>implying the game isn't perfect
Neerti
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Neerti

Hand of God : A spin-off of Cult

Post by Neerti » #895

Warning: long post below.

WIP Wiki Entry: http://www.tgstation13.org/wiki/User:Neerti

When sentient beings collectively believe in something hard enough, it may just spawn into existence. As more people believe in something, it gets stronger. Conversely, if nobody believes in it, the being ceases to exist.
In Hand of God, you play as a newly formed Deity or a Cultist for your deity. However, you are not the only cult on-board your station. A second, rival cult, may attempt to steal your rightful flock, or worse, try to kill your deity, so their false god can run unopposed. The station personnel might also object to forceful conversions and your crusade to bring the righteous teachings of your god to the station and beyond.

This not-al-all-dominons 4-inspired gamemode revolves around two cults, with two deities leading them. Each deity has their own objectives, which might conflict with the other deity's objectives. When the game starts, each deity starts with three cultists, totaling six on both sides. Excluded people are security, the captain (implants), and the chaplain (separate religion). The intention of this gamemode is to strike a feel between blob's perspective and base-building, and cult's team play.

Your role: Deity
You are a newly formed deity. Because so few people believe in you, you can't really do much to interact with the world. However, that will change, as your followers get more followers. You will grow in power as you acquire more followers. If you have no followers, you will cease to exist. You are given access to a few powers at the start, and will get more as you gain more followers. Your lesser powers will also become more potent with more followers.

When the game starts, you will be able to choose a name for yourself. After that, you can choose a purely cosmetic theme, which will change the icons for your various structures, from nar'sie cult paraphernalia, to plant-life, cyber-cult, and anything else I can think of to sprite.

You can move anywhere you want, like a ghost, and see though walls.

You are able to speak as a deity, but only the dead, and your prophet, can hear you. A prophet is a cultist you have chosen to be able to listen to you. Only one cultist can be a prophet at a time. Teamwork and communication is required, as you can't tell your other subjects what to do, unless you use an expensive power. Rival deities cannot hear you or your prophet, and vice versa. You have a verb to communicate with other deities for whatever reason (or as goofball says 'It's not a god game if you can't brag how good you're doing to the other god')

As a deity, you require an anchor to the world. This is represented by a structure called a Nexus. If it is destroyed, your ties to the world will be severed, and you will die. Your powers are more potent within range of the Nexus, however. Your followers also gain benefits by being near the nexus. When the game starts, you will not have a nexus, and you have two minutes to choose a location on the station. It must be on the station z-level, it can't be near a rival deity's nexus, and it cannot be in space. Otherwise, you can place it anywhere. If you do not choose a location, one will be chosen for you semi-randomly, weighted to place the nexus somewhere less obvious.

Your power is not unlimited. Invoking powers on the world costs Power Points, which will replenish itself, like the blob's power meter. Having more followers will increase both the cap, and the rate it recharges. Some powers can only be used near a Nexus or Conduit. The Null Rod will block most offensive powers used against it's holder.

You are able to create structures to aid your cultists, but you require their help to do it. You can only designate where the structures will go. Your cultists will need to gather materials to build the structure. Each structure has it's own purpose, which will be detailed later.

Without your followers, you have no hope of winning, even if you didn't die from lacking any. Your followers need you, and you need them, to crush the infidels.

You win by completing your objectives, you lose by failing to do so or dying. It is possible for both cults to win if they don't have conflicting objectives.

Your role: Cultist
You are a loyal and devout cultist of your deity, and you will serve them to your death. Your belief makes your deity stronger. Without you, the deity will be no more. Your deity cannot talk to you directly, unless you are a prophet, or your deity uses a power. You can do many things to assist your cult, from protecting your nexus, to converting station personnel, to building structures and holy items, to robusting security for trying to stop you. You will be able to see all your follow cultists. Enemy cultists cannot be detected. Remember, if you die, you don't technically believe in anything, as your brain doesn't think a whole lot when you're dead. Also stay away from implants and the chaplain's holy water.

