[POLL] The Merging of the Wikis

A place to record your ideas for the game.

Should the ss13.eu-wiki and the tgstation13.org-wiki be merged into one wiki?

Yes
19%
Yes
19%
Yes
19%
Maybe
4%
Maybe
4%
Maybe
4%
No
6%
No
6%
No
6%
Abstain
6%
Abstain
6%
Abstain
6%

Total votes: 54

kosmos
Byond Username: Kingofkosmos

[POLL] The Merging of the Wikis

Post by kosmos » #13554

From the perspective of a new player who wants to search information about NTStation/TGStation, our wiki situation is quite confusing.

We have one wiki for the NTStation, and a second one for BOTH NTStation and TGStation.

Neither one has been updated with NTStation info since the beginning of Artyom. Frankly, the ss13.eu-wiki hasn't been updated almost at all during this time. The tgstation13.org-wiki has been greatly updated for over the two months, and yet if I want to search info about tgstation and google "tgstation wiki", it's the ss13.eu-wiki which pops up first, tgstation13.org-wiki nowhere to be seen.

The new player is going to be confused as fuck and isn't going to find up-to-date info (at least through google) about e.g. the Guide to Research and Development which has been greatly updated compared to the ss13.eu-wiki, among multiple other pages. You can see a comparison of wiki update pace here: ss13.eu-wiki recent changes from the last 50 days (19 edits, 1 new version of a photo) and tgstation13.org-wiki recent changes from the last 50 days (604 edits, 153 new photos, 59 updated photos).

It's time we forget the silly us vs. them -mentality, especially when it comes to the wiki, and make the wiki experience as easy as possible for the new players, the guys who the wiki is made for in the first place, and merge the wikis into one. No matter which way, but the bottom point is that we don't need two wikis with almost duplicate info.

This is why I'm contacting you, the guys and gals of NTStation; Errorage is hosting the ss13.eu-wiki and I'm hoping that if you, the majority of NTStation, think that the wikis should be merged, Errorage would listen to you rather than me and make it happen.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm fucking stupid, everyone can vote on the poll, not just NTStation guys/gals. Oh well this is more about posts and less about the poll.

EDIT2: To be honest this is more about taking down the ss13.eu-wiki than merging it, since there's practically nothing to merge. I only didn't say "take down" because I thought it might sound bad to others and raise drama and such.
So, to be clear: Since the ss13.eu-wiki is clearly outdated and Erro has already removed all SS13 content from his forums, I think it's in the best interest of us and new players to have only our updated tgstation13.org-wiki as a guide. For this to happen we need Erro to be informed that his wiki hosting is no longer needed and ask him to take it down as he has said he would keep it open for as long as "NTStation wanted me to continue hosting it."
Last edited by kosmos on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ikarrus
Byond Username: Ikarrus
Github Username: Ikarrus

Re: [POLL] The Merging of the Wikis

Post by Ikarrus » #13591

The old wiki hasn't been updated in ages, while ours has regular activity, not to mention linked by the servers and forums.

It's up to errorage whether or not he wants to keep his going but I think it's pretty clear what the community uses.
Former Dev/Headmin
Who is this guy?
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #13628

Erro's wiki has nothing to do with anyone anymore. The official one is already the tgstation13.org one.
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #13776

I don't think this is very likely to happen. Enough said.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #13805

As already stated: the concern here is not really about the content of either wiki but rather ensuring there is only one wiki and to that effect someone from NTstation needs to go tell Erro that he can take down his wiki, or in the very least come to an agreement about it and I'll go tell him myself.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #13827

NTstation isn't affiliated with erro anymore.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #13892

There's not enough differences between the two to justify a seperate wiki for NT and I doubt there ever will be, a lot of NT's quality features are ported to /tg/ too sometimes and NT's playerbase usually comes from sybillites who know what they're doing anyway

ss13.eu still comes up on google first and that's what people use to find guides or at least what i do sooooooooo
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #14735

If need be you could add one of those template things on the top of the page that says 'this article is about nt station content' or something like that.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Jordie0608
Site Admin
Byond Username: Jordie0608
Github Username: Jordie0608

Post by Jordie0608 » #14911

One already exists.
Forum Admin
Send me a PM if you have any issues, concerns or praise of fishfood to express about the forums.