Requesting away mission ideas

A place to record your ideas for the game.
Brotemis
Byond Username: Brotemis

Requesting away mission ideas

Post by Brotemis » #13845

Watching VG trudge through the wild west away mission has made me want to make more away missions. The only issue is that I'm lacking ideas. The idea of a a flesh universe I'd interesting but I'm also lacking sprites and floor/wall tiles. Any away mission would be a large undertaking depending on what it is and I would need help from sprites as well lest I use dreaded programmer sprites.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Re: Requesting away mission ideas

Post by Stickymayhem » #13868

Explore the spider caves
Xeno planet so people can get facehugged and infect the station or be put down there and then.
Space lube skate rink
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #13879

Away missions are shit. Either they have no loot and they're explored for 2 days and then never gone into again or they have tons of loot and the gateway is broken into at roundstart and people flock to it for powergaming potential.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #13884

The problem with away missions was that people would, as noted, flock to the good items. I recall the last away mission had three suits of FUCKING DEATH SQUAD ARMOUR and a police baton. People would flock to them.

Making a good away mission will be hard, it needs to be entertaining or unique without giving off special hard to find items. Hence why for some reason I like the Clown Planet since its unique, has minerals but holds deadly Clowns if provoked.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13886

Make the dark souls of away missions that can only be tackled by having a fully upgraded science and a gauntlet of weapons with everyone in bulletproof vests with hardsuit syndie mobs everywhere var edited into oblivion.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
miggles
Byond Username: Miggles

Post by miggles » #13900

away missions are ss13 ng+
dezzmont wrote:I am one of sawrge's alt accounts
dezzmont wrote:sawrge has it right.
Connor wrote:miggles is correct though
imblyings
Byond Username: Ausops

Post by imblyings » #13901

random loot/npc spawners may go a long way to rectify whatever is wrong with away missions

away missions that require preparation, gearing up and a supply line can be great and it may also be worth looking into dividing away missions up into areas that require preparation and areas that don't, with the appropriate rewards for both.

boss fights, especially multi-tile ones or god forbid, ones with special abilities, may also provide away missions with something more to do other than just looting for the items.
The patched, dusty, trimmed, feathered mantle of evil +13.
ExplosiveCrate
Byond Username: ExplosiveCrate

Post by ExplosiveCrate » #13909

Brotemis wrote:The idea of a a flesh universe I'd interesting but I'm also lacking sprites and floor/wall tiles.
There was this one server (now gone from the face of the earth) with a weird mish-mash of gooncode and baycode on the BYOND SS13 page once. Joined it one day and found that someone had opened a red, meaty-looking portal in the telescience lab. Found some really freaky shit on that server's derelict. Only bad thing about it was the ridiculous loot. A fucking super strength nanoaug was just sitting on a table
More screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/tvQx3
i dont even know what the context for my signature was
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #13910

Sweet fuck that space background is some nice shit.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #13917

paprika wrote:Make the dark souls of away missions that can only be tackled by having a fully upgraded science and a gauntlet of weapons with everyone in bulletproof vests with hardsuit syndie mobs everywhere var edited into oblivion.
So... The space battle mission.

Yah, it gives you OP shit (mostly all that syndie gear), but good luck killing the first one without a few guns.

Oh, and suggestions.

A diamond mine, gives diamonds and a mech, also mining gear.
A factory, gives alot of random crap, perhaps a few mechs that where either the product or used in the factory.
A medical lab. Lots of medical guff, perhaps some nasty airborn virus?
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #13942

That is amazing, explosive.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #14000

People can't rush away missions at roundstart so long as they have that timer before the gateway can activate.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Facundo

Post by Facundo » #14034

I have a few ideas that might make the gateway a replace for mining...