You can convert the crew with a special structure or your nexus. You cannot convert enemy cultists unless you remove their cult status first. Implanted crew and anyone holding a null rod cannot be converted without removing the offending object. Enemy prophets are immune to all deconversion.

Your role: Prophet
You are the second in command of your cult. You are the only one who your god can talk to freely. You should be communicating with the cult via covert means whenever possible. You are worth a lot if you're captured, so be sure to be careful. You are also immune to deconversion. Besides your power to hear your deity, you are the same as your fellow cultists.

Your role: Chaplain
You are seen as both a target, and an infidel, by both cults. Your null rod grants immunity to most divine effects, and your holy water can be used to deconvert cultists to neutrals once more. Without your null rod, it is possible for you to be turned to one side. The cult with the chaplain will have a sizable advantage, with easier conversions and protection from godly wraith.

Structures
Building structures requires the deity to designate what structure to build, and where. Structures cost resources, like metal or glass, to build. Structures can be destroyed. Each structure is detailed below.

Nexus - Your deity's anchor to the world. If it's destroyed, your deity dies and you will lose. Your deity has greater potency when using powers near it, and the nexus will repair damage on it's own. You will also receive benefits from being near it. You can also convert new cultists with it.

Conduit - Some of the deity's powers are limited to the Nexus. The conduit can be built anywhere to enable the deity to use nexus-only powers near the conduit, great for extending your reach or for offensive support.

Forge - Creates holy items for your cultists to use. Most items are rather conspicuous, but powerful. They require materials, like metal and glass, to build the items.

Defense Pylon - Creates a pylon which works similarly to a turret. It will engage noncultists and hostile cultists nearby, useful for nexus defense.

Power Pylon - Creates a pylon which increases the power regeneration rate of your deity.

Well - Slowly heals cultists near it.

Gate - Enables teleportation to any other friendly gates created.

Conversion Alter - Enables distant converting.

Sacrificial Alter - Allows you to sacrifice noncultists or enemy cultists, in exchange for a resource that can be used to create powerful items in your forge. Sacrificing an enemy prophet will grant a very powerful resource.

The deity has two build verbs, one to instantly create a nexus for free, but only has one use. The second is a general use build verb that opens a menu asking what you want to start building.

The deity only lays down the "blueprints" for each structure. The cultists have to actually build it with metal and/or glass.

more to be decided later

Powers!
Some powers for the deity are listed below.
Smite will allow a deity to defend their nexus if someone is close to it. It does moderate damage but is rather expensive.
Summon Guardians allows the deity to summon simple mobs which will last for one minute, and will engage anyone that is not a friendly cultist. Very expensive.
Jump to Cultist, Jump to Person, Jump to Nexus, etc are free, as they're there to make moving easier.
Talk to Mortal is an expensive power that lets the deity say something to anyone, useful if there's no time for the prophet to relay the message.
Appoint Prophet lets you add a new prophet, if the old one is dead, braindead, or catatonic. If they're alive, it cannot be done.
Power Word stuns a person near your nexus. The stun is short, but it is cheap. In both ways.
Healing Aura lets the deity heal all friendly cultists that the deity can see, slowly. It costs posts to keep this running.
Cure Disease does what it says, to one cultist.
Invoke Disaster is a high-level power that you can only do with a lot of followers. It causes a random event to occur. Useful for getting the shuttle called.

More might be added later.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Have I not met my hitler quota this month?
Psyentific
Byond Username: Psyentific

Re: Hand of God : A spin-off of Cult

Post by Psyentific » #896

Can we convert Cult into this? Please?
I haven't logged into SS13 in at least a year.
looping
Byond Username: Looping

Post by looping » #905

Let this be the less shitty version of Double Agent for Cult.
appeal me now ok think about it admin u could have a friend a friend who comes down to ur house and listens to ur words but doesnt respond to them because he knows that words are for the weak and physical violence is the superior form of communication but u wont accept this ur scared ur stuck in the prefix of pretification yea thats right ur sitting there stuck to the floor from ur goopy liquid glue sweat unable tro answer the door guess whos there its my friend spooner who is requesting appeal me
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #942

I can't think of a way to make an ion power not suck for the AI. It has so many cool tactical benefits but I know for a fact both deities are gonna rush-kill the AI asap and it literally cannot do anything to stop gods from robusting it with EMP spam.

