 » #7794

lumipharon wrote:Secondly, and possibly more hackish, since normal guns can only fire one projectile, would it be possible to have two different smg's in the code (a normal one and incendiary one), where if say you're putting normal ammo mags into the normal smg, it behaves exactly as it does now, but if you added the different mag type (incendiary in this case) it would change the gun itself to the incendiary shooting version, which would ingame look identical.
Would this be possible/viable, or is it a retarded idea? I dunno, I have never coded in byond.
Creative, but not the way to go. You can't change an object's type, just delete it, create a new object, and put it in the correct place/load the ammo/make sure all the mob's icons are right. Hacky.

It seems like guns are almost ready to use different ammo types. As far as I can tell it's using the properties of whatever ammo it has loaded. There's some weirdness with the built-in, unremovable "internal magazines". A proper solution would probably mean removing those mystery non-objects.

Gun code is really convoluted, though. I wouldn't suggest it as a first project.
The EMPEROR OF MANKIND wants YOU to squash bugs. They are symptoms of CHAOS.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #7870

Um, the bartender's shotgun loads incendiary shells if you hack the autolathe. And a few other types.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7893

"Incendiary" grenades should be loaded with thermite and should melt down walls they're adjacent to, since that's how they work irl.

I was going to add the new syndie semi-auto shotgun to the protolathe with all the ammos with a high illegal tech count (that you can get by deconning a parapen actually) which do have incendiary magazines but the issue there lies in another problem with inhand icon files that has yet to be fixed, I can't add them until that's done. I mean I -can-, but the cool inhands that snapwalk made would be useless and I'd rather put them in when I add the new nuke op weapons.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.