9mm ammo/smg change

>implying the game isn't perfect
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator
Byond Username: Lumipharon

9mm ammo/smg change

Post by lumipharon » #7288

9mm ammo got nerfed to 15 damage (from 25), althought the mag size went from 18 to a nice round 20 finally (why the dickens was it ever 18?), 15 damge means it's 7 shots to crit a non armored target, you'd be better off throwing floortiles then making an smg.

Stechkin is literally double the damage of this, and lasers were already better in most cases (xenos/carp etc being weak to burn damage), so why would anyone want to use it anymore, considering it requires research and mining to make, as well as ammo?

I do like the idea of a weaker, non stunning pistol in the game, but not at the expensive of making the smg useless.
paprika
Rarely plays
Byond Username: Paprka

Re: 9mm ammo/smg change

Post by paprika » #7292

Well .45 does 20 damage and stuns which was initially done so the M1911 could be a direct lethal upgrade from the detective's .38 if you didn't want to roll stun revolver, I could make 9mm do 20 damage without the stun to differentiate their power, this was kind of a hasty change really only made because I wanted to balance the protolathe guns in a way that made you sacrifice damage for capacity. Since the smg takes diamond I'll buff 9mm. Thank you for your feedback.
Last edited by paprika on Tue May 20, 2014 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #7293

Maybe decrease shot delay so it feels more like something you can actually spray at people,
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7294

There used to be a 'spray' to it, as in it shot in bursts, at least the c20r did, I'm not sure how that was a thing.

If someone can tell me how to remove the firing delay from the baseline SMG (it would affect the c20r, l6, and tommy gun, which is fine because they're all automatic) then I could keep the 9mm smg at 15 damage but have an incredible potential firepower compared to the pistol version since you can riddle people with bullets.

Edit: https://github.com/NTStation/NTstation13/pull/595

To recap, glock a shit, 1911 is a glock with less capacity but stun, smg is a glock with high ass capacity.
Oldman Robustin wrote:It's an established meme that coders don't play this game.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #7296

the marauder has a burst fire weapon, which can also be made in the exofab I believe, not the same as removing the delay but eh, it's an option.

Also even if you can remove the delay, the total damage per mag is still pretty meh, considering how many hits you need to crit someone. The main weapons I compare it to are the advanced egun and laser cannon.

Advanced egun has regenerating ammo, with damage or stun firemodes, while the laser cannon has 40(?) burn per shot. And if you can make the smg, chances are you'll have the research (and the minerals) for these two, hell the laser cannon and advanced egun only need one mined mineral each (diamond and uranium respectively), while the smg needs silver and diamond. Don't most smg's today have 30 round mags, eh? eh?

the glock is great though, I had the awful idea the other week about issues gun licences, letting the crew carry a weak, non stunning weapon, which the glock fits perfectly...
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7304

My decision to make the SMG 20 rounds was based off the sprite and how much a typical 9mm straight magazine like that holds. If someone makes a sprite with a longer or curved magazine it would make more sense to have a 30 round magazine, aka mp5. Would also make it the fat magazine counterpart to laser cannon/etc.

Also, you have to realize that yeah, you might be able to make a laser cannon, but the laser cannon/advanced e-gun still have to recharge. Manually or automatic, you're stuck without ammo for a lot longer than it takes to reload a 20 round magazine of ranged 20 brute murder. Just carry extra mags.
lumipharon
TGMC Administrator

Post by lumipharon » #7317

Yeah that's true, I don't want to see the smg being OP or anything, just the laser cannon is generally more practical (firing through glass, double damage on a lot of mobs etc), just didn't want to see it become useless, since projectile weapons are fun.
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7325

Agreed, straight damage is usually tossed in the trash in favor of energy because of the stun centric combat, but with some more guns dealing short stuns now and larger capacities, straight brute might be more viable. I mean, it IS the future, lasers and energy bolts being OP is obvious, but guns are still pretty brutal.
AseaHeru
Rarely plays

Post by AseaHeru » #7361

You could always make the 9mm rounds have a (smallish) chance to ingnore armor...
Say its copperjacketed or something.
I am located here, lurking in your posts, leaving piles of transparent wordings and being confused. Oh, I also try to map...

This, this is an example of what I leave for you.
Also, these days I mostly play Ursit McStation, mostly because I like roleplay.
Stickymayhem
Byond Username: Stickymayhem

Post by Stickymayhem » #7413

What about if the bullet hits a leg it has a chance to drop them, if it hits an arm it has a chance to drop the item in that hand.

Simple, strategic and improves guns slightly.
Boris wrote:Sticky is a jackass who has worms where his brain should be, but he also gets exactly what SS13 should be
Super Aggro Crag wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:17 pm Dont engage with sticky he's a subhuman
paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7538

That's pretty ingenious and could be applied to melee as well. That could definitely be a thing if it wasn't balanced to be OP as fuck compared to shooting at heads. Headshots could do more damage/have a small chance to KO with melee, arm shots could have a larger chance to force them to drop the weapon in said hand, and leg shots could weaken/knock people over for a bit.

Imagine smacking an esword out of someone's hand with your toolbox and being master robust!
Cipher3
In Game PermaBanned
Byond Username: Cipher3

Post by Cipher3 » #7556

Yes, though it requires balancing to not totally invalidate robust melee weapons.
Spoiler:
Nathanael Greene has made a woman of Bryce Pax!

Valerie Sinnet says, "Nathaniel Greene charged the brig with a fucking HONK."

[Common] Assists-the-Crew hisses, "Walker Quinn s-s-s-ss-stole the HoP's-s-s-ss-s door"

OOC: HotelBravoLima: I literally can't be removed from power.

I demand this ban be lifted right now. ~Bibliodewangus

Erin Wake whispers, "You should ready up on Badger and boink with me..."

"I think you guys are just tired of drinking hitler and now you want diet hitler.
I've got all that great hitler flavor but only half the hitler calories." - Anon3

You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that PR matters. ~MisterPerson

DEAD: Ichigo Momomiya says, "Coravin's just an ass."

Linus Johnson says, "Hey you know I got this game Skyrim last week"
Linus Johnson says, "I have a level 19 ranger and its so fun"
Weston Zadovsky says, "did he just"
Weston Zadovsky says, "fucking hell"

The emergency shuttle has been called. It will arrive in 10 minutes.
Nature of emergency:
Coravin, just Coravin.

Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Fucking get out."
Coravin Vattes asks, "Please?"
Beryl Nyuphoran says, "Please get the fuck outta my lab."
Coravin Vattes exclaims, "Okay!"
[Common] Beryl Nyuphoran {RD} asks, "WHO GAVE CORAVIN ALL ACCESS?"

Lindsay Donk stammers, "L-Luc-ck w-was-s-s s-s-such-h a beaut-tifu p-p-p-pr-r-rom-m q-q-q-queen"

Ty Andrews curls up in a ball on the floor and purrs.

by oranges » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm
Get out bluespace, you've not been relevant since you lost the elections

That said, I think there are a shitton of degenerates here and I'd probably gas the lot of you if I had the chance. ~Loonikus

paprika
Rarely plays

Post by paprika » #7557

Oh yeah the damage dealt by attacking limbs will be considerably less than head/chest because realism. This would also help to tie into a more complex medical system too.