Just look at it! http://puu.sh/8hxNZ.png
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Feel free to PM me on the forums or IRC with questions, concerns, feedback, or just talk about stuff.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #953

Neerti wrote:I can't think of a way to make an ion power not suck for the AI. It has so many cool tactical benefits but I know for a fact both deities are gonna rush-kill the AI asap and it literally cannot do anything to stop gods from robusting it with EMP spam.

Just look at it! http://puu.sh/8hxNZ.png
hold the fuck up
Is that coded in and working?
And you're only just now pitching this to us?

COMMIT HE
ThrowingMoney.gif

Also, yeah. Either remove Ion, or make the area around the AI Core un-ionable by God powers. I know "You can't do that!" is pretty un-godlike, but there's not really any other way to handle it, outside of asking both Gods to please not smite the AI.
Ivan Issaccs
In-Game Admin
Byond Username: Ivanissaccs

Post by Ivan Issaccs » #1004

I like the idea but the nexus? Maint crawling assistant smashes the nexus the game.
Psyentific

Post by Psyentific » #1006

Ivan Issaccs wrote:I like the idea but the nexus? Maint crawling assistant smashes the nexus the game.
Well, maint IS full of little hidey holes for secret things. Heck, depending on the map some of them are R-Walled. Plus, half the job of a God's followers is going to be protecting the nexus from the maint-crawling assistants.
Alzam
Byond Username: Alzam

Post by Alzam » #1012

I think that there should be some way to choose a new prophet even if they're alive, but make it prohibitively expensive or having it freeze power gain for a bit or something, mostly to give a way to combat griefing shitlers when no admins are on. It'd suck to have a round ruined because your prophet is being an active detriment or goes afk (but not braindead) in a hidden location for an hour or something.
Jalleo
Byond Username: Jalleo

Post by Jalleo » #1057

Alzam there is on old forums there is a design doc for this.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #1171

http://puu.sh/8j2zD.png
Sacrificing works. Also please increase the size limit for [img].

Friendlies cannot be sacrificed.
Saccing a monkey has a 25% chance of getting a lesser gem.
Saccing a borg, human, simple animal (sorry Ian!), or alien will always grant a lesser gem.
Saccing an enemy prophet or AI (good luck with that) will always grant a greater gem.

might add alien queen to greater gem check but I cba to add a path check.

You can sacrifice something that is dead or alive.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Steelpoint
Github User
Byond Username: Steelpoint
Github Username: Steelpoint

Post by Steelpoint » #1193

Given the expansion of Boxstation's maintenance I think there will be less of a problem with the God's having few places to hide. Of course some check will have to be made to ensure they both don't plop their nexus down in the same room together. However it should not inform either god that they cannot spawn there.

I'll throw some random thoughts I have down.

- Same as how the AI can generate a hologram of itself at a holopad, each god should be able to "summon" a ghost of themselves at their nexus, for a hefty fee of course, or free but can only communicate with their prophet.

- I'm interested in how the lesser and greater gems will function, I am assuming they will be used as either components for certain cult structures and cult items.

- If a Nexus is discovered early it needs to be taken into account that it may well devolve into a situation where everyone bum rushes it like Blob. That will need to be taken into account on the balance pass.

- The God should have an expensive way to relocate its Nexus core, either via creating a Nexus receptor at a location or to downsize and have it's prophet take the Mini-Nexus to a new location but quickly.

- I love RTS games, how will structure's function? Will structures be able to be placed anywhere on the z-level, will they have power requirements or need to be within range of a certain structure to function?