- An hostile cold enviroment, like a tundra with bears and sentient trees, maybe a mine somewhere if you wish.
- The oposite, an hostile magma planet, again, it could also be rich on minerals, and have goliaths lurking with those insidious gold worms
- An underwater dome that mines surrounded by water, you could by accident, break off the rock and into the water, and fun could happen, also carps, becouse fuck it.
- Something akin to our mining asteroid, maybe more segregated like in the ministation

The four of them should feature a big support station, but, it should require to be activated (set the power, maybe set the air, fix some pipes, expand some areas, turn on shields for carps, fix the booze o mat, etc)

that way it could make a feasible mode to even construct a secondary station or even have reasons to have the 15 min delay disabled from the away misions.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #14063

A cold planet would actually give a proper reason to wear those snug wintercoats. Edit: I know smoke and shit can go through the gateway, does air go through as well? because that would slowly cool down the station, which would be inconvenient, also might(?) cause some lag.

I sort of liked the space battle away mission, because it would spawn you in a random part of the ship, usually quite far from the gateway back. Assloads of people go in, most don't come out. The huge amount of syndie loot isn't good though.
That away mission with the 50 thousand emitters was also pretty fun, very high chance of death, but again, rewards were a little to great, we should shy away from the PILE OF GUNS idea of loot.

What about a maze? or better yet, a MIME maze (ie: invisible walls). There could be different loot spawn spots, chance of spawning nothing (maybe even bottles of Nothing?), a bag with some decent goodies, rare mime mech or a booby trapped bag, etc.

Edit 2: The main thing with popular away missions though, is just half the crew fucking off with no warning. I wish there was a better way to regulate people going through it, because right now it's just 'law 2, open gateway' and 20 guys swarm through. Maybe if people KNEW that that there was a high probability of getting immediately wrecked, or somethinb, they would try go through less.
Brotemis

Post by Brotemis » #14141

Flesh universe and spider cave it is. As much as I would love an underwater dome, water has no functionality in terms of spreading.

Randomized loot will be used.
miggles

Post by miggles » #14149

Brotemis wrote:Flesh universe and spider cave it is. As much as I would love an underwater dome, water has no functionality in terms of spreading.
i thought that water would spread infinitely to any area that isnt blocked by a turf
TheTerbs
In Game PermaBanned

Post by TheTerbs » #14165

New Pugleans

During martipug

It's a giant party

Full of pugs, partying pugs, pug mask everywhere with a massive pug float

Volcano Land theme park

Taking place on the volcanic surface of mercury experience all the fun and excitement of being close to a volcanic eruption
You teleport to the park entrance then get your ticket stub and go in, grab your fire suit and welding mask
You can make your own lava lair

Free to get in, $99.99 to leave

Christmas Planet

Come see the ever living Christmas tree and stick all your precious possessions on it and never get them back

Also featuring stylish parkas, freezing temps, igloos and winter fashion
you're gonna carry that weight
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #14204

miggles wrote:
Brotemis wrote:Flesh universe and spider cave it is. As much as I would love an underwater dome, water has no functionality in terms of spreading.
i thought that water would spread infinitely to any area that isnt blocked by a turf
T?here is definitely a variant that does what Miggles said. One round I was the captain and the admins messed with me by spreading water in my quarters' shower. I proceeded to help it spread everywhere, and the AI got a law that said water is harmful to humans. The water even went straight out the arrivals airlock into space, and whoever went into water-space could still breathe and operate under gravity. It was pretty awesome.
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

MrSnapwalk
Byond Username: MrSnapwalk

Post by MrSnapwalk » #14285

Cipher3 wrote:
miggles wrote:
T?here is definitely a variant that does what Miggles said. One round I was the captain and the admins messed with me by spreading water in my quarters' shower. I proceeded to help it spread everywhere, and the AI got a law that said water is harmful to humans. The water even went straight out the arrivals airlock into space, and whoever went into water-space could still breathe and operate under gravity. It was pretty awesome.
I was one of the borgs that round! That was really fun, RCDing airlocks and walls to prevent the spread of water, and dragging people to safety. Take note of this, admins!
Petethegoat wrote:we need to procedurally generate asses so they can actually be used as evidence
JStheguy wrote:Being a closet serial killer is not polite, helpful, truthful, or clean.
I am the last of the moderators for the /NT/station subforums. Please don't PM me any questions, comments, or complaints, because there is nothing I can do about them.
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Post by Neerti » #14289

All of that was an illusion.