- In addition, would it be feasible for the God to construct a "Construct Forge" that allows the construction of basic controllable constructs. Not Wraiths and Juggs but a simple artificer that can help build structures or serve as cannon fodder. Each forge can be set to only build a max cap of constructs.

Looking greatly forward to seeing how this goes!
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #1289

I'm working on defense pylons and their AI, and I've ran into a snag.

As in, how to have targeting work. I've talked a expert coder and they believe that the best way is to use a 'fake area' obj that is invisible to everyone and uses a crossed() proc (step_trigger is perfect for this), and somehow add any mobs inside the fake area (it's an obj, NOT AN AREA) to a list of potential targets, and then do turret stuff. Problem is the fact it requires making 225 (15x15) tiles worth of step_trigger objs and handling the list to one pylon, making sure to remove the mob if it leaves, to add it to list if it enters, do nothing if the mob goes from step_trigger to step_trigger, and tell the pylon that it can shoot if it's off cooldown. This is, I'm told, better then using get_dist() every tick.

The alternate is to copypaste turret code, mainly the machine gun turret code. It get_dist() every tick, so the choice is chosing the lesser of two evils. The fake areas being deleted should cause almost no lag due to being very simple, just an obj and a proc attached. Doing machine gun method would likely be easier, however. A downside of machine gun is it is possible to 'game' the system by stepping in and out between byond ticks to avoid damage.

-edit- I've talked with Coderbus and they said that I can use the bounds var to change how big crossed() and uncrossed() can happen, so I only need one fake area, making the first method the best method.
http://puu.sh/8kQIb.png

-more edit-
Debug text for defense pylons, they're close to being finished.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #2335

so yeah I'm about ready to do this to my pylon code.
I'm probably gonna have to start from scratch since using the 'fake area method' is very, very, very painful as I have to add checks for a shitton of crap like OH WHAT DO WE DO IF A MOB TELEPORTS INTO OUR FAKE AREA! As far as I know I CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO MAKE IT CALL engage() without adding snowflake TO EVERY TELEPORT IN THE GAME WHICH IS LIKE 20+ TELEPORTS INCLUDING ADMIN.

So yeah, process() is less bullshit-rage inducing but the drawback is it will slow the server ever so slightly along with everything else that uses it.

-edit-
wb is now this person down below.
my code.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Jam

Post by Jam » #2700

So, it's going well?
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #2749

I need to finish two (and a half but it's so simple) structures then I'm finished with structures.
For abilities I think I just need to add a few checks for nexus/conduit range, maybe experiment with on_click so the deity can do stuff without using some verbs.
After this, I need to add roundstart antag assignment for both teams and deity creation based on preferences, as well as objective handling. I also need to include follower tracking. Well, they're already tracked but I need a list of followers that are alive. Unfortunately I'm gonna have to do it the shitty way and check how many followers in the list don't have stat == 2 (meaning they're dead) every so often. I'll do every five seconds or maybe ten so it's not quite as hard on the server.
After that, gamemode's done but gotta do some beta testing, make a wiki entry on how to play the gamemode, and make sure everything's together.
Then perhaps it can go live.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Jam

Post by Jam » #2812

When you get finished with this, will there be an "Apotheosis" adminbutton added?
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #2813

There already is one in my code, and for good reason. To test the god mob.

-edit-

I need ideas for the forge recipes. The actual forge is done and it uses Razharas's crafting system so it's pretty neat.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #3050

I've combined the works of Neinhaus's banner and MrSnapwalk's armor for this nice set.
Red stronk.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Jam

Post by Jam » #3228

Well, if the forge creates "unique" items, in that there can exist only one per game, then would a sarcophagus, which would require gold and wood, and would revive whatever corpse was placed in it instantly, and loyal to the cult, regardless of their previous affiliation, at the cost of something like a tenth of the deities maximum power, be possible with the crafting system? If so, would it be balanced?

And, if the forge just creates useful items for followers, a gaudy-looking Scepter of Divine Authority that looks like something that The Pope may have, but, when used as a weapon, would check first that the wielder is a cultist, then, that the person that was hit is a cultist of the other god. If both are true, it functions as a classic police-baton. Another would be an Eye of the Inquisitor. It would require meat, or some other organic material, and a surgery, or another complicated process, but when it's in your skull, it allows you to identify cultists of the other god.
Spoiler:
At the cost of nearsightedness, a really obvious description, like "one eye, no longer the same color as the other, darts wildly around in its socket, which seems to be leaking blood", and, if possible, a change to the wearers face sprite, which would reflected the differently colored eyes, and the socket leaking blood.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #4169

the hype is killing me
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #4177

You can follow my progress and even try out the unfinished gamemode by yourself, with github.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #4449

man im dumb as fuck, i dont know how to use git
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

Post by lumipharon » #6620

Demon sword(bonus points if you literally put someone's spirit into it)/kill stick/lightning claws/other exotic weapon here etc for the forge.

single use, miracle-in-a-can type things, like aoe heal/temporary stun immunity/etc for friendly's, or aoe hellfire/mass mutation against enemies, stuff like that.

Also more generic stuff like armored robes and shit.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6633

Miracle-in-a-can sounds hard to code, to make sure it only does something to friendlies/enemies. I mean, there are already checks for that, but it's much simpler to just be able to use renamed medicine smokegrenades, perhaps.

Generic stuff's already done.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #6646

Well the most obvious example in game currently would be bloodboil, how's that figure it out?
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6656

Probably checks everyone that can see the rune, then checks if it's a cultist, then does massive amounts of damage to noncultist.

An instant 'robust AoE' item might be too stronk.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #6670

Gotta have something from those greater gems or whatever from prophets.

Also when you say only ghosts and the prophet can hear the gods talking, does that mean like, you can't ONLY speak to your prophet, without getting eavesdropped?
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #6772

Will this inevitably have the two factions treated like a normal cult, or could they end up legitimately preaching for followers? Will the two cults be designated as hostile to the station and people not be allowed (on an OOC level) to flock to them willingly any more than a normal cult?
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #6782

The god's objectives can vary from relatively peaceful things like shrine building to murdering security, the other god, the other cult's prophet, or even their own version of escape alone.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #7235

are there objectives that require the two gods to work together?
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #7236

No, but that doesn't mean they don't -have to-.

I also need more armor sprites, one being space-worthy.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Post by paprika » #7273

cult RIG?
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #7287

So far for the 'great tier' armors I got a set for 'robust' armor values for bullets/lasers/melee etc and one for 'spaceproof' that's also fireproof, has radiation shielding, and such.

Not sure for the lower tier armors if I want to specialize and have it be great against one damage type like how we have it now w/ vests or not.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #7336

I like the specialised vests, but I think it would just be over complicating it, for this. Also most damage realistically will be melee damage, with a healthy dose of lasers from sec (or the people that killed them).
Fury McFlurry

Post by Fury McFlurry » #9131

Not sure if this is the place to post sprites. But I made some sprites for a plant like deity structures.

Should I continue with this style?
Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #9172

Yes, I've yet to add the theme selection but that won't be hard to do.
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #17843

Neeeerti.

How's the work?
Spoiler:

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

Neerti
Rarely plays

Post by Neerti » #17857

Still needs work but,
(Each god gets their own objectives, it just so happened to be the same because byond rng.)
ImageImage
- Game Admin -
Amelius
Byond Username: Amelius

Post by Amelius » #18177

Sybil merge and official gamemodo when? Gettin' a bit sick of the same ol' rote, especially with the problems posed by DA, lings, and newcult.

Looks like it mite be cool.
Septavius

Post by Septavius » #25106

rip
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #25167

Septavius wrote:rip
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Silavite
Byond Username: Silavite

Post by Silavite » #29229

Please continue this.
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned

Post by Cipher3 » #29373

Neerti left.
Spoiler:

Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.