It was all manually placed, every last one.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Gun Hog
Byond Username: Gun Hog

Post by Gun Hog » #14291

MrSnapwalk wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
miggles wrote:
I was one of the borgs that round! That was really fun, RCDing airlocks and walls to prevent the spread of water, and dragging people to safety. Take note of this, admins!
I do believe I was the AI for that round! The Captain left his shower running, I tried to contain the water, and so did my borgie, but crew will be crew! They happily helped spread the water everywhere. Odd things happened.
WeeYakk
Byond Username: Yakk

Post by WeeYakk » #14328

Is there a way to make gateways one way? Go through the gate but there's no way to turn the gate back on until the players get to a certain point. Path to said certain point is riddled with traps and tough enemies to discourage retards from jumping through without proper gear.

You could do what the emitter maze course did and spawn players somewhere that isn't on top of the gate when they go through to get a similar effect but muh immursions.
bandit
Byond Username: Bgobandit

Post by bandit » #14362

Pivotal battle of Clown vs Mime Planet. Clown mobs, mime mobs, banana traps and invisible land mimes, clown bombs and cone of silence, HONK and/or mime mech depending on which side you help to victory.
"I don't see any difference between ERP and rape." -- erro

admin feedback pls
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #14385

Gun Hog wrote:
MrSnapwalk wrote:
Cipher3 wrote:
miggles wrote:
I do believe I was the AI for that round! The Captain left his shower running, I tried to contain the water, and so did my borgie, but crew will be crew! They happily helped spread the water everywhere. Odd things happened.
I actually got the RCD out of EVA and undid the borg's work.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Incomptinence
Byond Username: Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14427

Tomb of King Hon. A subterranean bananium structure riddled with traps, sliding door/ wall mechanisms to separate groups, riddles and the odd band of cave dwelling tunnel clowns at the outskirts.
When they reach the end they open the sarcophagus and either find a mummified clown or a note saying he fooled you then his pimped out HONK bursts out of a chamber containing a cryotube.

Honk.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #14445

Incomptinence wrote:Tomb of King Hon. A subterranean bananium structure riddled with traps, sliding door/ wall mechanisms to separate groups, riddles and the odd band of cave dwelling tunnel clowns at the outskirts.
When they reach the end they open the sarcophagus and either find a mummified clown or a note saying he fooled you then his pimped out HONK bursts out of a chamber containing a cryotube.

Honk.
Yep. Sounds good. Except for the part where you code a mob to operate a HONK. :/
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

miggles

Post by miggles » #14446

no the mob is the honk
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14538

Yeah exosuit sprites won't complain if used for a mob. Recolouring and adding a little crown would be optimal though.
BillWilson
Byond Username: TheEpicPissUmaru

Post by BillWilson » #14691

Fargate malfunctions and sends you back in time to Space Station 10: Hill Valley and you can meet Doc Brown.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #14692

Away mission to a massive interstellar shopping mall.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

ThanatosRa
Rarely plays
Byond Username: ThanatosRa

Post by ThanatosRa » #14887

I still think one Away Mission should be a flipped version of meta currently in use, with a reversed color scheme.

Think Evil Mirror Universe.
my forum gimmick is that no one knows who i am

gender is irrelevant NO UR IRRELEVANT
u a bish
y u heff 2 b med
Incomptinence

Post by Incomptinence » #14902

Mirror universe contains Evil Twin mobs that have appearances that mirror crew appearances (sorta like how AI holograms can) but with moustaches.

They can't attack and have RPiant AI which means they talk about space crabs and other simple mobs constantly. Oblivion NPCs were true evil.